Does anyone else think beer taste stronger in a bottle vs a can

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Detour12, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Detour12

Detour12 Initiate (48) Dec 1, 2017 Massachusetts

I buy cans and bottles when I try the can it seems lighter eve when i pouring into a glass but when I try the bottle version i pour it into a cup i get a stronger taste. i get the full beer flavor. anyone notice that too ? i notice this with budweiser

vabeerguy likes this.
  2. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Meyvn (1,167) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

I always preferred bottles when I drank directly from the container. It was a heft/sturdiness thing, not taste, though. Now, I drink from a glass and couldn't care less about bottle vs. can.

Thankin_Hank, thebeers, Rug and 3 others like this.
  3. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,669) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,183) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Ditto.

5. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,322) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Have someone while you are out of the room, pour a can of Bud into 3 small glasses (4oz each). Have them do the same with a bottle. Have them mark secretly on a piece of paper which glasses are Can vs Bottle. Then you come in the room and do a blind taste test from the 6 sample pours without knowing what is what. Report back to us, If you could consistently taste and identify the can Bud vs Bottle Bud.

6. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,654) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I haven't noticed that at all and speak with some experience.

7. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (893) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yes

As I have said before, High Life in cans and bottles Taste different. The cans are much creamier while the bottles are more tingly carbonation. I prefer the bottles and buy them even though cans are less money. I drink direct from the bottles or can and do not pour my AAL into a glass.

Enjoy

8. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (9,061) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Not stronger but different in mouthfeel to me. Two examples would be Alpha King and TwoHearted.

9. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,177) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

No is my answer, but I always thought Budweiser returnable bottles had a softer carbonation and always tasted fresher than cans. I ran a bar for years that sold returnable bottles of Bud, Blue Ribbon, Miller, and Schlitz. To me they all seemed to taste better from the returnables than the cans. Maybe a quicker turn-around in the market? Or was it bottle reverence above the poor lowly can o'beer?

10. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,648) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I did that last night with Saison Dupont in a 750ml bottle, an 11.2oz bottle, and a can... and had no trouble identifying all three. Some things to note though: Dupont's beer goes through secondary fermentation in the package (unlike Budweiser), and my Dupont beers were not the same age. If the OP's post is honest, not a result of container bias, and dealing with beers of equal age, temperature, and condition (which are a lot of factors), then I think the most likely cause of a difference when the beers are being poured into a glass is due to a carbonation difference. The canned beer might be subjected to more agitation at pouring, resulting in less carbonation in suspension and a less prickly feel... which will impact how the beer is perceived.

11. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Savant (906) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Well, the term 'stronger' is kinda broad or rather vague but I would agree with other posts here that a change is afoot can vs bottle vs poured out vs on tap. IMHO pert near all beers taste better on tap (exponentially better flavor by sheer volume). But more to the OPs point, to my palate, there's a slight difference in feel and flavor intensity in the can vs bottle battle. I think it's a matter of personal liking if one finds one way or the other better. It's still the same beer. The blind taste test is most certainly a fun and EZ and effective way to vindicate a pro/con way to enjoy one's brew. Cheers!

Rug and Blogjackets like this.
  12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,161) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Chris, will you be posting your taste test results (e.g., the side-by-side thread)?

Cheers!

Scrapss likes this.
  13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,253) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

For me to answer the OP's question with authority I would have to have the same beer in a bottle and can one right after the other. I haven't been in that situation to do that. So my answer is no, I haven't noticed any difference between packaging types.

Blogjackets, beergoot and Bitterbill like this.
  14. SILVER

SILVER Initiate (184) Jan 3, 2007 Florida

I haven't drank out of a container in decades, so I wouldn't have an answer for this question.
    I state this because, IMHO, I feel the question is irrevelant.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  15. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,183) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Silly me for assuming the OP was pouring from said containers to proper glassware. :pensive:

Bitterbill likes this.
  16. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,317) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, just like the typical crown's plastic liner* can absorb some hop aroma & flavor, the plastic polymer liner of the cans will actually absorb alcohol. Just cut the top and bottom of the can off, slice it down the side and force the now open cylinder of aluminum as flat as you can, take the small blade of a Swiss Army knife, scrap off the lining and eat it = Get Drunker! :astonished:

17. JackHorzempa

Society

JK, I was aware of the aroma/flavor scalping effect but this is the first time I have heard (read) about the can BPA liner absorbing alcohol. Do you have a link (or reference) you can provide for further reading? For example, how much alcohol can the BPA liner of a 12 ounce can absorb?

Cheers!

@SierraTerence

SierraTerence likes this.
  18. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,317) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:astonished:Hopefully it'll be the last time, too. :wink:

steveh likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Society

:flushed:

vabeerguy likes this.
  20. honkey

honkey Disciple (337) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Trader

Definitely for that to be a fair trial, you’d need to eliminate those variables… same batch, same storage conditions, and ideally from a more consistent brewery

I think if we’re talking about BMC beers, different batches with poor/inconsistent storage wouldn’t matter and that any difference is a preconceived notion. If we’re talking about craft brewers, I would question if canning and bottling came from the same batch or even the same facility and how much batch to batch variation exists if people claim to taste a difference.

o29, dbrauneis, BBThunderbolt and 4 others like this.
  21. JackHorzempa

Society

Weedy, I 100% agree with the aspect of "same storage conditions" with the caveat that this also includes same conditions throughout the transport from the brewery across the Atlantic Ocean and throughout the Customs Warehouse -> Importer -> Wholesale Distributor -> Retailer.

Do you have an opinion about Saison Brewery as regards "consistent brewery"?

Cheers!

22. honkey

Trader

My opinion is that they’re not consistent at all. I had a pack from them about 2 years ago. I frequently buy classic examples of styles like that when I’m writing a blog post for inspiration. I hadn’t had it in a long time but was shocked by how sweet it was. I checked the gravity and was surprised to see it around 1.007 and I was also surprised at how much ester flavor I got with less phenols than I remembered. I bought another bottle from them as a single and it was much more similar to my memory flavor-wise, it was also slightly paler and the gravity was 1.002. I ended up getting another pack months later and was surprised by how bitter it was.

ElmerLovejoy, o29 and JackHorzempa like this.
  23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,905) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

What is this bah-tuhl you speak of?

beergoot likes this.
  24. ABrown08

ABrown08 Initiate (15) Nov 16, 2021 Indiana

I refuse to drink beer from a can. If I have a beer that's in a can, I'll pour it in a beer glass or cup.

25. JackHorzempa

Society

FWIW that has been similar to my experiences but I have always thought it was a transport/storage thing.
    So, did you 'de-carbonate' those beers and measure the FG (with a hydrometer?)?

A difference in FG is certainly not a transport/storage thing.

Cheers!

26. honkey

Trader

I measured with an Anton Paar Easy Dens and followed all the same practices we use commercially

27. dbl_delta

dbl_delta Poo-Bah (3,240) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I drank PBR pretty much exclusively for a long long time, and I always drank from the container. (Glass??? We don' need no steenkin' glass!!)
    My PBR era spanned the transition from glass returnables to glass recyclables to cans. I always had a very subjective preference for the glass returnables. Cans were a distant second, and I really didn't like the glass recyclables. I thought the PBR from cans tasted a little metallic - kind of like when you stick your tongue on a 9v battery.
    I could always drink way more bottles than cans. (That was my rudimentary rating system at the time,) So I think the OP is onto something - at least if you're drinking AALs straight from the container.

28. JackHorzempa

Society

Doh! I should have guessed it would be something beyond a hydrometer.

I had to look this thing up since I was heretofore unfamiliar:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/easydens-anton-paar-1.html

Does this instrument 'work' with carbonated beer?

Cheers!

P.S. Thanks for the continuing education.

P.S.S. I am drinking my recently brewed Smokey & Spicy Brown Ale now as I watch the Cowboys - Chiefs game. Weyermann Smoked Malt was 30% of the grain bill and Rye Malt was 20%.

29. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (7,675) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Nope...

Blogjackets likes this.
  30. zid

Society Trader

You can't really eliminate all the variables though (as a consumer :wink:). What you can do is look for repeating patterns over multiple experiences. That's the case for me and Dupont... and the packaging is a variable that makes a physical difference that goes beyond pre-packaging batch consistency. Regarding BMC and related, whenever I've done a blind comparison of can vs bottle with various "macro" brands, I've noticed a difference. How much of that difference was due to batch variation, beer condition, packaging, etc., I can't say... but I can say that "preconceived notions" were not the main factor here. Flavor differences were not consistent... but the impact of container on carbonation/head formation/retention was pretty apparent and relatively consistent. The container impacts the physical experience even when pouring the beer into another vessel. To what degree is another story.

31. zid

Society Trader

I was not planning on it, but I suppose I should. I've compared them a bunch of times but I still want to do a couple more... so perhaps I'll make a post down the road.

bubseymour, o29 and JackHorzempa like this.
  32. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Aspirant (296) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Nope. Same beer/different storage vessel.

33. defunksta

defunksta Meyvn (1,161) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Trader

I suspect this may be due to the stronger intensity of skunky light-struck or papery oxidized beer that may be more prevalent in the bottled versions. You know, there's often not much more to taste in a Budweiser than these off-flavors.
    In my experience with craft beer I pour everything into a glass. I prefer a can due to the longer shelf-life, but have not noticed a difference when fresh from a bottle.

34. honkey

Trader

The sample still needs to be decarbonated, but it’s much quicker than degassing a sample for a normal hydrometer… a few mL in a syringe, cap off the end with your finger, pull the plunger and release pressure. I repeat this 4-5 times and then put the sample in the easy dens. As long as there’s no co2 breakout visually causing bubbles, it’s accurate

35. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (172) Mar 14, 2007 California

Yeah, never heard of this... If it does, I wouldn't image it changing the ABV by more than a couple hundredths of a percent.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  36. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,223) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Bottle or can makes no difference, but if you tap a keg into a red solo cup, THAT is definitely stronger! (Or, so I seem to remember....) :sunglasses:

steveh likes this.
  37. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Poo-Bah (1,823) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

No but I want my Anchor Steam Beer in bottles.

38. Scrapss

Scrapss Crusader (754) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

I prefer beer non-pasteurized in the stainless steel 1/6 or 1/4 tall keg container over bottles and cans. It's environmentally friendly, recyclable packaging and it preserves the superior taste even over bottling or canning.

Note that this form factor is more of a commitment, so you better like what you're buying a whole lot.