News Drinking alcohol more effective than exercise for living a long life, study finds

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ClePaul, Feb 21, 2018.

1. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (540) May 30, 2013 Ohio

2. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Crusader (758) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)

The key, as with most things, is moderation. Drinking a few beer a day could definitely be beneficial in that it can help us cope with stress, which in itself is a huge killer.

With that said though, exercise can do the same and more...

Why not hit the gym in the morning and cap the day off with a nice beer :wink:

Jpingy, pro100, TheBrewsky and 10 others like this.
  3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,040) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

But - the article says alcohol or wine, but no specific mention of beer. Seems like they mean liquor when they say alcohol. Granted, beer has alcohol but perhaps other aspects of beer make it less worthy than alcohol or wine.

PorterPro125 likes this.
  4. Cnote_crafty_1

Cnote_crafty_1 Aspirant (236) Apr 8, 2015 Pennsylvania

oh man, there is always a new study huh? One says boose is bad, the other says it's good, who is to say?

5. Cnote_crafty_1

Cnote_crafty_1 Aspirant (236) Apr 8, 2015 Pennsylvania

Ha!, I had both today, boose and exercise!!

alucard6679 likes this.
  6. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,446) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

Well, I'm going to be changing my workouts! 12 ounce curls have actually meaning for fitness now!

dcotom and PatrickCT like this.
  7. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (648) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

1-2 beers a day

12-19000 steps a day

5-7 pounds overweight

I am going to live forever

Enjoy

8. rozzom

rozzom Crusader (702) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

12 step days must be pretty chill

crob3888, Bisco42, Boldbrew and 18 others like this.
  9. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,670) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

So science has finally caught up to the wisdom of our father's and grandfather's old saying of everything in moderation?

This reminds me of eggs and milk. I am 42 years old and those two things have gone back and forth between being good and bad for us for as long as I can remember.

10. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (648) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Thats 12K.

Enjoy

11. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (217) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I too wonder how beer fits into this study, as carbs and calories are up there vs other forms of alcohol.

I exercise regularly and have been very active for all of my life. But truth be told I know way too many marathon runners and people who were in great physical shape drop dead at way too young of an age. On the flip side I know many regular Whiskey drinkers who lived for an awfully long time... I won't change my ways, though, as physically I feel great and exercise gives me a natural high that I don't get from much else. But I don't think low to moderate drinking will do much damage to MOST people (where it gets tricky is cancer and a recent study was downright scary when it comes to drinking and some cancers).

Eh like most things in life much of it seems to come down to simply the luck of the draw.

12. rozzom

rozzom Crusader (702) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I know - the technical term for my post is “dad joke”

crob3888, Bisco42, jtodeasa and 5 others like this.
  13. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (424) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

The articles I found referenced beer or wine, specifically, on this study:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...ng-alcohol-living-past-90-20180220-story.html

"Researchers discovered that subjects who drank about two glasses of beer or wine a day were 18 percent less likely to experience a premature death, the Independent reports."

I should be good to go, honestly... Especially when you factor in the...

"While those who drank two cups of coffee a day cut that risk by 10 percent" - Check.

"Subjects who kept busy with a daily hobby two hours a day were 21 percent less likely to die early" - Usually, check. One of which involves exercise (drumming).

"Participants who exercised 15 to 45 minutes a day, cut the same risk by 11 percent." - I would say at least 5 days a week we make sure to get our 10,000+ steps by walking at the zoo or with the dogs. Plus the drumming thing and such...

Lastly... "Participants who were slightly overweight — but not obese — cut their odds of an early death by 3 percent." - Probably a hair on the heavy end of that spectrum, so I will say at least that one is a null so I won't count in that 3%...

Not to mention the studies on dark chocolate, which I love, among all the other oddities that increase your lifespan. I eat my veggies every day and avoid fast food and all that other stuff usually, so I should be on track to 100+ if I don't have a massive coronary before then.

Time to celebrate I suppose! Bought some Hop Bullet to crack into tonight alongside some Trillium after work. Will be a good night! Cheers to being healthy on beer, y'all!

BeastOfTheNortheast and meanmutt like this.
  14. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,595) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Mens Health years ago had about the same gist. Moderate consumption was good for you, the risk factors went up for tee totalers and heavy drinkers. They cited alcohol had some impact on lowering LDL numbers in the cholesterol.

15. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (809) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

In a study from the No Fucking Way This Is Accurate Institute . . .

pro100, bella1956, GetMeAnIPA and 6 others like this.
  16. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (83) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Trader

I know a 90 year old lady who drinks at least 2-3 High Lifes a day and has for as long as I've known her (18+ years).

I think I am going to live forever, then, because I go to the gym and then go home and have one or two. I am the highlander

fehrminator and rozzom like this.
  17. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine only having one or two beers.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  18. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (83) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Trader

I'm playing the long game, thanks to the science in this article I can now comfortably say I am going to be immortal, so, 1-2 beers over the course of eternity is more than 5-6 over the average mortals lifespan

frozyn, rozzom and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  19. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,570) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

If I observe where the leaves land as they fall from a tree on a particular day with a particular wind speed and direction there will be a pattern that all leaves fall into. That doesn't mean I can point to a particular leaf on the tree and say this leaf will land in a particular spot on the ground. I can say the pattern of leaf fall will be different under different conditions, but again I can't say much about where one particular leaf will fall.

20. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (176) Nov 10, 2015 New York

I'm sure the double IPA's, Barleywines and Imperial stouts at 12-15% are great for our health :slight_smile: I average 16,000 steps a day BECAUSE of my Craft Beer Consumption.

Harrison8 and rozzom like this.
  21. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Do you have to walk somewhere to get beer?

22. beer_beer

beer_beer Initiate (172) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Premium

Taking my chances. Quit alcohol three months ago, but got this exciting hobby! Cutting 20% expectancy for quitting and adding 20% for the hobby, things are evening out!

By the way, started going to the gym yesterday, after a long break. And haven't quit caffeine.

#22 beer_beer, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    jacmicwag likes this.
  23. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (176) Nov 10, 2015 New York

Nope, those are all car rides. The huge building for work, coupled with running, working out helps to work off the beer.

Harrison8 and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  24. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (538) Mar 28, 2009 California

My great grandpa would drink/sip one shot of whisky everyday. He lived into his 90s. However, he suffered from Alzheimer’s. Sometimes I think I’d rather die a bit young because it’s either your mind or body goes first.

25. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (108) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Beer is generally unhealthy. What I can become in a matter of months if I were to drink even a few beers a day without exercise....is a white doughy mess.

26. nicoolaa

nicoolaa Initiate (54) Jun 17, 2017 France
    Trader