Door County WI

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by cfrances33, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cfrances33

cfrances33 Crusader (776) Jun 12, 2012 Illinois

Heading up to Door County next weekend with the lady friend, so here is the obligatory thread asking what bars/restaurants/stores I should check out while we are up there. We'll be staying in Ephraim, but don't mind exploring a little bit. Our drive will start in Indiana, so we'll essentially be taking the Chicago to Door County travel route. Any stores that would be 20 minutes or so off the main roads are fair game for suggestions too.

Basically boiling it down to - where should we check out to eat and have good beer while there, and what stores along the way will carry New Glarus (specifically Raspberry Tart, a long time want - unfortunately I know the weather did not cooperate for Belgian Red this year).

Thanks for looking and for your help!

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

There is still plenty of Belgian Red around from last year...Stop at Ridgeview Liquor in Green Bay before you hit the peninsula.

cfrances33 likes this.
  3. Durb777

Durb777 Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2011 Illinois

Stop at Woodmans in Kenosha. It's 2 minutes east of 94 on Hwy 50. They have all of the essential Wisconsin brews. And they have plenty of Tart and Red left.

Brunite likes this.
  4. BarrytheBear

BarrytheBear Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2007 Wisconsin
    Deactivated

Main St Market in Egg Harbor is surprisingly very solid

5. allouez86

allouez86 Aspirant (214) Jan 24, 2009 Wisconsin

Stop at the Wild Tomato in Fish Creek. Best beer selection in any restaurant in the area by far. Raspberry Tart on tap as of this week. Very small place but a must if you're in the area. The food is fantastic as well.

Edit: Main Street Market in Egg Harbor has the best bottle selection in any grocery or liquor store in Door County.

6. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

Belgian Reds are still out there. I had a buddy pick one up for me who was just in that area a week ago. (Sorry, forgot to ask him where he got it from)

7. misterid

misterid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

this pretty much sums it up

Wilson's in Ephraim is a quaint little spot for burgers and ice cream. and if the water is warm enough the public beach is great. shallow water out 100 yds or so.

8. cfrances33

Awesome, thanks for all the help so far everyone! Any chance I'll see Enigma anywhere still too?

9. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2008 Wisconsin

As of this evening, Main St Market in Egg Harbor had both Enigma and Saison. Mojo Rosa's located right next to the Main St Market has Breakfast Stout on tap and is a good place to watch a game and grab some food.

Koepsel's Market on Highway 57 between Baileys Harbor and Sister Bay has a nice selection of WI brews and you can build your own six pack for $8.99.

10. DersOne

DersOne Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2009 Wisconsin

Seconded on Wild Tomato. You may also get a kick out of Shipwrecked brewery. Overall it's nothing fancy, but their seasonal porter I had this past winter was surprisingly tasty, as was their Blonde/Light (kid you not).

11. DersOne

DersOne Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2009 Wisconsin

Enigma is plentiful in the area, should not have any problem tracking it down.

12. Caddyjack2

Caddyjack2 Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2010 Wisconsin

Bayside Tavern has a very good selection of tap and bottle beers, that's in Fish Creek. The Cookery in Fish Creek also has a nice selection of beers from around Wisconsin. But nothing competes with Wild Tomato, I strongly recommend a pizza for dinner at Wild Tomato then walk north to Gibraltar Grill, sit outside by the fire pit or the fireplace in the porch; they have a very nice selection of beer too. They'll also have all the combinations of Guinness you can ask for too.

13. Mrpickles

Mrpickles Initiate (0) May 4, 2009 Wisconsin

Just got back yesterday. Wild Tomato in Fish Creek blew me away with the tap list and it was the best food of the week.

cfrances33 likes this.
  14. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (835) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

My suggestion is DIscount Liquor in Milwaukee. Place absolutely blew me away last weekend when I stopped there. Super cheap prices and holy selection, batman!

15. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Initiate (0) May 6, 2010 Minnesota

hell, stop at any gas station and you can probably pick up both Red and Tart. By far the easiest top hundo beers to get.

16. chriltz

chriltz Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2010 Illinois

I know it isn't beer related, but if you enjoy coffee i would highly recommend checking out http://www.doorcountycoffee.com/

I bought their coffee once on a whim at woodmans...now i don't buy from anywhere else.

cfrances33 likes this.
  17. LazerBeast

LazerBeast Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Wisconsin

This, surprises me every time.

18. JDP33

JDP33 Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2010 Illinois

I also rec. Main St. Market in Egg Harbor. Happy Hunting!

19. cfrances33

Thanks a ton for the help everyone! Red and Tart secured, and going to Wild Tomato for dinner tonight. No Enigma, but we'll probably stop somewhere along the way home to grab some. Cheers!

20. allouez86

allouez86 Aspirant (214) Jan 24, 2009 Wisconsin

Nice. Tomato has Goose Island Bourbon county stout on tap today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.