Drinking Buddies (Trailer); Movie available on iTunes/On Demand July 25, theaters August 23, 2013

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Jul 28, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

There is a chick flick about everything, now one about beer wahoo..... . Usually in chick flicks the main character guy/ or girl ends up with the guy/girl they really wanted but seemed very unlikely to end up with at the begining of the movie. Then some crap happens, some sort of rough times, hopefully for everyone's sake this portion is funny. Then they end up together and live happily ever after. Just a brewery setting won't make the movie good, but if they make it really funny it could be good. Comedy is the only thing that can salvage a chick flick. Because when watching a chick flick you always know "they end up together". Who are "they"? Well you usually find out during the first few minutes. Its the hot chick who everyone wants and the guy who seems most unlikely to get her.

BILF likes this.
  2. mschofield

mschofield Oct 16, 2002 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Looks horrible, but I'll watch it because of the beer/brewery

3. MasterSki

MasterSki Dec 25, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

I believe there were scenes shot at West Lakeview Liquors as well.

4. willbm3

willbm3 Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I'm sure they do, but it's much more fun to smuggle something in. That's why we all applaud cans right?

5. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Jul 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Whatever happen to the great classics like beerfest

grandmachine and tr9871 like this.
  6. brewsader

brewsader Dec 7, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

if it makes girls want to hang out at breweries i'm all about it.

Bigtwin likes this.
  7. jono0101

jono0101 Aug 1, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

sounds like you and your lady are the target audience that the movie's producers were going for ;)

8. Boonedog

Boonedog Apr 10, 2013 Illinois

Guess I will watch mostly as a tribute to the hours I have spent talking up Johnny at the tap room.

9. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Aug 1, 2009 Washington

or you could watch it at home after purchasing on iTunes and get shit-faced!:D

BILF and nanobrew like this.
  10. BILF

BILF Jan 9, 2010 Israel

Sucks puss.

ravot and yamar68 like this.
  11. yamar68

yamar68 Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

Epic "beer news."

How's the big site redesign coming along?

12. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

*Yawn*

This movie looks lame as hell. Sappy love story that happens to involve beer. On another note...so that's what happened to the guy from Office Space.

13. Hanzo

Hanzo Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Sorry for the bump, when I first saw this thread I was at work and couldn't watch the trailer, now I finally remembered to. I don't know how much experience you guys have with chick flicks, this plot wise is pretty run of the mill it seems. But to me, this seems like the perfect compromise for movie night with the wife/girlfriend when it is their turn to pick and you make a "suggestion". You get brownie points for sitting through a chick flick and you get to see a lot of beer in a movie. It's really win win, not sure where all this bitching is coming from.

14. ravot

ravot Mar 20, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

was casted as an extra. wilde is wildy hotter in person. i will watch this movie for wilde, kendrick (the back of my head during my scene) and jake johnson who i like as an actor. honorable mention is ron livingston.

15. yuichituba

yuichituba Dec 1, 2005 Japan

As a male beer geek that's experienced in chick flicks, the trailer doesn't leave much left for the imagination. Seems like the director made plenty of effort to include a brewery as the sub-theme. The trailer alone made it look like it was trying a bit hard, but to the layman they wouldn't think twice about it.

16. Crispy25

Crispy25 Jun 28, 2012 California

It's no Machete

redblacks75 likes this.
  17. StarRanger

StarRanger Nov 27, 2006 North Dakota

brees6221 likes this.
  18. amnesia85

amnesia85 Mar 31, 2012 Connecticut

I barely made it through the trailer... When I went to close it I realized there was only 15 seconds left so I finished it!

19. brees6221

brees6221 Aug 4, 2009 Western Sahara

THIS. If I were a single guy I wouldn't be able to watch the trailer or the movie. But since I'm married and we take turns choosing on movie night (and she usually picks a chick flick) this is a score for me. She'll have her love story and I'll get to watch a movie with good beer in it while I drink good beer.

Geuzedad likes this.
  20. ImperialStoat

ImperialStoat May 20, 2009 Ireland

What are all you whiny bitches complaining about? It's Olivia Wilde and Anna Kendrick in an independent film which has craft beer as the backdrop. Fine if you're not into it, but why you'd have any issues with it is entirely beyond me.

Jesus Christ.

21. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Apr 16, 2005 California

Trailers can be maddeningly misleading, so it's hard to tell from this whether the film's DNA is comprised more of generic RomCom or Bujalski-esque mumblecore. If it's the latter, it could definitely be interesting. Not that I have anything inherently against romantic comedies, but there's a world of difference between The Philadelphia Story or The Apartment and say, anything starring Katherine Heigl.

22. brees6221

23. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

Not seeing this on iTunes Canada. :(

24. brees6221

Can find it in the Verizon Fios On Demand guide either.

25. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

$10 to rent on ITunes! That seems high? I know it's the same as going to a movie, but your not going to a theater your watching it on your phone, ipad, or computer.

26. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Mar 13, 2011 Illinois
    Subscriber

Seems like the way to make the most of the setting for the movie (craft brewery), its premise (drinking as social lubricant), and release (iTunes before theaters), is to turn it into a drinking game. Anyone want to suggest some rules (i.e., "Must drink every time someone...").

Also, from the trailer, don't recommend this as a couples double date. Just sayin'.

27. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

I'll probably watch this with the wife this weekend. I can't resist and I see it's also on Amazon Instant, so I can watch it on the big screen. Interestingly, it's rated R.

28. foobula

foobula Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

Just got back from the Chicago premiere. The whole experience was awesome. The film itself is a very authentic exploration of a few types that I would expect to find in/around a local brewery. There's nothing exploitative about the way it features Revolution or Founders or FFF -- it all feels very natural and integral to the film. Jake Johnson plays a brewer very convincingly, Olivia Wilde an extroverted brewery rep, Anna Kendrick & Ron Livingston their S.O.'s. After the Q&A with the director it's clear that he made the characters as close as possible to real people he met at these places. And the making of the film involved real beer at real craft breweries. It isn't like he just name-dropped some recognizable names into a boilerplate film, he went ALL IN on the craft beer thing -- as much as you can without being a documentary. A year ago I was wondering if it would be 5 or 10 years before the first craft beer-themed mainstream movie emerged, a year later this is clearly it.

Thanks to Rev for letting us hang out where the movie was ACTUALLY FILMED and thanks to the director for being gracious and bringing a lot more texture to the midwest craft beer scene, hopefully to a wide audience.

29. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Apr 16, 2005 California

True, but if you're so inclined you could get a group of several friends together to watch it for less than the price of one ticket, and studios attach a premium to being able to stream a movie while or before it's still in theaters.

Still, I'm not saying that's a good price, but as somebody who's produced a film that ultimately saw iTunes/VOD/digital distribution concurrent with its theatrical release, I can tell you distributors are scrambling hard (with mixed results) to find a way to make hybrid distribution models financially viable, given the increasingly clear reality that audiences have become accustomed to consuming original content where they want, when they want.

Eriktheipaman and kawilliams81 like this.
  30. Boonedog

Boonedog Apr 10, 2013 Illinois

Actually. If you have the Apple TV box you can stream right to your tv in HD.

31. Drankenstein

Drankenstein Jul 15, 2013 Kansas

I was thinking I'd host a tasting and rent this. What do you guys think?

32. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Sep 1, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

i think it's a great idea. everyone will probably leave because the movie looks so terrible and then you can keep all of the beers for yourself.

33. dcs1548

dcs1548 Nov 6, 2011 Virginia

I love your point about this movie bringing craft beer further into the mainstream. I just watched the trailer on On-Demand and it seems like pretty interesting movie, it's really awesome to see craft beer at the point where it's at hopefully this movie will help bring more positive attention to this awesome hobby.

34. Icarus

Icarus Oct 6, 2012 Minnesota

I will watch only because Olivia Wilde has really nice tits and beer is involved.

35. Hanzo

Watched it last night with the wife. Ehhh.....it wasn't the worst movie I've seen, but it was pretty bad. The cast was very solid but the acting was super stiff and forced. It got more tolerable as the movie went on but it was still a run of the mill cliche plotted film that offers nothing out of the box besides the beer aspect, which honestly is the only reason most of us would watch it.

Seeing Olivia Wilde drinking a Zombie Dust is pretty much why most will remember this movie. To boost ratings and attention I will say Olivia Wilde does have a nude scene in the movie.

Also, some of the interactions between Anna kendrick and Ron Livingston's characters even made my wife roll her eyes at how bad the acting was, and she never does that unless I am watching Aliens vs. Predator or something.

Was it worth $10? No. But is it worth supporting a movie that supports beer? Sure. Hopefully more films will get made and someone will get it right. But it didn't happen this time.

alysmith4 and kawilliams81 like this.
  36. foobula

foobula Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

Well the scenes between them are intentionally awkward, in contrast to the obvious easy rapport between Jake & Olivia's characters, which I thought was fantastic. (Ron Livingston's character is self-described as "somewhere on the Asperger's scale", Anna Kendrick's seems similarly challenged.) But clearly, any film primarily about relationship development is going to have a somewhat different appeal than your mainstream Hollywood fare. Add to that that it was all improvised, so your actors are more or less making up lines as they go along. It happens to be right up my alley (i.e. Lost in Translation is one of my faves) and no way would I put the word "bad" within a million miles of anything related to Drinking Buddies, particularly the acting. At least we can all agree that the beer is awesome! I'm really happy they didn't change the name of Revolution, as I would normally expect in a film. Plus, it's so cool that the actors being partly hammered on local beer was encouraged by the director. :D

37. Hanzo

I know it was supposed to be awkward, since that is what fits their characters, but it was forced and clunky deliveries. As I said, not a bad movie, but something like Lost in Translation is miles ahead of this film in pretty much every aspect imaginable.

I know this isn't a movie site so we'll just agree to disagree. If I had gotten the same premiere treatment you did perhaps my view would have been different. But just sitting at home with the wife on the couch....let's just say if Anna and Olivia weren't in the movie I doubt I would have made it all the way through.

38. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Mar 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Saw this last week. The first half felt like a typical rom-com, but I thought the movie became a pretty interesting look at the characters and their types in the second half.

I knew it would have beer in it, but I loved seeing all the signs, shirts, and beers that were getting opened throughout. I about lost it when I saw Daisy Cutter and Zombie Dust. Good thing my lady is a beer geek too.

39. MarioM

MarioM Sep 13, 2009 California

Saw this over the weekend and thought it was ok. All the beer related stuff made it worth the time, oh and Olivia Wilde is a hotty.

40. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Sep 1, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

decided to give the movie a chance and actually thought it wasn't that bad. i looked up some info about the movie and found out that a lot of it was improvised, which makes the scenes feel awkward and forced. from imdb: "This film was entirely improvised. There was no script, and the only things the actors and the crew had was a vague outline of the plot and the order in which certain events would take place."

i think my favorite things about the movie was that the characters actually worked at Revolution and not some made up brewery. also playing i-spy with beer bottles was pretty fun.

foobula likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe