Dogfish Head debuts Wake Up World Wide Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,698) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Don’t Snooze that Alarm! Dogfish Head Debuts Wake Up World Wide Stout

New iteration of fan-favorite beer features regeneratively grown grains and organic coffee beans from Rise Up Coffee Roasters

MILTON, DEL. (SEPT. 9, 2022) – Dogfish Head Craft Brewery’s World Wide Stout, a rich, roasty and highly sought-after imperial stout, is back with a “Wake Up” call! This new, breakfast-themed iteration of the brewery’s fan-favorite beer, lovingly dubbed Wake Up World Wide Stout, is brewed with regeneratively grown malts from Epiphany Malting, organic maple syrup from New Leaf Tree Syrups, oat milk from Elmhurst and organic coffee beans from Rise Up Coffee Roasters. Clocking in at 15-17% ABV, Wake Up World Wide Stout hits shelves from coast-to-coast in 4pk/12oz bottles beginning in Mid-September.

[​IMG]

Robust, sweet and warming, Wake Up World Wide Stout is a jet-black beer with deliciously balanced notes of espresso, sweet maple, roasted cacao and smoked honey for an “out-of-this-world” flavor profile. To complement its otherworldly taste, Wake Up World Wide Stout boasts outer space-themed packaging with a 4pk bottle carrier that – spoiler alert – glows in the dark! Black and neon yellow, the beer’s label and packaging artwork were designed to match its neon yellow bottle cap, which indicates that it is part of Dogfish Head’s “Caution Cap” series. Dogfish Head’s “Caution Cap” series features beers with an ABV of 10% or higher, meaning they are prime candidates for placing in the cellar to age.

“World Wide Stout has always been one of my favorites, but this new iteration holds a special place in my heart,” said Sam Calagione, Dogfish Head Founder & Brewer. “Wake Up World Wide Stout not only offers a unique and intense drinking experience being brewed and bottled with coffee, but through its use of organic and regeneratively grown ingredients, it shines a light on the importance of sustainable farming practices. The first stout we ever brewed at Dogfish nearly three decades ago, Chicory Stout, was brewed with organic ingredients, and Wake Up World Wide Stout allowed us to amplify that legacy; from thoughtfully selecting and combining ingredients in ways that bring forward rich and intense flavors and aromas right down to the off-centered packaging design, this release delivers globally and locally … the stout heard round the world!”

To celebrate the launch of Wake Up World Wide Stout, Dogfish Head will host “Wake Up & Rise Up,” a beer and yoga event in collaboration with Rise Up Coffee Roasters, on Sunday, September 11. Beginning at 10:45 a.m., folks will kick off the morning with a 45-minute guided yoga flow led by Dana Fields, owner of Meta Yoga. Afterwards, attendees will enjoy a special tasting of three Rise Up coffees and of course, a glass of Wake Up World Wide Stout. Tickets are just $25 each, but spots are limited. Ticket price includes the yoga class, coffee tasting, glass of Wake Up World Wide Stout and a 12oz bag of Rise Up’s Finca Terrerito coffee to take home. No prior yoga experience needed – just bring a mat and an open mind!

For more on Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, please visit www.dogfish.com. To track down a bottle of Wake Up World Wide Stout, check out the brewery’s Fish Finder.

###

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/620482/

2. Metnut

Metnut Aspirant (292) Dec 18, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

This sounds delicious.

Does anyone have a general idea how much caffeine is in these types of beers? I tend to drink in the evenings and would be worried about drinking something like this too close to bed if it had a significant amount of caffeine.

lateralusbeer and Whyteboar like this.
  3. Providence

Providence Champion (822) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Absolutely love a good coffee stout, but with an ABV like that I won't go near it. I don't want to sip beer.

Glad to see DFH still putting out cool stuff, they were an early influencer of my tastes, as I am sure they were for many others.

4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,374) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

No idea on the caffeine content, but if you are sensitive to caffeine I wouldn't drink a coffee beer in the evening.

Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, beergoot and 3 others like this.
  5. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,393) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Hope to find this in the next virtual beer fest box.

I'm confused by the oatmilk's purpose in the beer outside of sounding breakfasty. Is this essentially just he equivalent of putting flaked oats in the beer to lighten the body or added sugars for fermentation? I'm curious from a brewing perspective because I haven't heard of oat milk being used before for brewing and it doesn't seem like it has that much flavor to contribute in the brewing process.

Whyteboar, dcotom and Gkruszewski like this.
  6. Sam_Kurk

Sam_Kurk Initiate (106) Jan 20, 2022
    Society

They have used oat milk similar to regular milk a few times- helps with mouth feel and sometimes you get some creaminess out of it (their Hazy O IPA comes to mind.)

7. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,811) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Anyone know how DFH gets away with the ranges for the ABV on their high alcohol beers? I don't think I can think of any other beers that don't state the ABV on the label. I would think TTB would require it.

@jesskidden has probably chimed in on this before.

Whyteboar likes this.
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It is not required (note "MAY"):
    And, "15-17%" would not be allowed.
    But, really the Boston Beer Co. can't afford a lab to test for actual alcohol content?

9. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,875) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

DFH has different labels within the ABV range (see below). Guessing it might have to do with some states having an ABV limit in place? I recall GI has done similarly for BCBS in the past anyway.

Interestingly, the label mentions Cinnamon as an ingredient but no mention of it in the press release above.

[​IMG]

10. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,811) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Thanks. Seems kinda odd its not required by the TTB considering beer can range from 2% to 20% abv, someone (very naive) could drink a couple of these thinking they are a normal 5% abv beer and end up pretty unexpectedly drunk.

I assume the reason is due to batch variation and they don't want to change labels?

crazyspicychef and Roguer like this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, well, as much as people complain about the US Federal TTB regulations, they haven't kept up with the modern beer scene. Prior to the mid-1990s, the old rule, changed after a Coors' SCOTUS lawsuit, was:
    Of course, at the time the original rule was written in the immediate post-Repeal period, both brewers and regulators did not want a "Beer ABV Arms Race" and very few US beers were even close to or over 8% into the 1980s.

Whyteboar and Roguer like this.
  12. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,669) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Sounds good and I look forward to trying it. I do wish coffee was the only extra added though.

13. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,533) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Rise Up coffee shops are big on the Eastern shore of Md and Deleware. They have already been marketed in Evolution Brewings “Rise Up Stout” which is a solid beer. Glad to see a small business really taking off and getting exposure on a big scale thru DFH & BBC

14. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,307) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I reckon...$40 for a 4pack, eh?

15. Todd

Todd Founder (6,698) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Yeah. I heard from DFH this morning that retail is going to be $39.99.

DoctorZombies, DCH, Whyteboar and 8 others like this.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,307) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

And if I see it, I know I will buy it.

17. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Crusader (700) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

If it sees distro, would buy. That or plain Jane WWS would be fine

DCH, bubseymour, DrOfGolf and 2 others like this.
  18. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,861) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

It’s going out everywhere from what I read. I’ll definitely be buying a single. Love WWS and its variants.

dewski312 likes this.
  19. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,369) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

Just couldn't leave a good thing alone, could you?

crazyspicychef and beergoot like this.
  20. DIM

Society Trader

I get where you're coming from, but I'm guessing sales of straight up wws were on the decline. I know it had been a long time since I bought any.

21. DrStiffington

Society

It’s a variant. Like vanilla and Bourbon barrel aged.

Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, micada and 4 others like this.
  22. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,054) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Ouch! I'm in.

micada, Bitterbill, Rug and 1 other person like this.
  23. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,369) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

and those, because they just couldn't leave a good thing alone, could they?

24. DrStiffington

Society

OK but I mean it’s not as if they stopped making the regular one, did they?

BigIronH, skelliott, Roguer and 2 others like this.
  25. DIM

Society Trader

I haven't seen it in years.

Bitterbill likes this.
  26. DrStiffington

Society

There’s plenty sitting in stores by me in NJ. Don’t know how old but it ages well!

27. DrStiffington

Society

I’ll agree, if this in place of the original, not the best idea

Whyteboar likes this.
  28. LiquidAmber

LiquidAmber Poo-Bah (8,710) Feb 20, 2009 Washington
    Society

I have had no luck finding quantitative answers to the caffeine levels in these. I also drink my beer in the evening and am sensitive to caffeine. Unfortunately, I love coffee and the taste of coffee in stouts, so despite swearing off all coffee stouts many times, I still try new ones from breweries I trust. My experience is that the caffeine effect is all over the map with these. Some will leave me jittery from the moment I go to sleep and throughout the night. Others, it is completely undetectable. The Big Bad Baptists from Epic, in particular have a robust coffee flavor, but little or no effect on sleep for me. The most effect seems to be the ones that note "coffee added", which may be at a later or final stage in the brewing process. I try to drink my coffee stouts early in the evening and take my chances.

29. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (2,123) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Hell yeah, count me in!

30. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (359) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hoping with the maple syrup and the oatmilk, it's not too sweet. This one was always a sweet sipper due to the booze. I'll try one if I can find a single

Whyteboar, Rug, Jaycase and 2 others like this.
  31. micada

micada Meyvn (1,391) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

You can chug it. You might not get many in, but you “can”…

32. micada

Society Trader

Bye them. Cellar. Drink at 10 year mark. Thank me later.

33. micada

Society Trader

The maple should morph like mad over time.

Resistance88 and Whyteboar like this.
  34. micada

Society Trader

Ooooh cinnamon? That could be a serious deal breaker. I hate cinnamon in stouts.

35. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,875) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Yeah, I'm thinking DFH scrapped the cinnamon possibly. No mention of it in OP or any of the recent release details. So you should be good then.

36. DrStiffington

Society

I buy singles of WWS every so often and drink a few, drink one when I want just one big beer or want to split a big beer in front of the fire pit.

micada likes this.
  37. micada

Society Trader

Put two away in a far away corner. 10 years. Trust me. :grin:

38. DrStiffington

Society

5 years is the oldest I’ve had (I think). At this point, there’s no way I’m waiting until I’m 61 to have a beer in my house.

39. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,054) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Some of these guys must think they're gonna live forever. Not me. Whatever it is, it better be good right now 'cause I ain't got time to wait around.
    :wink::beers:

40. micada

Society Trader

I’m going for 100. Lofty goal, but all the good beer will be mine!

BigIronH, Whyteboar and dcotom like this.