Does craft beer have room for this type of customer service?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PorterPatron, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cultclassic89

cultclassic89 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Texas

Yeah, this is pretty messed up. Looks like Alpine might be coming to Texas soon through Green Flash. I was planning on buying Nelson and the likes when they get here, but not anymore.

2. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Disciple (394) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Entertaining thread. I don't care who they insult. I'd still buy their beer, if it was available locally.

3. JoeyStats707

JoeyStats707 Disciple (306) Jan 28, 2014 California
    Trader

Total dick response, possibly the worst customer service I've seen and I give classes on it, but how do you forget to pick up something you paid for? More alpine for me it seems.

And whats up with the false review from you and a buddy? If you had the beer at the brewery, how do you forget to pick up the beers? Seems like you got it out for Alpine.

4. JoeyStats707

Trader

5. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,624) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

Hey you guys, terms are terms. Do you have any idea how much space 2 bottles of beer take up? Rent ain't cheap... :rolling_eyes:

6. Igotmypistola

Igotmypistola Initiate (180) Aug 30, 2010 California
    Trader

@JoeyStats707 nice detective work there DA. Does raise a few flags. Not to insult you OP, but it does seem this is the first post you've ever done. Kinda strange. What media form is this msg and has it been 'tampered'. I'm sure it's prob legit and gross, just hmm

Xpotential and JoeyStats707 like this.
  7. RockAZ

RockAZ Disciple (338) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

The terms of the special buy deal were very clearly stated, but OP's history on this forum too vague, I suspect he is trolling - But if the incident is true, I am sure in-store credit is more than acceptable response to the situation. I don't have a problem with Pat's alleged responses at all, I think they are funny and consistent with the tone of the original offer, they said the brewery staff were going to drink any bottles not picked up in time. How much clearer can you make the terms of the deal?

8. JoeyStats707

Trader

Seeing as the profile is from back east, I find it very hard to believe they remembered to buy beer, but somehow they forgot to plan the trip during the window and forgot to buy plane tickets and a hotel room? I smell a troll.

3SH33TS likes this.
  9. cultclassic89

It is true and it's been posted all over the internet. OP isn't the person in the email, by the way, he just copy and pasted from elsewhere. The problem here IS Pat's response. I work in customer service and his response is a very easy way to lose a lot of business. This whole situation is really good way of showing those who are empathetic, and those who aren't.

kerry4porters and yemenmocha like this.
  10. RockAZ

Perhaps, and thanks for clearing up the OP involvement, (sorry about that, PorterPatron !) but I think Pat's alleged responses are funny - dark, a little insulting, but still funny to me since they are consistent with the clearly stated terms of the offer. I suppose whether it is bad customer service really comes down to how the deal works out for the actual parties involved, neither of which have appeared on Reddit or BA,...

Found a comment on this Reddit thread that cracked me up, " If you're expecting a drug-dealer to make exceptions, you're gonna have a bad time." Ha!

11. Admbmb92

Admbmb92 Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2013 Oregon

This is ridiculous and unacceptable. I once sent a letter to deschutes regarding an issue that happened at their Portland pub and they were extremely professional and gracious. They sent me a $100 gift card and offered a private brewery tour to make it right. If you paid for beer and invested in their brand, then you should get beer or at least a polite message explaining why you can't pick up the bottles you paid for. Won't be supporting Alpine

mschofield, jrnyc, yemenmocha and 3 others like this.
  12. schoolboy

schoolboy Poo-Bah (2,496) Dec 23, 2005 Ohio

I think they were seeing how far they could push you. Show up in person demanding your beer. Then, if they don't give it to you, order more, and walk out without paying!

13. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (115) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

Absolutely no point in listening to anything else you have to say.

How could you not have a problem with that?

He freaking laughed when the guy asked him a question, who does that? Is this guy 15 years old? He is owner of a company and he seems to think he's leading a frat party or something.

I prefer places I do business with and give money to at least act with common decency rather than immaturity.

Plenty of beers to drink. NOT drinking Alpine is absolutely no skin off anyone's back, and that's what I suggest everyone do.

14. 1eyed_jack

My experience with them was similar. I absolutely love Deschutes. They make great beer and not just in one style, the people working there are some of the nicest people you will meet and their beer isn't marked up like crazy and it quite affordable. One of, if not my favorite brewery out there.

Customer service goes a long way.

Admbmb92 and fox227 like this.
  15. Telly13

Telly13 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 California

Right on lol the merchant (Alpine) will also have to pay and extra fee for a chargeback so OP will have last laugh

BrettHead and pagriley like this.
  16. Local_Yeti

Local_Yeti Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2013 New York

Fine Print undermines fair business practices.

Terms and Conditions = Ways In which I can screw you over , and in such ways that are upheld in courts.

Beer Sales should be ( but obviously are not always the case)

Terms : Beer for sale to individuals of legal age
    Conditions : Legal Tender only-->Pay per fl. Oz unit. --> Agree to pay any federal or state glass/can deposit.--> All sales are final unless beer is infected within a certain reasonable time period.

17. PorterPatron

PorterPatron Initiate (124) Feb 25, 2010 New Hampshire

I never claimed that this was my conversation. I'm simply posting it here from another source.

pinkgrenade and RockAZ like this.
  18. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (920) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

No, sorry, Pat's attitude is the problem. If we all stopped buying his beer, he wouldn't all the sudden become Mr. Niceguy.

19. amsguitarist

amsguitarist Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2014 California

@PorterPatron Can you please clarify your obviously ridiculously biased 3.1 rating of Kiwi Herman on release day when you live in New Hampshire? Obviously there is some motive behind your calling out of the brewery and the low rating.

3SH33TS and JoeyStats707 like this.
  20. amsguitarist

I know Pat has a reputation for these kinds of things, but isn't it possible there were prior emails that were excluded that could have instigated this response? Obviously Pat doesn't care, but this could have been snipped out and taken out of context.

RMoeNay likes this.
  21. PG2G

PG2G Zealot (547) Dec 26, 2011 California
    Trader

Would much rather deal with fine print than have to stand in line 8 hours to purchase beer.

mr_monch and JoeyStats707 like this.
  22. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,842) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

In a "people" industry (personal relationships, community, etc) there is a lack of people skills all around. For every awesome story we hear of collaboration and assistance, we get something like this. It's worse when such lack of skills is directed towards customers.

pinkgrenade likes this.
  23. 1eyed_jack

Isn't the simpler solution usually the correct one.

Scenario A) Guy has a beef with Alpine, so he sends series of texts looking to get a rise out of Patrick, then he manipulates and photoshops the texts with the purpose of making Patrick look like a dick. Then he sends it out online to people who will post it to various places to spread the word.

Scenario B) Patrick is just a dick.

Immortale25, Chris_Panos and TheOneTC like this.
  24. 1eyed_jack

He probably wouldn't become a nice guy, but he'd probably at least start acting nicer for the sake of his bottom line.

25. PorterPatron

PorterPatron Initiate (124) Feb 25, 2010 New Hampshire

Nothing was removed. As far as that rating, for some reason it's been removed (maybe a staff member thought it was biased?), but I did believe it deserved a 3.1.

26. cultclassic89

It doesn't matter. Even if the customer in the email was throwing expletives at him, that's not how you handle the situation. I've dealt with plenty of irrational customers and if I would have said anything like this to them, regardless of their behavior, I'd be fired on the spot. It looks that much worse that the customer asked reasonable questions in a courteous manner and was given that kind of response.

27. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (558) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

This is not a craft beer problem, it's an asshole problem. I like the beers too much and will keep drinking them until Pat wrongs me personally or if it were to come out that he was a Klansman or something.

SoleBriety likes this.
  28. Justdoit1234

Justdoit1234 Crusader (711) Jan 24, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Unreal. Just unreal. I've had Nelson and Duet and they're nothing special,I won't be seeking out Kiwi Herman any longer. Fuck that guy.

Catchy_Name likes this.
  29. PGD120

PGD120 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 New Jersey

My job sort of deals with a lot of cuter relations so it bothers me quote a lot to see customers treated in such a manner. Like others have suggested, call the company, or even call green flash the parent company and file a complaint. If that doesn't go anywhere, eff em they aren't worth your money anyway

30. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (558) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

Several places do sales like this (Bruery and Alesmith) and it's fine. If you can't get to the place in the provided window, do not buy the beer so someone who is able to pick it up can. I actually like this method of sale since even though it's through the internet, it favors locals.

#150 chcfan, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    JoeyStats707 likes this.
  31. amsguitarist

I think there is a difference when you are the owner vs being an employee of the company. His comments are in bad taste, but obviously it's his choice to say those things and feel the consequences of his actions. He's probably become a bit jaded at what the craft beer scene has become, but honestly, the guy says what most people think in the back of their heads anyways.

32. amsguitarist

@PorterPatron they probably removed Your review because you were connected through an IP address that was nowhere near Alpine on the day of release? Is it even possible for the mods to verify that?

33. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,456) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

There is absolutely no excuse for being rude to a customer. Without customers the craft brewer returns to his or her roots and becomes a home brewer. It doesn't matter how good they are. If we wanted to be abused, we all would have stuck with Coors, Miller, Schlitz, PBR, etc

Benish likes this.
  34. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (920) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

NOPE! You obviously don't know who we're dealing with here. He wouldn't change. He'll never change (unless it's for the worse). People who do know about him expect him to be a dick and aren't surprised when he's a dick. With such low expectations, we're not as floored as others by something like this and therefor won't stop drinking his beer until something like this happens to us--and we all know that day may come because Pat's gonna be Pat.

35. amsguitarist

I heard a story about how a guy complained to Pat about a growler fill price increase, so Pat took the freshly filled growler and dumped it down the drain and told the guy to keep his money and leave.

Shroud0fdoom and beernazi like this.
  36. RockAZ

A few of you seem like you would not pay for the beer you dropped,... claiming "customer service",... I am just saying a sense of humor does go a long way in customer relations and sometimes when it goes too far it might offend some people. No great story starts off with eating a salad.

I suspect part of this "incident" is taken out of context and until I see something written by the parties involved will keep an open mind while chuckling over what I see is a rather rude but funny exchange on social media over a matter between people who had been 'probably' drinking.

[​IMG]

#156 RockAZ, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  37. Southerndiscomfort

Southerndiscomfort Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 North Carolina

I've never had issues in customer service from the brewery's I like. This guys a turd.

yemenmocha and kerry4porters like this.
  38. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Zealot (541) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

@RockAZ

39. 1eyed_jack

There's nothing funny about a "grown" man responding to an inquiry with "bwahahah". That's not a sense of humor that went too far, it's just a flat out dick move.

I cannot believe there are people that are actually trying to justify the guy's responses, or waiting for more info. Who are you to that brewery?

If this exchange was similar and between a guy and one of the managers for Budweiser, you would absolutely not give Budweiser any possible kind of excuse for what happened. But because it's OMG LimiTed eDitIon CraFT BEeR MADe WItH KiWI, some people are in this guys ass trying to justify being a dick.

I guess that's why he continues to be that way. Maybe he hooks up the people on here that find his behavior cute or something, because I can't think of any excuse for that.

40. steve50

steve50 Initiate (129) Dec 10, 2006 New Jersey

Very interesting and thought provoking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.