"Don't Mess with Miller Time:" Danny Trejo fights those who value technology over beers with friends

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,145) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Read more:
    http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/dont-mess-danny-trejo-and-dont-mess-miller-time-153309

See Danny Trejo in action in Miller's "El Protector" video (Spanish):
    http://bcove.me/3zqi3ezv

I can already predict the typical hate comments towards the beer, but I actually like the message; drop the damn phone and drink your damn beer with the friends that are physically with you. Plus Danny Trejo is kick-ass.

SILVER, doowhat, _--TAD--_ and 18 others like this.
  2. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,165) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

You won't find any hate comments here.....nothing wrong with enjoying a cheap beer with friends. I never understood those around here who claim they "love beer" but refuse to drink a can of swill with friends at a party. C'mon dude, grow a pair!!

3. JesseLara

JesseLara Disciple (335) Nov 4, 2012 California
    Trader

We do the same thing people are doing with dinner. We sit, everyone drops their phone in the middle of the table. First to pick it up pays the tab. Works really well.

AwesomeSquad, doowhat, opwog and 7 others like this.
  4. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Disciple (327) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

Forget about the beer involved, the message is great. I grew up without that stuff and we actually had to talk to each other in person. Still love to go to my good old friend's garage and talk about cars and dumb stuff we did when we were young. No technology could ever replace that.

5. 9uns

9uns Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2013 California

I wish I had a Danny Trejo with me every time I went out. Quite sad how people are into virtual interactions rather than physical interaction with people that are actually there. Facebook/Instagram/Untapped is life and that's pathetic.

djsmith1174 and surfcaster like this.
  6. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Miller Lite is the only cheap beer I can drink that won't make me completely ill the next day.

7. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Disciple (311) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Yeah technology is ruining our beer drinking time. Why can't people just interact face to face like us here. I'm glad I was able to see this video.

Now I'm gonna go back to the bar and show all my friends this video on my smart phone from the BA mobile site then where gonna tick some new hads and twit pic all the beers we're drinking. I might even see what's new on the message boards and like few posts.

I feel sorry for people who are always buried in their phones.

8. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

No matter what that actor does for the rest of his life, I will always know him as a head on a turtle.

9. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (510) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Yeah, nothing enhances my enjoyment of being with friends more than trying to choke down a beer style that I don't like to drink.

10. tzieser

Trader

sometimes there is comfort and comradery when sharing miserable times together hahaha. nothing brings people together like a tragedy right?

AwesomeSquad and 5thOhio like this.
  11. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,247) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

but if i drop my phone wow will i post my pic to BA! :slight_smile:

one of the best parts of beer for me is that it can be a time to escape all the electronics i need to stare at daily and just unwind

12. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,084) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Really? I think that just might be a drag. Honestly, some brother in law and his knuckle-headed pals, a dreary wedding, stuck on some far corner of the golf course- when the pretty young thing pulls up with free Buds left over for an earlier event- at a family reunion and you're the outlaw, walking through the woods and a nutcase hands you a Miller? I rather relished each of these real events and my really good taste and palate survived, I think.

13. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

There's a difference between using technology and overusing technology. I'm pretty sure most people who go to parties now are only there to take pictures of themselves at a party to put on Instagram.

14. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

I dont see why people cant both interact with the people they are with AND interact with people via technology at the same time. Im talented enough to multitask.

BMitch likes this.
  15. crusian

crusian Crusader (788) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

That video seems incredibly stupid and ridiculous.

Stugotzo likes this.
  16. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Disciple (311) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I totally get that I just thought it was funny that its in regards to drinking beer and posted on a site where a lot of content comes from mobile phones. I wasn't knocking people who do this just pointing out a lot of us do something pretty similar.

17. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (510) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Well, for starters,
    A) the scenarios you describe don't exactly sound like "enjoyment of being with friends" and
    B) it's not going to make my day any better if I'm in a situation that sucks and I drink a beer I don't like.
    "Geez, these people are real idiots. I think I'll drink something that I don't like the taste of. That'll make everything better! Maybe after that I can find something to eat that I don't like to top it off!!"

baconman91 likes this.
  18. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

I stopped at the "Lite" logo belt buckle. Oof.

baconman91 likes this.
  19. WeaponTheyFear

WeaponTheyFear Aspirant (222) Mar 9, 2008 Connecticut

I never understood those who claim they are some type of snob or social outcast for not drinking something they do not enjoy. I mean, if you're having a cookout with burgers and hot dogs and someone there doesn't like those items would you tell them to grow a pair and eat them?

Anyway, I have no problem drinking some shitty beer with friends as long as its not as some bar that charges $5 for a Budweiser.

20. tzieser

Trader

not sure if this is a jab or critique of my thought process, but i agree. drink your beer with your friends, regardless of what it is. dont be a wimp because you dont like "dark" or hoppy beers. just enjoy your beer, regardless of style, with friends.

what i'm saying here is: if your buddy brings you a beer you dont like; be nice and drink it. it's good manners.

cheers!

doowhat and Spikester like this.
  21. WeaponTheyFear

WeaponTheyFear Aspirant (222) Mar 9, 2008 Connecticut

I was just saying if someone turns down an American light lager because they do not like the taste of it, doesn't make them a bad person or a snob (although they may be). I have no problem drinking Budweiser although I stay away from light beers for the most part because the carbonation is too much for me. My friends and I even have a running joke about only being able to drink Narragansett warm. But if you don't like something, there is always a polite way of saying so that should not offend the other party.

mellowmark, doowhat and 5thOhio like this.
  22. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,948) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I'd gladly drink a beer with Danny Trejo. Even a Miller Lite.

mellowmark likes this.
  23. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

BMC peer pressure.
    lol
    Fuck that shit.

beertunes and 5thOhio like this.
  24. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

If a guy don't like fried asparagus, do you hold it against him cuz he don't eat it? Of course not. I personally like AALs. But if sumbody don't want them, why look down yer noses if they refuse them? I can't stand bananas, meself. Cain't say I'd rather starve than eat one, but I'll hold out as long as I can.

russpowell, 5thOhio and fujindemon74 like this.
  25. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,345) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Danny rules! And I drink Miller.

26. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,824) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I got nothing to fear from Danny- my phone is a phone, and I get annoyed when I have to use it.

doowhat, russpowell and utopiajane like this.
  27. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (826) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

You must go to some lame parties.

28. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Devotee (486) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

It looks like "technology" is part of this ad campaign elsewhere, but I didn't see the connection in this video. I could just as easily read into Trejo castigating your boss for not letting you off work in time for happy hour Miller time.

If this cookout was in a BMC or sports bar commercial? Yes. Vegetarianism is for sissies - real men eat tubes of mystery meat and drink lite beer.

beertunes likes this.
  29. Providence

Providence Crusader (708) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

The friends I spend time with don't constantly check their phones when we're sharing each other's company. That's part of the reason why they're my friends I spend time with.

herrburgess and Bitterbill like this.
  30. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (494) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I like that I can buy High Life for like $15 per case.

I also like the message of this video.

31. kingofhop

Cell phones, Ipads and Tweeter book are alienating us from each other. When I sit down w/ a guy over a beer, we argue politics, religion and sports. Wouldn't have it no other way. Staring at some electronic device while texting ain't the same. Drink yer beer and talk face to face(book) y'all!

Bitterbill likes this.
  32. kingofhop

Bill, for a short while here in OK, we had something called "Miller" beer, in a red can. Different than High Life, MGD or Lite. Do you recall this?

Bitterbill likes this.
  33. baconman91

baconman91 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Ohio

Anything Miller SUCKS..no matter who is plugging it for them.
    Miller Light might also be the worst beer evn made..Ever!

..i was just at a golfing outing, its Unfortunate its all they had. Good thing I brought a cpl Lake Eerie Monsters (w/) me. :wink:

34. Gorillahead

Gorillahead Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Missouri

Miller Lite tastes like water mixed with stale burnt toast.

I'd still choke one down with Danny Trejo.

_--TAD--_ likes this.
  35. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,084) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Oh, I was with friends. The beer was not great but not shitty. I just like to stay positive.

36. Todd

Todd Founder (6,145) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

ISO: Danny Trejo to visit this thread.

mellowmark, jRocco2021 and BrettHead like this.
  37. kingofhop

I like Miller and not ashamed to admit. Shut down yer Twits and Facebookings, folks. Look your fellow beer dranker in the eye to eye. Technology is great and all, but we survived just fine without it.

russpowell likes this.
  38. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire Initiate (131) Dec 20, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Wrong. Trejo was more notable and as a rat the first time he sold out Neil, Michael, and Chris.

39. _--TAD--_

_--TAD--_ Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Texas

I like to think of miller as nothing more than liquid wonder bread , but then that would be offending wonder bread because its actually taste edible.

40. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (374) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Dude, just man up and eat a banana with your pals already!

I don't especially like AALs but if a pal offers me a Pabst or a Narragansett (which is the sort of econobrew my pals are apt to hand me), I'm happy to have it. But when I'm buying I'll get what I want.

(But I never caught on to mobile devices so when I want to ignore the friends I'm drinking with I have to bring a book.)

kingofhop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.