Donating your own "shelf turds"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Stugotzo, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

Going to a gathering this evening with my girlfriend. She takes dance lessons and the dance studio has "parties" after they close. So, I'm taking one for the team, missing the Stanley Cup Playoffs, my Tampa Bay Rays, so I can consume large quantities of craft beer. It sucks, but someone has to do it. :wink:

Anyway, I'm bringing a variety of good brews with me (Lagunitas Undercover, some SN Hoptimum, Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Bells Two Hearted). I also have a few somewhat past expired dates (or "optimal consumption for my taste) of Young's Double Chocolate Stout, SN Torpedo, Grimbergen Blonde. Does that make me a bad person if I'm bringing these slightly expired brews to offer to her friends? I don't know if there's any craft beer lovers in the audience, but I highly doubt it.

What say you?

And yes, I'll be taking the fresh ones for myself. :grinning:

Mersh, nsheehan and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  2. Providence

Providence Crusader (711) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Nothing wrong with that. The folks new to craft beer, in my experience, aren't super picky about freshness.

Someone left four bottles of Shipyard Pumpkin at my house last November. I ain't touching the shit (for a number of reasons, beyond its age). As such, it's going to sit until next Fall when I have someone over that's somewhat into craft beer. I'll lay it on them and they'll think it's great.

Think about it, when you got into craft did you care about expiration dates? I sure as hell didn't. "What you got there, a three year old Anchor Steam? Awesome. This is so much better than Miller Lite!!!!"

Mersh, Stugotzo and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  3. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,216) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought it might refer to "donating" old beers (IPAs especially) as extras. It's happened enough times in trades to kind of bum me out. They almost give off a smell of "thank god I'm getting rid of this." My opinion is that extras don't have to be extra-special, but they do have to be something I'd be happy to get.

Mersh and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  4. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,326) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Pass of the old stuff
    If someone shows interest, give them something fresh.

surfcaster likes this.
  5. 46and2

46and2 Initiate (105) Mar 28, 2008 Minnesota

Think of it this way:

If someone comments on the slightly less than optimal SN Torpedo, you found a BA and a new friend.

6. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Disciple (397) Jan 9, 2013 California
    Trader

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  7. Stugotzo

So, I should dance with their girlfriends? :stuck_out_tongue:

ElderPuma and surfcaster like this.
  8. Stugotzo

Good news... no hockey tonight. I won't miss it after all. :grinning:

9. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

I wish you would've posted this sooner. I could've sent you all of the Sam Adams and Blue Moon holiday sampler beers left from when my wife's friends came over for an Xmas party last December. I still have 7 cans of Tecate if anyone's ISO...BM me.

Stugotzo likes this.
  10. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2006 New York

What goes around comes around.

11. Mersh

Mersh Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Connecticut

Agreed. Now I've passed off some out of date stuff myself at parties and to a couple people I know that are trying to get into craft beer. But I would never pass it off to trading partners.

12. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (214) May 31, 2011 Colorado

Quick question: Is Mikkeller Danish for "Shelf turd"? It's gotta be.

YogiBeer likes this.
  13. Uncleserg

Uncleserg Initiate (148) Sep 19, 2009 California

Horrible I say horrible :rolling_eyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.