Do you plan on attending beer fests again?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, May 16, 2020.

?

Are you ready for beer fests?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2020.
  1. Yes, I'm ready to party (when allowed)!

612 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Yes, but only when a vaccine is available.

357 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No, I'll be avoiding them for the foreseeable future.

294 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. I don't attend beer fests.

165 vote(s)
    11.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,112) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I went with the first option. That said, the only "beer fest" I attend is Zwanze Day. If they decide to limit attendance and enforce "social distancing" (God, I hate that term) I'll take a pass this year.

2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,996) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Oh come on. As long as people stay six feet away from each other while drinking their samples, and don’t talk to anyone while doing it, it will be totally fine.

I mean, what do you think is going to happen when everyone’s been drinking? Drunks are super responsible.

Shit, I didn’t even think of that. I can’t see that many people being able to fly into a state for something non-essential like a beer fest anytime soon.

I mentioned this in another thread too, but what about people taking Ubers to these things?

When’s the next time people are going to feel comfortable taking an Uber?

Yup, I hate that term too. I pretty much have become tired of all COVID-19 related phrases.

BrewmanCapote, Bigrock and dcotom like this.
  3. Thors_Bounty

Thors_Bounty Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2014 Florida

For festivals I seem to not get a ticket in time. For breweries I kinda stopped going. Too many people and their damn kids. There would be less people now so maybe I could be convinced to go back for a visit but probably not.

4. JakeWarrenPgh

JakeWarrenPgh Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

For people like me, with a wife who is a chemo survivor, it’s a question of protecting her. She’s 3 to 5 times more susceptible to succumbing to COVID as an ordinary healthy person. So these polls are somewhat misleading because I’m not really answering for myself. I’d guess that’s the case for a lot of care givers like me in similar situations or those who interact regularly with elderly parents.

5. JakeWarrenPgh

JakeWarrenPgh Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

You’d be correct if every carrier had symptoms, but they don’t.

6. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,346) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

Reading posts such as "won't go outside, until they have a vaccine" makes me laugh. God, what a nation of nancies we have become. The fear mongers in the media have done their job. I plan to hit some festivals when this panic-demic is over - assuming it is ever over.

dcotom and SP23 like this.
  7. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Devotee (402) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Deactivated

You'd rather we all be "MURICA! FREEDUMB! WOOHOO!" types?

BrewmanCapote and AlcahueteJ like this.
  8. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,996) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Well, World War I was kind of a big deal, and we’re going to surpass the amount of US deaths during WWI very soon...which only took about four months...and three of those four months we were sheltered in place...

While I’m not in the “won’t go outside until a vaccine” camp, I probably won’t be rushing out to a beer festival in the next month or two either.

One camp is paranoid, the other is ignorant.

JSullivan likes this.
  9. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (196) Nov 8, 2009 New York

That’s most people after a couple hours at a brew fest.

bluejacket74 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  10. IPAs_for_days_13

IPAs_for_days_13 Devotee (444) May 29, 2020 Texas

As soon as I catch wind of a beer fest that is actually going to happen, I'm all in.

SP23, unlikelyspiderperson and dcotom like this.
  11. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,088) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I feel like there’s a very good reason there was a gap in this thread from May to September. The question posed by the OP was rendered moot by reality.

A lot of places have made good progress against this virus over the summer by following science. Where I live, we are down to 27 new cases per 100k population over the last 7 days (10% of the current rate in North Dakota). So no, I think attending a beer fest would be one of the stupider choices I could make at this juncture. Beer out of cans and bottles tastes just as good, and even better with the knowledge I’m not risking either spreading the illness or contracting it in the process.

12. Todd

Todd Founder (6,716) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

"When allowed" was the caveat here (that many missed) and when we're allowed continues to be pushed back by those who believe that pandemic rules don't apply to them; amongst other obstacles.

As it stands now, I don't see mass gatherings like beer fests (as we knew them) occurring for at least another year.

13. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,088) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Agree with all of this. If “when allowed” had also been included in the thread title, and not just the first post (6 pages back), fewer people probably would have overlooked that significant caveat.

sharpski likes this.
  14. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,194) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

You're expecting summer of 2021 to be a wash for large events as well?

I hope you're wrong for sure and I do suspect that restrictions will be largely lifted in 6-9 months. how swiftly organizers and attendees feel comfortable may be another question but id wager there will be some large tests next summer

officerbill likes this.
  15. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I think it will depend on the state.
    I don't see NY or CA approving a large beer fest anytime next year, but I would expect them, perhaps with reduced capacity, in FL or TX.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  16. Todd

As things stand now, yes. I don't see mass gatherings occurring until at least Q3/Q4.
    Exactly. I hope things change and we can host them sooner, but we also have to plan for the unknown and the fact that even if we can host them that it might be some time before everyone is comfortable attending them.

17. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Ya, I don't envy your position as an event planner. I hope to attend a ba fest soon. Luckily for me I have small children so I didn't miss out on any events this year and by the time everyone is hosting agai n I might actually be able to attend!

AlcahueteJ, sharpski and FBarber like this.
  18. Todd

Me either. Before the pandemic, fests were our core source of revenue and the loss is quite signficant.

19. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,665) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Even after 'when allowed' comes along, I suspect there will still be a signifcant drag behind of when people will go.
    Yes of course some folks would go today if an event was held, but if that is even 50% of previous regular attendees (an overestimate IMO, but for arguments sake) of an event and the other 50% arent ready, will it make sense economically for event organizers to do so?
    Something about leading a horse to water may apply here. Beer fests happening on the regular may be driven by two factors IMO.
    Geography, what State is hosting an event
    AND
    Larger feeling safety at such an event in general population.

Im not currently feeling the crashing need to attend a beer fest with 200 of my closest strangers.

20. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Ya I hope you guys can weather this storm well and that pent up demand will make your return to fest hosting a smash success

AlcahueteJ, Todd and jakecattleco like this.
  21. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,076) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Forget reduced capacity - DeSantis just announced it's business as usual in Florida. It's paaarrtttyyy time down there.....

officerbill likes this.
  22. gr8ful

gr8ful Initiate (105) Aug 17, 2014 Texas

Good luck! I hope you're working again soon!

ChicagoJ likes this.
  23. deleted_user_995920

deleted_user_995920 Crusader (796) Jun 4, 2015

It will get better again-

Todd likes this.
  24. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,523) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Can't wait for Great Taste this fall...I miss the festival and my friends up that way

25. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Younger folks -the 21-40 crowd- would likely get back into the groove quickly but I felt the whole fest thing was waning a bit pre-COVID. Not sure how they were measuring up on projected attendance ?(@Todd ) but locally the popularity of this concept appeared on the decline. Sure there will be the "other side" at some point but seems like smaller is going to be better for the future irrespective of COVID.

Personally, I doubt that I will ever go to anything of any size in the future. Sure I'm older now (55), have been vaccinated but even if COVID was a non-issue, there is so much great beer now more readily available than ever that flying all over for the fest experience has simpler, and to me, equally attractive alternatives.

AlcahueteJ and colby600 like this.
  26. Todd

In 2019, we sold out Extreme Beer Fest: Boston with over 12,000 attendees. FUNK Boston and IPA Fest: Brooklyn didn't sell out, but there were a ton of other events happening on those weekends. And Extreme Beer Fest: Boston in 2020 sold out too.

The events industry has been destroyed by COVID-19, but I think those who make it to the other side of all of this will be in a solid position to capture what I think will be a high-demand for in-person events. It's just going to take a good part of a year, or maybe even more, to get there.

27. nheinemans

nheinemans Initiate (33) Nov 4, 2017 Netherlands
    Trader

Obviously wait for vaccins and for traveling to go back to normal. Can't wait to visit beer festivals again and meet new people.

Todd likes this.
  28. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Ya man let’s go let’s do this. I’d literally go anywhere tomorrow .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.