Do you plan on attending beer fests again?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, May 16, 2020.

?

Are you ready for beer fests?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2020.
  1. Yes, I'm ready to party (when allowed)!

612 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Yes, but only when a vaccine is available.

357 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No, I'll be avoiding them for the foreseeable future.

294 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. I don't attend beer fests.

165 vote(s)
    11.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerGeeuzzler

BeerGeeuzzler Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2008 Maryland

Attended several Savors plus others. Fun. But now prefer to try out local breweries and brewpubs.

2. SocioSam

SocioSam Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2018

At 71 and a science geek, I'll be playing it safe until health scientists and epidemiologists give the all clear sign.

3. bauers

bauers Disciple (399) Feb 6, 2011 California
    Society Trader

I had tix to several fests that were cancelled/postponed due to the virus and SIP:

JuicyBrews West Coast
    The Bruery Invitational
    Firestone Walker Invitational

I've kept my tickets for the rescheduled dates, hoping that by then we'll either have a vaccine or an effective treatment.

[On the other hand, I was able to make it to Hopocalypse Day and SF BeerWeek events in February before the SIP, so I did get some festivities in this year. :-]

4. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (148) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Absolutely.

Bitterbill likes this.
  5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,062) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

My GABF buddy and I were just discussing this. We are just going to grab a couple special bottles a piece and have our own bottle share instead.

6. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Meyvn (1,179) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

Good Luck! I would love to see your little brewery some day and taste your brews! I am a big fan of entrepreneurs.

AlcahueteJ and JH61 like this.
  7. justinhower

justinhower Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2008 New York

I love festivals. I have fond memories of the many festivals I enjoyed in my youth. Except I don’t really remember them. It’s great to be able to try an abundance of beer, meet an abundance of brewers and beer people, etc., without much effort or expense, but the discipline required now for me given my health problems (and you know, desire to remember what I tried the next morning), the negative heavily outweigh the the hope. Nothing will obscure the joys of the early feats under the Brooklyn Bridge last century. I DO remember Carol Stout and I’m sure someone could remind me of other names, but so many of the beers I was happy to find in New York for the first time, well, that’s an unwritten and unwriteable book. Admittedly, I never met a spit bucket I desired to add to. My appetites were greedy and undisciplined. I make no apologies and none were asked for, but I surely wish there was a better way.

hottenot likes this.
  8. BattleRoadBrewer

BattleRoadBrewer Zealot (591) Oct 8, 2005 Massachusetts

I would go to an "un-allowed" fest, let alone an allowed one. Same precautions as before COVID, don't swap glasses with strangers and stay away from germy looking people (red nose, bloodshot eyes).

Also, I think when we get antibody test rolling, zillions of people are going to be surprised that they caught it already and didn't even realize it.

Bigrock and ChicagoJ like this.
  9. pants678

pants678 Savant (937) Jan 26, 2009 California
    Trader

Ditto. However, I admit I might feel differently if I see a number of festivals go off w/o issue.

10. melissamarcotte

melissamarcotte Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2018

More white wheats, please!

11. MickAv8r

MickAv8r Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2006 New Hampshire

Stopped going in general several years ago. Used to religiously hit the BA Extreme and Belgian fests in Boston but as they got bigger the quality IMO went down and the hassle went up exponentially.

The 10-20 of us who’d go decided we could live without them and do our own personal fest since some lived in different regions and also picked stuff up for in their travels.

Frankly with the wide proliferation of nano breweries I’m simply not wanting for interesting and new beers to try so the day of the beer festival with the exception of something like an Octoberfest or a competition like GABF is past.

hottenot and BBThunderbolt like this.
  12. readyski

readyski Defender (601) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Society Trader

There are perhaps a range of us who don't attend much if ever. Probably been to 2 or 3, not really a big deal (but fun). Accordingly my habit won't change much, but I would attend another if the opportunity arises.

13. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (166) Jun 17, 2017 New York
    Trader

It's great! Human capital is greatest thing, I love it, it's not a plague it's a blessing.

14. RMF5630

RMF5630 Initiate (27) Mar 30, 2018 Florida

We only do one specific beer fest, Wurstfest in New Braunsfels. We will go to Hofbrauhaus during the Octoberfest season. It is more not liking crowds of people than COVID.

Bigrock likes this.
  15. HughdaMann

HughdaMann Initiate (22) Sep 17, 2009 Massachusetts

I only go to NERAX any more, but I sure do miss it. First they dropped NERAX North, and now this. It's enough to drive a man to drink.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  16. BeerDriver11479

BeerDriver11479 Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2020

I am a so called essential worker and have been all over the U.S. in the last few months including hot spots from N.Y. to Cali. Have not gotten sick have not tested positive and we can't blame that on good food and clean living because nothing has been available for truck drivers except subway or heart attack in a sack.
    Honestly I'm beginning to believe this whole thing is at best a sham to hide power grabs by power hungry pols. And at worst an intentionally orchestrated "crisis" for obvious reasons.
    So while my home state Gov is on step one most of the people I know are on step 5 and ready to rock and get back to real life and sanity quickly

Bigrock and SP23 like this.
  17. Bierpapst

Bierpapst Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2004 Austria

In our country craftbeer festivals are more relaxed and less crowded than those in the US, if you want you can get somewhat larger samples and you have much more time - sessions start at 4 pm and last till 11. The same holds true for those festivals in Germany that I have attended in the last few years.
    I doubt that there will be any larger events before the end of this year - both our government and the festival organizers believe that larger events are not safe yet. But once they are considered to be safe I will definitely attend.
    By the way: Austria has re-opened pubs and restaurants two days ago with some restrictions and we will se if this has any effect of infection rates

thesherrybomber likes this.
  18. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I voted: I don't attend beer fests. I went to the local beer fest from 2013-2017 but gave up on going, and haven't ever attended any others. I didn't think $60 was a bad price for the VIP since it was limited to one-third the admission of the regular sessions but when they started using Eventbrite as the only way to get tickets, and that $60 ticket became $75 due to Eventbrite's fees, I was done with it.

19. Rocktire

Rocktire Disciple (312) Jan 15, 2017 New York
    Society

TapNY and LABfest at Industrial Arts are the only fests I’ve been to in the last couple years, and if they return I would definitely attend.

JemmyVA likes this.
  20. Qu3st

Qu3st Disciple (324) Dec 4, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

It would need to be mask mandatory and enforced. Otherwise I'll need to wait, not worth risking my parent's or wife's lives . All are higher risk, I'd never be able to drink a beer again.

Bchlver and BBThunderbolt like this.
  21. chezztone

chezztone Initiate (171) Sep 8, 2005 Oregon

Yes, when I heard the Oregon Brewers Festival was canceled for this year, that's the one that really got me.
    Since I'm a working musician you'd think the cancellation of music festivals would upset me more. I mean yeah, I'm out of work and the world is out of live music, it's a horrible situation. But emotionally, hearing that that beer festival wouldn't happen really saddened me. Still does.
    For one thing it's in late July, for gosh sakes. I have been very observant of the stay-at-home order, hardly go anywhere, not even to grocery stores. But I thought by late July we'd be able to drink beers with other people out in a park.
    It's something I look forward to every year -- the beers of course but also the camaraderie with friends and strangers, being outside in a park and starting drinking early in the day, my volunteer job there in bicycle parking with the other cool volunteers, etc.
    It just feels like the virus has gone too far now, to take away our beer festival...

Rocktire likes this.
  22. chezztone

chezztone Initiate (171) Sep 8, 2005 Oregon

Uh, no. The insidious thing about this virus is that many people are asymptomatic, spreading it without realizing it (or before they realize it a week later). That's why we ALL are under lockdown, that's the way to slow its spread. Thank you.

23. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,804) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I'm in the "over fests" camp. I've been to dozens, well over a hundred, on both sides of the tap, and they're just not that fun anymore.

Micro pours, rude people, average beer, fuck it. My exceptions are focused events: Belgianfest, Caskfest, etc.

JemmyVA, SFACRKnight and Bitterbill like this.
  24. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,894) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

This is funny, even if it is true. And I am a compassionate person. Really, I am. ;-)

25. rms777

rms777 Initiate (93) May 20, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

i am more into tap takeovers. towards the end of a 4 hour beer fest they start to blend together because it's hard to just dump a beer that's even halfway decent.

26. wh400

wh400 Initiate (47) Feb 24, 2014 Alabama

I'm actually not waiting for everyone to say it's okay. I'd be willing to attend one as long as we know that we can.

27. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,264) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I don't mind mandated masks in public, but how do you mask mandate a beer festival? How are you supposed to drink with a mask on? Everyone will just be walking around with a mask hanging half off their face as they smell and taste the beer. Mandating masks at a food or drink event doesn't make sense to me. You're probably better off not having the event if things are that bad.

For me going to a festival would probably depend on the amount of people globally that are infected. If we can get to a point where maybe less than 10,000 people globally are infected, or something like that along with a well trusted robust treatment and/or vaccine is available, then I might consider mass gatherings again. I've only been to a few beer fests anyway. It would be cool if breweries just started packaging more of those awesome beers to go and maybe distribute farther, rather than creating more exclusive releases or festivals that attract people to try those awesome beers. It's still hard to trust everybody with this thing though, so I will always remain wary and vigilant. We'll see what happens with the validity of antibody tests once we know a little more about the virus and if people will remain immune or not.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  28. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Devotee (402) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Deactivated

29. Bear61

Bear61 Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2019

I'm 58 and disabled ( compromised) and GOV. has taken to many of are rights which I've fighted for it's your right to dye fighting (working) and enjoy making great new memories !

30. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Meyvn (1,179) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

How do you drink beer with a mask?

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  31. StoutElk_92

Society

Maybe we need a niqab mandatory beer fest?

thesherrybomber likes this.
  32. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Devotee (402) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Deactivated

True story, I would rather wear a burka than a mask

SFACRKnight and JSullivan like this.
  33. Beerchum

Beerchum Initiate (30) Oct 8, 2017 California

It, too, miss pouring.

We're a teeny-tiny nano-brewery, but we have some dedicated fans who actually look to be 1st in line at our booth for opening. That's a sweet feeling (and part of The ManyFriends Thing™).

But even in addition to that, I love the interactions and the people. I guess that's why I'm in the beer business, in the first place -- it sure ain't because I love washing dishes! :grinning:

Rocktire and StoutElk_92 like this.
  34. StoutElk_92

Society

Thinking about it now, I usually wear a bandana when I go out now with the mask mandate in my state, and I guess I can put a tasting cup underneath that to smell and taste the beer. The face would be exposed when the bottom of the bandana is lifted though. Maybe they can mandate and give free bandanas to attendees? It still doesn't seem fully effective though, and people can easily take it off and not follow rules. Maybe they can just test everybody a few days before the festival and refund anyone who is found positive? It's such a crazy scenario.

Bchlver and thesherrybomber like this.
  35. Bigbeerman

Bigbeerman Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2020 New York

This is a tough decision I enjoy beer festivals. but it's going to be hard to make up my mind.
    I said yes I will but its going to be one of those things that depends on were we are with this crazy virus.
    If it is getting worse at the time of the fest I'll avoid it
    Also depends on how big the festival and if it's indoors or out

Stay safe my friends, hope to see you soon in the bars : )

36. purplegirl

purplegirl Initiate (46) Aug 20, 2018 Wisconsin

If people are waiting for a vaccine, they could be waiting a long time. It's possible that an effective vaccine for COVID19 is not even attainable. There are currently no approved human coronavirus vaccines.

Rocktire likes this.
  37. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Initiate (150) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina

Similar feelings. We've done some really great ones, some smaller and unique ones (all firkin/cask beers), and enjoyed them a great deal.
    However our preference has changed to where we enjoy meeting friends at a brewery for conversation vs. standing in one line after another for a beer.

beergoot likes this.
  38. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,313) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Only beer fest I attend is the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison. Happens every August but this years was canceled. Maybe in 2021.

Tilley4 and ChicagoJ like this.
  39. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,424) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I've only ever been to one beer festival. I picked "Yes" because I probably won't be able to attend one until at least next year anyway.

40. half-hearted_jumper

half-hearted_jumper Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2020 Japan

I'm in Japan, and will definitely waiting until a vaccine, or at the very least a treatment (one that doesn't impact you almost as badly as the virus) is available.

As far as hygiene/washing hands - I don't trust my fellow man. :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.