Does anyone know how Hop Cannons/Hop Rockets Work?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by nastyphoenix, May 17, 2018.

1. nastyphoenix

nastyphoenix Initiate (100) May 17, 2018 Scotland

I am trying to rig up a homebrew version of the Hop Cannon/ Rocket that commercial breweries use. I have heard that they cut the dry hopping time down to just hours and you can use less hops to get a bigger hop profile. The Hoplex hop cannon is called the Hop Torpedo and their website says you purge it with CO2 and use at pressure. Does this apply to homebrew methods? Could I just make one with re-circulation through a bed of hops?

I really love hops and if I can get even more flavour from them then even better!

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,545) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Maybe this video will be helpful to you:

riptorn likes this.
  3. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,382) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

The commercial ones are used to shoot hops into a fermenter, high pressure gas is used for the shot. It is a one way process. The brewers don’t have to climb to the top of a tall fermenter and pour the hops in.

The hop torpedo recirculates the beer through a container with a screen/false bottom like the video that Jack posted. Sierra Nevada developed the first ones about 10 years or so back. The beer comes out of the bottom and is returned at the top of the fermenter IIRC.

I have used my hop rocket as a torpedo. I don’t have a small pump. I pushed the beer from keg to keg using CO2 pressure. Repeated the process a few times with the same charge of hops to get the effect I was after. You want to purge the kegs, hop rocket and lines with CO2. I was happy with the results.

Finding whole hops in the new proprietary varieties is not easy. It seems that everything is pellets at most LHBS today.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  4. nastyphoenix

nastyphoenix Initiate (100) May 17, 2018 Scotland

Thanks guys, does anyone know if the Blichman ones allow for T90? The one I mentioned does so I want to know what sort of filter I need. See below, it’s a commercial one but I want to make a small homebrew version.

https://www.hoplex.net/hop-torpedo