Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA (2013 vintage)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mbennett, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Yeah, but we are talking 500 calories for one 12oz beer. I'd just rather put those calories into more beer even though I do enjoy 120 minute.

2. BEEER

BEEER Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Ohio

18% is like 4 beers! I'd rather drink one 120 minute than 4 diet lagers.

PumaSaysRawrr likes this.
  3. BEEER

BEEER Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Ohio

Yea, Ohio. Just need a real reason to go there though cause gas & tolls would double the price- that is i if I was lucky enough to even find 4 bottles.

4. PumaSaysRawrr

PumaSaysRawrr Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

If I find a place that has a bunch I'll give ya a heads up...but I doubt I will.

BEEER likes this.
  5. Dope

Dope Poo-Bah (2,329) Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts

*nod* Whatever works. Honestly for me it depends, sometimes I just want to drink a small quantity of a big brew and sip on it. 120min is one of those beers that are perfect for that. Same with WWS or Mephistopheles, etc.

Dope

6. TheBeerTruck

TheBeerTruck Aspirant (203) Feb 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I'm 100% with you. I've had this beer many, many times and until IPA, I had never had it fresh. The only I drank a week ago was bottle on July 2, 2013 and DAMN! was it fantastic!!! I almost opened one from last year right after to see how different it is. I also think the reasoning behind dropping the abv. from 20% to 18% was a great idea.

7. TheGator321

TheGator321 Aspirant (239) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

I keep thinking : how does he know I'm a dope? lol.

PsilohsaiBiN, Dope and jesskidden like this.
  8. nineball

nineball Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 New York

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    well I went back and grabbed two more.
    opened one of my three about 10 minutes ago. I posted in "what beer are you drinking now" but I can sum this one up in 2 (or 4) words...
    holy $hit!!!!!! mind blowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TongoRad likes this.
  9. Mbennett

Mbennett Aspirant (270) Jun 16, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Mine was dated 7/2/13. I have one more bottle that I would love to hold on to, but I just don't see how its going to get any better than it is now.

To all the people making comparisons of this beer to triple sec and grand marnier...please take it somewhere else. I have no problem if you don't like the beer but your really not adding anything productive to the convo.

10. PumaSaysRawrr

PumaSaysRawrr Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

It's called buy stretchy pants....

FriarTuckInLuck and LuisQ like this.
  11. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,377) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I think it drinks like a whiskey or a liquor too. I had it for the first time this year and would love to see an older bottle. I bet it ages really well.

12. RaggaD

RaggaD Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2013 Florida

Trying it on Sunday so will post a review then

13. RaggaD

RaggaD Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2013 Florida

OK so my local whole foods just tapped a keg of 120 and it was fantastic. Very sweet, but it hides the alcohol very well and was super drinkable. Even my wife liked it which is pretty unheard of. Haven't had it in a bottle but it definitely wasn't a mess!

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  14. luwak

luwak Aspirant (269) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona
    Beer Trader

we pay $40 - $60 in AZ

15. MikeT77

MikeT77 Aspirant (207) Jul 2, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

This was 2010; they didn't put out any 120 in 2010 because they had to dump that batch, which cost them lots of $$ due to the high ingredient cost to make 120. They decided to tweak 120 and dial in the recipe, so instead of brewing huge production batches, they brewed small batches of draft only at the brewpub to get it down again. The first bottling of 120 since 2009 came in July 2011. That was a sight for sore eyes and it was VERY hard to come by. Luckily I was able to snag 6 bottles. I agree - the 7/2013 batch, fresh out of the bottle, blew away the last few years of 120 by far.

16. ao125

ao125 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 Virginia

I haven't bought 120min in a while, as I'm still going through 2009 and 2011 bottles that I have tucked away.
    That said, I heard that they're dropping the ABV on newer releases to make them more drinkable. Is there any truth to that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.