Double dose

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Jmr85, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sesmu

Sesmu Aspirant (209) Feb 28, 2007 Massachusetts

For whatever reason, it didn't have the same "wow" effect on me as last year. And I won't go the "it was better last year" route. I think it's just a perception. I was again looking for a "wow" beer, but it turned out "merely" very good.

This was my impression last year - as a response to somebody saying it's on par with Heady Topper and Double Sunshine.
    I like the beer, but if I didn't remember what I thought of it last year, this comparison would not have come to mind.

2. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (229) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Out of curiosity, why would you want it in bombers? I'd love it in 16 ounce cans (my favorite format for IPAs and DIPAs), but surely a Double Dose bomber would have been just as expensive, if not more. The price-per-ounce for the four packs was around 35-38 cents/ounce, that would make for a ~8 bomber assuming no large-format markup, which there almost sure would be.

Jaycase likes this.
  3. BigHoppy

BigHoppy Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2010 Massachusetts

Well the $25 four is quite a deal compared to Chelmsford's Drum Hill Liquors @ss raping of $10 per bottle because "they only got 8 bottles." Scum

4. yarnbomb

yarnbomb Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 Vermont

They just opened- it's the people who used to run Merola's Market just down the road. Their growler prices are really awesome, and the rest of their beer selection is pretty decent. I found the guy running the growler bar to be really knowledgable and he told me that their kegs are all going really fast.

Brad007 likes this.
  5. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Hop character seems a bit earthier than last yr. A good thing imo. And a bit more lingering bitterness on the palate. Great hop burps.

Just makes me think - cant wait for Kiwi Rising to come out again.

Ken_P and MarkJC1018 like this.
  6. ceolach

ceolach Initiate (29) Nov 20, 2010 Massachusetts

Drum Hill Liquors in Chelmsford was charging $9.99 per bottle. Paid 14.99 a 4 pack last year. Good but seriously.

7. Sesmu

Sesmu Aspirant (209) Feb 28, 2007 Massachusetts

Just FYI: this year's wholesale price is a little cheaper, if I remember correctly. Not by much, but slightly cheaper.

8. MarkF150

MarkF150 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

Rapid posted earlier that they just got more in. 2 bottles pp.

9. vonnerbeer

vonnerbeer Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2010 Massachusetts

I just grabbed 2 at Rapid and they were $3.75 each.

10. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (5,560) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

On tap for $5 per pint (happy hour) at the Nashua Garden right now.... Quite tasty! Prosit! !

Flashy, Auror and MarkF150 like this.
  11. dolomite128

dolomite128 Initiate (155) Sep 17, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Good news is my local store (Apple Country - Clinton) has only 1 4-pack left for $24.99...act fast! - or pass and never buy beer there. <--- this

Also got a fresh delivery of Lunch for $9.99 apiece this week. 2 left on the shelf. Gouging at its best. Get mine elsewhere for $6.49.

The two of these I had (split of 4 with a buddy $15.99) were fantastic. Highly recommended, super dank and just delivered on the heavy hops and green onion-like aromas and flavors. STILL not enough to get me to buy another 4 at $24.99 when Heady is $12.75 per 4. Makes no sense.

12. smanson56

smanson56 Crusader (793) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Otter Creek posted earlier today they have more Double Dose at the Brewery $15 a 4 pack while it lasts.

13. Pwbres

Pwbres Aspirant (240) Mar 25, 2013 Maine

$13.99 4 packs at Downtown Discount Beverage in Dover.

14. thegoon55

thegoon55 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts

anyone seen any in Boston lately?

15. BrewWhatYouLove

BrewWhatYouLove Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Massachusetts

Fort Point Market got ~4 cases in today and theyre just sitting there... I imagine the whole city is about to get hit with a ton of this stuff, really frustrating that they held back so much to build hype, and now its all out... when its less fresh

16. jeff_mc33

jeff_mc33 Initiate (135) May 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I landed an extra 4 pack. If anyone has been able to land any, Pm me.

17. Horbar

Horbar Zealot (547) Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

$24.99 is a damn crime. How does that retailer sleep at night. I'd tell them them to shove it.

18. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

yes, it's a global conspiracy to make 25% more profit on a single batch (for many conspirators, a single *case*) of beer. those fat cats sit in their mansions on OUR dime!

or maybe they produced it in waves since they don't have a ton of production capacity.

19. mjeffri1

mjeffri1 Initiate (14) Sep 4, 2008 Massachusetts

How much is it going for at Fort Point Market?

20. thegoon55

thegoon55 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts

still 3 cases left $18 per

21. Boomblaze

Boomblaze Initiate (125) Dec 31, 2010 Massachusetts

Got it for $18.99 4pk at Yankee spirit Sturbridge, picked up a Lunch as well.

22. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

Was fortunate to try this thanks to @Ljudsignal and, though unable to compare to last year's version, I think you're right on that this has a dank/pungent/mild oniony streak, much to its benefit, IMO. (Though I don't think it's near as pervasive as some other dank-ish brews I've had.) If you don't like those notes in an (d)IPA, you're probably not going to dig this. I thought it was great, but I like that sort of thing, and I'm also not necessarily as keen on the Citra-laden, tropical fruit nectar stuff that's so du jour these days.

woodfinish, Ljudsignal and Pahn like this.
  23. Ljudsignal

Ljudsignal Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2013 Massachusetts

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! :slight_smile:

breadwinner likes this.
  24. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (368) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

One more bottle left, loved each and every one I had.

Pahn likes this.
  25. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (137) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

If anyone is still looking there was a lonely 4 packing hanging out at Dave's Fresh Pasta in Somerville at 6pm today. $18.95

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.