Dogfish Head Suddenly Comfy Imperial Cream Ale

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Sep 24, 2019.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (274) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I would try it:

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery & Dogfish Head Distilling Co. Release Two New Products – Suddenly Comfy & Alternate Takes: Volume 2, Whiskey Finished in Palo Santo Marron Ale Barrels

Milton, Del., Sept. 23 – Dogfish Head Craft Brewery and Dogfish Head Distilling Co. keep the spirit of off-centered innovation going with the release of two epic, new offerings – Suddenly Comfy, an imperial cream ale reminiscent of freshly-baked apple pie, and Alternate Takes: Volume 2, Whiskey Finished in Palo Santo Marron Ale Barrels. Both libations are now available at Dogfish Head’s various coastal Delaware properties – the Dogfish Head Tasting Room & Kitchen, Dogfish Head Brewings & Eats, Chesapeake & Maine and the Off-Centered EmPOURium.

“Here at Dogfish Head, we are dedicated to exploring goodness, especially when it comes to creating new and innovative beers and spirits,” said Sam Calagione, founder of Dogfish Head. “Suddenly Comfy and Alternate Takes: Volume 2, Whiskey Finished in Palo Santo Marron Ale Barrels are no exception to this mindset. Thanks to our awesome team of co-workers, their creative ambition and their passion for thoughtful experimentation, we’ve created two superb sippers that are sure to become your new fall-favorite treats.”

Suddenly Comfy
    Clocking in at 8% ABV, Suddenly Comfy was brewed with all the makings of a classic apple pie – fresh apple cider, Saigon cinnamon and Madagascar vanilla beans. Its slightly sweet flavors of baked apple pie, vanilla, cinnamon and baking spices offer a fragrant flashback to more nostalgic times. The perfect topper to a meal or a decedent dessert to enjoy anytime, Suddenly Comfy’s aromas of lightly toasted pie crust, baked apples, baking spices, vanilla and bruleed sugar will have drinkers yearning for just one more slice … er, sip. Starting in October, Suddenly Comfy will be available nationwide in 4pk/12oz bottles.

Alternate Takes: Volume 2, Whiskey Finished in Palo Santo Marron Ale Barrels
    After being batch distilled using a grain bill of malted barley, applewood-smoked malt, coffee-kilned malt and crystal malt, Alternate Takes: Volume 2, Whiskey Finished in Palo Santo Marron Ale Barrels was fermented with Dogfish Head’s proprietary Doggie Ale yeast. This limited-edition liquid was then aged in American oak barrels before being finished in casks that previously held the brewery’s iconic Palo Santo Marron. Medium bodied and amber in color, Alternate Takes: Volume 2, Whiskey Finished in Palo Santo Marron Ale Barrelsexudes aromas of honey, toffee and hazelnuts. At 90 proof, this sipping whiskey’s slightly smoky heat is complemented by flavors of caramel, green tea, blond roast coffee, white chocolate and dark wood. Beginning in October, Alternate Takes: Volume 2, Whiskey Finished in Palo Santo Marron Ale Barrels will be available in 750ml bottles in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

For more information about Dogfish Head Craft Brewery and Dogfish Head Distilling Co., or to find Suddenly Comfy and Alternate Takes: Volume 2, Whiskey Finished in Palo Santo Marron Ale Barrels near you, visit www.dogfish.com.

###

2. rgordon

rgordon Savant (973) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I think I may replace Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin with this interesting sounding sipping and after dinner and cold weather potential nightcap. I'll give it a try. I've had a few 60 Minutes lately and they've been excellent.

Bitterbill and surfcaster like this.
  3. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (543) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Interesting but the description and 8% just doesn't seem to fall into what I would think of as cream ale territory. Will git a whirl--I think most all DFH as being good quality even if the twist is not my favorite.

4. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,118) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Wont lie...I will buy both if I see them on shelves...

Mark-Leggett and ericwo like this.
  5. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (599) Mar 28, 2009 California

What makes this a cream ale?

While, the beer sounds interesting enough to try I am just not sure why it’s labeled as a cream ale.

6. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,023) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

You had me at cream ale. Then I got disapponted when I read the description. The idea of a cream ale by DFH got me excited. If the base is there at least put that in the description and press release.

As for the whiskey in Palo Santo barrels. Sign me up!

7. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (343) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I guess there's a limit to how much butter you can throw in the dry hop but those are not the three things I would have come up with for "all the makings of a classic apple pie".

Roguer and surfcaster like this.
  8. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Guess it makes a difference what one thinks of as "classic." Back in the day and where I grew up my Grandma used to use an ingredients list that included cinnamon and vanilla among other things.

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. STORMRAGE92

STORMRAGE92 Initiate (128) Apr 3, 2019 Maryland
    Society

Dogfish had this on tap around Christmas last year. It was delicious. They ran out about 3 hours after opening.

10. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Aspirant (201) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

This was really good. Can only really have one a session (it is a dessert beer), but man is it tasty.

Mark-Leggett and ESHBG like this.
  11. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (274) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

This is quite nice, well balanced and can taste all of the notes that it claims, glad I took a chance on a four pack.

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  12. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,267) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm in for the Suddenly Comfy. I'll try the whiskey if it shows up at my favorite watering hole, but I don't need another $50+ bottle of liquor sitting around. (I can't imagine it selling for less than that.)

We won't be getting it anyway. :slight_frown:

13. Glider

Glider Zealot (529) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

The majority of beers I’ve seen released recently as cream ales have nothing to do with the traditional style. They are coffee beers, or other highly flavored and typically high ABV beers playing on the concept of cream. People like cream. People looking for melted alcoholic ice cream in a can would probably be disappointed to get something that tastes like a pale lager.

Those looking for actual cream ales, well, there are a couple. I had one from Newburgh a while ago that was pretty good.

officerbill and Rocktire like this.
  14. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (347) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Genny describes their cream ale (IMO the standard) as
    Empire says theirs is a
    DFH boasts their cream ale
    [​IMG]

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  15. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,618) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Sounds like a case of poor naming.
    Rather than calling it an "Imperial Cream Ale" they should probably say something about apple and cinnamon in the name.
    Reminds me of all of those "Kolsch" beers that are actually fruited blondes.

16. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Savant (961) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri
    Society

Will this be available everywhere? I want to try this one

17. bkov33

bkov33 Initiate (142) Dec 5, 2007 New Jersey

I found it to be lacking flavor, no strong cinnamin or apple flavors