Dogfish Head Reveals The Perfect Disguise and Brings Back Raison D'Extra

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,621) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

Brewery unveils brand new Double IPA and brings back Raison D’Extra

Milton, Del., January 8, 2019 - Is it an IPA disguised as a Kölsch or a Kölsch disguised as an IPA? Well you’ll be able to weigh in on this mystery in early January because Dogfish Head Craft Brewery will uncloak its newest Double IPA, The Perfect Disguise (8% ABV, available in 12oz/6pk bottles.) On the surface, this golden beer looks like a straightforward Kolsch with a crisp Kolsch yeast and traditional German malts and hops - but things aren’t always what they seem. Your first sip of this beer lets you know it’s something different. The luscious body and creamy mouthfeel is a result of a unique German chit malt. Hiding deeper behind that German disguise is the double-dry hopping of an American Double IPA, with nearly 4lbs of German and American hops per barrel, bringing tropical flavors of citrus, tangerine, mango, gooseberries and peach.

“Our raison d’être at Dogfish is to innovate and not follow, so on this exploration of goodness in the world of IPAs we’ve chosen to chase the creative white space in the sphere of beer recipes, concepts and ideas and I think we nailed it with our adventurous take on a Double IPA with The Perfect Disguise,” said Sam Calagione, CEO and founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery. “We punched up the creativity by layering in two different yeasts which bring forth the most delicious flavor profiles from both a Kolsch and an IPA – a delicious experiment.”

The artwork for The Perfect Disguise was brought to life and designed by highly acclaimed artist, Michael Hacker, who partnered with Dogfish Head for the 2019 Off-Centered Art Series. The name “The Perfect Disguise” was the inspiration for the illustration design as it’s a play on words with whether or not the beer is actually a Kolsch or an American IPA. Hacker artfully portrayed that mystery by creating a German waiter dressed in lederhosen as a nod to the Kolsch style and added a hop popping out from his neck and controlling the robot, which represents the American IPA. The bright yellow and orange packaging is a nod to the golden color of the beer.

Raison D‘Extra will also make a comeback this year and heads to taps and shelves in early January in 12oz/4pk bottles. This immodest brew is made with an obscene amount of malt, brown sugar and raisins, and takes Belgian-style browns to new heights. Dark amber in color, Raison D’Extra (15-18% ABV) has a clovey and slightly herbal finish with notes of sherry, nuts and sweet dried pit fruits. Calagione describes it as, “our Raison D’Etre, with a little extra. This puppy’s only getting better with age, so sip on one with a loved one now and stash the rest in your beer cellar for later.”

For more information about Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, The Perfect Disguise and Raison D’Extra, visit http://dogfish.com

###

On BA:

2. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,702) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Premium

The return of Raison D'Extra is welcomed, I think I still have a bottle of the previous release in the cellar.

3. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (444) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Saw Raison d'Extra at TW on 21st St Norfolk today. I may pull the trigger and get some next week, depending on price point. If its too high I may partake in the Lickinghole Creek dump they got (Three Chopt Tripel, VA Black Bear)

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,760) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

“Hacker artfully portrayed that mystery by creating a German waiter dressed in lederhosen as a nod to the Kolsch style…”

But Kolsch beer is brewed in Cologne, Germany (western Germany) while lederhosen is worn by German speaking people in the Alpine region (e.g., Bavaria).

Is this intended to be an ‘extra layer’ of disguise!?!:confused:

Cheers!

RobNewton, FBarber, zid and 1 other person like this.
  5. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,442) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Raison d’extra...so much for making room in my “cellar.” This is awesome news. :heart_eyes:

6. JodiB

JodiB Initiate (33) Dec 20, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

I was able to purchase 4 (!) from the local shop here in town. The rep had just dropped it off. I’m so excited I came across this thread earlier so I knew to look for it. Can’t wait to split some tonight!

GreenBayBA likes this.
  7. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,244) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Perfect Disguise sounds great and I will definitely try it. The release of Raison D'Extra is wonderful news. I'm figuring on stocking up on at least a dozen. This beer is a great one to age.

muchloveforhops3 and GreenBayBA like this.
  8. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,315) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I never "got" Raison D'Extra.......expecailly at that ABV. Just like I never really got WWS either at that ABV or even the esteemed 120 Minute. You can enjoy a bottle or tow every now and again, but beyond that it's just way too much. Are people clamoring that much to bring back RDE?

GreenBayBA and RobNewton like this.
  9. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,168) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

I've had Raison D'Être on tap and it was excellent. Not a raisin fan but do like dark fruits, so am looking forward to at least trying D'Extra, but I'll buy a single.

JodiB and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  10. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,423) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Eager to snag some when it arrives :beers::beer:

GreenBayBA and JodiB like this.
  11. StoutAtTheDevil

StoutAtTheDevil Zealot (537) Nov 17, 2013 Alabama
    Trader

Not sure about "clamoring" for it, but many are appreciative that it's coming back. All 3 that you mentioned are amazing beers that age well for many years. I wouldn't drink them every day but they make for a nice treat now and then.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  12. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,315) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

That's sort of my point I guess. Is DFH selling enough of these beers to warrant brewing them and bringing them back from the retired list? They must be, people must be asking for them, maybe not "clamoring" but there has to be enough interest out there.

Regarding aging, I tried that years ago with limited success. The 120 Minute gets too sweet and syrupy and the WWS that I had got oxidized. Maybe others had better success, but the standard bottle caps aren't the greatest for aging.

13. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,168) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

I expect that D'Extra will have limited enough production that it will sell out, so it's OK if it sells mostly as singles and folks aren't clamoring for it. I don't expect to love it, but I am into trying new-to-me dark beers that sound interesting, and I have found some unexpected gems.

When I first got into craft WAY back in 2015, I was convinced that aging dark beers only made them better. I found out quickly that this is rarely the case, and even then is entirely subjective. Unless the brewer engineers a beer for aging with a specific outcome that may happen, aging changes a beer from what the brewer intended. Almost certainly some flavors fade, revealing others. Sometimes that is desired by some folks. Other times, bad things can happen such as coffee stouts getting a green pepper taste, as I happened to a one-year-aged FBS in my cellar.

Kadonny likes this.
  14. PrimustheOne

PrimustheOne Initiate (72) Nov 23, 2016 New Hampshire

DFH is awesome, and beyond reproach. Everything they make is perfect, and any genuine criticism of their beers is just trolling.

GreenBayBA and bbtkd like this.
  15. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,749) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Raison D'Extra is fab. Bottle Shop near me has about 12 bottles still of aged bottles on the shelf. Tend to grab one every so often for a nice Friday night treat

GreenBayBA, bbtkd and JodiB like this.
  16. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (444) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

On the hunt for the Disguise... passed on Raison d'Extra this week. Them's crack prices. Just grabbed a bunch of "cheaper" hi test VA stuff that'll keep instead (Jeffery, VA Black Bear, 3 Chopt Tripel)

Awaiting Chaos Mountain Theory of Chaos to re-drop again, should be soon. Half the price and a little more ABV in a Belgian Strong Dark to boot.

17. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Initiate (186) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

DFH just announced a 96 calorie 3.6 grams of carbs IPA with monk fruit.

18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,760) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

ESHBG likes this.
  19. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,011) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

A shop near you in NC? How is that possible with the ABV cap being at 15.5%?

GreenBayBA likes this.
  20. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,749) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Fort Mill, SC. I live in Waxhaw, so its actually the closest store to my house, but in SC

Immortale25 and GreenBayBA like this.