Drain pour tales...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlaskanYoung

AlaskanYoung Dec 1, 2011 Arkansas

Infected night stalker two days ago

2. ggfunk

ggfunk Mar 29, 2010 Oregon

12.12.12 was for me, unfortunately. I did drink about half...but it was not pleasant.

MAbeerNE1 likes this.
  3. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Oct 1, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I've never had a drain pour yet.....but I was close with Rogues peanut butter chocolate banana.

4. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Just had a drain pour tonight. Friendship Brew from Green Flash/St. Feuillien. I was excited to try this beer, but it was just awful. Way too many "spices" going on in that one. Down the drain it went.

5. pcguitarwzrd

pcguitarwzrd Jan 28, 2013 Florida

Bud Light Premium. Didn't want to knock it till I tried it. Got about half the bottle down, which is more than I can say for most Anheuser-Busch products.

6. julian

julian May 31, 2008 Washington

I usually drain pour Bruery beers, and for that reason I don't buy/seek/trade for them ever anymore. Last drain pour was Rueuze - complete abomination of a beer. So incredibly bad that it's insulting to the actual style they claim similarity to. Also, whatever style it is, as a beverage it's just plain undrinkable. Drain poured after about 2-3 sips.

Next up, MORE Bruery beers, but this time a collab with Cigar City...in the form of 3 beers!

Tried Dos Costas Oeste beers all in the same night (every one but the orange wood). All drain pours.

Also of note, the grapefruit wood one GUSHED like a yellowstone geyser. Lost half the bottle right off the bat. Unbelievable...well, not really I expect it from Bruery, but still...never seen such an overcarbonated gushing mess of a beer before that.

BAstoutsNsours likes this.
  7. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Sep 21, 2012 Florida

As a huge CCB fan and regular here, I have to agree. The Dos Costas variants were fucking awful and I hated every one of them. Although I actually like Rueuze, it doesn't hold its own against the greats (Cantillon, De Cam, 3F). Due to price/quality, I have also stopped seeking out Bruery beers and will trade the rest of what I have. I hated both Black Tuesday and Chocolate Rain (I've had every year of each), and just think they are WAY too boozy and sweet to be enjoyable. There are few beers above 15% ABV I find are well executed, the last one was BB Monster 29 @ 17%, that beer was awesome, but it was an exception for me.

julian likes this.
  8. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Jun 28, 2011 Oklahoma

Yeah, Coop's Horny Toad is just a better version of an adjunct lager. It's made to be a lawnmower beer for those who like something a bit more, but don't cruise around on lawnmowers with DIPA's as we do. Horny Toad has it's place, and is a definite gateway craft here in our state of Oklahoma (3.2% abv max laws in the grocery and gas stations). It serves it's purpose, and if you lived in this state you could see what great work they are doing with this beer....Trying to convert. I've personally never tried Horny Toad, scared. Been tempted but I was always talked out of it by my main bottle shop guy at Biergarten.

9. audioserf

audioserf Sep 3, 2010 Connecticut

Stone's Belgo-Anise IRS was so rubbish that I couldn't even force myself to drink it to justify the money I spent on it.

10. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Apr 9, 2009 Texas

Celis Raspberry. The only beer ever where I couldn't take more than two sips. First bottle, first sip - WTF? Second sip to be sure - oh hell no. Pour bottle in drain. Couple days later. Repeat with second bottle. Threw away the last four. They should be ashamed for releasing such filth as beer. The six pack was $10 too, could have gotten a 12pk of miller lite for that.

11. BMitch

BMitch Jul 10, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Same here. My brother and I both couldn't finish our pours.

Oh well.. I do remember it tasting better on draft, but just couldn't handle it from the bottle this time.

12. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Ok, having this whiskey barrel brew by Indian Wells Brewing inspired this one.

and i have to say, it has to be the worst beer experience ive had so far. Wishing someone was here to make sure my taste buds arent off. Only had a 22oz of adelberts flyin monk before this so i cant believe that my taste buds can be this off. Its so bad i cant even figure out WHATS bad. No barrel taste, no ale taste, no whiskey flavor, just some GOD AWFUL taste i cant even stomach.

the nose is about the same as the taste but i still cant place the awfulness. Formalgahide maybe? even my tongue is tingling with every sip.

I hate this brew more than any hop forward beer, not even a quarter through my first glass(which is less than half a bottle) and im pouring this fucker. (and even with styles i hate, i dont usually pour them out) so this ones a special kind of bad.

Anyone else have some recent finds that are just fucking horrible?

tx_beer_man and champ103 like this.
  13. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Ya... I had that one right when it came out and it had a crazy tobacco and cheap cherry whiskey flavor to it. I enjoyed an ounce or so of it but I bet that it is absolutely terrible now.

The pits for me was Bayhawk Ales Chocolate Porter... I want to vomit thinking about it. It tasted like olives, vinegar and satan's sweaty ballsac. I'd gladly drink my own urine before ever having that beer again. I dared a friend to drink two ounces and I'd pay his tab... he said it wasn't worth it and he had a nice tab that night.

14. kmello69

kmello69 Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Busted open a New Belgium Transatlantic Kriek at a tasting recently, and found it to be awful. Watery, flavorless and almost no sourness at all. VERY disappointing (glad I didn't pay the $13 for it)

Riccymon, Clonies720 and champ103 like this.
  15. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Ha, that is what you get with Indian Wells.;)

It is a tough call for me...sad to say there are a lot of bad beers out there. For me, off the shelf, it has to be BrewDog Storm or Tactical Nuclear Penguin. Both horrid experiences.

At a bar it has to be in Scotland. This pub had a "Cask Marque." This is suppose to tell consumers what bars/pubs have the best quality cask beers determined by CAMRA (they are not looking at selection, just quality of the cask they serve). It was a pub with two cask engines. Bass and Timothy Taylor. I have never had a Bass on cask before, so I ordered one. It tasted of vinegar and nail polish. Tried the Tim Taylor, same thing, only more sulfur and rotten eggs.

Clearly signs of horribly kept casks. I sent an email to the CAMRA website, cause I know they don't always updated some of their marque pubs. In about a month, this place had their marque taken down.

Clonies720 and blatherbeard like this.
  16. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

You win... in the most terrible of ways.

Clonies720 and blatherbeard like this.
  17. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I have had some of my favorite beers on cask in Scotland, and some of the worst on cask. I expect crappy quality from a place without a marque. Though a place that has the marque, and still some of the worst that I have had...that is not going to cut it. That is what made the experience so bad (the UK in general takes the marque very seriously)

mattisloco likes this.
  18. 5thOhio

5thOhio May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Fortunately, I can't remember my most God awful beer experience. Other than waking up the next morning and wishing I had skipped the night before.

ressling likes this.
  19. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Didn't like Storm? First few sips I didn't get it. It was like chewing on a burnt stick. Once I powered through that the IPA flavor started coming through. Then I started enjoying it. TNP was okay and had a very similar flavor as Storm and the Paradox series. Super peaty to say the least.

I'd say the worst beer was that odd bleu cheese tasting beer from Alpine someone brought to Gingerman. I think Champ103 was there that day. Something went horribly wrong!

champ103 likes this.
  20. lefty12

lefty12 Feb 6, 2010 Texas

My 2 worst experiences would be NB Super Cru and the Voodoo Maple Bacon Dounut beer. The Super Cru was a complete mess. VMBC was good for about a sip, then it was like liquid smoke and taint. I shared it with some friends and after the novelty of it wore off, I couldnt give it away.

21. wsnich

wsnich Apr 26, 2010 Texas

Mikkeller Black Buffalo - PURE ACETONE. Its like he took a canister of acetone, filled up a bottle, and put a cap on it. The bar refused to refund the $20 and said "its supposed to taste like that".

22. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Sep 6, 2010 Texas

Ranger Creek Small Batch #3, the infected version. Followed by Real Ale Black Quad... yeah, I know it was amazingly popular but I'm not influenced by the masses... it was horrible imo. Both were drain pours followed closely by the hoppy real ale brewers cut. I know that wasn't just me either. I had people trying to give it to me as I was trying to give it to them.... nobody enjoyed that imo.

23. Cablejelly

And let me follow this up with VooDoo Doughnut V2 (the chocolate, peanut butter, banana version). One of the most horrid beers ever made!

24. air

air Mar 28, 2007 Texas

Think it's near-universally agreed that the Rogue pink bottle Voodoo Donut beers are complete disasters. I also can't stand anything Rogness makes, pretty much blacklisted any of their beer and it'll take a lot for me to want to try again. Especially the Gigantophis- perfectly matches the definition of a diacetyl bomb.

25. Cablejelly

That's quite funny, the whole post. I'm drinking a Gigantophis right now. It's a tad old, more barley wine, and not as hoppy as it once was but still a good beer. I'd equate it to maharaja tbh. As far as the voodoo doughnut, I love, and I mean LOVE bacon maple... I know I'm in the minority, as in it's only me, but to each his own.... the smoke above everything else is what drew me in.

I'm not saying your opinion is funny, just the fact that I'm enjoying what you oh so hate, right at this moment... I'm also a huge fan of rogness holiday and rook. So much so that I went all out tracking down as much holiday as I could find and even bought a thistle glass to enjoy rook. Maybe it's the peaty, smokey malt that drives you away from this not so standard scotch ale?

Anyway, thanks for shedding some light on the Giganthopis deal. I couldn't understand for the life of me why everyone hated it so much.... I guess I've just been lucky and avoided the butter bombs of the batch ;)

26. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Not the worst beer ever, but most recentl horrible beer I had was Fantome Hiver. Liquid Tires.

27. darky

darky Apr 16, 2010 South Dakota

28. Tmonk13

Tmonk13 Mar 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

18 month old hopslam......straggler got hidden behind a large beer run. Most awful thing I've had

on second thought DFH Festina Peche makes me want to never drink another beer again...

29. HopAG

HopAG Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

As a man who takes his Pumpkin beers incredibly seriously, I found that Buffalo Bill's "pumpkin" ale was absolutely terrible.

It was watery, Vinegary, and so thin. To make things worse however they sprinkle a tiny bit of all-spice in it to give me more of the pumpkin pie taste. You can't sprinkle on all-spice on shit and expect it to magically be a pumpkin beer.

I really take my pumpkin beers seriously

30. Spaten454

Spaten454 Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Only one for me, '12 dark lord. the worst beer I've ever had and the biggest disappointment. To think of what I traded so I could try my first dark lord.
    It smelled kinda stale after we opened it. it tasted like stale stout mixed with olive juice and a cup of sugar. none of my friends liked it and no one wanted to pour it out bc it was a dark lord.

31. DanzBorin

I
    think you got a bad batch. I had this in NOLA and liked it a lot.

32. Spaten454

Beer Trader

Where did you get fantome in new orleans? avenue pub maybe?

33. DanzBorin

Yup, Avenue. Steins has them for sale too.

34. wittyname

wittyname Aug 4, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I must have gotten the same bad batch.

Also, Brew Dog Bitch Please.

35. Spaten454

Beer Trader

Ill have to send some friends to steins for me haha

36. Inchay

Inchay Feb 24, 2012 California

Went to visit the Mother-in-Law last year in Newport, KY *sigh*. Fortunately, she lives within walking distance of the Party Source in Bellevue! My first day there, I went on a beer buying rampage :).

Among the many, many beers I purchased was an Abita Purple Haze. I seriously hope the bottle I purchased was a bad one, because the beer was absolutely undrinkable.

The aroma reminded me of durian (read: sweaty feet), which I can deal with (I'm half Filipino, it's nothing new to me). But the flavor, mother of all atrocities I say, tasted like rain water with a healthy dose of mildew. I still get nauseous when I think about it....

37. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Feb 16, 2013 Michigan

Heady "Drain" Topper had at a blind tasting along with Hopslam, Double Crooked Tree and Devil Dancer. It looks like theres something growing in it seriously it looks so bad I almost didn't even try it but the guy that brought it said it was fresh. On top of everything else the brewer is lazy and didn't want the beer seen so they wrote drink from the can. Heady would have been fed to the grass but since it was a tasting someone else drank it. Hopslam was the clear winner and also the only one I thought was even decent. The guy who brought the heady picked it as his number 1 but I'm guessing he knew what it looked like so it wasn't a truly blind tasting for him. Because of the tasting I'm convinced people are just going along with the crowd and tasting the hype with heady. Try Hopslam instead if you can still find some from this year it's been bad every other year but this years was good. Anyone who doesn't want to believe me try a truly blind tasting with all of these where you put paper on the glasses or something so you can't tell which is which by how the beer looks.

38. BB1313

BB1313 Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout is probably the beer I dislike the most..

39. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I've had it like 3 times. First time kinda bad, 2nd time getting worse, and 3rd time gag reflex.

40. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

storm is terrible and i am not sure why it is not retired?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe