Does craft beer have room for this type of customer service?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PorterPatron, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _-_-Jason-_-_

_-_-Jason-_-_ Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2014 New York

Sorry, but I think this line of thinking is just simply wrong and illogical. When you own or run a business, you are the boss, end of story. Words actually mean things, you can't just throw them into a blender when it suits some narrative.

If a business owner needs someone else to handle the nutty customers because they can't handle it, then they should hire someone else to do so.

Whatever though... cheers.

2. busternuggz

busternuggz Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 California

I've started a Kickstarter to raise money for torches and rakes.

gibgink, Donkster46, Duff27 and 9 others like this.
  3. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (281) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

Is prepaying, missing out, and NOT getting a refund normal (or even LEGAL)? That's why I ask just what exactly you are "buying" initially. I do like the idea of prepaying, buying tickets, and setting a window. For those that miss out, its a tough luck situation but no refunds? That's crap

4. jdaddy

jdaddy Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2010 Pennsylvania

I don't think we are arguing here. It's simply the concept of FU money. Alpine owners likely got a pretty good windfall from the Green Flash acquisition and may be blowing off a bit of FU. As consumers of the latest and hottest, we are pretty much dicks.

As an ongoing business venture, terrible response. I am certainly not trying to justify the dickhead response. It was as demeaning as possible. I am simply suggesting where the response may have come from.

_-_-Jason-_-_ likes this.
  5. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,235) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Dick.............................

6. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Initiate (172) Sep 21, 2012 Texas
    Trader

That's pretty dickish but that's his reputation. I guess when your beers are in demand you can be as much of a dick as you can get away with before it starts to hurt sales. Clearly it hasn't hurt sales yet.

I'd make a claim with the credit card company. Let them sort it out with Alpine. They won't find that response amusing in the least.

DWheeler379 and jrnyc like this.
  7. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

a dick followed by 29 periods...that's what I call a dry spell. Ohhhhh!!!!

8. parrotsnest

parrotsnest Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2010 Washington

9. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (115) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

I like how the guy on facebook that's being an ass is Facebook friends with Patrick. That explains his response

JavaNoire and parrotsnest like this.
  10. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

link?

11. 1eyed_jack

parrotsnest and TheeWalrusHunter like this.
  12. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington

I used to know Patrick when his brewery was smaller. These days, he won't answer emails. He's probably too busy...He is the owner/head brewer at a brewery in SoCal that starts with the letter "A." That's terrible. He's a good guy, or at least used to be a good guy. I am sure he has an excuse. Maybe... :slight_frown:

#92 mabermud, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    parrotsnest likes this.
  13. 1eyed_jack

Honestly though, there is no excuse.

At my job I deal with people on a regular basis, and even if I'm having an awful day, that's no excuse for me to treat another human being like shit for no reason at all.

14. mabermud

Since you cannot read very well, that sentence of the post was specifically for you. LOL!

15. TankerSteve

TankerSteve Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Washington

You can pay for something and not receive it? Pick up window? Not getting money back? Why are these terms acceptable to even suggest as being a thing? Can someone explain this to me in a way that makes this seem reasonable?

16. Jeph222

Jeph222 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Pennsylvania

What's he saying? How can you tell he's FB friends with Pat.

17. 1eyed_jack

Some guy replied by saying "terms are terms....they could not have been any clearer" and he posted a picture of a baby crying. I clicked on the guys name and it showed he was friends with the patrick guy.

parrotsnest likes this.
  18. Jeph222

Jeph222 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Pennsylvania

Thanks for the quick response.

parrotsnest and 1eyed_jack like this.
  19. the_trystero

the_trystero Disciple (346) Mar 19, 2013 California
    Trader

Yeah, more and more places are doing this on limited releases. I just don't get it. There's gotta be a better way. Charge a restocking fee or whatever, the beer is gonna sell no matter what in cases like these anyway so why take ALL the customer's money? To have people pay in full up front and give only a two week or sometimes just a one week pick up window I think is ridiculous. And some of my favorite breweries do this.

heatwaves and mabermud like this.
  20. mabermud

I get it, just like everyone else gets it, but won't believe it. It is all about money. This is the United States, what would you expect. The #1 capitalistic country on Earth...

1eyed_jack likes this.
  21. hopnado

glad to see you learned how to use the EDIT function

22. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,217) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

I'm not sure it's by all accounts, but I also wouldn't take kindly to kids on my front lawn @ 5AM either:slight_smile: Point taken, however -- his brand of customer service ain't at this level.

By the way, for folks asking about not getting a refund, here's the verbiage from the Kiwi lottery. I think this was similar to the setup for the recent Ann lottery too, no?

23. mabermud

Just checking to see if you can really read junior.

24. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

It's situations like this that show you how a buisness operates. Obviously, you missed the six day window and the terms are pretty clear BUT there is always something that can be done. They could have refunded your money, given you a gift card or even offered you something cool that I don't even know about. Instead, they chose to be assholes which simply tells me they don't care about your buisness.

I'm sure there are other breweries out there that are simliar but usually places like that don't last long unless they are putting out some killer product. Usually people act like this after a little bit of succes because they think that one person isn't going to matter. It's unfortunate, but I think there are way more out there that genuinely do care about their customers. The majority would happily have your buisness and not respond to you like a 12 year old.

utopiajane, russpowell and 1eyed_jack like this.
  25. 1eyed_jack

Christ, almost $20 a bottle for that???

The fine print is there, but I think any respectable brewery would at least honor the price in store credit.

PSU_Mike and RockAZ like this.
  26. hopnado

crystal CleAr senior

27. mabermud

No offense son.

28. hopnado

none taken dusty balls:stuck_out_tongue:

29. mabermud

Don't make me tell everybody why your parents had your mouth sewn shut boy.

I know they wanted a son.

30. hopnado

It's because I drank all their beer captain hard candy

31. BostonHops

BostonHops Champion (872) Sep 21, 2011 Massachusetts

The response was douchebaggery of the highest order. I'd expect more class from the kind of plebe who trolls the comment sections of ESPN clickbait, never mind the proprietor of an establishment. But that aside, how is this even legal? I get that there was some fine print, terms of service yadda yadda, but isn't there a point where you violate state law regardless of terms of service? You could theoretically throw all kinds of junk in your ToS, that doesn't necessarily make it legal. Idk, maybe it's clear I'm not a lawyer, just strikes me that there has to be some ground to dispute the charges.

JavaNoire likes this.
  32. parrotsnest

parrotsnest Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2010 Washington

They didn't need to do anything other than not be an asshole to the customer. It's pretty simple. I do agree that some places might have helped the guy out though.

33. readyski

readyski Aspirant (256) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

No degree of success can excuse that behavior. Always wanted to try an Alpine (hard to find in NorCal), but this leaves a bad impression. I do agree with restocking fee, but not 100% of the amount.

JavaNoire likes this.
  34. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Devotee (489) Jan 7, 2013 California

That's the best thing to do. I'm sure for as much as Pat found that extra Kiwi to be delicious, he won't be loving the taste of having to deal with a charge back claim on his next Credit Card sales record.

I had a similar situation with them. In that I went down to pick up my bottles of Expo when it last was released. I had lost my license a week before as my wallet was stolen and had that stupid DMV temporary paper license. I figured along with a couple of CC's that had both my name and picture on them, it would be no problem - it was, after all, a government issued license/id paper. So I chilled in the brewpub prior and had a couple of beers waiting for the brewery to open to go pick up. Only they flat out refused to give me my bottles because I didn't have my actual I.D. card. Claiming that they couldn't risk their license on giving me alcohol, even after I explained that the brewpub had no problem serving me.

They were extremely rude, even talking to the manager about it, they pretty much were dicks about the whole situation even though I was driving down from L.A.

It was the last weekend of the window to pick them up and so they wrote down that it was okay to pick up after the expiration window. I have yet to bother contacting them because I just know it'll be a similar situation. Maybe I'll shoot them an email about that since it's in the spotlight.

smithj2154 likes this.
  35. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,128) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Telling them you came down from LA was your fatal mistake :slight_smile:!

36. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (513) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Sounds like a man done w/beer nerds & their wants & needs...as evident by his selling to Green Flash.

FUNKPhD, Shroud0fdoom and russpowell like this.
  37. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (527) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

People saying he was funny... I don't see it. I'm not uptight-his responses weren't even creative, just douchey.

38. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2012 Ohio

Pat is a dick. Case closed, and I will never seek out his beer.

NHhomebrewguy and azorie like this.
  39. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

This reminds me of a situation with a local BBQ place here in town. They make amazing, world-class BBQ, but the owner can be a total nightmare, especially on social media. Argumentative, rude, using a LOT of expletives, etc. Same thing would happen when he would man the window at his place and deal directly with customers.

So he got rid of his Twitter account and hired other people to deal directly with customers. The complaints stopped, the food is still amazing, and now everything is nice and smooth.

Sounds like Pat needs to let someone else deal directly with other human beings, since he obviously lacks the ability to do so. Some people should just stay in the back.

40. azorie

azorie Champion (884) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

yep depute the charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.