Drie Fonteinen LambikOdroom to close April 1 - Oct. 1, 2012

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by UncleJimbo, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Poo-Bah (3,734) Sep 11, 2002 Massachusetts
    Moderator Society Trader Fest Crew

As posted on this link.

From what I have heard, the shop will still be open on the weekends for carry-out, but you will not be able to sit in the Odroom and drink beer, nor will you be able to take a brewery tour except on special occasions (such as Belgian Beer Weekend in September). The page indicates that Odroom will reopen after October 1, 2012, but what I heard is that it is not going to reopen as a tasting room at all.

Also, if you were planning to go there this weekend, you might want to call because what I heard is that the Odroom will be closed this weekend, too, contrary to what it states on their web page.

Sad news.

2. shadowane

shadowane Initiate (101) Sep 7, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

So does anyone know what the deal with this is? Visiting Drie Fonteinen was one of the things I was looking forward to when I went to Belgium in May and according to this it would just be a waste of time.

3. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Initiate (0) May 29, 2005 Ohio

Based on this news I consider myself lucky to have been one of the last customers, having visited the tasting room yesterday.

One important point from that visit: The restaurant and the Lambic Droom have switched places in terms of vintage selections. I had 1997 Oude Gueuze with dinner in the restaurant, but the oldest I found in the tasting room was 2007.

4. UncleJimbo

I heard that they are building a brewery where the old shop was located, and the shop will move to where the Lambikodroom was located. So, I would not expect the Odroom to ever come back, but you never know, I guess, esp. with Armand. :wink:

5. shadowane

Trader

Is it still worth visiting that area anymore with the tasting room closed? Unfortunately The Beersel brewery is only open on Saturday so there doesn't seem to be much else to do there.

6. UncleJimbo

Oud Beersel brewery is definitely worth a visit, and you have the old standbys of the Drie Fonteinen restaurant, In De Oud Pruim, Centrum, and Café Camping. Believe it or not, beer lovers used to visit Beersel long before the Lambikodroom opened.

7. yesferro

yesferro Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2008 Mississippi

Same here, i meant to go in June.

I'll sure keep an eye on this thread

8. JoeinUccle

JoeinUccle Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2007 Costa Rica

With the shop still there and the restaurant open, I'm not sure why anyone would think a visit to 3 Fonteinen would ever be a waste of time. But if it means fewer visitors there to slow down Armand from making more beer, then maybe that perception will turn out to be a positive.

UncleJimbo likes this.
  9. shadowane

Trader

I didn't mean to sound negative. If there's still plenty there to visit, then I'm still interested in going.

10. beerdweeb

beerdweeb Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2010 California

So the restaurant / shop are still open at the regular hours and the tasting room is now shut? Going next month, just need some clarification.

11. JoeinUccle

JoeinUccle Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2007 Costa Rica

Correct, and apologies if my original reply sounded a bit harsh, that wasn't my intent. Generally the restaurant is closed Tues and Wed and open all other days from noon to 3pm and 6pm-9:30pm. You can stop in for a beer between 3 and 6 but food will be scarce.

12. UncleJimbo

I hope to have more information later today from Armand. I will keep everyone posted if anything new.

13. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (209) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

I'll second In De Oud Pruim, spent a wonderful afternoon there a couple years ago.

14. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (209) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

There's a large group (32) of us from the western Philly 'burbs going over to Brugge the second half of May.

15. gueuzer

gueuzer Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2010 Colorado

I'll second that the place had good atmosphere and food, but they only had black label Girardin when I was there (albeit close to two years ago). Have they since upped their lambic/gueuze selection?

16. shadowane

Trader

Yeah I know. I've talked to Bryan about it. Once my wife and I have our plans settled, I'll post here and contact him again and probably try set up a meeting for one of the nights we're in Brugge.

As for this, it seems like it's still worth a visit as far as I can tell.

17. callmemickey

callmemickey Meyvn (1,228) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania

The restaurant is definitely still worth visiting... kriekenlambiek, 1997 oude geuze, and probably the best carbonnade I've ever had.

18. kscaldef

kscaldef Meyvn (1,189) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

I was wondering if there are any updates to this, or if anyone can provide a definitive answer to when the shop and restaurant are open currently. I've seen some posts suggesting that the shop is only open on the weekends, and I will be in Brussels on a Thursday and Friday. I'm wondering what the best options may be for getting a chance to drink some things there and also for buying bottles to-go.

19. beerdweeb

beerdweeb Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2010 California

Bottle shop is open Fri-Sat. We went on a Monday to the restaurant and they took us to the bottle shop after lunch. Restaurant hours are still the same as posted above.

UncleJimbo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.