Do you trade?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by TheEarl, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheEarl

TheEarl Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2012 Washington

I'm curious how many of the people I see in the Northwest forum and at local beer events are active in the Beer Advocate or Rate Beer trading scene.

What do you find people are in search of?

In my limited experience (3 trades) people are looking for Elysian pumpkins, Fremont barrel stuff, and Firestone barrel stuff are pretty popular.

2. csano

csano Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2010 Washington

No we don't trade. We don't even go to any of the beer releases around here. Or in Portland. Screw that craziness.

3. ramnuts

ramnuts Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2009 Oregon

No, I do not trade. I do, however, send out beer to 2 or 3 "out of the area" people that I like. If they send me something back, cool. If not, that is ok, also. I have access to all of the great beer I need right here in PDX.

4. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Aspirant (261) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Nobody in Washington trades. We have nothing that anyone wants due to a lack of rare beers.

5. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (981) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I traded one time. Got a bunch of Three Floyds and New Glarus stuff. I actually got the better end of the agreed deal.

However, the shipping costs are pretty crazy, so I don't have an interest in developing another expensive hobby. I've already got plenty with buying and drinking beer, making beer, playing videogames and watching giant robot cartoons from Japan.

6. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2009 Washington

Yes I do trade. For walez only, bro.

;)

7. OregonHopmonster

OregonHopmonster Aspirant (234) Jan 15, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

The syndicate trades

8. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2011 Washington

Midnight Sun and Cascade sours are pretty popular as well

9. punkhim

punkhim Initiate (192) Dec 22, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Feel free to message me directly with any local trade questions. A lot of stuff from around here trades pretty well, and it's a great way to build up friendships with people in other distribution areas.

10. Shmeal

Shmeal Devotee (409) Nov 9, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I would like to call it the hive mind....

11. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 Washington

I trade quite often. Haven't updated my trades but am around 60-70 in around 2.5 years. I've got regular traders which pretty much cover me on everything. Depending on who or where they are, they want HotD, Cascade, Logsdon, Fremont, Block 15, FW, RR, Bruery, Upright, or random stuff I find at BW.

Cheers,
    Ryan

PS - Agree with Colin...only trade for WhAlEz bro...

12. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Yep, I'm an addict.

13. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

Which bottle did you bring to the Chucks bottle share? Oh, and yes I do trade.

14. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,408) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Used to dabble, but not for a while. From memory, most of my trades have involved (on my end) Russian River and Hair of the Dog stuff, also B-Bomb and Bottleworks XII. I also sent quite a bit of Parabola back to California. :)

15. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Aspirant (237) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Have in the past but just too expensive. Mainly looked for glassware and maybe some old ales. Nothing else I really want except tons of fresh Heady Topper.

16. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,593) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I don't trade much, 1-2 a year generally, and then it's usually for shelf beers. I'm pretty much the only BA in Bellingham that's active in the forums, but I know of several guys in town who have accounts and pretty much just trade.

17. stx00lax

stx00lax Aspirant (225) Dec 27, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Ive been trading fairly regularly the past 2.5-3 years. Almost 100% with regular trading partners now. I try to stay away from the craziness of the Iso:ft forums as much as possible. People seem to be most interested in HOTD, midnight sun, cascade, fremont and other limited NW releases.

18. leedorham

leedorham Defender (698) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Nope. I've participated in a couple BIF's but that's it.

I thought perhaps as time went on I might become more inclined to trade but it seems like it's been the opposite of that. More great beer is available to me than ever before which means I have less desire to seek out gems from other geographies.

Occasionally I get to travel for work or might travel to visit relatives. Whenever I do that I'm sure to drink only what's not available back home and sometimes I'll ship a box back home or tuck a few walez in my socks.

CaptainQ likes this.
  19. draheim

Beer Trader

This sums it up pretty well for me too. The more trades I completed, the more I realized the beer I was getting was comparable to (or worse than) what I can get here with little effort. There's the whole "hooking a brutha up" aspect that I found strangely rewarding (considering most of my trading partners have been total strangers, and never found through the ISO:FT forums), but the expense of shipping started to seriously outweigh that.

Whenever I travel, I definitely seek out beers I can't get here. Hoping to score a little KBS on an upcoming trip to the Midwest.

distantmantra likes this.
  20. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Same here. I've got in-laws in Omaha and Washington, DC so I always drink and stock up on stuff available there. Great thing about Omaha is that it's right on the border of Iowa, which gets stuff Nebraska does not.

21. TheEarl

I brought the Founder's Imperial Stouts to Chuck's bottle share. They were from a trade. If I remember correctly, 1 Parabola, 1 Stone RIS, 1 Ninkasi ImperiAle in exchange for 4 BCBS and 4 FIS. It seemed pretty fair.

22. draheim

Beer Trader

I just thought of a new city slogan:
    OMAHA. We're right on the border of Iowa.
    Hey, it's better than "Metronatural"... ;)

beertunes likes this.
  23. TheEarl

I think you guys sum up my general experience trading quite well. It is fun, on occasion, if there is some limited thing you're looking for (KBS or whatever) but it is costly and it is certainly obnoxious how little respect the WA beers command. Though, obviously, I'm glad its not hard to get the amazing local stuff we have.

24. draheim

Beer Trader

That does sound pretty fair. For you. :)

25. distantmantra

Beer Trader

I traded 3 bottles of Alvinne Undressed (Flanders Oude Bruin that 99 Bottles randomly ordered) for 2 Zombie Dusts, 2 Alpha Kings, 2 Gumballheads, a bomber of Stack and Stabb a New Glarus Moon Man. I did throw in cans of DC Brau's The Corruption and Fremont's Abominable, but I still feel like the deal was lopsided, regardless of the costs of the beers.

TheEarl likes this.
  26. TheEarl

It is tough to account for both price and relative rarity. It seems like, given that challenge, most people just fall back to trades evaluated on price. The extras can be useful to fill rarity gaps.

27. TheEarl

Right.

draheim likes this.
  28. Adamostella

Adamostella Zealot (593) Apr 3, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

When is the next one of these going to happen. Loved it last week. Got a Kuhnhenn BA4D lined up for the next one!

29. duketheredeemer

duketheredeemer Initiate (41) Jan 21, 2007 Washington

Oh god, I forgot about that.

As for trading, I do a little. Mostly with the same handful of people, and maybe 5 boxes a year at most. I have neither the time nor the money to do more, though I really enjoy it. Coming home to a box is like Christmas morning, and to enhance the effect I usually try not to know what a regular partner is sending me.

30. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington

31. Shmeal

Shmeal Devotee (409) Nov 9, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Your avatar is very fitting.

"Heeeellllloooooo gayboys!"

LoPo87, wesbray and barleywinefiend like this.
  32. mtrog313

mtrog313 Disciple (333) Feb 28, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Anybody interested in a regular trade partner from Michigan?

33. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2012 Washington

You have my attention... PM me ;)

34. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (513) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

No. Between living in Seattle and traveling regularly to Minneapolis (where I can get Surly, Founders, and Bell's) --- with a side trip now and then to Hudson, WI for New Glarus, I see no benefit in trading.

NWer likes this.
  35. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2012 Washington

Sounds like you have everything covered. Those breweries are basically the only ones i can think of that i would want to trade for.

Besides that, I'm very content with the selection available to me right down the street...

36. TheEarl

Possibly.

37. BDavidson14

BDavidson14 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2008 Washington

I trade and work for a Seattle brewery, so i've got the connect with pre-releases for said brewery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.