Does anybody really LOVE sours?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CraigP83, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

Tums Smoothies on hand all the time!

Hodgson and stealth like this.
  2. Hodgson

Hodgson Initiate (136) Nov 17, 2014 Canada (ON)

Don't like them. I always think of Maytag's comment, that he could never accustom to them because for a long time he tried to avoid brewing beer that would taste like that (he was referring to early days when he struggled to overcome QC issues that had bedevilled the previous owner). But it's something too of habit I guess, if you don't grow up with it, relatively few will acquire the taste I think.

And after all, the history of lager's expansion across Europe suggests that people in general abandoned the older, tart or lactic palates when they had the choice. A similar thing happened within Britain with the passing of the era of long stored "stale" stout and ale. George Gale Prize Old Ale survived as a rare specialty, the majority taste had inclined away from it, same for GK Old (Strong) Suffolk and that type.

It's all a matter of taste though and at least today the option is available. I like to mix a bit of sour beer into a fresh one of the same style, if you put in 10% or so it adjusts the palate in quite a remarkable way. So I do that once in a while.

I looked in at recent reviews of the GK beer mentioned and some mention a notable sweetness so I'm not sure if it's made the same as it used to be but I recall it having a decided winy edge, not like the Gale but in that direction.

#82 Hodgson, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Himself and paulys55 like this.
  3. Chaosfiend

Chaosfiend Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 Florida

I truly love them! Can't drink as much of them as I'd like since I get acid stomach pretty easily. Tums and Prilozec before, during and after especially after the Cascade brews. Has anyone tried the blood orange gose from Anderson Valley? So freaking delicious.

4. MikeReserva

MikeReserva Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Netherlands

As an international trader I can confirm there are many Americans who really, really love sours.
    I like them myself a lot as well, the fruited lambics are my favourites. But I also tried some american sours from Jester King, Russian River and others, and I really loved them as well. I can drink multiple in a setting, I love going to Cantillon and share 3-4 bottles on site.

Canada_Dan, bushycook and adkieffer like this.
  5. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

Some posts above mention saisons/farmhouse ales and funkiness.

To me, funkiness from yeast (like in a Belgian Ale or saison) is not the same thing as sour. I love saisons and Belgians because of that yeasty (almost aged cheese-like or barnyard) quality. A sour profile is much different (like Granny Smith apples or vinegar).

Not to say that saisons can't have a sour or tart taste, but saisons/farmhouse ales aren't necessarily sour.

MikeReserva likes this.
  6. adkieffer

adkieffer Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Washington

Say!
    I do like sour beers! I do! I like them @CraigP83 !
    And I would drink them in a boat. And I would drink them with a goat...and I will drink them in the rain. And in the dark. And on a train. And in a car. And in a tree. They are so good, sooo good you see!!!

Too many kids books in the brain lately. i live in Europe now so I drink them a lot and don't have to pay crazy money to do so. When a Cantillon Gueuze 750 is only €7 you drink it!

Canada_Dan and bushycook like this.
  7. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

I've only had a few and in general really enjoy them. I can drink a bomber or 750mL amount, but even that's a stretch for some. Combine that with the price and I don't see my self sitting down a session of sours anytime soon.

8. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

4th from the right...Zomer?

9. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

No...no i do not but i've taken myself on safely disposing all sours for the betterment of beerkind. Send them to me and they will be taken care of :grinning:

cavedave likes this.
  10. Highbury09

Highbury09 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2014 North Carolina

As you can see from my avatar I love sour beers. They are a big reason that all my vacation dollars are spent on yearly trips to Belgium.

JBogan, bushycook and adkieffer like this.
  11. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,104) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

If by sours you mean, Lambics, Gueuze, Gose, Berliner Weisse, Flanders, Wild Ales, and Bretted beers, etc., the answer is I love them, crave them, and would drink them every day if I had the means

12. cck5

cck5 Initiate (0) May 11, 2014 New York

Love sour. Becoming my fav style.

Nightmare on Brett <3

adkieffer likes this.
  13. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,608) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

You are correct

14. Beer_Guano

Beer_Guano Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2015 California

Agreed, they are def a good way to end or even begin a session, but you cant really drink too many back to back. Or at least I can't and I absolutely Love a good Sour!

15. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,134) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I don't love them, per se, but I definitely enjoy them. Here's what I learned though: I absolutely love having sours around when I'm drinking big stouts. At FoBAB one of my greatest delights was following up some BA stout palate fatigue with a nice refreshing sour.

I don't ever really crave sours, but I like them a lot during the summer (when I'm more thirsty in general).

16. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

I like them more than my wallet does.

17. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'll look around, I might be inclined to give it a try, I've been resisting. Those NG fruit beers really hit me right, that might be my limit don't know.

18. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,126) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I'm a fan of most sour styles, and I just haven't gotten around to trying any I'm not a fan of. They're darned tasty, especially goses and Berliners.

Right up until they start getting dry-hopped, anyway. I've learned to be wary of saisons I haven't had before.

19. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

Love Them. However very expensive. Gose is a nice fridge stocking alternative. Especially some AV Blood Orange Gose.

Chaosfiend likes this.
  20. Doctor_Bogenbroom

Doctor_Bogenbroom Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2014 Pennsylvania

Sours are good, but I don't get a chance to drink them that often.

21. juke_cleveland

juke_cleveland Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2014 Indiana

Love sours. I could drink them a lot of days, but it's not like they have many 6ers of sours laying around. I don't think they are that expensive if you buy right. Obviously splurge and get some tilquin or something, but Rodenbach Grand Cru has a firm place in my heart for only $10.99.

22. IPAFan521

IPAFan521 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Illinois

It's an acquired taste for sure and I would take a sour over almost anything!

23. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

Nah.. those Russian River's are real shelf-turds....

24. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Deactivated

Need any new friends?

ChrisMyhre and aasher like this.
  25. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

BA stouts just seem lazy. Oh, you made a boilermaker. How novel.

UrbanCaveman likes this.
  26. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (208) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

I hear they make some pretty good one's round these parts :grinning:, but I'm not a fan. I'm not opposed to trying them, but not something I actively seek out. I'll leave them for the die-hards and not buy them just for curiosity's sake.

27. kmbeer

kmbeer Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2011 New York

I tried a Westbrook Gose when I first got into craft and wasn't really impressed. But when I tried an Almanac Dogpatch Sour and a Jolly Pumpkin La Roja, I understood what all the hype was about. Now I try a new sour every week or two and get really excited about it. Recently I have really enjoyed Ommegang Upside Brown (not overly acidic, just a milder funky brew that was really easy to drink) and this: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/6288/121108/ (blew me away).

28. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (835) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

I love the specific beers that I love, and some of them happen to be sour.

29. pnelting

pnelting Aspirant (280) Nov 17, 2014 Texas

I tried to like 'em. I just can't tolerate the heartburn and sour gut I get after drinking them.

30. Tanktizzo

Tanktizzo Initiate (0) May 19, 2014 Illinois

Had my first and was hooked! Only problem is my first was probably one of the best sours ever! Reason I know this is my buddy was there to drink it with me and has had tons. He said this is one of the best he has had! The search for more began after that...

31. MammothTarantula

MammothTarantula Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado

NOTHING beats sitting out on the porch on a summer night with sipping on something sour. NOTHING!

I probably enjoy them so much because I associate them with warmer weather, being outside, and good times with good friends and family.

32. Highbury09

Highbury09 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2014 North Carolina

Is this true for the sour lovers among us? Are sours an acquired taste? I loved them from my first sip, but perhaps I am unusual?

IPAFan521 and UrbanCaveman like this.
  33. IPAFan521

From what I have seen, it takes time. I only know 1 or 2 people where it was a "love at first sip" experience.

Highbury09 likes this.
  34. Akerstache

Akerstache Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2015 Germany

I do seem to like quite a few of those styles. Wouldn't say I crave them every day. But I'd say the 75cl bottle of Boon, 2 bottles of Liefman's Goudenband and 5 bottles of Gueuze (in addition to a soon to come beer haul in Belgium) are somewhat self-explanatory.

35. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

I LOVE sours. love Bretts. Petit Mutant is one of my all time favorite beers.

36. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,126) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Same experience for me, though something like a Flanders Red did take me a little aback when I first got the balsamic vinegar character (not in a bad way, just in a "wow, beer can do that?" way). And I have a palate that still hates hops after ten years of craft beer.

Highbury09 likes this.
  37. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,811) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I think they're great. I don't know if they're my favorites, but I do really enjoy them and could (in theory) drink them every day.
    I do know some people that full-on LOVE them and will go to the ends of the Earth for them. Good for them, although it's unfortunate how expensive that passion can be.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  38. IPAFan521

I bet your stoked for them to be releasing this again then huh. I had it the first time around and fell in love with it as well!

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  39. EveningCordial

EveningCordial Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2014 New Jersey

Love stouts IPAs and sours equally.

40. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

I sure am. A good buddy of mine @FFreak got selected, so I'm happy I'll be able to try it for a second year in the can. It's a delicious and complex brett with tons of fruit. Sours like this have such deep flavor, levels of flavor, I just love them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.