News Drinking Buddies (Trailer); Movie available on iTunes/On Demand July 25, theaters August 23, 2013

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,380) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

There's been a few threads over the past year about this movie, which contains a lot of beer drinking and brewery scenes; within a romantic comedy plot. For those interested, here's the official trailer that was released today. Drinking Buddies will be available on iTunes/On Demand July 25 and in theaters August 23, 2013.

Brewery scenes were filmed at Revolution Brewing in Chicago, IL back in July 2012, as mentioned in the following Facebook post.
    Related Links:
    http://www.magpictures.com/drinkingbuddies/
    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/drinkingbuddies/
    https://www.facebook.com/drinkingbuddiesmovie

2. BBAVUSO21

BBAVUSO21 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2013 New York

brew brew and more brew. love it

3. Mersh

Mersh Zealot (531) Mar 10, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I'm in!!

4. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (549) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Who cares about beer, Olivia Wilde is in it.

5. bramsdell

bramsdell Aspirant (278) May 27, 2011 North Carolina

Looks like straight trash, yo.

It's a rom-com that cashes in on the craft beer craze and uses it as accessories.

kristougher, azorie, jreindl and 14 others like this.
  6. Etan

Etan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

Movie looks boring, but I like that they used Revolution.

Boonedog and gjoker321 like this.
  7. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (592) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

This! There is also sightings of Half Acre Daisy Cutter and Three Floyd's Zombie Dust in some of screencaps I've seen. Cool to see awesome Chicago craft beer in a movie!

bifrost17 and sholle like this.
  8. hellhammermario

hellhammermario Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 North Carolina

Unless Anna Kendrick is chugging KBS, not interested. Looks pretty meh.

spitshaded likes this.
  9. jplopez21

jplopez21 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Mad reppin revolution.

10. ChanChan

ChanChan Devotee (469) Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I would like to watch this movie!

I saw Olivia at the Tasting Kitchen in Venice California a while back. I was having a Stone Oaked Bastard and a nice steak. I was tempted to go up to her and try and hit on her and act as if I didn't know who she was but I was too chickenshit!!

davelag, Zimm and HisBoyElroy like this.
  11. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

looks like a chick flick oh god

Chaz likes this.
  12. crusian

crusian Crusader (737) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

so... someone explain why it is on itunes before theaters?

13. Gtreid

Gtreid Champion (843) Mar 27, 2008 Florida
    Beer Trader

When I see Olivia Wilde, it makes me think of Homer Simpson drooling.

14. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2013 California

Cause it's gonna suuuuuuuuuck and you'll need to be drunk at home to think it's worth watching.

15. regularjohn

it would still be questionable even at home, and slightly buzzed

16. mfrigon

mfrigon Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 New Hampshire

Look, Does it look like a crappy rom com? Yes. But if I am forced to go to a crappy rom com with my wife it should have craft beer and Olivia Wilde in it. So as far as Rom Coms go, A+ already.

Kwilk, cjs61679, MEW and 10 others like this.
  17. Buff0910

Buff0910 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Alabama

My feelings exactly. Craft beer+Olivia Wilde=Win for us all.

zestd and mfrigon like this.
  18. Thads324

Thads324 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Connecticut

Looks terrible, but I'll see it for beer and especially Olivia wilde

19. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,033) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'd rather drink craft beer than watch it on the big screen. Two thumbs down.

yamar68 likes this.
  20. Beeranator

Beeranator Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

But with BEER so its acceptable for us to watch!

sajaffe1 likes this.
  21. regularjohn

this is true, just gonna have to watch all the parts with beer and fast forward through all the mushy sappy romance parts

Beeranator likes this.
  22. Ivegotmule

Ivegotmule Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 North Carolina

Didn't even have to play the video, you had me at nipples.

23. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

It appears to have a horrid vapid uneventful plot, however may be worth watching to see what Hollywood thinks is going on at a brewery. Sort of like a mystery science theater screening for beer geeks!

24. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

It's the new "straight-to-VHS" or "straight-to-DVD"

25. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

Magnolia Pictures literally releases all their films this way. I actually like it and wish more companies would do it.

26. dsal89

dsal89 Disciple (331) Jul 6, 2008 Indiana
    Beer Trader

ftfy

VonZipper likes this.
  27. hellhammermario

hellhammermario Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 North Carolina

is is? Hardly, muchacho. :cool:

28. BKArmstrong

BKArmstrong Aspirant (270) Jan 21, 2013 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Just because they drink beer in every scene and some of the characters appear to work at a brewery doesn't mean this movie is anything about craft beer. Looks like a weird chick flick where 2 couples are unfaithful to one another because they're shitfaced. Looks terrible.

29. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Bunch of critics in here. It's not about beer, but it involves beer, Olivia Wilde and Anna Kendrick for frak sake. Tell your woman you picked out a chick flick to watch with her and check it out...you might end up enjoying it.

Bigtwin, VonZipper and riemster like this.
  30. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Defender (657) Jan 23, 2010 Maine
    Beer Trader

The only appropriate response thus far and with an MS3000 reference to boot.

Much like beer we have already decided whether or not we like it without having tasted it. I would assume this must have a good script to attract this cast as it is semi indie.

31. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

or you could just watch the old lesbian scenes with Olivia Wilde from the OC and skip a shitty rom com, unless you're one of those guys who uses a hot chick in a movie as an excuse to go see rom coms

BrettHead and riemster like this.
  32. backbaybrewer

backbaybrewer Initiate (148) Feb 26, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

um... clearly becasue it sucks.

33. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (1,608) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

<<Somewhat interested. Maybe a beer movie for me and the wife.

34. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

showed the trailer to my wife. She of course wants to see it. I told her I would go if I can sneak beer in the theater.

35. StarRanger

StarRanger Initiate (151) Nov 27, 2006 North Dakota

Several other movies have been released on itunes or video on demand before a theatrical release. It is done for small budget independent movies as an inexpensive way to get some buzz and people talking about it before the theatrical release.

36. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

They don't have movie+dinner+drinks type places in CA?

37. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

38. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Disciple (383) Feb 18, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I missed this thread and posted in Beer Talk (hopefully that thread is currently getting closed), but here are my thoughts that I posted:

So, based on watching the trailer, it seems like a Romantic Comedy meshed with a Buddy Flick, but I wouldn't expect it to be particularly surprising, plot-wise.

I'm more fascinated by an "Indie" but fairly mainstream Rom/Com that utilizes a craft brewery not only as a backdrop for the film, but as a seeming major plot device. This isn't a story about overweight, weird, bearded, anti-social middle-aged men sitting around dank, poorly-lit warehouses, rattling on and on about this year's hop varieties. This is a story about four good-looking 20-somethings, ambitious enough to get financially involved in craft brewing despite the massive risks, who seem socially competent. And, despite the massive amounts of drinking that appear to go on through the film, I would be shocked if alcoholism came up as a plot element.

The biggest significance for me, though, is that this film serves to indicate that craft brewing, unsurprising to most of us, continues to step further and further into the center of mainstream consciousness. The film doesn't seem to need to describe what a craft brewery is, or why 20-somethings would be involved in such a thing, or any of the nuts-and-bolts of an industry that was, until a few years ago, largely shrouded in mystery, treated as a hobby for anti-social alcoholics. That the craft brewery CAN serve as a backdrop without overwhelming the plot with exposition demonstrates how deeply rooted in the mainstream craft brewing has become.

On a side note, I went to high school with the guy wearing the "Act Like a Fanatic" t-shirt in the brewery. Had no idea he was in this until I saw the trailer.

luwak and foobula like this.
  39. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

I have heard there is one in SD, but I cannot remember the name, but not too many around here

40. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (11,910) Mar 18, 2010 California

They do. Few and far between though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe