Dogfish Head Unveils Multi-Sensory Hoppy Variety Pack w/ Blue Hen Pilsner

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Jul 23, 2021.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (359) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

90, 60 and SM are decent beers but the Blue Hen Pilsner may be interesting:
    https://www.facebook.com/dogfishheadbeer/posts/10157784290112016

DrOfGolf, Chaz, Jwale73 and 4 others like this.
  2. jonphisher

jonphisher Defender (636) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I wonder why they didn’t throw hazy o in there. I’ve never tried slightly mighty. The blue hen pils was a brew pub release at some point I think. Now bring back aprihop nationally not just brewpub special release.

3. ESHBG

I think because both Hazy-O! and Slightly Mighty are in another variety pack sitting on shelves right now:

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/box-goes-boooom

The Salted Peach IPA could be interesting?

BigIronH and jonphisher like this.
  4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,292) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

"Blue Hen" ? That was also the name of a late 1980s- early 1990s Delaware-based craft contract-brew (via The Lion), one of many such beers that followed in the wake of New Amsterdam Amber Beer and, especially, Samuel Adams Boston Lager.
    [​IMG]

billandsuz, pudgym29, JimKal and 6 others like this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,139) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Let me know what you think of the Blue Hen Pilsner.

Cheers!

P.S. I will soon be off to visit Von C and drink some Vienna Lagers in a dimpled mug served via a side pull tap!! :beers:

6. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,638) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Delaware's state bird
    No added pear juice? Sounds like a step back. :wink:

DrOfGolf, rgordon, BigIronH and 2 others like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

Society

Chris, my wife graduated from the University of Delaware and their mascot is the Blue Hen. I regularly tease her that the university's mascot is a chicken! :stuck_out_tongue:

Although I do like eating me some yardbird!

[​IMG]

Cheers!

8. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,811) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'd kinda like to try that pilsner, but it's going to depend upon whether the W&S manager at the grocery store decides to bust up some variety packs and put them in the singles cooler. In other words, not likely.

Rug, BigIronH, ESHBG and 1 other person like this.
  9. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yup - NJ had one of those contract/craft beers named after its state bird around the same period, coincidentally also brewed at The Lion.
    [​IMG]
    Of course, NJ's early craft breweries were big on animal names in general, some of which didn't even exist in the state - Flying Fish, Rhinoceros (River Horse) plus Bulls (a few left, but not around me anymore - Bolero Snort) but also Crickets, which do.:grin:

BJC and zid like this.
  10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,624) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

It's their product line and my right to decline, the desire for one isn't worth the price of a pack.

JimKal, BigIronH and dcotom like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

The River Horse is the Hippopotamus.

Cheers!

P.S. For those out there interested in etymology: "from Greek hippopotamus "riverhorse," an irregular formation from earlier ho hippos potamios "the horse of the river"), from hippos "horse" (from PIE root *ekwo- "horse") + adjective from potamos "river, rushing water" (see potamo-)."

12. jesskidden

Society Trader

Damn spellcheck! (No? Can't blame technology this time? :grin:)

Yeah, you know, one of them there non-Jersey mammals, the one without the horn.

13. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,330) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

14. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,306) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I’m moderately excited for a new DFH pilsner, it’s been a very long time. I’d be fine with that variety pack but will just save the Slightly Mighties for give away beers.

HorseheadsHophead, JimKal and ESHBG like this.
  15. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,730) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

For what it’s worth, a brief video from DFH:

Rug, DrOfGolf, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Society

There is a new-ish brewery local to me that brews a lot with Proximity Pilsner Malt and I have very much enjoyed those beers.

I will likely enjoy Dogfish Head Blue Hen Pilsner and I will indeed purchase a pint if I ever see it on draft.

Cheers!

ESHBG likes this.
  17. jesskidden

Society Trader

Not said in video:
    "Yeah, it's so great that we're only going to brew it on a limited (one-time?) basis and make customers who might want to try it buy 9 cans of our year-round beers."

Kman_Colorado, Rug and ESHBG like this.
  18. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,730) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Yeah, these types of mixed packs aren't generally my cup of tea. Not sure how the business of things like getting shelf space might play in to such decisions. Does using an existing seasonal/12pk spot and/or including known sellers expose more people to the beer than trying to get a separate spot for an untested pilsner?

Rug and jonphisher like this.
  19. hillind

hillind Aspirant (268) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I’ll pick this up. I like 90 minute and slightly mighty, and I’m curious to try the pils. I had fresh 60 minute last week for the first time in a while and I thought it was outstanding. Another one of those beers I have once in a while and ask myself why I don’t drink it more.

Rug, JimKal, ESHBG and 5 others like this.
  20. jonphisher

Trader

Had a similar experience last weekend, and wondered the same thing.

21. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,307) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I'll definitely buy this. I'm excited to try the pils, and I enjoyed Slightly Mighty and 60 Minute quite a bit the last time I had them.

22. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,229) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Same. I get caught up in trying so many new beers I have to remind myself to revisit old faves. Right now I have Lagunitas ipa, Two Hearted and Finestkind in the fridge, and enjoying all three. I’ll happily get cans of 60 and 90 to have the pils. On a side note, visiting Rehoboth and DFH in a few weeks with family and friends to celebrate my 50th. Can’t wait! Went there for the first time for my 40th and loved the area.

23. ESHBG

60 Min. is one of those beers that does it all pretty well and when I am in the mood for something hoppy and OS it beats out a lot of the local competitors for me e.g. Troegs Perpetual IPA.

Fun 60 Min. story: many moons ago the girl I was dating at the time knew that I was into craft beer but she knew nothing about it and didn't like beer so she asked her cousin to help pick something out for me. "This beer is great!" he had told her so she got a whole case. She arrived with it and I wasn't into IPAs at all at the time but of course was thankful but I said to myself how in the hell am I going to finish 24 of these?!? But as I slowly worked my way through them I really started to appreciate the beer and it deserves full credit for me being open to exploring IPAs and hops further.

ericwo, bubseymour, Rug and 8 others like this.
  24. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,307) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Nice! Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was the beer that officially opened my palate up to hops. I love hearing other peoples' hoppiness-entry stories.

ESHBG likes this.
  25. DrOfGolf

DrOfGolf Disciple (311) Jun 11, 2019 Florida
    Society Trader

Wow, my wife also graduated from there and I also used to tease her about the UD Chicken. Nice to know that I wasn't the only one doing that. :grin:

Cheers!

JackHorzempa likes this.
  26. Todd

Todd Founder (6,506) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Here's the press release...

Dogfish Head Unveils Multi-Sensory Hoppy Variety Pack with NEW Delaware-Centric Brew, Blue Hen Pilsner, and Special Hop-Scented Packaging Element

Milton, Del., Monday, August 2, 2021 – Forget about roses … it’s time to stop and smell the HOPS! Dogfish Head Craft Brewery introduces its NEW Hoppy Variety Pack. Hitting shelves NOW nationwide, this variety 12pk/12oz cans features four hop-forward beers, including NEW Blue Hen Pilsner, and offers drinkers a unique, multi-sensory experience with a special, hop-scented element made using real hop oils on the front of each box. “It’s a reminder that’s life’s too short to drink boring beer,” said Sam Calagione, Dogfish Head Brewer & Founder. “So, grab a Hoppy Variety Pack and share it with your best beer-loving pals. Afterall, the tastiest beers are those enjoyed alongside friends and family.”

Created with hop lovers in mind, the Hoppy Variety Pack includes three fan-favorite off-centered ales – 60 Minute IPA, Slightly Mighty and 90 Minute IPA – and a Delaware-centric variety pack exclusive, Blue Hen Pilsner. Every Hoppy Variety Pack contains three 12oz cans of each of the previously mentioned beers.
    • 60 Minute IPA (6.0% ABV) – 60 Minute IPA is continually hopped for 60 full minutes with a boatload of intense Northwest hops. The result is an abundantly hoppy, but not crushingly bitter brew with bold citrusy and grassy hop flavors.
    • Slightly Mighty (4.9% ABV) – The first and number-one selling* lo-cal IPA in America, Slightly Mighty is a full-flavored, lo-cal IPA with just 95 calories per can.** Brewed with a hint of monk fruit for body and complexity, Slightly Mighty is slight in calories and carbohydrates yet mighty in hop character, throwing tropical notes of pineapple, coconut, mango and citrus.
    • 90 Minute IPA (9.0% ABV) – Making its debut in 12oz cans, 90 Minute IPA is a continually hopped Imperial IPA with rich pine and fruity citrus hop aromas. Dogfish Head’s first continually hopped beer and one of the country’s first Imperial IPAs, it is complemented by a strong malt backbone for an unapologetic, yet beautifully balanced flavor profile.
    • Blue Hen Pilsner (4.8% ABV) – Blue Hen Pilsner is a crisp and refreshing pilsner brewed with only four ingredients – water, yeast, earthy Saaz hops, and Delaware-grown and malted barley. Giving a loving nod to Dogfish Head’s home state, the beer’s label features the Delaware state bird and a color palette similar to that of the Delaware state flag.
    “Our Hoppy Variety Pack is overflowing with a diverse and delicious lineup of off-centered goodness,” said Calagione. “All the beers within it hold a special place in my heart, but I am most excited about finally unveiling Blue Hen Pilsner to drinkers from coast-to-coast.”

Dogfish Head first released Blue Hen Pilsner in 4pk/16oz cans from its Rehoboth brewpub, Brewings & Eats, in April of this year. After selling out of its inventory almost immediately, the brewery decided to expand production and release the beer nationally. Calagione adds, “Blue Hen Pilsner has been a huge hit, but for us, it’s more than just a crisp and tasty, super-sessionable brew … Blue Hen Pilsner is a liquid love letter to the agricultural awesomeness of our home state, allowing us to share a piece of our beloved Delaware roots with folks everywhere.”

For more information about Dogfish Head and its Hoppy Variety Pack, please visit www.dogfish.com.

*95 calories, 3.6g carbohydrates, 1g protein & 0g fat per 12oz serving.
    **IRI, Total US MULO+C, YTD Ending 06/06/21.

###

DrOfGolf, jkblr and Rug like this.
  27. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,444) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Has anyone (outside of DE perhaps) seen this variety pack? I'm a bit interested in it and have been on the lookout but nada. And according to the brewery press release, it was 'Hitting shelves NOW nationwide' on August 2nd. :rolling_eyes:

ETA: and it's not listed on the DFH beer finder either

#27 Jaycase, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  28. hillind

hillind Aspirant (268) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I haven’t seen it either, I did want to try the pils

29. ESHBG

Nada here either and their site still doesn't list this pack in the Beer [Fish] Finder. A local store had a ton of The Box That Goes BOOM! still hanging around and I noticed recently that they were all pulled and they kept only a few and relocated them so I figured this was coming to replace that but nope, they gave the space to another brewery.

hillind and Jaycase like this.
  30. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (488) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hadn't thought of this beer in quite a while but I remember liking both it and Pyramid's Apricot Ale quite a lot back in the day.

With all the fruity beers these days it seems like apricots have somehow slipped through the cracks. Or have I just missed them?

jonphisher likes this.
  31. jonphisher

Trader

I for one haven’t seen apricot in any beer other than them and #9 you are right. The forgotten fruit…

meefmoff likes this.
  32. ESHBG

DFH announced that due to consumer demand Blue Hen Pilsner is getting its own standalone 12 pack but it will only be available in the Mid-Atlantic region. I found the beer to be enjoyable enough but there's other Pilsners I would reach for first. But good to see the Lager love and hopefully DFH expands on this a bit.

Squire, Jaycase, cjgiant and 4 others like this.
  33. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,306) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I stayed overnight down in Deleware a few weeks ago and found the DFH variety 12 pack in a beer store in some small farm town on the way to the shore. Good variety pack IMO. But I have not seen it in any of the beer stores in central Maryland at all. The Blue Hen Pilsner was decent. Nothing mind blowing but decent.

Squire, ESHBG and Jaycase like this.
  34. jkrich

Society

This is strange, but I distinctly remember drinking a beer called Blue Hen Pilsner in the mid-1990s, and it was not brewed by Dogfish head. If I remember correctly, the label had a picture of an American Revolutionary soldier. Does anyone else remember this, or have I just had far too many beers over the years?

35. jts211

jts211 Disciple (319) Aug 5, 2018 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

You’re so close!! Scroll to the top of this thread and scroll down about 3 posts in and you’ll find the answer!! :grin::beers:

jkrich likes this.
  36. jkrich

Society

Thank you for pointing that out for me. I should pay more attention, but at least my question was answered! :slight_smile:

37. jkrich

Society

Thank you! I knew I was not crazy.

38. Squire

Society Trader

Well, at least they're making some effort.

ESHBG and Rug like this.
  39. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (883) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I miss Weyerbacher Apricot variation ofLast Chance IPA. I remember enjoying the regular version as well.

Apricot does not seem to be a popular option in beer and I wish it was.

Enjoy

Squire, jonphisher and Rug like this.
  40. Squire

Society Trader

So do I, years ago I asked a brewer who told me apricot was "too subtle" and "difficult to work with". Don't know about that, maybe he just couldn't get ripe apricots.