Do you usually buy cases or 6packs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bkov33, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

I buy mixed cases. 4 miscellaneous 6 packs and an occasional couple of bombers. Though when in PA I buy a case of any beer I can't find in MD.

2. dmwcpa

dmwcpa Initiate (124) Apr 24, 2008 North Carolina

When I see fresh IPAs that I like I will buy a case and keep it refrigerated.

3. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Initiate (0) May 1, 2011 Maine

6-packs. The only beer I've ever bought a case of is FBS. Founders began distributing here in 2012 and I purchased a case when it first hit that year and then another case last year. I'm drinking less and buying less these days so I'm not sure how much of it I'll purchase this fall.

4. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

Almost always single bottles. I rarely want to drink six of any beer in a short time.

utopiajane likes this.
  5. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

The only quantity of beer I buy is the Brewer's Dozen 15 packs of All Day IPA.

6. smbslt

smbslt Savant (905) Dec 26, 2010 Illinois
    Society

Bombers and singles for myself (I drink to forget my commitment issues) unless it a beer I want and it is only sold in six or four packs. Will only go up to six packs or variety packs for parties.

7. AdmiralOzone

AdmiralOzone Poo-Bah (2,146) Jun 26, 2014 Minnesota
    Society Trader

One day my wife and I were at the register at Total Wine, her case of PBR rang up somewhere around $15, should'a seen her eyebrow go up when the case of Dragon's Milk I was getting rang up at $86. Mostly buy singles and 4/6 packs now with a bomber here and there.

8. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Aspirant (210) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

I always purchase 6 packs with the occasional loosey. Living in Michigan, I rarely drink anything but Michigan beers. I've had just about everything there is to have from the bigger breweries in Michigan so I know what I'm getting. I don't get cases because I don't drink them fast enough. That and my cellar is ever growing with beer and bourbon and it's testing the patience of my wife. If I come struttin' in the house with the case...

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  9. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I wish they sold cases of the good stuff.
    I buy what ever it is they have I want that is the best value. rarely that they have anything over 6 packs. I buy Blue moon in 12 packs bottles. they do not have cases of it.

wife loves some Belgian made fruit beers I try to buy in 4 packs whenever I can find them.

Stop buying Duchesses 4 packs when it crossed the 12 bucks limit line.

10. kjlcm

kjlcm Aspirant (204) Jul 16, 2013 New Hampshire

Used to buy only singles but now buy more sixes so I really get to try the beer. Of course everyone in the NH/MA area buys cases when we head to Vermont for Heady if we are lucky!

11. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (358) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I never buy cases. This is Boston, not PA.

Usually when I'm picking up a sixer I've already got at least two more sixers worth of beer in the fridge (along with a few bombers), which is about as much space as my better half will allow me for brew. So it's sixers, mostly, plus the occasional twelve-pack of Notch Session Pils or Left of the Dial or, more recently, Jack's Abby Framingham Lager, the Notches and JA being eminently sessionable.

12. Retroman40

Retroman40 Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2013 Florida

It seriously depends...Singles for things I've never tried but only if I can tell by dating that the stuff isn't way too old;
    Bombers from time to time particularly if it's something I like to have occasionally;
    4 packs/6 packs for most everything "standard";
    12 packs of Sierra Nevada stuff since the Sam's Club and Walmart by me frequently have them at good prices.
    Cases for Sam Adams variety packs.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  13. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (2,554) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana
    Society

I've bought 12-packs and cases for a handful of brews (Celebration, Torpedo, TJ Vintage Ale), but my usual is single bombers or 4-6 packs. I'll buy 12 oz. singles most times only if I've never had a brew before, and want to try it, particularly where the full pack is pricey (Devil Dancer).

14. blastoderm55

blastoderm55 Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Texas

Usually single or packs, rarely cases. Last case was either of Sucks or Fresh Squeezed.

15. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,624) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

My days of buying cases are long gone. After having kids, work, etc....I'm a 6pk or individual (preferrably a bomber) kinda guy. Plus I have a slight case of tickeritis that flares up occassionally...:sunglasses:

16. Hophazzard

Hophazzard Aspirant (292) Aug 16, 2014 California

4 packs, then singles and 22's

17. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Meyvn (1,038) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

99.9% of the time it's a six/four/bomber.. though I wouldn't mind grabbing a case of backwoods bastard or FBS this year

18. AC-Mivsek

AC-Mivsek Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Ohio

I usually end up mostly buying 6-packs, because that is the only option presented to me. I prefer to buy a 12 pack of something if I know I like it, since it's more cost effective. Unfortunately, the craft beer 12 pack market is very slim. Most of the time a 12 is a variety pack, which are nice.

19. SlightlyGrey

SlightlyGrey Zealot (537) Apr 4, 2011 Minnesota

Usually 6 packs, except when Bell's Expedition Stout comes out. Then it's a case that goes under the bar for a couple of years.

20. Malt-i-Grain

Malt-i-Grain Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Pennsylvania

I have so many great bottle shops in my area that I always build my own or buy individual bottles. I only buy cases if there's a party or it's something important like Beer Camp.

21. gQQgsJr

gQQgsJr Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

Im in western PA and work in a beer distributor... That means cases and kegs for me. However if i lived in a different area i still would probably buy my fair share of cases. But for obvious reasons it would be at a lesser rate.

22. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

don't drink enough to buy cases. a 4pk of dirtwolf will do me for the week.

i also drink bombers, despite the awful $/oz. costs the same to buy 12oz bourbon barrel aged stouts (that are good), so what can i do?

23. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Poo-Bah (1,975) Dec 13, 2008 Illinois
    Society

6 packs, wish more of my favorite beers where in cases!
    Buy beer for your $ in case form near me
    is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale @ CostCo ($24/case)!

24. Casey3236

Casey3236 Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

I only buy cases for big parties (25 people or more). For myself mostly 4-packs and bombers. The only beers i buy regularly that come in 6-packs are flower power and Jai Alai.

25. timmy2b

timmy2b Champion (880) Jan 24, 2007 New York
    Trader

There is no real discount for me to buy a case, so its usually a six pack or two at most. Been trying not to have that many beers in the fridge right now.

26. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (12,612) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Mixed six packs and single bottles for me. I'll buy a 12 pack if its a variety pack.

27. Dope

Dope Poo-Bah (2,868) Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Neither. I don't think I've bought more than two of a single beer in at least a year or two.

Dope

28. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,628) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Sixes usually, been buying HDR by the case though because I'm driving almost a 4 hr round trip. Other than that bombers and sixes, an odd growler.

29. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

I usually buy a case of SNPA or Torpedo and 4/6 packs or bombers/750s of new stuff.

30. DrJay

DrJay Initiate (0) May 29, 2004 Texas

Mostly singles with a few 6-packs thrown in here and there. If I'm anticipating company, or if the weather's nice and I expect to have a few while enjoying the outdoors, then I'll grab a 12-pack. Almost never a full case.

31. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (4,012) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

Saga is by the truck loads. Everything else is by the twelve or six pack.

32. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,776) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I used to buy cases, nowadays I spent my money at the grocery store on 6 packs and singles priced better than bottle shops.

33. GeoChase90

GeoChase90 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 California

Singles and bombers for the most part. I fill up my stone 1 liter growler occasionally often as well.

34. smanson56

smanson56 Crusader (795) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

well on yesterday's beer run I came back with a case of Lunch from the Maine Beer Co. and then a case of Stoneface IPA from the brewery in Newington, NH and also got my growler filled there.

35. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Sixers & singles...sounds like a Junkyard album:wink:

302BeerGuy likes this.
  36. Coorsy

Coorsy Defender (648) Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Im mostly buying singles. But given the opportunity with a great beer i wouldnt hesitate buying a case.

-xICooRsYIx

37. DrunkAl

DrunkAl Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Illinois

The only thing I buy by the case is zombie dust.

mmmbeerNY likes this.
  38. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Aspirant (208) Jan 26, 2013 Missouri

It's always 6/4 packs for me and bombers. I don't drink the same beer repeatedly and I drink mostly IPAs so I like to keep them fresh.

39. Providence

Providence Crusader (704) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Sixers. While I have certainly bought a case worth of beers before, only once have I ever bought an entire case of one beer.

302BeerGuy likes this.
  40. WillieThreebiers

WillieThreebiers Poo-Bah (6,399) Apr 26, 2012 Connecticut
    Society

Single 12s, bombers, growlers....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.