Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Dorchester Brewing Company, The first dedicated contract-brewing facility in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jason, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,114) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Subscriber

Very interesting to hear about this ... I guess we'll be seeing a lot more "beer companies" pop up of perhaps this will be filling a NE void for the gypsy brewers.

http://www.dorchesterbrewing.com/

Not a fan of the crowd funding, did they not want to or could not find investors?

OffHeGoes likes this.
  2. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Initiate (35) Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Crowd funding works.

SveNss0N likes this.
  3. morebeergood

morebeergood Poo-Bah (2,486) Aug 13, 2004 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Filipe from Percival is a nice guy. I wish him the best of luck.

4. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Initiate (172) Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Two Roads already does this pretty well. They've been hosting Stillwater, Evil Twin and Lawson's as of late

OkayBrendan and Jason like this.
  5. hawkfarmorganic

hawkfarmorganic Initiate (0) May 18, 2014 Maine

Contract brew me 4-5 barrels of barrel aged beer for personal consumption. Thanks. Lol

6. Jarhead

Jarhead Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2012

I spoke to Filipe and his team. They already have investors and banks lined up. The crowd funding piece is more of a gap filler and to promote the project. The project isn't dependent on the crowd funding piece.

7. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Paper City brewing in Holyoke pretty much just hosts contract brewers now:

brewmaster Jack
    3 Beards
    Backlash
    Ambel
    High & Mighty

DZachariah likes this.
  8. Jason

Staff Subscriber

Still not a fan of it, this whole crowd funding thing or breweries has peaked IMO ... the solicitations I get are at a ridiculous level now. Good for them if they can round up a bunch of suckers to empty their wallets. ;-)

9. beergrrl

beergrrl Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2003 New Hampshire

south Dot water is awesome.

10. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

Dot water is awesome. It comes from the quabbin which is sparkling clean. If you had bad water in Dot it was from the shitty pipes in your building. Boston generally has very good water

ZDSmith87, HuskyHawk and ljkeats like this.
  11. jefffalcone

Just checking the location. That's one of the few neighborhoods in Boston that actually is pretty rough. Hope this project can help to change that

12. beergrrl

Shitty mains.

13. jefffalcone

Shitty mains is a problem everywhere, and dorchester is no worse. The entire country's water system was built around the turn of the 20th century.

14. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Wonder if this effects Daniel Lanigan's plans for something similar in town

15. GoOSU

GoOSU Initiate (168) Oct 6, 2006 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

16. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (324) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Bahahahaha

17. rknrll

rknrll Initiate (37) Jul 13, 2009 Massachusetts

Well...he changed his plans since that post, or maybe even before that.

18. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (324) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Oh how much has transpired in the last year.

19. DeanGeorge

DeanGeorge Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Massachusetts

Mercury does a lot too if you consider Notch, Slumbrew, CBC, Clown Shoes, and etc. I'm sure they brew so much Clown Shoes that I'm surprised it isn't the Clown Shoes Brewery.

20. DeanGeorge

DeanGeorge Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Massachusetts

Wait? High and Mighty still makes beer?

21. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (497) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Beer of the Gods was always decent on a hot day. About as good a review as I can give them.

Is Brewmaster jack all contract brewed?

22. beergrrl

Dot Water?
    [sez Ashmont Girl, St Gregs, 1978-1995] Shitty Watah, unless you're downtown

23. emannths

emannths Initiate (193) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

The Fumata beers, especially Fumata Nera, were pretty darn good. The fact that you could get a giant pour for reasonable price at the Otherside made it that much tastier.

Wow. Stories about drinking High & Mighty at the Otherside. I'm getting old.

24. Jason

Staff Subscriber

This is great to hear, I am sure they'll find the demand soon enough ... doubt most brewers are 100% happy with their contract situations in the NE currently.

The real demand is more brewpubs, beer bars that are not gastro-pubs, and bars that think out-side of the box. Boston can always use more breweries.

25. sjverla

sjverla Devotee (490) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

As far as I know Brewmaster Jack is more of a gypsy brewer. I could be wrong, but I believe he does the brewing himself.

DZachariah likes this.
  26. GiantCogs

GiantCogs Initiate (157) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

This has been my day dream idea for a while.

mschofield, rhino88888888 and BAMF like this.
  27. SveNss0N

SveNss0N Devotee (430) Feb 16, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Crowdfunding worked well for Hopsters. It's a proven, successful model.

28. Jason

Staff Subscriber

Latest press release:

Dorchester Brewing Company to Launch in Spring 2016 at 1246 Mass Ave to Support Local and Regional Brewers With State of the Art Facility and Unique Services

DORCHESTER, MA (November 10, 2015) – Dorchester Brewing Company (dorchesterbrewing.com) today announces their plans to open a dedicated 25,000 square foot contract brewing facility at 1246 Massachusetts Ave in Spring 2016. The brewery, which is currently under development, will fill an industry void by supporting regional craft brewers with beer production, packaging and marketing support in a state-of-the-art facility, which will also feature tours, a 2,000+ square foot tasting room and a collaborative workspace open to brewers and the local startup community.

The brewery will feature a full suite of services where craft beer brands, large and small, can produce, package (bottling, kegging, and canning), barrel age, market and store their beers and materials. Head Brewmaster, Todd Charbonneau, former Head Brewer of Harpoon Brewery for ten years, will oversee production on multiple brewing systems and ensure premium quality control measures, guaranteed brewing and packaging times and overall product consistency. The brewery will offer the public the opportunity to experience the process of craft beer brewing firsthand through tours and tastings in their 20-line tap system. In addition to uniquely supporting the brewing community, the facility will also act as a collaborative workspace for local organizations, residents and small businesses.

“As the regional craft beer industry continues to expand, we’re excited to be offering a superior, cost effective, predictable solution and suite of services to brands to brew their beer and grow their businesses,” says Dorchester Brewing Company CEO and Co-founder, Matt Malloy. “In addition to removing many burdens faced by brewers today, we look to create a highly collaborative environment and help level the playing field for the brewers that dedicate their lives to making great beer.”

The Dorchester Brewing team is comprised of several seasoned founders from the business and brewing community who came together to create a better option for brewers while helping to revitalize an up and coming Dorchester neighborhood. As a premier contract and partner brewing facility, similar to Zipcar, Uber and Airbnb, Dorchester Brewing Company looks to provide shared access to high-quality equipment and services that most brewery startups, along with small and medium-sized brewers, simply can’t afford or choose not to invest in.

More information available at: dorchesterbrewing.com

About Dorchester Brewing Company
    Established in 2014, by Travis Lee, Matt Malloy, Todd Charbonneau and Holly Irgens, Dorchester Brewing Company is a 25,000 square foot contract and partner brewing facility at 1246 Massachusetts Avenue, Dorchester, MA. Dorchester Brewing Company provides commercial brewers of all size, ability and scale, a turnkey opportunity to produce, package (bottling, kegging and canning) barrel age, market and store their beers in a well-located Dorchester, Boston facility. Dorchester Brewing Company is about helping brewers make the best beer they can while providing guidance and services to grow their businesses. dorchesterbrewing.com

29. DZachariah

DZachariah Initiate (135) Nov 7, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Tyler's (BMJ) brewing out of a new space, as there were quality control issues when he was at Paper City. I'm also pretty sure that High & Mighty closed up shop about a year ago.

sjverla likes this.
  30. Brewmaster_Jack

Brewmaster_Jack Initiate (121) Mar 20, 2014 Massachusetts
    Industry

Tyler from Brewmaster Jack here. That is correct; our new host facility is Brewmaster's Tavern in Williamsburg, MA. We moved there about 6 weeks ago. Dennis and the rest of the crew out there have been great. I highly recommend stopping by if you're ever in the area. Cheers

DZachariah likes this.
  31. Shyla987

Shyla987 Aspirant (244) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Will be interesting to see if this affects Two Roads at all. They are the biggest contractor in New England right now.

32. GoOSU

Beer Trader

rhino88888888 likes this.
  33. Jason

Staff Subscriber

34. GoOSU

Beer Trader

No mention of what they'll have on tap. I'm interested to see what the quality and style of brews they'll be putting out.

35. jbart

jbart Initiate (179) Oct 2, 2004 Massachusetts

It's posted now on social media and their Website.

Cream Ale, IPA, DIPA, Stout, Hefe, Rotating Nitro

36. Jason

Staff Subscriber

37. ljkeats

ljkeats Devotee (405) Jun 27, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

HA! Did you go to Dorchester and get the Clapp?

38. GoOSU

Beer Trader

Hoping to make it over this weekend. Space looks nice, how are the beers?

39. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (228) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's a really nice space with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating. Lots of board games to share, as well as a cornhole set outside.

I thought most of the beers were solid. The IIPA was my favorite of the bunch, but there were none I would not have a second time.

40. morebeergood

morebeergood Poo-Bah (2,486) Aug 13, 2004 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I stopped by on Thursday night. Packed house. The space is really cool, and the beers were great. Definitely will be heading back.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.