Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Does Alpine Brewing distribute to NorCal?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by flayedandskinned, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Jan 1, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I don't think I've ever seen it here. I'm dying to try one of their brews!

2. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

hell, it's rare to see it in Southern California past Carlsbad.

thome50 likes this.
  3. Carbon14

Carbon14 Sep 6, 2009 Maryland

Alpine is only for Alpiners.

domtronzero and ehammond1 like this.
  4. sandiego67

sandiego67 Feb 25, 2008 California

It is actually the opposite. Most of their bottled beer bypasses San Diego and goes north to Los Angeles.

https://alpinebeerco.wordpress.com/where-to-buy/

5. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

It's rare to see anything but Mandarin Nectar in the liquor store 100' from the brewery.

thome50 likes this.
  6. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Jul 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

In los angeles i usually can get captain stout or mandarin nectar it is very rare to see anything else.
    Hence the reason I am taking off work tomorrow to go down to the brewery should be there for liquid lunch.
    Woohoo can't wait. Damn do I love the DUET

dcgunman likes this.
  7. KevSal

KevSal Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

yes i know of one place in sf, unfortunantely ive seen everything but their ipas! i know of another spot near my house that used to a few years ago but has since stopped getting any of their stuff.

8. sandiego67

All of the beer shops in North County San Diego wonder what they did to get snubbed by Alpine. We used to get it all the time but it is very rare now.

9. evilc

Nothing, probably. They will keep themselves stocked before stores.

10. abecall98

abecall98 Aug 11, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

Somehow a case of Alpine beers ends up in my house every few months.

pinkgrenade likes this.
  11. sandiego67

Seeing how limited their production is, it is odd that Alpine couldn't get the money together to expand last year considering the amount of money being put into so many start-ups. Even if the returns were not as good, I would think that an investment in Alpine would be more attractive than a crap shoot with a new company.

12. evilc

Could be lack of a solid business plan? Great beer doesn't attract investors, the business plan does.

13. sandiego67

You're right. I have the prospectus. If I remember correctly, they were looking for investors in a new building. I don't think they were offering equity in the separate brewing business.

Even so, having a strong tenant in a new building might still be a better than some of the new start-ups coming out monthly.

14. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Dec 10, 2011 California

Alpine owns the land where the new brewery will go. But finding the right (silent) investors is what I believe Pat is looking for. They want to keep it a family business and I think he has some pretty tough terms so the search continues. At least that's what I remember from a year ago.

15. dcgunman

dcgunman Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Not much is found from Sun Diego and north. So I make the two hour drive to the brewery/pub for a case or two every 3-4 months. And for the grub too!! Makes for a nice road trip to Alpine.

16. sandiego67

It is probably snowing there today.

17. dcgunman

dcgunman Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Bring chains!!

18. sandiego67

The News was saying snow above 3500. I guess Alpine is just under that. Cajon Pass is higher.

19. hophead247

hophead247 Jan 27, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

A couple store owners make the drive down to pick bottles up to sell in their store, but you'll definitely pay a premium for them.

Perry's in Livermore had some a couple months back and sold them at $10 a piece. I also hear Pangaea in Sac occasionally has some, but you'll pay closer to $20 a bottle.

20. luisc123

luisc123 Oct 20, 2011 California

Alpine doesn't even get Alpine haha. Two weeks ago, they didn't have any bottles of Duet. Last week, I heard they were out of Nelson bottles. That's fine with me. Ensures the freshness of their beer

21. besaunders

besaunders Nov 8, 2007 California

I see plenty of Alpine Ale and Willy.

On another note, are other people as annoyed as I am by auto-play sound on their web site?

pinkgrenade likes this.
  22. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

This is the correct answer. They're never officially up here, but sometimes stores with a poor grasp of California beer laws buy and resell their stock. Perry's is the most well known and likely to have their stuff in stock.

23. LegalBrew87

LegalBrew87 Mar 6, 2012 California

I think they were/are overvaluing the business by quite a bit. The potential ROI was not that attractive.

24. BdubleEdubleRUN

BdubleEdubleRUN Jul 28, 2009 California

2 years ago now but I have a picture from a pub visit when some snow was falling. Didn't last long.

25. besaunders

You are correct - Google led me to their old web pages, which still exist but not via direct link:

http://www.alpinebeerco.com/index2.html

26. Levitation

Levitation Aug 7, 2009 California

what a gentle euphemism

27. MacNCheese

They never update their webpage, their Staff page is out of date by at least 6 months.

28. besaunders

I know of one particular store that has Alpine's blessing to do this, but I think the proprietor is a special case and Pat probably likes him.

29. Earlycsquid

Beer Trader

That's just stupid to be a business and not want to have more of your product distributed

30. MacNCheese

What? No, Alpine is a TINY small brewery that makes maybe ~3,000BBL/yr. They can't keep their existing accounts supplied with beer, there's simply zero surplus to be distributed. Their motto has always been "Serve locals first."

31. Xpotential

Xpotential Dec 27, 2007 California

BdubleEdubleRUN and KingG like this.
  32. Earlycsquid

Beer Trader

I'm not talking about them pushing to expand/distribute. I'm talking about this idea that they should or even could be pissed if someone wants to come in and buy the sell thru bottles they're pushing out of their brew pub. Yeah, I get the "serve locals first" mantra, but even then, Downtown S.D. is a solid distance away from it. So can they even be considered local?

Either way, someone wants to come and buy my product and spread the word of how good my beer is, potentially drawing more to come visit my tiny shack of a brewery, I wouldn't be pissy.

33. Xpotential

Are you implying it's "pissy" to want to have control over how your product is distributed and sold? What about the legalities of re-sale? How about the conditions (and length of time) under which it's stored before being sold?

Is it "pissy" to be upset when you hear of your beer being stored warm, on a shelf, for who knows how many months, because someone is trying to get $20.00 a bottle for it? And when someone buys that old, oxidized IPA, and is disappointed that it isn't what they expected, whom do you think they complain to? Pat gets those emails, and dammit, I'd be "pissy" too, because he's tried to do everything he can to make sure that doesn't happen. His few existing bottle accounts have all committed to keeping his beer refrigerated, and none of them (well, OK, maybe one, we all know which one) are price-gouging.

The bottles for sale at the brewery and pub are for RETAIL CUSTOMERS to take home, drink, and enjoy. Trades happen, and that's understood. Store owners, buying up bottles (which would otherwise be available for customers who took the time to travel out to Alpine) and re-selling them, just to make a buck, is WRONG, and if you think it's "pissy" for him to refuse to do business with them, then you, sir, don't get the Big Picture.

34. evilc

Doing this with knowledge is illegal and violates the 3 tier system. Pat could probably lose his license if he knowingly sold to retailers.

35. Earlycsquid

Beer Trader

Let's not get into the three tier system, since we all seem to toss that out the window with trades and the feeling is that it's time to put that out to pasture anyway. Since, you know, apparently it's not against the law in the case where he's buddies with some. Opening that can of worms is best walked away from.

36. Xpotential

Huh?

37. besaunders

I'm pretty sure I was full of it when I made that statement, but whatever works for you.

38. Earlycsquid

Beer Trader

We should respect their wishes and the beer should never leave local.

Hope they dropped that FedEx fight of not shipping that keg. ;)

39. Earlycsquid

Beer Trader

lurking a while. Bruery Provisions closing finally pushed me to post. You know what they say about breaking the seal. o_O

domtronzero likes this.
  40. BdubleEdubleRUN

BdubleEdubleRUN Jul 28, 2009 California

Part of what makes you pee so much while boozing is that alcohol inhibits arginine vasopressin, also known as antidiuretic hormone or ADH. ADH is made in the part of the brain called the hypothalamus, and then stored and released from the pituitary gland at the base of the brain. Its job is to conserve water in the body by reducing its loss in urine. It binds to receptors on the kidneys and promotes water reabsorption, a decrease in the volume of urine sent to the bladder, and excretion of more concentrated urine.
    Alcohol throws a wrench into the works, though, and blocks certain nerve channels that help get ADH secreting out into your system. Without ADH carrying on about conserving water, the kidneys don’t reabsorb water as easily and excess water winds up getting dumped into urine to leave the body. With alcohol keeping ADH from doing its job, you produce a lot more water-diluted urine, which fills the bladder quickly and makes you have to pee more often.
    So, there’s really no seal to break, no dam to crack open. If anything, the damage was done when you took your first drink and started suppressing your ADH, not when you took your first pee.
    But how come you can hold your pee just fine until that first bathroom break, and then it seems you have to go constantly?
    First, it takes a little bit of time for alcohol to suppress ADH and for the kidneys to ramp up the water works. When you crack open your first beer, you may have some urine in your bladder already, but also some ADH in your system to keep things from getting out of hand. As you continue to drink, though, your ADH levels drop and your urine production increases. By the time your bladder has filled and you're ready to go to the john, you’ve probably had a few more drinks. Your ADH is more suppressed and your kidneys are working at full tilt, so you’re going to have to go more often.
    Additionally, alcoholic beverages can be a bladder irritant for many people and the carbonation of drinks like beer and champagne can cause gas and pressure that contribute to that irritation. As your bladder fills up again after the initial pee, all that irritation can create a very strong urge to pee some more and make your bladder feel fuller than it really is, sending you running to the bathroom over and over again throughout the night.

Read the full text here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/31408/science-breaking-seal#ixzz2Hi6ad9ZR
    --brought to you by mental_floss!

rrryanc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe