Do you think it should be possible to comment on reviews?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Ceddd99, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (63) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

Other sites like amazon allow people to comment on customer reviews, which can make for some interesting debates. Of course beer preferences are far more subjective than book reviews or reviews of many other consumer products, so perhaps it would not be a good idea or is simply not necessary.

I guess it might discourage some people from saying certain things for fear of criticism, but there have been a few times when I have wanted to comment on someone's review.

2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,947) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

I think there are too many other places better suited to pissing matches than the beer reviews section. If someone has something to contribute, he can write his own review.

Daveshek28, Smakawhat, Vason and 34 others like this.
  3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,386) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Absolutely not. And this incoming from someone who has seen his fair share of reviews for which I'd love to call out the reviewer for either a terrible review or docking a beer for idiotic reasons. There is really no good that can come from being able to comment on reviews - it would most likely just turn into people arguing over what amounts to a personal subjective preferences and non-professional reviews. If you don't like a review - write your own review and even comment (generally) in your review on whatever you disagree with in the other reviews.

4. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Poo-Bah (2,896) Feb 26, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

I really don't see the point. If you agree with their review, you can 'like' it. If you disagree with the review, well... move along.

It seems to me that adding the ability to comment on reviews is just asking for a whole bunch of unnecessary, irrelevant clutter. Clutter that is inevitably going to need to be moderated.

5. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,324) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

6. Bouleboubier

Bouleboubier Poo-Bah (2,160) Dec 22, 2006 New Jersey
    Premium

I review beers for my own reference. If I want someone else's opinion, I'll look through the other reviews.

7. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,107) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Premium

I think this is something that the site offers that many miss the point of (asuming I understand the point). If you agree with a review, meaning that the reviewer got more or less the same sensations from the beer that you got, you can like it to boost that review in the default ordering of reviews. More people will see that review as it will be "representative" of multiple advocates, in theory.

I don't think the like on reviews is meant for liking the review, but for agreeing with its description of the beer's aspects. It seems to make sense if treated properly - and it's a tool I think non-reviewers could use. (Am I way off, @Todd @Jason?)

Either way, I agree with most - while I get the idea of the OP, I just don't think it works for this site. I just think there's no way to maintain discourse that is useful and civil across so many beers.

8. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Disciple (383) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

A beer review is, by it's very nature, going to be subjective and personal. People will also have their own individual reasons for reviewing. These things would lead to comments skewing to the negative. This would be a deterrent to reviewing in the first place. It would also be an absolute nightmare to moderate across thousands and thousands of different beers.

russpowell, Premo88, colby600 and 5 others like this.
  9. flaskman

flaskman Devotee (447) Aug 3, 2015 New York
    Premium

I don't see any reason for it. Save the comments for the forums. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,947) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I can like 'em or leave 'em but no, I don't want to comment on them. Comments lead to criticism and no good can come of that.

flaskman, russpowell, Premo88 and 7 others like this.
  11. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (63) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Simply put, no! Absolutely nothing good would come from it.

12. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (149) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

All I do with reviews that aren't my own are like @woodychandler 's reviews. Cheers!

13. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,042) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium

No. If a BA feels compelled to comment on a review, they can always start a conversation with the reviewer.

14. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Zealot (542) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Premium Trader

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

15. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Poo-Bah (1,714) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Premium Trader

/thread

16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,000) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

You can reward a good review by liking it, and I think that's the rightest way to handle it without being a deterrent to timid folks who would shun reviewing if there were any criticism, real or perceived.

17. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,157) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Premium Trader

Unless I haven’t been paying close enough attention, we’ve finally escaped/outran/outlasted trolls on this site. Opening up reviews to comments would lead to a troll stampede that would look like that World War Z zombie horde.

flaskman, russpowell, Premo88 and 7 others like this.
  18. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,000) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

There will never be an end to trolls or asshats, but yeah, no need to feed them

19. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,570) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

No way, I don't review beers because I don't like the way I review them in retrospect. I'd be horrified if guys were piling on, for sure I'd never ever participate. I'd be ok with a thumbs up, down or a meh sideways. It's easy to the point and requires no words.

flaskman, Premo88 and dcotom like this.
  20. Amendm

Amendm Aspirant (283) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

No, looks like a consensus here.

flaskman, dcotom and Premo88 like this.
  21. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Savant (960) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Premium Trader

Agree on the 'no' opinions. Besides that, there are probably better things for the BA developers to spend their time on building for the BA members.

bbtkd, flaskman, dcotom and 3 others like this.
  22. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,707) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Premium Trader

Well said.

I agree with @dcotom 100%. The last thing any of us who care about doing reviews needs is reviews of our reviews.

23. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (149) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

Plus, if you review a review nobody will see it anyway, the only thing it will do is annoy the original reviewer. If you want to truly shitpost and start something, go the @EvenMoreJesus route and openly mock them on a forum:laughing:

Premo88, jrnyc and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  24. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (780) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Yeah, grow a sack and call them out where everyone can see it.

25. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,109) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

Ever read the Youtube comment sections? Those people are fucking savages. I've seen some people on this site who are on a similar level, and I have no interest in their opinion on my beer reviews.

I've certainly read some reviews and wanted to punch someone in the face, but I think allowing comments would be a bad idea.

FBarber, dcotom and IPAExpert69 like this.
  26. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,589) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Premium

Don't have the time to write your own review, but have plenty of time to somehow comment on someone elses?

Need to write something? write a review.

Comments on reviews... no.

27. Ericness

Ericness Initiate (120) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts

Oh my goodness no. There's enough arguing over minutiae in the forums.

Squire, dcotom and Mothergoose03 like this.