Drinking straight from the bottle

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pinballplayer, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (356) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Like most BAs I like my glassware and use it whenever I can. However, I recently found that I prefer Sierra Nevada Celebration straight from the bottle. I've tried it multiple times in a tulip and pint glass and straight from the bottle and it's better out of the bottle every time. The aroma is obviously not as present (if at all) but the taste is better - more of the fresh hop and better carbonation.

Anybody else experience this with Celebration or any other beer?

2. Stinky-Dinkins

Stinky-Dinkins Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 New Hampshire

Put it in a paper bag first my man. Full on deadbeat.

3. atone315

atone315 Champion (893) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin

But do you pick up this year's spice straight from the bottle?

4. jojobeans

jojobeans Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2013 Ohio

Some people like red wine cold... Drink it how you like it and enjoy it most..

5. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

If it says to enjoy Heady from the can and its the best beer in the world, then you should be able to enjoy any beer from a bottle or can.

I know what you mean though, there have been times that I have drank from a bottle and felt bad about not pouring it, but I still enjoyed it just as much as I would of in a glass.

Genuine likes this.
  6. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

While you should drink what you enjoy the way you enjoy it, a preference for not being able to pick up the aromas means there's actually something you don't much like about that beer. A large part of the flavors we experience comes from the aromas. Perhaps your nose is telling you its time to look for some other Christmas beer where you'll enjoy the aromas more?

#6 drtth, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  7. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Pretty much where I was going with this. While no one should feel "judged" by whether or not they decant, it does create a problem with fully experiencing the beer (less much aroma) by drinking straight from. That being said, certainly I've had my share of All Days and SNPA on a golf course without decanting, but those were beers I'd had in glass prior; therefore I knew the product well enough to know I was missing out on the added joy of aroma. Had I not liked them as much when taking a nose full, I probably would have sought out a different beer. The experience of not enjoying the smell of a beer leaves enough impression on me and enough memory that I can't fully enjoy it ever again without thinking about that smell.

aratcliffe likes this.
  8. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I usually pour bottled beer into a glass, but I've found myself slurping canned craft beer without the use of any vessel

9. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

I drink from the can or bottle all the time.

10. 302BeerGuy

302BeerGuy Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2014 Delaware
    Deactivated

BOTTLE !!! Very rarely do I even conceive of pouring beer into a glass.
    I own about 6-8 pint glasses that rarely get used.

11. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

If I'm trying a beer for the first time I'll always pour it unless I'm in a situation where I can't. Aromatics aside, I always like to see how the beer pours and settles and develops/loses its head etc.

That said, there are many beers that I've actually grown to enjoy more from the can or bottle - typically hoppy stuff - since I feel that the flavors and what slight aromatics there are get concentrated a bit more and don't have as much opportunity to oxidize, plus the carbonation has more staying power.

In the end maybe I don't enjoy them "more" from the bottle, maybe it's just that I enjoy them "differently."

12. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

But how do you pretentiously swirl the beer around and stick your nose in it when it is in the bottle? :wink: BTW I do this and feel pretentious when I do.

13. gibgink

gibgink Savant (917) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

I use glassware(thanks to @SadMachine, Kane teku glass is my go to), but drink it however you want, especially if it tastes better in the bottle!

SadMachine likes this.
  14. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (524) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

One 4th of July, I drank a 6 pack of my bottled homebrew. July 5 was NOT fun. Spent a lot of it in the smallest room in our house.

I now drink no beer straight from the bottle . . .

Geuzedad and deathevocation like this.
  15. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

One of the best things about life is that you can do whatever you want. If drinking beer from the bottle makes you happy, have at it. Personally, I usually drink from a glass and feel I can get a little more out of the beer when I do. But I don't turn my nose up at anyone who does otherwise and occasionally drink from the bottle out of convenience or laziness.

HorseheadsHophead and BWM-77 like this.
  16. paulys55

Serious question and not trying to be snarky, but how would drinking from a glass have changed anything?

17. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

The short answer is to drink it anyway you like it. Something to consider is that beer contains between 1.5 (British ales) to as much as 5.1 (German weizens) volumes of CO2. When you pour it into a glass some of that CO2 gets released, bringing volatile compounds to your nose which enhances the flavor and aroma of the beer. When you drink it out of the bottle all of that CO2 ends up in your stomach, causing bloating, gas and belching.

18. beerded_drunk

beerded_drunk Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

recently for me, I've been trying to only use glassware for new beers and bombers (frankly I'm tired of washing glasses) but once you have reviewed it and you know it's a freshie...... I am absolutely fine drinking from the bottle can! Certain beers tho, like ten Fidy I can't drink from the can, it stinks like pennies in the can!

19. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

Homebrew has a ton of yeast that settles out. Some people's systems are sensitive to that. No harm ....just unpleasant.

NickTheGreat and Geuzedad like this.
  20. paulys55

Ahh. Got it. I was thinking he over-indulged.

21. BeerMeBro720

BeerMeBro720 Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Ohio
    Deactivated

Dome it bro...

beerded_drunk likes this.
  22. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Some brewer should figure out how to package their beer directly into mason jars. A ready glass container with aromas and hipster cred...Instant success.

(Something tells me @jesskidden is going to respond with some historical info about brewers packaging beer in jars. :slight_smile: )

If I'm going to drink directly from the can/bottle, then the 360 can used by Sly Fox is my current preference, but pressing aluminum against my mouth does take something away from the experience.

HoptimusMax1mus likes this.
  23. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,492) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

If you insist :wink:.
    [​IMG]
    Actually, they were used as growlers - not filled at the breweries - and were locally referred to as "ducks" in the Baltimore area where they were used. "Duck" being one of the several other names growlers often went by, along with more common (and understandable) ones like "can" or "bucket".

24. Ranbot

I knew you'd have something!

(FYI - I can't see the image embedded in your post, but maybe that's just on my end?)

25. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Disciple (385) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona
    Society

Like to pour mine. Personally I think it opens up and I enjoy more of the aroma while drinking. But if it tastes good to you right out of the bottle or can then go for it! It is all about what works for you, not me or anyone else on here. I have been called a geek, snob, twit, and a few other nasty names for pouring beer into a glass but its my damn beer and I will drink it anyway I choose. Cheers and keep on enjoying!

26. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,492) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Ah, damn - hate when that happens (often with images on Google Sites) Too late to edit but here it is again

[​IMG]

27. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (524) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

What he said. And I have a pretty stout "system." It was my first batch of homebrew, and I've read you get used to it.

But I just stick to my glasses. And I keg now anyways . . .

28. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,494) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Love some of the vintage images here: http://growler-station.com/about/history/

29. Svingjo

Svingjo Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2012 Canada (BC)

As much as possible I pour into a glass. I do beer tasting party/seminars and I have a whole segment on why you should drink out of a glass. Aroma is one, another is the fact most beers are designed to be drunk out of a glass. When you pour into a glass the excess carbonation is part of what creates the head in your glass. By drinking out of a bottle/can you are ingesting that excess carbonation, which is why most people will start feeling bloated after say four bottles of beer (341ml-355ml) but can drink the same amount of pints of beer or more before getting the same bloated feeling. Another reason is the beer will go flatter faster drinking out of a bottle because of the amount of O2 infusion throughout the bottle just by going through the motion of tipping the bottle. Every bottle has a small amount of O2 in the next of the bottle, by completely inverting the bottle the air is mixed throughout the fluid where when you drink from a glass only the top surface part which should have a protective head is exposed and you drink from underneath the head therefore not exposing as much to O2. Do a little test. Get three empty glasses, pour approx. 2-3oz into one. Take a sip. Tastes like the beer is supposed to taste. Place it aside. Now pour another 2-3oz into the second glass. Now the average person will take 6-7 pulls from a bottle or glass of beer, each time fully inverting the bottle. Just watch all the bubbles gurgling to the top of the bottle. To imitate this you are going to pour the 2nd glass into the empty 3rd glass. Give it a couple seconds and then pour back into the 2nd glass. Pour back and forth for a total of 6-7 times. This will give you much the same effect as taking those pulls from a bottle or can. Now take a swig of that final glass. It'll taste like crap. Flat and a lot of the flavor will be muted. This is why most people leave an inch or so at the bottom of the bottle. You spend good money on your beer so it might as well taste as good as it can. Most of the people I've done this demonstration for start drinking out of glasses more often than not. The only times I really drink out of bottle or can is on the boat, for convenience, or on the field after playing some intense sports and it has to be ice cold.

PostRockandCats and JxExM like this.
  30. Srkolodn

Srkolodn Aspirant (297) Dec 26, 2013 New York
    Trader

Well that's because pint glasses suck. Get yourself some tulips and tekus - diff story.

31. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

Just picked up my first sixer of this much-discussed beer and have really enjoyed my first two out of a tulip. I'll try my next one out of the bottle! I'm not a glassware nazi - I actually find that I prefer Summit Saga out of a bottle moreso than from a glass, but not as much as I like it straight from the can! The difference is astounding.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  32. ZebraCakez

ZebraCakez Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2014 Massachusetts

That can is pretty cool.

Not a can fan at all, but maybe that design would change that a bit.

33. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

Awww, man ... :wink:

34. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

Over my time here, I have come to appreciate beer in a glass. It is an enhancement that truly enjoy and never really knew about until I joined BA. If one is not available, then I will definitely drink from the bottle. More so than from a can. I am a fifty something, and still have that canned beer taste of yesteryear stigma thingy going.

35. Ranbot

36. 302BeerGuy

302BeerGuy Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2014 Delaware
    Deactivated

No worries if you bought me gifts:slight_smile:! My Old Style and Stoney's pint glasses get used from time to time...just not too often! I also have a custom set I rarely see!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  37. StevenNebulous

StevenNebulous Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Georgia

Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.

alucard6679 and jojobeans like this.
  38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,127) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Cans, yes. Bottles, no. But that's me.

Duffman79 and Patches826 like this.
  39. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

I like to pour my beer into a glass (while at home). It's another story while I'm driving, it's straight out the neck!

40. Kerrie

Kerrie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2012 Michigan

I'll drink from the bottle if I'm at a party or elsewhere where a glass might not be available (i.e. a club I frequent that only offers plastic cups since beer isn't their primary thing) but 99% of the time, it's beers I've had before. I haven't really noticed a difference one way or the other with those, honestly. That said, I wouldn't want a bourbon barrel-aged or other big beer from the bottle- but I also wouldn't be bringing/drinking those in situations where glasses aren't available either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.