Dogfish Head Craft Brewery Launches Hazy-O!; The First Nationally Distributed Oat Milk-Centric Hazy

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,268) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Milton, Del., Monday, February 1, 2021 – Folks from coast to coast are in for an “ooooh-so” tasty treat! Dogfish Head Craft Brewery’s NEW hazy IPA, Hazy-O!, is NOW available on shelves and taps nationwide. An ooooh-so-juicy hazy IPA, Hazy-O! is brewed with four types of oats – malted oats, rolled oats, naked oats and oat milk – for a hop-forward beer that is smooth and refreshing. Hazy-O! begins with (literally) truckloads of oats and wheat to create a sumptuous, full-bodied base. Then, it is liberally dry-hopped with hop varieties that deliver an abundance of tropical notes, including citrus, mango and pineapple. Available in 6pk/12oz cans, beer lovers can track down a case of Hazy-O! using Dogfish Head’s Fish Finder.

“While Hazy-O! features a bunch of high-quality culinary ingredients, it’s the oats that are really the star of the show,” said Sam Calagione, Dogfish Head Founder & Brewer. “Each of the oat formats used in Hazy-O! provides a unique characteristic to the beer. The malted oats offer a delicate malty sweetness; the rolled oats contribute a dense haze; the naked oats provide a subtle toasty, caramel character; and the piece de resistance, oat milk, creates a silky soft mouthfeel that makes Hazy-O! drink like a 5% ABV session sipper, instead of the 7.1% ABV powerhouse that it is. This foundation-of-four oat formats creates a target, allowing the beer’s bright and juicy hops to hit the flavorful bullseye.”

Born from a series of off-centered experiments, Hazy-O! highlights the magic found at the intersection of two unique, but unexpectedly complementary trends – the simultaneous, explosive growth of hazy IPAs and plant-based milks. The hazy IPA is THE fastest growing beer style in America, trending up nearly +80%*, and the growth of oat milk is even more astonishing, skyrocketing +220% in 2020.** “Oat milk is really having a zeitgeist moment, especially in the active lifestyle community” said Calagione. “At Dogfish, we are proponents of leading active lifestyles that include both exercise and indulgence, and we are committed to crafting beers that fit that worldview. With Hazy-O!, we were able to create a true hazy IPA that can appeal to many different audiences – craft beer geeks, wellness-conscience consumers AND drinkers seeking both lactose-free and vegan options. Thank you, oat milk!”

The first-ever nationally distributed oat milk-centric IPA, Hazy-O! took almost a year of R&D to perfect. In fact, to ensure they harnessed all the goodness of oat milk in Hazy-O!, Dogfish Head enlisted the help of oat milk scientists from Elmhurst 1925, a family-owned, plant-based milk producer out of New York. Using Elmhurst’s culinary prowess and itsUnsweetened Milked Oats, made with only three simple ingredients – oats, water and a bit of salt, Dogfish Head finalized the recipe for Hazy-O!, and “ooooh,” it is delicious!

www.dogfish.com

*IRI Total US MULO+C, Latest 13 Weeks Ending 10/25/20.
    **SPINS data from the 52 Week Sales Period Ending 12/27/20.

###

On BA: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/519144/

2. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (501) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Enough with the gimmicks. Just make good beer. That’s all I ask.

3. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (188) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Trader

4. Todd

Bitterbill, thuey and bret27 like this.
  5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,143) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Where ya been? "Good Beer" ? That !@#$ don't sell no more. You need strange ingredients, constant newly released brands and wacky labels

(OK - "check" - in the case of DFH for the latter).

[​IMG]
    Is this real?

AMessenger, o29, Bitterbill and 4 others like this.
  6. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (501) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Huge fan of DFH 90 Minute. Especially in 4 packs of 16 oz cans for < $10 at the brewery in Rehoboth. Not liking the new label though.

o29, GOBLIN, Bitterbill and 4 others like this.
  7. sjverla

sjverla Disciple (396) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

But it was always a gimmick. 60 and 90 minute constant hop additions. That’s a gimmick. It might have sprung from earnest curiosity on Sam’s part way back when, but it’s a gimmick.

In general DFH does a gimmick with everything but also tends to make good-to-great beer in the process.

Every beer they brew has some sort of hook adjacent to the beer itself. Whether is lo-cal, brewed with spruce tips, Miles Davis, or 18%, two “strands” (one of my all time favorites btw), or hop additions every minute for an hour and a half, they’ve always got a gag.

8. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (330) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yeah I saw this new label the other day and didn't quite know what to think. I also noticed that at least 60 Minute no longer has the bottled on date and has moved to a best buy date on the bottle. I'll take a closer look next time to see what's up.

o29 and Bitterbill like this.
  9. bret27

bret27 Meyvn (1,468) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Lol, ya let’s break this down....
    Some kind of pig and/or Easter Island mask... on a clock?
    Nails coming out of its nose...and it’s head.
    And a black eye...
    Broken out teeth...
    Weird is the nicest thing I can think of.

AlcahueteJ, o29, Bitterbill and 8 others like this.
  10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,872) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

But doesn't Sam want you to think "off-center"!?! :confused:

Cheers!

11. bret27

bret27 Meyvn (1,468) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

You’re probably right. These are the vibes it gives me though...
    [​IMG]

12. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, he does look dashing in that hat. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

GetMeAnIPA, o29, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (7,996) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Well, the Parents in Boston likely approved this horseshit.

Are brewers trying to make us drink more bourbon? Cuz this silliness makes me want to drink more bourbon.

billandsuz, GetMeAnIPA, o29 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,391) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

[​IMG]

90 minute man...the superhero we need?

15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,513) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Bottles? All I see are cans.

o29 likes this.
  16. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,846) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

I’m fine with this. They make solid ipa. And lactose in anything makes me rip my intestines but oat milk is cool and tastes different

GetMeAnIPA, KRug and o29 like this.
  17. o29

o29 Initiate (77) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Trader

The new 90 Minute DFH label reminds me of a far worse version of their recent 75 Minute IPA label, which I actually enjoyed. This one was from artist Stan Stiles.

[​IMG]

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  18. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (2,208) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

Yeah, I’ll be passing on this. To me that just sounds nasty, not appealing in the least.

19. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (331) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

curious does the oat milk work like lactose? it doesn't mention anything overly sweet in the description or reviews but I'm worried about it being lactose sweet.

20. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (14) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

I noticed that on a tall boy (whatever they call them) can I got the other day, had a Best By date of June XX 2021. Not sure how far out they are dating the Best By dates but seems like at least 5 months. Step in the wrong direction for DFH.

AlcahueteJ and ESHBG like this.
  21. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,143) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

But it is same as that used by DFH's owner, the Boston Beer Co.

EDIT: Looks like they updated their FAQ to reflect the change (but it's kinda vague)
    There's also this:
    Wasn't Caligione one of the brewers featured in that cringy "I don't put corn in my beer" video a few years ago?

#21 jesskidden, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  22. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (653) Mar 28, 2009 California

My experience with oat milk as an alternative to milk in other drinks non beer related is it is thicker/smoother and sweeter with oat flavor that really comes through, even has some toasty notes. But I would expect it to be less sweet than lactose because that’s basically milk sugar.

#22 GetMeAnIPA, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  23. joerooster2

Do they not want this beer to sell? Seems it would have been better not to disclose the use of oats/oat milk. I won't be buying any and I'm a big DFH fan.

Mother Earth (NC) had a beer called 'Oatmeal IPA' but changed the name to 'Long Weekend IPA' and the label does not mention oats/oatmeal but they are the same beer. I would guess they changed the name as people are turned off by 'Oatmeal'.

24. Todd

I've had Hazy-O! six times now from two different R&D batches, and 2,750 BAs will be tasting it with Sam and I tomorrow during Extreme Beer Fest: Cyberspace. If you like NEIPAs, you're probably going to like this beer too. It's fruity (but not at all overly sweet), balanced, and incredibly soft and smooth.

And, it already has a BA Score of 90. And, there are countless NEIPA variations that are far more weirder than this one. Just saying.

Looking forward to tasting this new batch tomorrow!

25. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (454) Sep 1, 2004 New York

Only 4 varieties of oats? Is Sam getting lazy?

I'm getting older. Brewers are not chasing my demographic (though I am helping to make plenty of boat payments). I don't follow trends. I am content to buy from a dozen locals I know personally. New beer is just as often annoying as it is exciting. I know, I know. OK I get it. I might even try this one. I like Sam C. I like DFH.

But even by DFH standards this looks like grasping to me. It is a bit embarrassing to be honest. It is not a winning strategy. This is chasing trends, not setting standards. This is do anything to keep the lights on, not make great beer and they will follow.

That is just one guys two cents.

Cheers

jasonmason likes this.
  26. KRug

KRug Savant (905) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Agreed Todd, this isn’t super out of the ordinary. Oats are frequently utilized in brewing, this just takes it a step further. A lot of negativity in this thread for a beer that many haven’t tried yet. I’m looking forward to try it myself tomorrow

ESHBG and Todd like this.
  27. Todd

Yeah. All of the pushback on oats as if Dogfish Head was the first brewery to use oats in an NEIPA (or even simply a beer) is kind of funny. Using oats is not uncommon. And this is simply Dogfish Head doing what it’s been doing since day one.

28. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (454) Sep 1, 2004 New York

A matter of opinion. This is not a vendetta against oats. Not at all.

Oats are used, have been used for centuries, but not what anyone might call frequently. It is true that oats are not a novel ingredient. It is pretty much flaked oats. And NEIPAs while currently very popular in our world are in fact a novel beer style. Even still, look at the top 250 beers right here, and what percentage have oats?

From the marketing of this beer then, maybe DFH shouldn't be hyping the beer as something extraordinary because they are using oats? But they are, so your observation misses the point.

Is this an extraordinary beer because it has oats? Or are oats a standard brewing ingredient not worth much hype? Can't be both.

Cheers

#28 billandsuz, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  29. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,683) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Does tree house use oats in their neipas? If so then its probably.pretty high (at least for the ipas on the list). Also, anyone have a sense of how often oats are used in big.stouts?

KRug likes this.
  30. KRug

Society Trader

A few of them do, but I don't think all do. There also seems to be a few big stouts that I run into that mention the use of oats, which I find usually adds a nice richness to the beer

31. KRug

Society Trader

I think it's more or less the use of oat milk and the number of oat varieties that they're using to hype the beer. Regardless, I don't really care how they market it. If it's good, it's good

32. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (383) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

IHMO everyone has missed half the story... as you can see from the description they talk about “plant based milks”, and their rise in popularity... this is very purposeful in it’s marketing to speak to people that drink oat, soy, almond, coconut milk regularly instead of dairy and I find it rather interesting.

Brewers have been using Oat Milk in Hazy IPA for what 4 yeast now. I don’t think anyone has made anything other than a one off but those breweries also don’t have the capabilities of DFH. Treehouse only uses Oats in a few beers... None of the core beers they’re known for use Oats.

No one commenting in this thread is their target consumer for this product clearly. Go back to arguing over the price of a six pack of Sierra Nevada’s latest release in your local market.

I have no desire to try it but I’m fascinated by the marketing and I bet it’s decent beer for what it is.

JayORear, HoppyT, RobertB412 and 2 others like this.
  33. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,659) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Is that a good score for New England IPAs on this site though?

That puts it at 2,088th on the New England list out of 17,250, so it definitely beats out quite a few of them.

If we compare it to another large national brewer, Sierra Nevada, it’s pretty good. Especially considering this is a best seller for them.

Sierra Nevada’s Hazy Little Thing is 2,323 on the New England IPA list.

But compared to say, 90 minute, it’s not as good. That is 95th out of 19,150 Imperial IPAs (different style on this site).

Of course 90 minute has many many more reviews.

I like Sam, and I like oat milk. No judgement until I try it.

Do you mean Dan Stiles? Or are you talking about the 90 minute label?

o29 and billandsuz like this.
  34. o29

o29 Initiate (77) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Trader

Yes, Dan Stiles, sorry! Not sure how I made that typo...

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  35. joerooster2

DFH is now a trend chaser like SN, NB and a lot of the other big craft breweries. Fruited kettle sours, hazies, low cal/session IPAs and a portfolio composed of 50%+ IPAs.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Society

I was surprised to read this so I went to the DFH website and you are indeed correct here.

I suppose a case of follow the money!?!

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. Todd

Most American brewers chase trends these days, but Dogfish Head still remains one of the top innovators within the industry. Brewers can chase and innovate at the same time.

KRug likes this.
  38. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,659) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Any idea if Sam is going to add some lagers to the line up this year?

I recall people really digging their Piercing Pils but I don’t recall getting the chance to try it.

39. Todd

I'll ask! Loved Piercing Pils.

40. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,846) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

Campfire Amplifier was a great recipe idea. I could not drink it due to lactose ills get very sick but I’m sad I missed out. This is up my alley though

KRug likes this.