Release Dogfish Head Oak-Aged Vanilla World Wide Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeerPugz, Feb 28, 2017.

1. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (154) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

2. xxbassplayerxx

xxbassplayerxx Initiate (173) Mar 16, 2016 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Wow. I love regular WWS, this sounds great. Any chance at a BBA version?

3. flat_lander

flat_lander Initiate (193) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This sounds pretty fantastic. Thanks for posting. Love the base beer, so really excited to try this one. Maybe since it's only aged on oak and vanilla, and not BB aged it won't be a complete s*** show to try and get a bottle...or 4 pack.

4. Grizzarky

Grizzarky Aspirant (226) Jun 6, 2014 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I've only had it once and very fresh, but to me the Last thing it needed was bourbon, hot enough as it was. Hoping the vanilla and oak mellow it out a bit.

5. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,239) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Would be nice. But at 18% its liquer territory.

AZBeerDude72 and Gemini6 like this.
  6. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Savant (966) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,451) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I still have a hard time believing World Wide Stout is 18%. It was so smooth, and sippable. Looking forward to this variation. Hopefully, distributors are pushing out Dogfish Head in Missouri by this point, or earlier so we can get the first round of 120 Minute.

BWood likes this.
  8. Yellowlt4

Yellowlt4 Initiate (126) Sep 21, 2016 Texas

I would love to see this beer in Texas but not counting on it.

9. buckeye1275

buckeye1275 Aspirant (282) Mar 21, 2013 Delaware

They have actually lowered their big beers down a bit. WWS is 15% now, not that we could probably tell the difference between 15 and 18. They had an issue several years ago with a batch of 120 not fermenting correctly and since then they have been advertising their big beers with an ABV range of 15-20%. In fact, their sign at the brewery last week has WWS listed as 15%.

Nate, Rodosman, Jaycase and 2 others like this.
  10. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,470) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Haha! Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Now I'll be able to buy a single bottle! Back in the day when it first came out in PA I had to buy a whole case of it - it was expensive!

bret717 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  11. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,451) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Interesting. I honestly hadn't even paid attention to the ABV when I reviewed it. I figured it was just an average ABV, especially since I didn't taste much there. When I saw what it's listed at on here my jaw dropped. No wonder it felt like I drank a stout on an empty stomach! Haha.

12. buckeye1275

I guess they no longer put the ABV on the label since it may fluctuate from batch to batch.

13. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (4,913) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'll pick some up.

Cheers!

14. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (388) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

REALLY looking forward to this!

DeviousSpirits likes this.
  15. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (141) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They had a bourbon barrel aged version at extreme beer fest. Maybe it's because I had been drinking a bunch of other really great barrel aged stouts, but i didnt find the BBA WWS to be that great. I'd definitely try it again on its own if i ever get the chance.

16. jimboothdesigns

jimboothdesigns Disciple (316) Nov 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

Another great beer for my beer burial around Halloween.

ESHBG likes this.
  17. flat_lander

flat_lander Initiate (193) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Beer burial? Halloween? Go on...

ESHBG and StoutElk_92 like this.
  18. InsuranceGuy

InsuranceGuy Aspirant (267) Nov 9, 2011 Delaware
    Beer Trader

They've never put the ABV on their "Caution" capped beers, instead labeling them as 15-20% to account for variation from year to year. It's been assumed that WWS and 120 were around 18% based on statements Sam made; Old School is around 15%; Fort and Higher Math around 17%

19. buckeye1275

Yeah, I think you're right about that. Higher Math and Olde School have the 17% and 15% on the label while the others have always been blank.

20. DovGibor

DovGibor Aspirant (225) Sep 18, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

They are planning on offering the BBA version at their WOCAAW event in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure how dedicated you are to trying this again, but thought I'd mention it.

21. KMitch

KMitch Disciple (370) Aug 29, 2012 Alabama
    Beer Trader

My experience with the "caution cap" beers is that they are best when aged for a while. I opened a 5 year old WWS and a 6 year old Fort fairly recently and both were GREAT. The alcohol presence in both had disappeared and were very drinkable. I plan on aging some of the bottles I have of the latest WWS release for 10+ years.

22. InsuranceGuy

InsuranceGuy Aspirant (267) Nov 9, 2011 Delaware
    Beer Trader

At Thanksgiving this year, I had a '99, '11, '13, and '16 World Wide Stout vertical. The '99 was like desert wine, so smooth and sweet and drinkable. The '11 was bad, likely from an unsealed cap. The '13 was the best, great balance of roastiness and sweetness with a hint of alcohol. The '16 was HOT.

HopsAreDaMan, jmdrpi and Rodosman like this.
  23. MunsonRoyE

MunsonRoyE Aspirant (259) Feb 11, 2015 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I have yet to have the pleasure of trying WWS, and all I hear are good things about it. Is it available anywhere in Virginia? I'll be heading up there tomorrow.

24. xxbassplayerxx

xxbassplayerxx Initiate (173) Mar 16, 2016 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

It's still on shelves in a few select places in KY. Since it's $10/bottle and not BA, it doesn't fly off the shelves too quickly here. Silly people :stuck_out_tongue:

25. Grizzarky

Grizzarky Aspirant (226) Jun 6, 2014 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Tons of it sitting on shelves in my area too. Hoping for a similar surplus of 120 minute, but I won't get my hopes up.

26. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,196) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yes, the BBA version will be 100% abv thus smashing the traditional beer barriers yet again!

Number1Framer and Grizzarky like this.
  27. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (386) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Where in VA? If you're going to be near Fairfax, Wegmans has it.

28. Jlabs

Jlabs Defender (666) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Sounds like a great beer as I enjoyed WWS..hopefully it's not extremely limited distro

29. rjruiz02

rjruiz02 Aspirant (230) Mar 10, 2017 Virginia
    Beer Trader

This sounds yummy! Looking forward to it.

May want to try Whole Foods or even Total Wine. We got a few 4 packs in our cellar from Dominion and Arrowine earlier this year, don't know if they have any left...

30. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Defender (608) Apr 6, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I see this is being released at the brewpub today = Anyone know if this will hit distro?

CrimeDog likes this.
  31. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,014) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Given how much they made and the fact that they needed a bottle label...

According to the link provided by the OP above it is to be packaged and shipped to retailers nationwide.

32. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Champion (824) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I would like to get a couple of these and age them, with that ABV this would mellow nicely least I assume it would (Thinking if Vanilla would lessen). I would get a couple if available for sure.

33. kpantz

kpantz Disciple (305) Nov 6, 2004 Pennsylvania

It is hitting distro. Heard from one guy that it may crest $20/bottle. Anyone else heard similar?

34. ernh

ernh Initiate (151) Jun 10, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I'm wondering if the label varies by state... I bought a 120 Minute in Denver in April and there was no ABV (almost certain date was a recent batch). Then in May I bought some in California and it was marked 16.5%.

35. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,056) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Would not be surprised by that price one bit. Vanilla as a beer additive is an aphrodisiac for many craft beer purchasers. Prices be damned.:wink:

keithmurray likes this.
  36. philsunset

philsunset Initiate (199) Oct 3, 2013 Michigan

Was at DFH yesterday and had a couple. 17.2 ABV of tasty goodness. I picked up a case and the vintage 4-pk and glasses. It will be interesting to see how this ages.

CrimeDog and buckeye1275 like this.
  37. ingchr1

ingchr1 Aspirant (276) Jun 4, 2008 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

The bottle of Higher Math that I have is marked 17%.

38. DonicBoom

DonicBoom Initiate (129) Mar 26, 2015 Virginia

You may be right as far as what the market will bear, especially if consumers smell notes of scarcity. :slight_smile:

Yet I can't imagine the production cost is that much higher for the variant. They are reportedly using 10,000 gallon oak tanks. Those should entail significantly less cost (and impart minimal flavor) per ounce compared to the 53 and 59 gallon barrels most common for bourbon and wine, respectively.

Jaycase likes this.
  39. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,056) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Good points. I don't expect a price in the $20 range but again, it would not be surprising as noted. I think regular WWS is around $10ish? Will be interesting to see what it comes out at.

40. Donco

Donco Devotee (474) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Hitting most of their areas beginning in the coming week. Yes!

flat_lander likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.