Does Leinenkugel's do anything well?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by defunksta, Sep 12, 2020.

1. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (6,568) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Society

I like their Summer Shandy and Grapefruit Shandy OK. Their Big Eddy Imperial Stout was decent enough too. At the Columbus Clippers games here they have (or at least used to) a little "Leinie's Lodge" stand where they would sell their beers at a reduced price up until a half hour or so until game time (I think maybe 3 or 4 bucks a pint). We knew that if we got in line at a certain time we'd get the beers at the cheaper price. So if you were in line by 6:30 or so you'd still get the beers at the lower price. For ballpark beers, getting a pint of their Oktoberfest, Summer Shandy or Canoe Paddler for $3 or $4 isn't a bad deal at all. Figure I'd get all the cheap brews I could before the game, and then pay a regular price for Columbus IPA afterwards once the Leinie's deal was over. But with that being said, I can't remember the last time I bought any of their brews other than at those games.

dcotom likes this.
  2. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,404) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

A better comparison for Yuengling (Traditional I assume) is Leinenkugel's Northwoods Lager. Both are amber and both are good for what they are. Leinenkugel Original = Yeungling Premium, which is not as well liked or known.

But Northwoods doesn't get as much attention as all their wheat and shandy beers, which suck IMO.

3. Danieljm

Danieljm Initiate (136) Apr 16, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

In the early 2000's my job took me to MN & WI. Spending more than a few nights of boredom in hotel bars, I tried Leine's Red. Took me to a world beyond Bud lite of which I have never looked back. Had a few times in recent years, although nostalgic, it is an average beer at best. However, I have a soft spot as my world opened up to whole new world of beer. Thanks Leine's!

4. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Zealot (532) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota

https://untappd.com/b/brewster-bros-brewing-co-bock/3826063
    here is a Leinenkugel's bock copy. Using one of Leinenkugel's old recipes. A Collaboration.
    I might have it?????? I bought a Crowler today...........Things are not adding up. Went to Chippewa falls today. went to both taprooms. Everybody tries to play dumb, don't know nothing about any bocks. Bock is spring beer not fall beer. I don't give up that easy........so ?????? I was told some stories but not sure if any of it is accurate

https://untappd.com/b/jacob-leinenkugel-brewing-company-toasted-bock/3905028

#124 cheeseheadinMinneapolis, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,569) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

You should'a knocked on the office door! :wink:

Did you show the taproom goofs the web page posted by their bosses?

6. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

7. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

I told them it was on the company website......I figure they are told to play dumb and say nothing, I have had this happen before at Leinenkugel's Taproom.
    I kept asking anybody that worked there and irritated them. Finally one brave man told me that a few distributors have samples for feed back, but they had no bottles of it at the tap room. It sounds like November 1 will not happen, it maybe later than that. But who knows for sure.
    Next I went Brewsters...........more stories and oh no's

#127 cheeseheadinMinneapolis, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    JMN44 and steveh like this.
  8. pudgym29

pudgym29 Initiate (162) Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

Ugh. This is one reason I do not frequently logon to Beer Advocate. There will be (at least) one thread where respondents have no clue of brewery histories, especially when concerned with brands that have been sold in the recent past. It is distressing because it then triggers me to provide the needed foundation for {agreement | contention} with the thrust of the argument. And then the realization that whatever I provide is not going to alter anybody else's perception or beliefs. {This would be where would I post the viral image of Star Trek TNG's Capt. Picard with his hand over his face, but I block animated gifs in Firefox, so I would not view it anyhow.}
    Everybody's mind is closed. And I am still on v.92 from the abode. :persevere:
    I have memory of buying returnable cases of 12-oz bottles of Fox Deluxe (from Cold Spring Brwg. [MN] ~ still brewing), 12-oz bottles of August Schell's Deer Brand, and 12-oz bottles of Leinenkugel's {Original} - as well as its parallel case of 7-oz. bottles in the mid-to-late 1980s.
    Leinenkugel's might not be considered a "micro" or "craft" brewer, but in 1987, it released a special beer to commemorate its 125th Anniversary. :beers:
    It was a craft beer. That nobody expected. I suspect it was brewed & released in reaction to Eau Claire All Malt beer eminating from the refurbished Walter Brewery in Eau Claire, one town over from Chippewa Falls.
    But I bought two 12-packs of it [In sturdy 12-packs of non-returnable bottles]. One of the 12-pack cases is downstairs in the basement. I will go down there tomorrow and take a photo of it. That is why there are no pictures accompanying this response. {Do you understand why I do not logon here frequently?}
    Leinie's Red was a definite upgrade for the brewery. Then, when Miller began brewing the 'Big Eddy' craft{y} beers at the V. Blatz plant in Milwaukee, the Russian Imperial Stout was solid.
    {Has anybody referred in the Miller packaging | dating codes? The Leinie's packaged in Milwaukee has a different code from Chippewa Falls.}
    Anyhow, so I do not get logged off B A before posting this response, I bought the Leinie's Octoberfest beer, as well as the Original, when it turned up at a Jewel-Osco store on special for $12.99 | 12-pack, 12-oz. bottles, when I was primarily there for $2.99 | 12-pack, 12-oz. {soda | pop} cans. (Yes, I was driving that day.)
    From Raime's post, the Snowdrift Porter is a superb beer. I will buy it every year it comes out. One of my favorite 4 AM bars (Pippin's, 804 N. Rush St., R.I.P.) had it on draft, at which you could have espied me sipping at 1:57 AM while browsing B A on its wifi network.
    If you dig into metropolitan Chicago beer distributors' World-Wide Web pages, the ones which handle Leinie's [Burke Beverage - Chicago collar west suburbs] still list the 'Big Eddy' brands. But an inquiry will discern it has not handled those beers for years.
    Look for another post in this thread when I upload the photographs. I lost one image host recently, and am testing others.

9. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,071) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I remember their dopplebock. For the price and ABV it was pretty good. You simply can not and should not compare it to Salvator but if you take it for what it is, not for what it isn’t ir could be it is a good beer.

10. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

The new bock will use Cluster hops and Oat flakes. Smooth rich creamy with a lighter body. it will not be a sweet bomb. toasty roasty, dark fruit, dry chocolate, caramel, wood, roasted nuts
    That's my story and I am sticking to it

#130 cheeseheadinMinneapolis, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Urk1127 likes this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,513) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, and the Leinenkugel TTB COLA's are, like many MC brands, approved for use in several and sometimes all of Molson Coors' US main breweries, as listed below (as well as City's Memphis brewery, "Blues City"). Not sure if they all do brew them, but they could. The coding currently looks like this:
    [​IMG]

12. pudgym29

Thank you, jesskidden. :slight_smile:
    The '21' production plant code is the former V. Blatz brewery in central Milwaukee. This is where the Leinenkugel's "Big Eddy" brands were brewed. (As you have probably figured out, '01' is in 'Miller Valley'.)
    Here are the photographs I pledged to display Monday.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    When I organized the Annual Beer Tasting at the United Soccer Boosters' Convention (1989-2003), I never invited Coors, Miller, or Anheuser-Busch. But I contemplated that Leinie's was an autonomous brewery within Miller (Consider this the U.S. equivalent of Hong Kong | China.). So they were always invited. But they never said "yes".:disappointed I did much better with Pabst. :grinning:
    The second photo is a portion of the Jewel receipt from a store which I was primarily shopping for 12-packs of 12-oz. soda cans for $2.99. I had to take advantage of the brands which I did not expect it to stock. (I thought the $12.99 12-pack would result in only its Shandy compilations. I had actually already bought the Oktoberfest 12-packs at the previous Jewel. Between Jewel and Tony's Fresh Market, I bought 24 12-packs of 12-oz. soda cans. If you're interested in what other sodas I bought, check this thread on the LTH Forum.)
    The third photo is the sturdy case which held 12-oz. non-returnable bottles of Leinie's 125th Anniversary Beer, a dark lager.
    Of all the cases of returnable bottles which were (| are) held in the basement here at the abode, the case of 7-oz. Leinie bottles is the only one which was requested and transferred to a homebrewer (who wanted to put his barleywine in them). :yum:

13. jesskidden

Society Trader

So, what's the deal there? Wouldn't the brewery's 125 year have been 1992? They still claim 1867 as the founding year of the company. "In May 1867, the Leinenkugel family brewery was founded in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin by Jacob Leinenkugel."

Although, it wouldn't be unusual to come out early with such a beer at the time. When F X Matt created the Saranac brand, the first beer (now called Saranac Lager after some recipe tweaking along the way IIRC) was called Saranac 1888* All Malt Lager was released in 1985.
    * The year of their founding.

14. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (3,072) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Comerica Park has had a Leinie bar for a long time by the ferris wheel with different mixes on the menu (I imagine they do it in a few places Leinie sponsors). Surprised it took them this long to come out with a mix-your-own pack.

officerbill likes this.
  15. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (148) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

As you were alluding to, he's got his years wrong. Leinie's didn't produce the beer until 1992.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Leinie+celebrates+125+years+with+a+special+dark+lager.-a013635658

EDIT: While this is a review for Leinie's Autumn Gold, it discusses the 125 year lager as being available only in 1992.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/9207/

#135 grantcty, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    pudgym29 and jesskidden like this.
  16. 1009

1009 Zealot (523) Jan 20, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

The Summer Shandy is delicious. But maybe too mainstream for some folks.

FBarber likes this.
  17. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,196) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Summer down, now.
    [​IMG]

BigIronH, FBarber, 1009 and 2 others like this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

They meet their customers needs and wants. Me being me if I could be the owner of any single beer and rake in the cash I’d want to be sole proprietor of Bud Light. I could have retired in luxury many years ago, it’s a crap beer even by light lager standards but it sells like crazy. There’s a lot of brewers who might wish they had such a beer in their stable, then they could comfortably brew whatever else they might fancy.

19. defunksta

defunksta Poo-Bah (1,813) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

I tried the Oktoberfest again today and it is just plain bad. Devoid of flavor or really anything. I don't know, but the redeeming qualities of this brewery are few and far between.

20. steveh

Society

Well, I guess it's a good thing they didn't pass that law mandating you have to start every evening with a Leinenkugel or nothing at all.

:rolling_eyes:

FBarber and defunksta like this.
  21. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,297) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Maybe if their cans of summer shandy exploded randomly they would be more popular.

22. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,109) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Leinenkugels does at least one thing well, dissapoint @defunksta

23. imtroy703

imtroy703 Devotee (421) Nov 13, 2009 Virginia
    Society Trader

I am still a sucker for Summer Shandy when it is 100% ass crack humid and hot. I even like it with ice

24. steveh

Society

FWIW -- found this new one today. Saw 12 & 6 packs.

It's definitely not a German Bock, more old-fashioned American style some of us remember.

And it's a classic case of construing "toasted" & "roasted." It's roasty with a touch of caramel and sweetness that may cause hopheads to scream cloying!

But I actually liked it. It's got more of a Porter vibe than Bock, but that doesn't make it any less drinkable.

25. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,996) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Got Midwesterners tipsy. I’ll bet they do that well.

26. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

I haven't had the new bock yet. can't wait to try it. How far off was I in my above post? full review please.
    This supposed to be a fall bock. to be consumed with food, or consumed in massive quantity.

27. steveh

Society

I'll do a review soon, but from 2 bottles I can say it's certainly roasty and smooth (almost syrupy), nutty with a touch of caramel and an underlying sweetness -- but not soda pop sweet.

Didn't get any dark fruit or chocolate, but I'll focus when I do a review.

It's only 5.1 ABV, so it goes down easy. I honestly like it better than many of the past Leinie's offerings I've tried.

FWIW -- $9.30 a sixer and I think the 12-pack was $13 -- little pricey for the likes of Leinie's.

28. grantcty

Trader

I happened to come across this while in Wisconsin this last weekend. I agree with your general sentiments. It's a nice beer for what it is. Depending on the number of other 'dark' bocks that may or may not appear seasonally, I may buy another six pack.

Regarding pricing: I picked it up at Woodman's, where the pricing was 7.29 a six pack. They had a deal going where if you bought 2 six packs you automatically got four bucks off. That was an easy decision--I hadn't had Northwoods lager in some time and I like that beer, so it was a no brainer. I can't complain about 5.29 six packs! :slight_smile:

29. steveh

Society

FWIW to youse.

30. steveh

Society

How was the Northwoods? I haven't had that in forever.

31. grantcty

Trader

I hadn't had it in a long time either. It was a touch sweeter than I remembered, but still the fuller-bodied AAL that it's been.

32. steveh

Society

Anyone read the "background" Leinie's gives for the Toasted Bock? Someone should tell them Einbeck is not in Southern Germany. :wink:

@jakeleinenkugel

FBarber likes this.
  33. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,297) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I mean its south of Hamburg?

steveh likes this.
  34. steveh

Society

So is Berlin, but don't EVER tell Berliners they're in Southern Germany! :grin:

35. pudgym29

Somebody at MolsonCoors, err Miller, some packaging brewery handling Leinenkugel's has changed the packaging code from this. On the secondary packaging of the two 12-packs of Leinie's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter obtained at Binny's Lincolnwood Monday is this code:
    FEB082142
    C5000010349

Production Site 50!?:disappointed Where is that? :confounded:
    What does the '42' after the date signify? It is not the Julian date for 8 February (that would be '39'). The production line?
    Can somebody authoritative please provide the authentic answer?

36. BJC

BJC Initiate (192) Nov 9, 2002 New Jersey

Recently had a six-pack of Toasted Bock. Rather enjoyed it

HammsMeASAP, FBarber and scootercrabb like this.
  37. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (151) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

It gets cold outside:sunglasses:

Snowdrift hits the spot on a nice cold, snowy day.

Bought a single of the Toasted Bock, sounds tasty.

38. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (65) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

I just purchased a 12-pack of Leinenkugel's Original and the packaging has the same new design packaging codes as you noted, which obviously doesn't match the Molson Coors website. Perhaps Molson Coors renumbered their breweries after closing/selling a few of them?

39. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,629) Jan 18, 2003 Wisconsin
    Society

I bought a 6 pack of the toasted bock. Good but not great. Like roasted quality, just wish the mouth was bit thicker. I will have no problem polishing off the remaining beers.

steveh likes this.
  40. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, a call to their toll free number* reveals that they've changed the brewery codes to a 4 digit number, with 5000=Chippera Falls. (I suspect a new pdf is in the works).

Some of the others:

Golden - 1000
    Milw. - 1010
    Trenton - 1020
    Ft Worth - 1030
    Shen. - 1040

Somebody else can call for the others - I don't even drink MC products. :grin:

*I got through pretty easy to a "real person" but if you're hoping for others kinds of help this holiday season - forget it. They have no idea how to cook a Butterball Turkey!:grimacing:

pudgym29, bmugan and muck1979 like this.