Does anyone know what the Cheers to Belgian Beers yeast will be yet?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by mmciz, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmciz

mmciz Initiate (0) May 4, 2010 Oregon

They should be tossing the darts and all that soon, yes?

Logsdon won the People's Choice so it will be choosing again?

2. beeraroundtown

beeraroundtown Initiate (32) Oct 11, 2008 Oregon

I've heard there won't be a single yeast strain this year. Not sure if there is a homebrew competition at all. I believe the breweries get to use what ever type of Belgian yeast they want.

3. JPK

JPK Initiate (0) May 20, 2012 Oregon

http://oregonbeer.org/pctbb/

4. mmciz

Thanks. Doing a search for text shows no info on 2013 Dart throw, though.

5. LoPo87

LoPo87 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Logsdon won last year and selected Brettanomyces. They apparently decided to scrap the one yeast strain idea and just go with an open belgian beer competition.

6. Chou

Chou Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Oregon

Please tell me Rogue isn't on the dartboard (cough, cough, beard yeast, cough).

mmciz likes this.
  7. TheNewSchool

TheNewSchool Initiate (19) Oct 6, 2011 Oregon

no specific yeast, no dart throw and no homebrew competition. What made the festival unique has been getting watered down and is now completely gone. It's just a free for all Belgian-style beer from Oregon fest now.

8. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2004 Oregon

9. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (60) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Already noticed these are on the same day. I'm kinda bummed, as I'd like to hit each of these with a fresh pallet, but given the choice, I'll go to mongers first and then see if I've got the stamina to check out ctbb

10. mmciz

Wowza, the Mongers are going straight at CTBB?!?

...but so far it's mostly out of state breweries?

11. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Crusader (752) Mar 2, 2008 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Seriously? The beers at Cheers to Belgian Beers were uniformly terrible because of the one yeast strain idea. Maybe it was because they only give the brewers like 2 months to create a beer from the throw, but uniqueness is all well and good unless the beers suck (which they did.)

12. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Gotta agree with Luke. I like the concept of CTBB, but the time constraints always meant that 80% of the beer tasted like the low-end of homebrew. At least you get a real glass, though.

Sarlacc83 likes this.
  13. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2005 Oregon

14. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (396) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Just saw on Logsdon's facebook that they're no longer participating in this years festival. Instead they will be doing a tasting over at Belmont Station. Wonder what's up with that?

15. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Disciple (307) Oct 23, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I'm guessing it's because the fest did away with the People's Choice Award, which Logsdon won the last two years.

16. kscaldef

Beer Trader

I'm guessing it's not, but I'll keep my rumor-mongering to less public forums...

jgrgas and maltmaster420 like this.
  17. teddyarrowhead

Beer Trader

I talked to one of the Logsdon guys last night and confirmed my suspicion. The primary reason was the People's Choice Award going away after they named their submission (PnB) and also getting rid of the yeast selection for the competition/winner. They love the festival, but without the competition/award, it essentially came down to not wanting to 'donate' $2k worth of one of their best beers that could go into the Oregon marketplace.

I'm obviously paraphrasing, but there's your info.

EDIT: An 'official' source - http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-30058-logsdon_walks_away_from_cheers_to_belgian_beers.html

I also agree with your comments above about the beers being much better overall at this year's festival with the yeast restriction lifted. I didn't have a single 'bad' beer last night, whereas in the past there were definitely some serious drain pour candidates.

18. kscaldef

Beer Trader

That "article" is a little lacking in any sort of critical analysis. It surely seems like a proper reporting might dig into why the format of the festival changed so dramatically.

19. teddyarrowhead

Beer Trader

We're talking about the WW here. I hope they at least got the direct quotes right.

As to your question, the OBG says, "Since 2008, Oregon brewers have won medals in the Belgian-Style or Sour Ale categories every year at the Great American Beer Festival and the World Beer Cup. In order to showcase these medal winning beers, opening up the Festival to beers that have been aged, blended, barrel aged or soured and not requiring all brewers to do so was necessary."

mmciz likes this.
  20. kscaldef

Beer Trader

That's a very politic way of explaining the changes.

21. jgrgas

jgrgas Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2006 Oregon

What I'm about to say is not fact, but personal analysis as a participating brewer. While the yeast selection and dart toss was great in spirit, the result was a lot of rushed, subpar beers. The enthusiasm was definitely waning and I get the impression many felt obligated to participate and then submitted a beer they weren't proud of. Selecting the yeast and having the dart throw earlier could have alleviated some of these problems as this would have afforded the brewers time to learn and play with the strain, while possibly negotiating Wyeast to donate some pitches (this isn't an unreasonable expectation since all of the beer poured at the fest is donated). This would obviously increase familiarity with the strain, which would then hopefully result in better beers, which would then reflect more positively on the Guild, Wyeast, all of the brewers.

OK, that was a bit of a digression. Basically, I feel that since most of the beers sucked, the decision was made to loosen the restriction and simplify the format to make it like every other themed festival around. After tasting about 15 different beers yesterday I'd say this was the most successful Cheers to Belgian Beers yet.

22. kscaldef

Beer Trader

I totally agree with these short-comings & suggestions. My unsolicited advice to the OBG would be to change the rules as follows (and enforce them):

• Restore the People's Choice Award
    • Yeast selection and dart throw should happen within 1 month after the festival
      • Select yeast randomly this time to re-seed the competition
    • The yeast selected must be a Saccharomyces strain
    • Beer submissions must use (only) the selected strain, and conform to the dart throw results
      • Possible alternative: only conforming beers are eligible to win the People's Choice Award
    While I don't think this will heal the riff between Logsdon and the OBG, I think it would improve the festival and prevent similar situations from re-occurring.

msubulldog25 likes this.
  23. jgrgas

Agree, but then the Brewer's Guild would need to be organized and stick to its rules, neither of which have been the case for years.

24. goodbyeohio

SMOKEFEST

msubulldog25 and boMD like this.
  25. deathcharms

deathcharms Initiate (68) Jul 11, 2009 California

Who won the Smoker?

26. goodbyeohio

Amy (Kyle from Widmer's fiancee)

27. msubulldog25

And I would say, after tasting 15-20 beers on Saturday, that my favorite (er... "People's Choice"?) vote would go to The Commons Emilie. Really excellent stuff, IMO...

JPK and jgrgas like this.
  28. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Aspirant (271) Dec 7, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Is this a for-profit event? I looked on the website but didn't see anything about the event being for charity.

29. kscaldef

Beer Trader

Worst event website evar

30. cavemanlawyer

Beer Trader

Just wondering why the brewers are "asked" to donate the beer if it is a for-profit event.

31. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (396) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I would have to go with Cascade's Chuggit Pucker. That beer was awesome.

32. msubulldog25

I just missed that one from Cascade (the sign was pulled down while I was standing in line for it). My other favorites were: Solera's The Fez, Upright's Bright Moments, Coalition's Sour Puss... and the oddly delicious Meyer-Bay Saison from Stickmen (tasted a lot like Chai Tea in the finish, which I love)

33. kscaldef

Beer Trader

Was being quite serious... it's the worst festival website I've ever seen...

That said, isn't OBG itself a non-profit? Whose members are the breweries themselves?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know which other festivals in the area make breweries donate their beer and which ones pay for the kegs? My understanding was that it's not uncommon for breweries not to get paid.

34. jgrgas

Oregon Brewer's Guild is a non-profit trade association supposedly representing Oregon craft breweries. Every beer at all the OBG festivals (Cheers, Fresh Hop, Malt Ball) is donated. I believe they perceive these events to be fundraisers for the Guild, but it really pisses me off that the cut is being made at the expense of due-paying breweries. It's one of my greatest frustrations (of which there are many).

Typically, fests pay full retail value for the keg (usually with a certain price ceiling), but also charge an entry fee, usually resulting in a complete wash. The justification is that these events are essential marketing events for the breweries, which is something I'm not entirely sold on. Once again, having organized a few festivals, the largest expense items are glassware and beer. However, it's extremely frustrating that the most of these events are basically making their money off of the breweries backs. I'm sure they feel differently, but it's really difficult as a supplier not have another outlook.

Smaller, themed fests, like Puckerfest of Smokefest, simply buy the keg and markup the beer accordingly. Obviously, we're a big fan of this system and give priority to events like these.

Here's a really high level list. I can let you know the structure of any fest I forget.

Buys Kegs + entry fee:
    OBF
    PIB
    Holiday Ale
    NAOBF
    Fruit Beer
    Spring Beer & Wine

Donation
    Fresh hops x3
    Malt Ball
    Cheers
    Oregon Garden Brewfest

teddyarrowhead, JPK and msubulldog25 like this.
  35. cavemanlawyer

Beer Trader

Thank you for the detailed response. Seems like a pretty sweet deal for the OBG!

36. mmciz

37. kscaldef

Beer Trader

Ahh... that article was mentioned in this thread as soon as it was posted.

mmciz likes this.
  38. kscaldef

Beer Trader

Josh, thank you for your -- as usual -- thoughtful, detailed, and informative post. As someone who personally prefers the atmosphere of the smaller festivals around town, it's nice to know that they're also better for the local breweries. And, I'm really looking forward to getting to try Emilie at the tasting room sometime soon :)

39. jgrgas

Thanks Kevin, having been a BA prior to getting in the industry I recall my curiosity about the finer details of the business. I'm now using this forum to hopefully provide clarity and disclosure from whatever meager knowledge I have accumulated.

As for Emilie, we're waiting on the beer to finish conditioning and we'll have bottles and draft available sometime in the next few weeks, most likely the first weekend in March. I anticipate Thursday, March 2nd being the release date. We're pretty psyched with how this one turned out and are eagerly waiting to taste the bottle conditioned version.

40. jgrgas

Thanks Brian. We're not being shy, for once, about how happy we are with this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More