Does anyone else still refuse to buy Goose Island or did BCBS change that?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by alucardswordlol, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,326) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

I haven't read any of the responses yet (but I have a good idea of what they are)

I do not buy any AB/InBev Products because I think it is bad for the craft beer industry.

I have had BCBS (when it was still GI) and it is fantastic. For the recent release, I had the opportunity to purchase a box full of all the varients. I passed.

You can bash me for it, but my purchasing decisions (for beer and most other items) go beyond "This is good"

GeezLynn and Dracarys like this.
  2. ThatFatBeerGuy

ThatFatBeerGuy Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2013 California

Knowing all of the stupid bullshit hoops I'd have to jump through to get BCBS, I 100% genuinely feel like my life is better off without it.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  3. Spikester

Spikester Poo-Bah (2,622) Jul 14, 2007 Oregon
    Society

The closest I have come to BCBS or any of that was a 2009 GI Christmas Stout (?) I bought cellared for four years and drank in 2013. It was very tasty! Also it was marked way down at a low end beer and tobacco store so that made it even better!

aclara likes this.
  4. aclara

aclara Initiate (104) Mar 16, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Was that a bomber?, still so dissapointed that there was no 2010

5. brianmandell

brianmandell Zealot (563) Apr 3, 2011 California

A business that operates with a primary mission other than profit is called a not-for-profit company. Just like for-profit businesses, a not-for-profit business still has to be funded. Whether that is from sales (operations), charitable donations, etc the money to make the product or provide the service has to come from somewhere. You are trying to make your point suggesting that a person with a ton of money can come in and operate a brewery solely for the love of doing so. That is certainly true. But that is a luxury that few with the wealth would be willing to commit to. And it seems vain to continue to dump money into a project that is running at a deficit solely for the love of doing so, doesn't it? We all love beer and the nice community that surrounds it but let's be honest, it is not a charitable cause.

6. Flashy

Flashy Zealot (553) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

Most get into a business because it interests them, but the tax man will hang up a sign that reads "closed for back taxes"- if you don't make enough money to survive- no matter how much you love doing it.

7. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  8. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,473) Dec 2, 2009 New York

brewing for the love of it isn't charity either. the point remains that the business often does not exist "to be a business" or "to make a profit." that may be part of the motivation, or it may be a necessity for accomplishing whatever motivated you, or of course it might be the prime (or only) motivation.

what you have to understand is that the opposing viewpoint to mine is saying in a nutshell:

1) fine, john starts a brewery to brew beer.

2) next thing you know, there's overhead, taxes, [other costs]

3) now john's motivation for brewing is to make money to pay the costs in (2)

really? so in order to own a business or get a job, you need to go in with whatever motivation and come out simply doing what you do to make enough money to keep doing what you do (to make money to keep...)? please.

sure, most of us would not keep going to work if we were not getting paid. the fact still remains that we often have choices as to what we do for work, and that choice is not always made by profit maximizing. moreover, were we to have enough money to not care whether or not we were paid for what we do in a day, we'd probably 1) do something still, and 2) maybe we'd shoot high and do something like open a business where we need to make enough money to keep it a float. (think: someone worked 10~20 years and made very smart investments, didn't get rich, but is living on more income without even working than they were getting when they started working, if that makes sense. can also be really old fashioned and think "savings")

notice, we aren't starting the business because we're strapped for money. nor are we billionaires starting a business on a whim. we need the business to succeed to keep doing it, but that doesn't mean we opened the business to make money (we had money! and we could have kept getting it with a lot less risk too).

remember, the point of money is to use it. it is not the end.

9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,547) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Boycott an In Bev product, why? They increased production and distribution while reducing prices, without sacrificing quality . Boycott? He'll no , thank you In Bev.

You hate Bud I'm with you, tastes like shit, and over carbonated. Other than that I don't agree.

10. DirkDeadeye

DirkDeadeye Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2013 Florida

That's what I said. GI doesn't have to make honkers and, 612 any more. They're just cranking out those funky sours, farmhouses, and barrel aged brews now, and in larger quantities.. And as far as I know, they're just as good. Just more of it.

I mean, I get it..AB wants to dominate the beer world. They kind of have to, they have a lot of people to feed. But this just seems like a situation that sort of works for both sides. My only complaint is, that their IPA doesn't taste very English any more.

11. nc41

Society Trader

Honkers and 612 I assume doesnt sell well here,no one I know drinks either. They tried but it's mediocre, it's always on special.

12. cjgator3

cjgator3 Poo-Bah (3,409) Jan 19, 2006 Florida
    Society

It is Christmas Day, it's a beautiful 70 degrees in sunny Florida, I'm sitting by the lake, and just cracked open my first Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout. Out of the 1,544 beers I've rated on BeerAdvocate, this is the most PERFECT beer I've ever had. Holy shit! Cheers!

[​IMG]

13. DirkDeadeye

DirkDeadeye Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2013 Florida

oh man, I've been hunting that coffee. Probably gonna have to wait till next year

14. jegross2

jegross2 Meyvn (1,262) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

I think it's asinine to boycot a great product simply because its owned by Budweiser. A great product is a great product, and the pricing is really good relative to the quality. More for me, if you don't want. BCBS coffee is probably the best coffee beer of the year.

Warlocks-Passage likes this.
  15. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Initiate (0) May 15, 2011 Florida

I was always game for trying goose island brews, and never cared that they were owned by Inbev. I'm looking forward for the next great things from the brewery. Love both the barley wine and the stout.

Great stuff, and I'm happy that they where bought by Inbev.....It gave me the chance to try them!

16. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

I don't buy GI products because I disagree with some of ABI's business practices. It's not a political statement, it's a personal choice. I don't chastise people who buy Bud, I don't give a shit about the definition of "craft", and I'm not missing out on anything as there's a lot of great beer available to me. If a small local brewery started to do things I don't like, I wouldn't buy from them either. Don't care about such things? Awesome. Enjoy your 312 and leave me alone.

As for the "but 90% of the things you buy come from China" point, this is true. It's part of the reason why I'm not much of a consumer or materialist in general. However, that it's difficult to find jeans and electronics not made by Chinese 7-year olds doesn't mean that 1) I shouldn't try to apply my principles as often as I can or that 2) I should abandon them all together. That's like telling someone that murder shouldn't offend them because every time they buy gas they're funding terrorism.

SammyJaxxxx, gaweso and Eric15 like this.
  17. Eric15

Eric15 Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2013 Alabama

Great read right here. As advocates we should all be informed and I'll be honest, I would be seriously conflicted over buying BCBS if I could because of this issue. I'm as capitalist as they come, but InBev could give 2 shits about beer taste, quality, or the local scene and GI sold right out to them.

18. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas

If you have not watched this Video it's part of the article above , too damn funny

jucifer1818 likes this.
  19. Eric15

Eric15 Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2013 Alabama

Yes and very embarrassing to those of us who live here. "What's wrong wit tha beer we got? It drink good don't it?!".

jucifer1818 likes this.
  20. DrinkinViking

DrinkinViking Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2011 Indiana

I never stood away from GI, and I have to say BCBS, Coffee, and Barleywine rock balls this year!!! Looking forward to trying Backyard and Coconut this weekend. Looking at the Propietor's bottle, that's a local thing for the Chicago loyalists. Despite AB buyout, Goose still looks locally as much as possible. With the new pocketbook they get to distribute kickass beer to more places in greater volume; however, the BCBS line, vintages, sours, and Fulton & Wood series are still very much craft. Even if you don't want your money going to AB, think of the Chicago natives they are employing and whose voices are being heard in the direction of the brewery.

I don't mean to detract entirely, I understand this was not the purpose of this thread. I did read what seemed to be undue bashing, and I want to support what I believe to be a great Midwest craft brewer.

JDD419 likes this.
  21. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Champion (872) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Trader

If it's really good, I'll drink it no matter who makes it. I'd love for the big boys to make and distribute great beers on a regular basis.

22. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

Nope, I happily purchased a couple of 4 packs of regular BCBS this year.

cavedave likes this.
  23. Spikester

Spikester Poo-Bah (2,622) Jul 14, 2007 Oregon
    Society

Yes it was a bomber.

24. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,089) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, except that this is absolute bullshit:

The legal limit many states (including CO, KS and UT) have is 3.2% ABW which is about 4.0% ABV - not "4.2%". These laws date from the Repeal era, and it's "2 step" legalization of beer. The first step changed the Federal legal definition of an "intoxicating beverage" to anything OVER 3.2% ABW. States followed, and thus most of the states had legal "3.2" beer by April, '33 or after, and before full legalization with the passing of the 21st Amendment in Dec. '33. As each state's alcoholic beverage laws were written in the years immediately after Repeal, many kept the 3.2% ABW limit - in some cases for all beer, in other cases for purchasers under a certain age, or different types of retail licenses, etc.

The "macro breweries" light beers, of course, all came about 40 or more years AFTER those state regulations were passed, and, as the Paste article even notes, most of those beers are slightly above the 3.2/4.0 legal limits. So, the big brewers market "not more than 3.2% by weight" versions of their light flagship brands in those states, just as they do with their "regular" ex-flagships (i.e., Budweiser, Coors Banquet, Miller High Life/Genuine Draft). For instance, an older explanation from Coors:

[​IMG]

#184 jesskidden, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  25. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

I happen to agree, which is probably why I find it to be such a fantastic English IPA :wink:

jucifer1818 likes this.
  26. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Aspirant (224) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Are these guidelines made law, or are they just some "rules" no one really has to follow either way?

27. rorjets

rorjets Meyvn (1,184) Nov 20, 2012 Connecticut

I will try their products, but would rather support the little guys. I'm old enough to remember when you had a hard time finding anything other than Bud, Miller, etc. It's so great to have all the choices we have today. I don't ever want to go back to the 'dark ages' when I came of age!

cavedave and creepinjeeper like this.
  28. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

Idk, probably the latter.

29. racingkenny14

racingkenny14 Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 New Jersey

I didn't know that it was bought by AB/InBev I guess I should read the Beer news more often. I almost went to Goose Island in Chicago Area last year, but my plans did not give me enough time to stop. I'll think twice before I order a GI beer. Now it make sense why there was goose Island beer stands at the Phillies Citizens Bank Park last year.

#189 racingkenny14, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  30. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Aspirant (208) Feb 28, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

will never refuse to buy beer because of who makes it. if its good beer, its worth purchasing. As I think it was pointed out... if people start purchasing the higher "quality" beers from that particular companies craft lineup, they will just shift the demographic toward those. And lets be honest here... if bud stopped doing commercials for bud light and focused solely on 312... I guarantee that sales would rise exponentially. Americans are dumb and do what tv tells them to do.

not to mention, i love goose islands nut brown

31. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Aspirant (208) Feb 28, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

the goose island brewpubs are a separate entity from the a-b qualm. they operate on their own and spit out a ton of awesome beer and independent barrel aged goodness.

32. racingkenny14

racingkenny14 Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 New Jersey

thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. and look for a Goose Island beer

33. ZionNation

ZionNation Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 Arizona

in Arizona I had little exposure to Goose Island until a year or two ago. I had been familiar with it, tried one of their belgian style offerings and thought it tasted sour and passed on the rest, but then all of a sudden it started appearing everywhere in AZ, and I mean everywhere. not really know the story of this beer, until this thread really, I naturally resisted, firstly because of the so-so experience a few years ago, and secondly because it was clear to me that the sudden appearance of this beer everywhere meant some kind of corporate investment. and while I don't know that ABInbev is an "evil" corporation, it is certainly righteous to support local, non super-global conglomerate companies. independent implies creativity and unique customer focused products. local implies fresh and empowering to local businesses. monopolies are never a good thing for consumers. I did try the stout in bottles and on draft and also the barley wine, both are great quality beers.

34. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (321) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

NJ saw probably 20% of the BCBS we saw last year, at an increased price to stores effectively making our once $20 4 packs, $8-9 singles.

So no, fuck you ab-in bev.

35. nc41

Society Trader

1st time in NC 17-18 give or take, state taxes apply here. I'm from pa so I'd assume some state taxes makes it pricy. But they are expanding into markets 3 years ago they probably couldn't imagine. Perhaps the $ 30 fours are long gone .

I'm happy to share , if they distro like stone bi monthly it would be great. We'll see , but to hit bigger markets it will be thinner on some places . :slight_smile: I'm good with that.

36. pakman08

pakman08 Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2011 Illinois

Just want to clarify something, may also help explain your friends "180." While the flagships are brewed at Anheuser, BCBS, the belgian and sour ladies are stilled brewed, aged, and bottled at the Fulton Brewery in Chicago. InBev doesn't touch them other than to distribute. So the "bud county" references aren't quite correct.
    On the company issue, I've talked with a few employees of GI. The sale was motivated by a gargantuan deman for GI across the US. Setting up an entire new brewery, bottling, distribution, and licenses wasn't a viable option. That's not even getting into all the red tape for something like that to happen.
    You have every right to boycott any company you take issue with. Just try to have as many facts as possible before making the choice.
    cheers and happy hunting

VictorWisc and nc41 like this.
  37. nc41

Society Trader

I'm sure this is the place to ask, I heard breweries also supply "stadium kegs" for sports events, locked down to 3.2 to help with the drunk rowdies. Is this true or false .

38. DVMin98

DVMin98 Poo-Bah (3,408) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I buy good beer. If you need to label these as InBev, then that's too bad. You really are missing out on great brews. The BCBBW is the best barleywine I've ever had.

I don't buy Bud Light, Bud, MGD, Coors Light for one reason....they are awful. I will though, on occasion, drink a Blue Moon....its not bad.

I commend you for sticking to your guns. Everyone has a reason for doing what they do. People like you are why my local beer guru still has 1/2 a case of the barley wine, allowing me to buy more :slight_smile:

cavedave likes this.
  39. nc41

Society Trader

I don't hunt BCBS or chase trucks, I get an Email from one beer store when it's in on a 1st come basis. If it's there great if not that's ok, I always keep a stash here of brews I can trade for it and variants. It is that good IMO, I've had every year since 2007, and except older oxidized bottles there is no difference for me from 2009 to 2012. The 2013 is a little different, the bottles are 14.2% not 15, we have a state limit here of 15, so do others. I assume they brewed different batches to keep it well away from the 15 so they could expand their market. I got a 2013 from Chicago that hits 14.9%, so they are different. The 14.2% of all things hit me as being a little bitter at the finish, I'll let it sit and mellow a bit and work thru the 2012 stuff.

40. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Devotee (459) Mar 26, 2011 California

I feel like I am in a conundrum wrapped up inside an enigma as I despise all things BMC but still love BCBS and its variants and spend startling amounts of time and money acquiring them.

funhog and Warlocks-Passage like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.