Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Drain pour tales...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krl2112

krl2112 Nov 10, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

So I really like Central Waters Brewery however I recently tried their bourbon barrel barleywine and I thought it was awful. Now let me first say that this was my first barleywine I had ever tried but I just was not a fan. It poured extremely thick and was chewy. It also had an extreme alcohol aftertaste. I even let it rest and warm up a little to see if would taste any different and it was still bad in my opinion. I guess I will need to try another brew, perhaps Bolt Cutter to see if it was just this one or I simply don't like barleywines, but I had to pour this one out.
  2. MN_Beerticker

MN_Beerticker Jul 10, 2012 Minnesota

Shock Top End Of the World Midnight Wheat only lasted for two swigs. The concept of chocolate and chili works... just not in this swill.
  3. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Oct 21, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

gigaknight Yeah? That beer ruined my credit, screwed my sister, and threw up in the trunk of my car.
    Alright, all three of those were actually me, but the beer is also to blame.

Wait what? am I the only one who caught that?
  4. Dannywhitewash

Dannywhitewash Dec 19, 2010 Ohio

I must be the only insane one here.. I LOVED pumking. Weird..
  5. thecraftculture

thecraftculture Nov 28, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat...drainage.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  6. krl2112

Beer Trader

One other brew I had to drain pour was Stone Ruination. I know it is a great IPA but it wasjust way too hoppy for me. I guess I don't like hoppy beers very much but I did have PtE two days ago and enjoyed it much more. I could not even get through a couple of sips of the Stone. Just my humble opinion but I know many people like the Stone brew.
  7. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania

Don't drain pour Hop Wallop, you! Don't even try it.
  8. krl2112

Beer Trader

I also drain poured Sam Adams 13th Hour. It was just not something I enjoyed either. It wasn't that I thought it was horrible, just not worth drinking when I have many other great brews in my cellar. But I can cross that one off my list now too!
  9. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Jan 1, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I dont agree at all. I think they still make pretty damn good beer. Although, my favorites definitely seem to be the older brews (Indian Brown and Chicory Stout). I need to try their 750s. I dont think they sacrificed their standards at all. Sam seems like a genuinely nice guy and still VERY passionate. I think its awesome how creative he is.
  10. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Jan 1, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I wish they didnt change their recipe. I liked how low the malt was in the profile. Now it just tastes a run of the mill IPA.
  11. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

Great Divide Hercules DIPA. Took a risk with no date on it and got burned badly. This wasn't a case of snobbery because the beer was more than 10 minutes old. Rather, it really tasted like they somehow forgot to add hops completely. 0 bitterness.

My other horror story involves Boaks Monster Mash. Tasted like Pup-peroni treats.
  12. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Feb 24, 2011 Wyoming

I would sincerely hope their collaboration with Birra Del Borgo and La Baladin is to be admired. For what it is worth, Dogfish Head is thus far the first to collaborate with any Italian breweries.
  13. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Feb 24, 2011 Wyoming

I had to drain pour this twice:

Sadly because both bottles were infected! I had this on tap and it was truly amazing! Quite sad to have both bottles infected...
  14. BikeChef

BikeChef Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

Yes, it was. I still remember the awful murky, brown appearance of the Abita Christmas Ale last year. And the taste was just as bad. Ended up pouring that whole six-pack down the drain.
  15. jebsinger

jebsinger Nov 15, 2012 Minnesota

I'm kinda shocked that people don't like Dragons Milk. I like the stuff a lot.

as for me my first beer(thanks to my grandfathers humor) was Bud. that got spewed in the direction of the drain...
    and the Rouge Voodoo bacon maple poison hellfirewaste of money also was dumped rather than poured...
  16. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania

I severely disagree. Sorry.
  17. e30todamax

e30todamax Oct 5, 2012 Virginia

dogfish head noble rot, and voodoo were my last 2
  18. Jynxbaby

Jynxbaby Jan 12, 2011 Texas

Thats funny/sad you should say that...I had to drain pour their Monks Brew. Really flat and pretty sour (not in a good way). The thing that sucks is you're out a good amount of money. Their stuff isnt cheap.

19. trevorjk

trevorjk Aug 28, 2009 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

Sprecher Shakparo. holy bad horribe beer
  20. Freshlikeugh

Freshlikeugh Jul 30, 2012 Hawaii

had a blueberry wheat bout 2 years back, thought id giv anutha one a try. bought me a pack of dat wild blue...aint no room fo that in my fridge. i gave sum to my boy d-kwon and he thought it was mikes hard or sumthin...he dum though

just look at it, that shit purple!
  21. accordselux

accordselux Nov 26, 2007 Minnesota

Maybe just try an American style and an English style barleywine without the barrel aging first?
  22. stealth

stealth Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

last drain pour that I can remember was Spaten Optimator. I had never tried a dopplebock before and was excited to try it. I poured a glass and all I got from the nose was 'skunk'. Drinking it tasted like 'liquid skunk', then I started gagging. Pretty sure I got a bad bottle, but haven't had the courage to try it again.
  23. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Aug 20, 2012

I love stouts. Today I picked up 2 four-paks of Ten Fidy & a beer I have not had but is relatively well regarded... Bells Expedition Stout. I had a cold CCB Jai Alai w/ lunch as the stouts got a little chill on them. Cracked open an expedition stout. Rotten Fruit. 3 sips...C ya. Down the drain. Tastes like bad gravy (is that a band)...sippin a Fidy...yeah baby! FT : bells expedition stout.
    joeseppy likes this.
  24. eggs

eggs Mar 10, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I had the unfortunate experience of pouring half of a Congac BA Dark Lord de Muerte down the drain. I wanted to like it based on the BA DL reputation and the $50 price tag but my bottle tasted like spicy soy sauce. I had to do it.
  25. SteinberKimmie

SteinberKimmie Apr 18, 2012 California

The malt profile can impart hints of nutmeg and cinnamon, but vinegar is definitely not a desired flavor. If you're able to tell us when and where you bought it, we'd appreciate it.

Steinber Kimmie
  26. SteinberKimmie

SteinberKimmie Apr 18, 2012 California

Thanks for sharing, could you tell us when and where you purchased it? It will help us better address the situation as these two instances are the first we've heard of with our Winter Solstice this season.

Steinber Kimmie
  27. colts9016

colts9016 Jul 2, 2007 Nevada
    Beer Trader

Leinenkugel Snowdrift Vanilla Porter. The acrid overtone and leather is just too much for me finish. Sorry Leinenkugel
  28. ChugginOil

ChugginOil Sep 23, 2010 Illinois

Three Floyds Bull Guppy. My friend described it the best. "Peach scnhapps aged on spent anal beads and cockroaches". Bull Guppy, meet my garbage disposal. I am die harRd Floyds but my god, what posessed them to bottle & sell it!?
  29. Ricochet

Ricochet Jul 2, 2004 Ohio

A few years back, sadly I got three separate bad beers from three different locations all from the same, now defunct brewery. I'm speaking of Iron City Brewing. Got Falls City in Louisville, and JJ Wainwright's Evil Eye Honey Brown (like the pup is holding in my avatar) and Augustiner. Brewed different dates, all turned up tasting sour. I had been buying these beers for years. I e-mailed the brewery and they e-mailed me back with "likely storage". 56 cans down the drain in one day.

Recently it was a Cleveland brewery "Indigo Imp" that was pretty bad. Haven't gone back.
  30. robwater

robwater Jan 14, 2012 Colorado

I once couldn't stand 2 oz of oxygen. I spit it back out and went back to photosynthesis.
  31. RutgersBeerGuy

RutgersBeerGuy Jan 16, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

1. Shipyard Pumpkinhead. Foul stuff.

2. Southern Tier Raspberry Porter. Nothing there. It's like a fizzy, artificial raspberry soda.
  32. supermodified

supermodified Nov 28, 2012 Ohio

New Holland Cabin Fever brown ale was something I should've drain poured. My impression was, "They could not have intended it to taste like this." Instead of pouring it out the entire six, I chugged a bottle (to take the edge off) and moved on to other things. Fortunately, it didn't kill me.

Recently I tried an Evil Twin The Cowboy smoked pilsener bomber. That was pretty vile. It tasted like liquid smoke (Not hickory or mesquite; more like old shipping pallets) with a little beer mixed in, and left dark brown sediment in the glass. Gak.
  33. kingmaker

kingmaker Nov 20, 2012 Louisiana

Just the one, Full Sail Session Lager, it didn't appear infected but it must have been, it tasted BAD for you, just terrible.

Finished but at what cost?
    Stone Belgo Anise IRS
    Wild Blue

I did enjoy a lot of the beers mentioned frequently here though, DFH's spiced beers, Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple, etc.
  34. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Nov 11, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Bear Republic Racer X had been a DIPA I was searching to find for a long time and was one i never saw, or possibly overlooked, here in Ohio, where Bear Rep. distributes to. I received a bomber of the 2012 Vintage a few months back in a trade as an extra. I ecstatic to receive it but I threw it in my cellar and finally cracked it open last night. Poured swiftly, there was no head at all to the beer, which kinda surprised me. After taking the first few sips, I asked my gf to try it..and she, like me, loves IPAs. Her thoughts mirrored mine and we both agreed that this IPA was no good...boring and flat. Now, I will be willing to try this again simply because I may have had a bad bottle or I let it sit too long. Either way, the bomber was poured out and I proceeded to my next beer...

Does anyone else have a bad experience with this or did I set my expectations too high?? Keep in mind, I drink fresh Head Hunter and White Rajah on a regular basis. I know Racer X is not the same caliper IPA, but I know good IPAs when I try them and this one ended up being a very rare pour down the drain.
  35. CincinnatiChris

CincinnatiChris Nov 30, 2012

Three Philosophers.. really couldn't stand it.
  36. Jules11788

Jules11788 Feb 15, 2011 California

Your post literally made me laugh out loud
  37. Jules11788

Jules11788 Feb 15, 2011 California

Racer X is awesome fresh (as is the case with every IPA/DIPA), but why would you cellar a DIPA? That's probably what the problem was. Next time make sure you get a super fresh bottle and drink it ASAP
  38. KJabo

KJabo Aug 8, 2012 Illinois

Voodoo Doughnut and New Hollands Charkoota Rye....both in the same night. I bought them before reading about them.

I opened up Charkoota Rye and it immediately started foaming over and I got it on my hands. It smelled foul from the get go, took the smallest taste possible, rinsed my mouth out and drain poured it. Washed my hands with Dawn and still smelled it hours later...
  39. Mister_Joshy

Mister_Joshy May 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Voodoo Doughnut for me. I was worried when I bought it, but I wanted to give it a chance. It did not go over well.
    Stinger80OH likes this.
  40. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Jun 28, 2011 Oklahoma

Fantom Hiver, we got a bad batch here, smelled like fingernail polish remover,tasted worse. I Drain poured this travesty. Bought another bottle just to make sure the first wasn't bad. Same thing, drain poured it too. Distributor has since pulled the cases/bottles lol. Terrible mess up from the brewery I'm sure, but this is unacceptable. Kinda wish I could get my $28 back, but I'd more so want a fixed Fantome.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!