Double Barrel Jesus: What's the 2nd Barrel?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Fox82791, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (462) Jun 20, 2014 New York

Seems like it's just two different bourbon barrels blended together. If that's the case, it seems like a marketing tactic to ask higher prices. Lots of bourbon BA stouts out there are blends of many different bourbon barrels (i.e. Bourbon County), but don't label themselves as double or multi-barrel.

GetTheYayo and fredmugs like this.
  2. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,494) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Bourbon and Rye Whiskey.

3. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Imagine what Firestone Walker could call their anniversary beers.

moarmare, GetTheYayo and KhakCane like this.
  4. Fox82791

Septuple or Octuple would definitely stand out on a label :wink:

dutesanch likes this.
  5. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,494) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Sextuple on the label would definitely be a seller! :grimacing:

Fox82791 likes this.
  6. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

It raises an interesting question: What constitutes "double barrel?" Is it:

1. A beer that has been aged in separate barrels and then blended?

2. A beer that has been aged in third-use barrels that previously held a spirit and either a second spirit or beer after that (i.e. Bourbon County Barleywine)?

3. A beer that was aged in one set of barrels and then transferred to another set of barrels for a second aging period prior to bottling/kegging?

TonyLema1 likes this.
  7. Fox82791

I believe 1 and 3 would fall under the definition of double barrel. Can't say I personally know of any beers aged like 3, but I'm sure there have been.

8. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Crusader (726) Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Trader

^ Agree. I think more often #3.

9. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (963) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan

I could be way off base, but I believe it refers to a blend of the same base beer aged in two different spirit barrels- one Rum-aged, and one Bourbon-aged, blended together. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this was the style of Double Barrel Hunahpu.

Mshea805 likes this.
  10. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,226) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

So I'm curious why this thread popped up now. DBJ is one of my favorite beers and I hope this thread means it is coming around soon.

11. deadsincebirth

deadsincebirth Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 Illinois

Option 3 is what it should mean. To say a beer has been double barreled and has not would just be a lie.

12. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Poo-Bah (1,587) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

Depending on your definition, Mothers MILF would be quintuple barrel aged. From their website...

"You're in for a treat with this one. Brewed with cocoa nibs and raisins and then lovingly aged in rum, sherry, bourbon, brandy and whiskey barrels, this big beer takes on flavors from the spirit and wood of each barrel. The end result is a complex and elegant companioin that's right for carefree nights of privilege and excess."

http://mothersbrewing.com/craft-beers/our-beers/milf/

13. djd07

djd07 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2012 Texas

Mikkeller Black Fist "No freeze distilling needed. This beer has been barrel aged 10 times on different bourbon barrels."

14. Steban

Steban Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 North Carolina

Option 1 is what I assumed. I figured a batch was split in half, half being aged in brandy and the other half bourbon or whatever then blended together. I've never heard of option 3 but I could be wrong.

15. Pourharddrinkslow

Pourharddrinkslow Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2014 South Carolina

I picked up a bottle about a month ago so it's definitely out there. Since Evil Twin uses Westbrook's facilities for a lot of their beers I wouldn't be surprised if it hit SC first and is slowly being distributed in other states (I have no idea if DBJ was brewed at Westbrook). Keep your eyes peeled.

JakerLou likes this.
  16. a74gent

a74gent Aspirant (287) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm thinking that Pannepot Gran Reserva 2005 is like 3, but I haven't looked at a bottle in a while.

BrettHead likes this.
  17. LightnerLiquorKS

LightnerLiquorKS Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2013 Kansas

We just got some in last Tuesday and sold out the same day here in Kansas. I know it landed in the KC area, and the St. Louis Area...so if it's out here it surely is around out East and will be on the West Coast any time now. This stuff is CRAZY rare. I heard Kansas City metro got 10 cases. BBA Biscotti would usually be around...100 cases? Grab it when you see it. 24.99 is the correct non-gouged price around the in Kansas City/Kansas areas... that's 20 point markup. 19.99 is standard around here for BA Biscotti...but you see it for 30 and crazy prices like that a lot. I can't imagine what the Pappy Biscotti/Pappy Jesus will run.

JakerLou likes this.
  18. Fox82791

Just hit Buffalo

JakerLou likes this.
  19. Fox82791

25.99 here, pappy barrel jesus and biscotti are festival and torst only

LightnerLiquorKS likes this.
  20. threedaggers

threedaggers Crusader (743) Dec 2, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Batch 1 specified that it was rum and bourbon. Batch 2 bottles don't specify what both barrels are.

Fox82791 likes this.
  21. fredmugs

Deactivated

This beer better be good. I saw it for $20.88 and said fuck it.

[​IMG]

LightnerLiquorKS likes this.
  22. Fox82791

Damn, nice score. Way more expensive here and one bottle limit everywhere. Gone in hours

LightnerLiquorKS and fredmugs like this.
  23. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

DBJ hit South Carolina 2 weeks ago.

24. TboneRN

TboneRN Defender (636) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota

I am 99.99% sure that it was rye and bourbon the first go around as well

25. threedaggers

threedaggers Crusader (743) Dec 2, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

I was wrong. It was muscavado sugar (close to brown sugar) and bourbon. I remember the brown sugar reminding me of rum, hence the rum part. If you Google the label, b1 mentions the muscavado barrels.

26. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Crusader (748) Jun 18, 2003 Ohio
    Trader

FYI: DBH
    Stout aged on Peruvian cacao nibs, ancho and pasilla chiles, cinnamon and Madagascar vanilla beans aged in apple brandy and rum barrels before being blended together

27. halo3one

halo3one Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

Puga royale

Fox82791 likes this.
  28. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,226) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

If it's anything like the first batch it will taste like a bourbon soaked brownie. It's fantastic.

AintNoTele likes this.
  29. LightnerLiquorKS

LightnerLiquorKS Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2013 Kansas

20.88 was a great price!

30. aratcliffe

aratcliffe Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Kansas

Great beer, too.

31. HopSavant

HopSavant Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2014 Tennessee

Some hit Michigan last week. The one store I know that landed it had it at $31 and sold out within an hour.

32. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

You've never had it, you apparently question how good it is, and yet you spent $85 on four bottles? Why not buy one, drink it, and then decide if it's worth dropping another $60+ on more?

33. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Champion (815) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

As mentioned by @halo3one, Pugachev's Royale, and I'll add Double Barrel Damon. Other than those two, I don't know.

Some of the more famous ones (Double Barrel Mexican Cake, Double Barrel Hunahpu, etc.) have definitely been the blended kind. I think that's interesting, but not really a double barrel treatment by what I'd define it as.

I also am hesitant to call rye and bourbon (like DB Mexican Cake) a double barrel in any sense. Rye whiskey and bourbon do give slightly different flavors in beer (obviously quite different in the taste of the spirit itself), but I'd be very hard-pressed to tell them apart. It just seems like a bit of a copout to me to call something that comes from two different types of whiskey barrels to be "double barrel."

Fox82791 likes this.
  34. HopSavant

I can't speak for @fredmugs, but I'd guess because people will trade for them.

fredmugs likes this.
  35. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Ugh. That's probably true.

36. HopSavant

...or maybe an extra in our upcoming trade @fredmugs?

37. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,443) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Pappy's Even More Jesus is coming... :sunglasses:

fredmugs and JakerLou like this.
  38. fredmugs

Deactivated

I bought 4 because they probably won't be there today. I do go to a lot of bottle shares so even if I personally don't care for it they won't go to waste. BA Biscotti Break is amazing so, yeah, 4 bottles.

39. rwitter

rwitter Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2006 Denmark

When I made this beer originally in Denmark it was a blend of bourbon and port barrel Jesus.

CaptCleveland likes this.
  40. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Champion (815) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

Now THAT combination of barrels with this beer is what I'd like to get my hands on.

LehighAce06 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.