Drinking 'Strong Beer' Is Just As Good for Your Gut As Taking Probiotics, Study Finds

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,893) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

https://www.travelandleisure.com/food-drink/beer/probiotics-gut-benefits-belgian-beer

2. JediMasterLenin

JediMasterLenin Aspirant (223) Dec 25, 2018 District of Columbia

"When consumed in moderation" knew there had to be a catch...

3. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Zealot (543) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Damn it!

meanmutt, Gemini6, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,251) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

This article is a bit strangely worded via ‘Strong Beer’. Most people will read ‘Strong Beer’ and think it refers to beers with higher ABV values (e.g., Barleywines, Imperial Stouts, etc.). What is really in play here are bottled conditioned beer since they have live yeast within the bottle (this live yeast re-fermented the beer in the bottle, hence bottle conditioned). The brewers yeast is apparently a probiotic.

From the article:

“Classen concluded that "if you drink just one of these [probiotic rich] beers every day it would be very good for you.”

Just don’t go too far the other way as excessive drinking can damage the healthy bacteria in your gut.”

I am not a microbiologist so I do not have full understanding what “damage the healthy bacteria in your gut” genuinely means. My guess is that if you drink too many bottle conditioned beers it may alter the balance of the microorganisms that reside within the gut?

Cheers!

stingray, meefmoff, Scrapss and 4 others like this.
  5. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (291) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

My understanding is that the alcohol is the culprit here, too much of it and the gut bacteria suffers.

meefmoff, nowhyok, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  6. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Zealot (543) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

I think your both right

Gemini6 and JediMasterLenin like this.
  7. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (597) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Interesting read as it's the 1st I heard beer can replenish the good bacteria in your gut. However it seems to be that only fermented beer which has bacteria in it can do so, so that makes sense. But my understanding has always been beer eats your good bacteria and is what causes beer bellies but eating yogurt can bring back the good bacteria but now maybe I should dump all that yogurt and drink a fermented beer instead.

JediMasterLenin likes this.
  8. MoreBeer4me

MoreBeer4me Disciple (300) Aug 25, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Moderation? Then I'm all good as I always consume my 8 beers a day at a moderate rate.