Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Drain pour tales...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kpodolanko

kpodolanko Dec 7, 2012 Texas

Left Hand Smoke Jumper can jump off a cliff and die. 21.5 oz. poured down the drain.

2. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Jun 28, 2011 Oklahoma

We also have a local brewery here in OK called Hueberts, it's a travesty to our state's brewing cred. I've only had one and finished it although it was terrible, and I've had buddies tell me of dumping them. Embarrassment to the state.

Coop,Marshall, and Choc FTW!

3. zipper8650

zipper8650 May 10, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Captain Lawrence Birra DeCicco...sounded so promising...sometimes I like to pretend I just got a bad bottle

4. willseph

willseph Jan 31, 2011 Illinois

I picked up a FFF Apocalypse Cow from my local spot, which is usually really good about rotating inventory. I picked it up in April...AC is a June release (which I didn't know at the time). Needless to say, it was terrible. Immediate drain pour, but my guy at the shop refunded the cost like a boss.

5. ChanChan

ChanChan Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I rarely drain pour any beer. Last night I had a Trader Joe's Boatswain Twin Screw Teamer Double I.P.A and it was bad... tasted like a soaped up Old-ale. It was drinkable but I decided to take it out of its misery and drink a Fractional IPA instead. I think I will have to start getting pickier about what I drink.

6. socon67

socon67 Jun 18, 2010 New York

Brooklyn Brewery Concoction. Thought I was drinking sanitizer. SA Cranberry Lambic (even tried again the following year hoping it was better; alas it wasn't). Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin: which made me feel like I know knew what would happen if you drank a liquified Yankee Candle.

7. chumsnards666

chumsnards666 Dec 11, 2012

Pearl Street Dankenstien DIPA. Pure shit. I had to have 3 Wright Pils to remind myself what a good beer was.

8. assman79

assman79 May 30, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Had this too. Was like someone farted in my mouth.

9. lokieman

lokieman Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma

120 Minute...I will never understand the raves

10. chumsnards666

chumsnards666 Dec 11, 2012

Drinking this beer was as enjoyable as listening to Rick from Pawn Stars laugh.

11. 1Nrwyscotch

1Nrwyscotch Apr 8, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

"I've got six of these left, boiled brats in one and it did not affect the brats"

12. assman79

assman79 May 30, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

13. Hotmetal1

Hotmetal1 Feb 28, 2012 Mississippi
    Beer Trader

Just 2 days ago.
    [​IMG]

14. Jonada

Jonada May 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

15. joel66

joel66 Sep 1, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Tough to decide which I poured down the train quicker between voodoo Bacon donuts or batch 31 blue lady.

16. Powderhornphil

Powderhornphil Apr 30, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Last night I drain poured Odells Saboteur. Both the smell and the taste seemed unintentionaly funky. I think I had been hanging on to the bottle form nearly a year. I kept trying to go back to it throughout the evening but could not.

17. danieelol

danieelol Jun 15, 2010 Australia

yer I think that's cause it's a Wild Ale

ilovermont likes this.
  18. jb123

jb123 Dec 3, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

New hollan envious, one small drink, one 21oz drain pour. #fail

19. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Jan 10, 2013 Wyoming

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but...

I have never poured out a beer because it was that terrible. I always manage to choke it down and appreciate the experience of trying a beer I hadn't yet tried. But Rogue's Voodoo Maple Bacon Donut was a close one. Fortunately, we had split the bottle between five of us, so we didn't have to suffer through the whole thing. If it had been a bottle just for myself, I would have poured it.

I appreciate adventurous crazy beers. I was hoping a maple bacon donut beer might work. But it just tasted like liquid smoke and baco-bits. It was beyond the point of adventurous and creative and crossing into the obnoxious and gimmicky territory.

EdH likes this.
  20. brewtus

brewtus Dec 29, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Magic hat pistil, gross

21. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Jan 10, 2013 Wyoming

OH! I thought of another one. Leinenkugel's Lemon Shandy. It was too much like a Mike's Hard Lemonade. Any beer flavor that was present wasn't quality either. I had brought a 6 pack to a BBQ, took a sip of one, left the BBQ, went back to the liquor store, bought something good, and returned to the party. I never touched any of the other lemon shandys.

Travisurfin247 likes this.
  22. Hoptimus-Prime

Hoptimus-Prime Dec 7, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

DFH 120 min IPA ...was just undrinkable, may have been an old beer but it triggered gag reflexes.
    2012 Pump king...way too sweet, couldn't make it through half the bottle.
    Red Hoptober... the name is misleading, no hops stand out, reminded me more of Newcastle brown ale.
    One that actually finished but is worth mentioning because I had to force myself to finish it was Mission's Shipwrecked DIPA , I was dissapointed considering their IPA is pretty good.

23. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Jan 26, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

+1 on the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon. What an awful mess of a beer - an overly sweet, gimmick. I had it the same day that Four Hands (St. Louis) released their Smoked Pigasus, a smoked bacon maple porter. I thought it'd be interesting to pair up two "bacon" beers. The Smoked Pigasus was incredible - a solid porter with notes of the smoke*, bacon, and maple, but all of these flavors were just enough to enhance the cocoa nip/roasted/espresso taste of the porter base. Made the Voodoo Doughnut Bacon seem all the worse.

*The smoke flavor was provided by the award-winning Mike Emerson, of Pappy's BBQ fame. Great collaboration beer.

24. Derranged

Derranged Mar 7, 2010 New York

25. weonfire

weonfire Sep 4, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Laughing Dog - The Dogfather. Imperial Stout. I have to stay I'm not a fan of smoked beers but I had never had a drain pour of any kind until this. This beer was straight burnt and straight awful. i passed it around the room to make sure it wasn't just me. the looks on each face as the burnt substance went down the throats confirmed my belief.

26. Goblinmunkey7

Goblinmunkey7 Dec 24, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The first time I tried Fat Tire I drainpoured it. I was a couple weeks shy of my 21st birthday and couldn't handle how bitter it was (at the time). Luckily, I gave it another shot once I got my beer legs and couldn't say enough good things about it.

Also Triple Bock. I tried to take down a bottle alone. Didn't work.

27. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Dec 28, 2009 California

The first time I ever drank Samichlaus (which was probably '99) and Firestone Walker 15. I have a suspicion that if I'd let the 15 age for a year, it would have been much better. That said, FW 14--amazing, FW XVI--pretty darn good, but nothing tops FW DDBA.

28. JednoPivoProsim

JednoPivoProsim Jan 11, 2011 Maryland

Not so much of a tale, but I just drained back to back (out of date) Widmer Nelson and BrewDog Punk IPAs :(

29. Travisurfin247

Travisurfin247 Dec 20, 2010 South Carolina

Gusher infection on a homebrewed batch of maple syrup dark ale. It was my buddy's first (and only) attempt at bottling, and we are pretty sure it happened during that process (tasted fine when sampled at secondary transfer). I suspect the bottling spigot was the culprit, because EVERY bottle of the 5 gallon batch was a gusher. He actually drank a couple, but I couldn't get through one and I poured out my share of the batch. Maple syrup ales should NOT be sour! He uses kegs exclusively now.

30. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Aug 1, 2009 Washington

Ranger ipa last night. Well not drain pour, just give away.
    If i wanted a side of sugar with my beer i would drink lindemans! IPA and sugar don't mix!

31. Riverared

Riverared Feb 2, 2012 Alabama

Absolutely torn about drain pouring anything. However, just cracked open a Spike & Jerome's "barley wine"(?). Not a stranger to sours but I was literally unable to drink it. I thought it might have gone south from something bottle related. I usually read other reviews after trying a couple of said beers first. Looked this one up immediately to see if my suspicion of tainting was correct. It's not. Just a REALLY sour (read vinegary) beer. So sad... So sad.

32. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

You must've had a bad bottle of Red Hoptober.
    Never remotely considered it to have that taste.

33. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Nov 13, 2008 Texas

When I first started drinking craft beer I had an Arrogant Bastard and I guess I "wasn't worthy" because I couldn't even handle half of it. Now I think it's great, obviously. Still want to try some Double Bastard.

34. tankg

tankg Apr 27, 2008 Pennsylvania

Received a Leinenkugel case from relatives at a 50th birthday party, because they knew I liked the fancy beer (ie., not bud light). Eventually, brought them out...so, pretty much all poured, but the true enemy, was something called Fireside Nut Brown. Be afraid ...

Of good breweries, I drank it down, but not looking for another ImmortAle any time soon. But I love DFH for shizzle.... A Salud!

35. Dannywhitewash

Dannywhitewash Dec 19, 2010 Ohio

I bought 3 bottles when it first came out. What a mistake! That crap is still sitting on the shelves here.

36. Krakistophales

Krakistophales Mar 17, 2011 California

Just from recent memory:

Southern Tier creme brulee. Don't get me wrong, I feel like they hit all the right flavors of a creme brulee in a stout, and I actually liked the first half of the bottle, but this thing should really be an 8 oz. bottle or less.

Southern tier pumking. The creamy buttery pie crust action going on was just way too much, tasted like I was drinking an old biscuit.

Goose Island Night stalker. Jesus christ, what do they put in this thing to give it that skunky aftertaste? It was just terrible.

Dogfish head 120 min IPA. This thing is a rum raisin cake on meth. Absolutely undrinkable sugar bomb.

Dogfish head Ta henket. Smells and tastes like drinking old sweaty socks.

Dogfish head Pangaea. WTF kind of flavor is this supposed to impart?

For both Dogfish head La Antonia and Festina Peche, it's probably just because I don't like pilsner or sour styles, so I'm not gonna rag on these, it might be a matter of personal taste.

Brew dog dogma. I just don't understand the idea behind this one at all. Are there actually people out there that like this beer and are able to discern flavors from it?

37. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

Punkin-I poured it in the yard, I didn't want to hurt the bacteria in my septic tank. I took one swallow of it, spit it out and had to rinse my mouth.
    I have recently re-visited some DFH beers I really hated a couple of years ago. I just don't like them now, maybe I've run across worse beers. I was able to drink a taster glass of 120 minute, but at $5 for a 4 oz glass there's no way I would have bought it, and a friend gave me a bottle of 90 minute that wan't as bad as I remembered.

DaveAnderson likes this.
  38. JohnDMartin

JohnDMartin Jan 13, 2013 Kentucky

Almost every IPA DIPA or anything close when I get home from working a midnight. I dont know what the deal is but I cant handle them in the morning (night for me). Tried a couple and thought they were light struck then tried them another day and they were fine... First occurance was Bells two hearted ale.

39. OUJayhawk1799

OUJayhawk1799 Jan 25, 2013 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

I typically like most of the Oklahoma stuff, but I dumped Coop's Horny Toad almost immediately. I'd be willing to try it again as I'm not sure how long the person had it before giving it to me.

Not Oklahoma, but I also dumped Avery's - The Czar. Again, I'm hoping it was just not as fresh as it needed to be, but it was terrible the one and only time I tried it.

40. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe