Do you play beer drinking games with Craft Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Oct 17, 2012.

?

Do you play drinking games and do you play with craft?

1. Yes I play beer drinking games and yes I use craft

26.1%
  2. Yes I play beer drinking games but I use cheap BMC

26.1%
  3. No I don't play drinking games, what is this a frat? GTFO

47.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNoodleIncident

TheNoodleIncident Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2012 New York

Whenever I do play games (usually pong), the intention is always to play with a light macro lager. The times that craft gets involved is usually when it's late at night, all the cheap crap is gone, and we still want to play more so the fridge gets raided. This usually results in a hangover. Fortunately, I don't keep any really big beers in my main fridge, so it's usually something like a sam adams or SNPA. Still, it's amazing how big of a difference a few little ABV percentage points can make.

On the other hand, if I'm playing a more relaxed game where the drinking is less strict, I might use some decent craft that I had planned on drinking anyway.

A buddy of mine used to play pong with Bacardi 151 in college - people should be dead.

2. TheNoodleIncident

TheNoodleIncident Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2012 New York

Also, for those who who don't "need" games, I think that most of us (at least myself) aren't playing games because we "need" them. I like to play them because they are fun and I like the competition - especially beer pong. Gives you something to do - just like pool, darts or anything else.

3. rodrigueZflyingf0x

rodrigueZflyingf0x Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

Sometimes my friends and I play beer pong with Westy 12. Then we build these cute little snowmen with caviar.

4. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

I'm playing 'On a cruise to the Bahamas' with DFH Black & Blue right now. See ya in a week!!

[​IMG]

robinsmv likes this.
  5. RobinLee

RobinLee Defender (612) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Too expensive to maintain, but it's fun while it lasts. It's been a while since I've played a drinking game, though. We usually just hang out, and drinking just occurs as a coincidence.

I have an interesting story about drinking games. My (Korean) parents sometimes tell me of the games they used to play. In Korea, the winner usually drinks. In America, the losers drink. It's an interesting dichotomy of drinking as punishment and drinking as reward.

6. jaheussner

jaheussner Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2008 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Nothin' wrong with getting a 30 rack of Keystone and playing survivor flip cup with 11 of your closest friends. Playing pong, etc. with decent beer is just a waste of decent beer.

7. Rinkor16

Rinkor16 Aspirant (227) Dec 12, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

More often than not, I'd rather drink a craft beer during a drinking game than a BMC beer. SNPA is definitely my go to beer.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I meant the gambling part. Here we can't bet money on anything like that.

9. nrs207

nrs207 Defender (687) Sep 8, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Oh, well we don't actually bet. It's just like a prize thing. It's free to enter and you can't bet on the games (at least blatantly). The winner just gets a prize sponsored by the bar. If you can't even do that in VA, that's a bummer. I know they do it all over the place and in NJ and NY and there's the World Series of beer pong in Vegas every year for 50k.

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I misunderstood, I didn't read it as a free to enter contest with the bar putting up the prize. That's perfectly normal.

11. squirrely2005

squirrely2005 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2011 Texas

I don't see why you couldn't play with craft. Beer is beer. I'm pretty sure it'll get me drunk just the same and taste the same as if I'm drinking it in a game or if I'm drinking it not playing a game. Unless it's a fast paced game.
    Played beer pong on saturday with dfh Namaste. I did play linked with SNPA a few weeks back. That didn't work out so well.

12. danoeltico

danoeltico Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Tried beer pong with yuengling and it was too heavy. Even I admitted that, changed to bud light :slight_frown:

13. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Savant (979) Sep 4, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Semi off topic but...I have occasionally caught myself saying Apples to Apples and such are fun drinking games. Then I have to correct myself and say they are fun games to play while drinking. Don't get me wrong I do like to drink a good amount from time to time :wink: but I don't see the point in playing a game to get drunk. If I'm drunk and want to play a game so be it.

Go ahead and bash my logic if you'd like.

14. LambicKing

LambicKing Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Germany

10 years ago. Now, I prefer to enjoy a craft beer or two in an evening...surpassing that count a few times per year.

tronester likes this.
  15. Kinsman

Kinsman Champion (873) Aug 26, 2009 California

Are you thinking of Fuzzy Duck?

I obviously don't play games as much as I did in college but I've always mixed it up. I remember being a freshmen and asking my older rugby teammates to pick me up Sam Adams or Harpoon 12-packs most weeks. Between that and splitting a 30 rack with a friend I was all set for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Nowadays, I still mix it up between pounders of Nargansett or Genny Cream and craft depending on what I have in the fridge or budget that week.

16. Mosstrooper

Mosstrooper Meyvn (1,004) Jul 17, 2008 California

I chose the second option for this poll, though it requires some explanation:

I do play drinking games from time to time, and I almost always use BMC, but have used craft beer occasionally. In college, a couple friends and I played a drinking game to the movie 300 with Shiner Bock, that was actually a lot of fun. On my birthday this year a few friends and I played a game of Kings (aka King's Cup). One of my friends and I were drinking DFH Punkin, Stone RIS, and Stone Ruination (on top of Bud Light) for that game- it turned out to be a really bad idea...

Pretty sure I've also used Sam Adams beers or Sierra Nevada in other games of Kings back in college, but I'm not sure- I've drank a lot since then.

17. RStang13

RStang13 Initiate (105) Jun 22, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

the few times ive played pong or flip cup in the past few years i used craft in my cups. but we play poker on a somewhat regular basis which inevitably turns over to drinking card games by the end of the night, which means im usually drinking high abv by the time asshole or the like starts up. good thing i usually host :slight_smile:

on another note, Victory down at xfinity live encourages drinking games and supplies whatever you need.

STORM KING FLIP CUP!

18. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

19. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,880) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Member Beer Trader

No, I don't and I see the majority of BAs agree. Youzza!

20. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

21. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (970) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Usually only .rar or expensive stuff since Im already being wasteful. 3F gueze beer pong, heady topper flip cup, BA Cigar city bottles for kings. It's like throwing money into a hurricane.

22. squirrely2005

squirrely2005 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2011 Texas

Yeah me and my friends usually have a game night once a week(didn't get to go last night) and play tons of games. If ya like Apples to Apples check out Cards Against Humanity. My friend found it and you can just print out the cards instead of buying it but it's a lot of work to cut up. Funny as hell.
    Only thing about the game night is that I'm the only one that drinks craft and sometimes we don't all drink and it's kind of weird being a drunk around sober people and vice versa.

LilBilly666 and Eriktheipaman like this.
  23. margles

margles Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2011 Kentucky

Always use a canned light beer for drinking games. Especially beer pong. Why try to use good craft beer? That makes no sense. There is a place for all beer. Summertime by the pool light beers. Drinking games light beer. Craft beer is for drinking and enjoying every drink!

24. Steeeve

Steeeve Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

I have done it. Sometimes your friends want to play and that's all you have! Just take a lesson and don't play with Golden Monkey.

25. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

I don't really play the games to get hammered It's just something fun to do. (maybe I play it once a year)

26. dmoser

dmoser Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 California

i play beer drinking hockey video game with craft. drink every stoppage in play.

27. mintjellie

mintjellie Defender (630) Oct 2, 2005 Ontario (Canada)

I'm in college, what do you think? :stuck_out_tongue:

I'll use a halfway decent macro option like hoegaarden or dos equis. Or an entry level craft option. Would never play it with a big beer. Seems like using DIPA, RIS, Barleywines, Doppelbocks, etc is asking for trouble.

Sometimes I'll even use a local cider. We have a couple of good ones produced here in Ontario.

28. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

This is my favorite drinking game. It's great for all levels of tolerance and beer types.

robinsmv likes this.
  29. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Devotee (497) Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I don't always play beer pong, but when I do...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

queens1130, LSUPT, robinsmv and 6 others like this.
  30. Rinkor16

Rinkor16 Aspirant (227) Dec 12, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Now that's an expensive game of beer pong!

31. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 California

Where's the "I don't really care what beer I use for drinking games, and will grab whatever I find first" option?

32. OneBeertoRTA

Beer Trader

If you order the balls and cups online you can get a bunch for under $10

33. LilBilly666

LilBilly666 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Georgia

Drinking games/beer games are stupid.

34. Dools9

Dools9 Zealot (535) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

I'm the same way. No sense in wasting the good stuff. Especially when you're drunk and can't taste anything anyways, I'd rather go with a cheap 18 or 30.

35. ElGallo

ElGallo Champion (846) Sep 26, 2009 New Hampshire

The last time I played beer games was in college (many moons ago). Our floor hosted a Beer Olympics (pretty much every beer game known to man). We drew partners, and my partner only drank hard cider. Suffice it to say that Woodchuck Dark makes for one "interesting" night of beer games. The next day was a blur. That aside, I would love to play a game of beer pong with some Zombie Dust, Sucks, or Elder.

36. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Aspirant (226) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I don't care what people do with their beer, but I just have no interest in playing drinking games. I've played pong once or twice with Hoegaarden, but would find myself drinking the beer when I'm not "supposed to". I don't see the benefit in playing a game where you can only drink your beer if you're loosing.

37. OneBeertoRTA

Beer Trader

I've never played a drinking game where I didn't have a side beer.

LSUPT likes this.
  38. seplo

seplo Aspirant (271) Sep 8, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

i completly messed up and played multiple games of beer pong with craft beer, i really wish i could remember all the beers used but the one that sticks out is NEBCO Gandhi Bot, i will NEVER use craft beer for that again

39. DarthKostrizer

DarthKostrizer Meyvn (1,219) May 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Only if the game involves pretty ladies getting naked

40. LSUPT

LSUPT Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2011 California

I played beer pong with the last bit of a Kern River Citra growler one time, on my side only of course, and you basically have to throw the game in that situation. So, not the best idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.