Does anyone find themselves drinking less of the "big national" craft beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Mar 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,967) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, for The Brewers Association there is for the latter:
    And I'd say their "Large" = "Macrobrewery" (esp. in the US at this point, since there are only MillerCoors and AB producing over 6M bbl. domestically).

steveh likes this.
  2. tolar111

tolar111 Crusader (751) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Society

Bud proclaimed they were "Proudly Macro Beer" in their 2015 Super Bowl commercial

steveh likes this.
  3. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Devotee (438) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I buy & drink local. It would be nearly impossible, tho, for me to try every beer that comes out of Houston, let alone Texas. So, I keep trying to tick away..

4. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,027) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

I don't think there are any "big national" craft beers here. So, I am not drinking less of them.

Junior likes this.
  5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,611) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Was that the same campaign with Time for a good ol' macro-brew? Not sure why I confused it with Miller. Oh, wait -- yes I do. :wink:

6. steveh

Society

Looks like they don't use production output as their only qualification (no surprise):
    • Anchor Brewing Co
    • 1705 Mariposa St
    • San Francisco, CA 94107-2334 | Map
    • Phone: (415) 863-8350
    • Type: Large
    • www.anchorbrewing.com
    • Greater than 25% ownership by Sapporo Holdings Ltd.

7. steveh

Society

Nope -- wasn't confused -- don't know the commercial date, but this was posted to YouTube in 2013:

(wait for 1:08)

cavedave likes this.
  8. tolar111

tolar111 Crusader (751) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Society

Wow, that was in the late 1990's, good call!

steveh likes this.
  9. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (216) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

When I lived in Jersey I didn't drink the big boy brands, but now that I live in PA I end up buying them more and more often. I mean you have to put a second mortgage on your home to buy a NEIPA in PA. $20 a 4 pack FOH!

LuskusDelph likes this.
  10. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Meyvn (1,117) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri
    Society

I like to try lots of different beers but also like to support the local breweries.

11. Burgy

Burgy Initiate (161) Jan 14, 2015 Minnesota

I rarely buy big national crafts; 80-90% of what I drink is from my home state of Minnesota. My most frequent purchases come from Castle Danger, Surly, Fair State, Barrel Theory and Steel Toe. If I'm drinking beer from elsewhere, it's usually Bell's Two-Hearted (the most glaring exception to my initial statement), a couple things from O'Dell's or occasionally Founders, or just about anything from Toppling Goliath.

bigstar87 and Junior like this.
  12. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (980) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I drink a lot less SNPA than I used to replaced by local brews.That said when I do have a SNPA I wonder why I brother drinking other beers.

13. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (92) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

On the contrary. I have found myself this year drinking MORE of the big national craft beers, and moving away from the local brews. This is primarily due to price. Local craft is still very expensive, and many national distributors have really good offerings. For example, I have been buying SN Hazy Little Thing for $17/twelve pack, Jai Alai for $9.99/six pack, any Founders 15-packs, and even Sam Adams NEIPA at $9.99/four-pack. I absolutely do still support my local breweries, but less than a year or two ago.

14. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (92) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

I have returned to SNPA. Left if for a while, and now it is again a staple in my fridge.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  15. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (298) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

I would drink more local beer if I didn't have to drive all over hells half acre to find it.
    OMB is fairly easy to find. As well as Oskar Blues and Highland.
    But others are a bit hard to find in stores. I still like Bells Two Hearted. Even now.

16. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (938) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

This doesn't necessarily have to do with how wide a brewery's footprint is, but...

I hate to admit this, but I lose almost all interest in a beer once it becomes year-round. I almost solely drink one-offs or rotating/seasonal beers. I'll occasionally have a go-to 4pk of something when I'm running low on beer, but otherwise it's all one-offs or rotating beers. Almost no year-round beers in my fridges.

Junior likes this.
  17. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (345) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

That's mostly non-BA people though: "oh- you have to try this scotch ale from xxx near me, it's the best beer... ever!"

::tastes scotch ale that tastes like a very average scotch ale::
    ::isn't sure person who said this was the best beer ever, has ever tasted a scotch ale::
    ::abides::

LuskusDelph and thesherrybomber like this.
  18. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (220) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I buy almost all my beer direct from breweries- Tree House, Trillium, and Jack's Abby are my most visited stops. I am a happy man.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  19. Amendm

Amendm Defender (671) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

20. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Crusader (767) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Society Trader

Being that you live in Canada, do you drink fancy "imported beers" like Budweiser or Sam Adams?

21. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,967) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Canadian Budweiser is brewed by Labatt (InBev-owned since the '90s) and has been starting around 1980 - pre-InBev for either brewery. Most reports have it the best selling beer in the country. :astonished:

But, then, they got "the good stuff" early on...
    [​IMG]

22. Pstone530

Pstone530 Initiate (85) Mar 15, 2018 California
    Trader

I am an hour and a half north of Sacramento (in Chico). Luckily a lot of the 100 something breweries in the greater area have distribution here. Fresh Sn is probably 15-20 percent of what I drink. 65-70 percent Northern California Locals (New Glory. With a few special release stouts from out of state when they get distribution here.

Junior likes this.
  23. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (535) Mar 19, 2012 California

Nope. Pretty much the same. If I was an IPA freak, I may be more likely to hit locals. However, the two best breweries for fresh IPAs are 30-40 miles away (Fieldworks and Cellarmaker).

mogulskier likes this.
  24. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (86) Feb 3, 2019 California

Same here. Fieldwork, Cellarmaker, BareBottle, and others are within an hours drive.

Alvarado Street, Moonraker, Russian River, New Glory, etc are alot further, but doable for fresh beer and brewery-only releases.

Junior likes this.
  25. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (242) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

We'll said. If anything, I have gone back to buying more of the brewers that first got me into craft. SN, GLBC, anchor, victory, etc.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  26. steveh

Society

Your specifics are still vague. Some breweries are big, others are macro. I would never refer to Sierra Nevada as a macro-brewery.

TongoRad likes this.
  27. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,027) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

As @jesskidden notes, Budweiser is brewed here as are, I believe, all the beers from the international conglomerates. That said, Miller High Life was for a time imported, and may still be. Ontario has one of the most limited selections of US craft beer in Canada. We get some Founders, some Oskar Blues, some Sam Adams, some Modern Times occasionally, New Holland, and recently Lickinghole Creek. The Goose Island we get is brewed here, except for the odd ‘14 Vanilla Rye release here in 2016. A couple other not too exciting brands too that I can’t think of at the moment. Fat Tire will be available here soon for the first time, brewed under contract.

I don’t think any of these are available nationwide, even excluding places like Yukon and Nunavut which have very limited beer options.

28. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,217) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

No, the opposite.

I buy significantly more well known, larger craft (and import Belgian/German) beers than ever before from producers I can trust to make world class beer. Locals tend to be more expensive and not as good. There are clear exceptions to this (most of my IPA consumption is local because it's more reliably fresh and there's no shortage of options, but even there I don't exclusively drink $4+/pint beers at home), but the cellar got too big, the options got too numerous, and it stopped being as much fun to chase every new, interesting, or well regarded beer.

TongoRad likes this.
  29. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,217) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Yes.

For me it's possible to find a place with enough compounding factors that would cause me to warp my spending habits to support them even if there's comparable beer available for less (see: Highland Park Brewery when I lived down the street from them), but the simple fact of being local won't do it.

30. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (165) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

I mainly drink local and imports from other countries. I used to drink Sam Adams but not so much anymore. Lately I've been drinking trader joe's beers.

31. Euphoria69

Euphoria69 Initiate (143) May 11, 2014 Missouri

Over the past year, I have discovered a lot of local brewers that seemed to have popped up overnight. Most of them are family and dog-friendly environments with local live entertainment. They will either have food trucks or make their own food. The best part is the beer. Original and amazing flavor because unlike bottled beer it's made fresh and taped there in the same building. Once a beer is bottled or canned it loses its je ne sais quoi or moxie. Science can probably define the reasoning but, I like to think of it as the difference between a home-cooked meal and frozen meals. My grandma said she put her love into every meal, that's what made it special. I believe that is what the local brewers do because they just love making the beer. My advice to anyone unsatisfied with mass produced bottle beer to try your local breweries.

32. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Devotee (442) Nov 18, 2008 New York

DFH 90 Minutes, SN's Torpedo, Two Hearted, Jever.... all in my fridge at regular intervals year round. Heck, even the popular AAL's like Rolling Rock, Pabst, Old Milwaukee...

TongoRad likes this.
  33. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (345) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Nothing like a fresh taped beer :grin:

Sorry I couldn't help myself. Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.