Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Dogfish Head & Sierra Nevada Collaboration: Rhizing Bines

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by cneville, Sep 13, 2012.

1. StylzMC

I was overwhelmingly disappointed with this.. I know we didnt get an old batch or anything, but it was all malt and very little hop aroma/flavor. I should have got a six of Sucks instead.

skinsfan likes this.
  2. davey101

Beer Trader

The reviews are not great :( I'm still gonna try this, but the press release full of goobly goo hop infusion fanciness now just seems gimmicky and moot.

cjoc83 and skinsfan like this.
  3. willbm3

Good point. Never would have thought DFH and SN could collaborate on such a blah beer. Everything is worth trying, but at the $16 I spent for it I feel like I got screwed

skinsfan likes this.
  4. earlholman

Beer Trader

Anyone know where you can get this on tap? I'm wondering how different it will be than in bottles, as I was dissapointed in the hoppiness

5. skinsfan

Beer Trader

I had it at Churchkey on Saturday night, not sure if it is still on tap there or not. I have a bottle sitting in the fridge so I have not had it from the bottle yet, but i am pretty sure that on tap version is not going to change your opinion much. I was extremely disappointed when I tried it on Saturday, don't really get the beer at all. And welcome to BA by the way...

6. StevenSpringer

Beer Trader

yeah it was like at every whole foods and total wine

7. StevenSpringer

Beer Trader

I live in Chico too, where do you ever see those? All i see is pliny at S&S or Rays

8. jcb7472

Beer Trader

Disappointed for me, also. I was hoping it was more of a Sierra Nevada beer than a DFH beer - not because I don't like DFH, but was hoping it would have the interesting flavors and taste of DFH with a West Coast/SN hop bang to it, but it ended up tasting just too malty and I did not get much hops from it for an IPA either. I don't see myself buying this one again. My beer store has 75 minute available now for $3 cheaper and that beer is much more my style.

skinsfan likes this.
  9. Squidly

I was at the brewery this past weekend, and tried it without ever hearing about it before. I enjoyed it enough to pick up a couple bottles.

I think the issue some reviewers have with this beer is rooted in pre-conceived notions.

jwjon1, ESeab and Shmuffalo like this.
  10. mudbug

Yes.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  11. Dogzbone

Agreed.

12. Mgm54

Beer Trader

I had this on tap at the World of Beer in Evanston IL outside of Chicago, great beer!

EDIT: Maybe it was because it was on tap? I felt like I really could notice the Hop effect of both the continual hop and the Torpedo. I quite enjoyed it. Was pricy on tap but I am glad I got to try it.

13. beerhan

Beer Trader

I felt a little cheated by this beer. I did not really pay much attention to the bottle, I just saw life and limb and assumed since it was more or less the same design/color scheme as life and limb 2 it would be a similar beer (i.e bottled by dogfish instead of sierra nevada). 11.99 for a very average IPA, I just felt kind of ripped off. I really wish they used a very different looking bottle.

14. WBD

WBD

I had a bomber overnthe weekend. Nice hoppy taste but not over the top. My beer dude explained it to me that these were very new hops therefore mild. I paid 8.99 for the bomber which I thought was good.

I was not a drain pour.

I will be on a search for it this week. Put some away for later.

15. Shmuffalo

Beer Trader

I brought a bomber with me to Valentines dinner at a sushi place in Pittsburgh. I intended on finishing the bottle, but it really underwhelmed me. However, listening to Sam, makes me want to try it again. I think I expected a fresh bitter hoppy beer, but it really wasn't. If I see it on draft, I'll give it a try again.

16. DrStiffington

Subscriber Beer Trader

My pre-conceived notion would be that it would be good. It wasn't.

skinsfan likes this.
  17. Squidly

Heh, I was referring to taste profile, but fair enough.

18. Shmuffalo

Beer Trader

I agree. If I didn't go in thinking it would be a typical fresh IPA, then I doubt I would have been disappointed. It definitely has a lot of flavors.

19. LiquidCucumber

Subscriber

Had it, loved it, wouldn't pay that much for it again. Maharaja is a much bigger beer and it's cheaper.

20. TheBigEast

Beer Trader

I went into drinking it not having read anything about the beer and having no expectations. I simply found it boring. I try every new beer Dogfish Head releases and sometimes they are enjoyable and sometimes not. Glad they keep innovating and as long as they keep making Palo Santo Marron, I'll be a happy Dogfish Head customer :)

21. DrStiffington

Subscriber Beer Trader

All joking aside, I love DFH (even vacation in Rehoboth every summer partly to enjoy the brewpub) and Sierra Nevada. Just thought it was weird tasting and very unIPA-ish and too expensive to ever have it again.

22. zappafrank

Yeah, just Ray's and Mangrove. Ray's and Chico Natural Foods are my go-to's for beer. The Co-Op has a SICK selection right now.

23. kirbmeist

Beer Trader

Had this on tap last saturday night and was very disappointed. Not a whole lot going on with it and I was let down by two of my favorite breweries.

24. RangnaR

Was really excited to see it on the shelf, so had to get it despite the price, but...
    I was underwhelmed by everything about the beer but the label.

25. 82300sd

Beer Trader

I paired this beer with a meyer lemon bar and the flavors went well together. Probably goes well with any lemony baked goods

26. RangnaR

I wasn't expecting the sourness I picked up in it...

27. beerhan

Beer Trader

Was there a slug in your bottle by any chance?

Lipsntoes likes this.
  28. bcook582

its been released in upstate NY i have my brother pick up 3 bottles for me $12 each, waiting for me to fly home in 3wls from SF.

29. watsonmd

It's at Pop's in Johns Creek. Also at TW. $11.99

Last DFH I opened was Bitches Brew, which was pretty good. Before that, the Noble Rot was not at all satisfying. couldn't finish it. More like wine than beer. I am afraid to try this one, but I bought one anyway....

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/dogfish-head-sierra-nevada-rhizing-bines/130997750

30. RangnaR

No, but a fellow hophead tried a bottle, and noted a slight sourness to it, as well...

31. NixonsHead

I tried it on tap last night at the Judges Bench in Ellicott City, MD. Great beer bar. (I mention it just to say I believe it was handled and served with care)

It was completely disappointing as an Imperial IPA. Not hoppy at all.

32. zappafrank

Ok, just tried for the first time. Was ready to hate it, due to this thread. But I think it is a very drinkable beer! Great, sweet IPA. Sort of like a sweeter, lighter Torpedo. With so many strong IPAs in th emarket these days though, Rhizing Bines will probably get bad mouthed quite a bit.

Mgm54 likes this.
  33. CreightonSM

Just had my first glass this afternoon at keystone pub in Allentown PA... Not what i expected but very very tasty.

34. BeerRollups

Had this last weekend. As man others have commented, it was certainly not what I expected. I would have thought a torpedo hopped beer would have big hop flavor, not so with this. I would drink it again if it was half the price.

35. BKBassist

I wonder if there are multiple batches of this out there, because peoples reviews are all over the place. I tasted no hops at all, it almost had a Brett\wild ale feel to it. I enjoyed it, but a DIPA it was not.

36. bosshop

I think I know how my first girlfriend felt, "fine, I'll do this but I know I am not going to enjoy it"

rjacobs6, afrokaze and BeerRollups like this.
  37. geoffpm

Subscriber

Really disliked this beer and at $15 a btl, I felt violated. Who stole the hops ?

willbm3 likes this.
  38. 57md

Beer Trader

Tried Rhizing Bines already. Sorry to say, but it was mediocre.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  39. brywhite

I was excited to try it too. Oddly sweet with no real hop presence except a faint "SN Pale Ale" taste on the finish. I don't understand how it had a big head but low carbonation - kinda gross and hard to swallow. I paid 13.99 for the bottle and (gladly) drain poured most of it.

40. GuyIncognito

Big disappointment. Exactly the same as a 90 min. DFH has burned me for the last time on an overpriced bomber...

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe