Driving Boston to Portland - stops along the way?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by StJamesGate, May 31, 2022.

1. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (5,080) Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Society

Friend of mine is heading to Portland - I think he's pretty much getting straight onto I-95 from Logan.

He's looking for any brewery taprooms to hit along the road - his preference is get beer at source.

Any recommendations?

2. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (289) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

Silvaticus in Amesbury. Second-to-last exit in Massachusetts. Great German/Belgian styles, both lagers and ales.

3. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Aspirant (222) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Tributary in Kittery is essentially right on the way, that's a must unless he's an NEIPA only guy (in which case he should just go straight to Portland).

Salem Notch adds about a half hour to the drive and might be worth it.

4. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (249) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Stoneface in Newington, NH. 5 minutes off I-95. Can also grab some food there or for the road if he's hungry.

5. redbill

redbill Initiate (25) Nov 29, 2018 Massachusetts

IMO, nothing on the way is worth giving up the extra time in Portland for...

hopley, mbizup and mvogt like this.
  6. mvogt

mvogt Aspirant (200) Sep 10, 2021 Massachusetts

>any brewery taprooms

Yeah, there's a few. :wink:

I might stop at Earth Eagle in Portsmouth NH to see what unusual brew they have going: last time I went I got a nice gruit, currently they have a belgian-style dandelion ale.

Then again, sometimes I just charge straight up to Portland and enjoy the many awesome breweries there!

DrStiffington likes this.
  7. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,342) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Barreled Souls in Saco if you like barrel aged beers. Best in Maine. Also Odd by Nature in Cape Neddick is new but putting out some good stuff.

JrGtr, DrStiffington, mvogt and 2 others like this.
  8. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (646) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Strong second to Barreled Souls. If your friend was stopping in Kittery for shopping the outlets anyway I'd suggest the Definitive Brewing taproom right there on Route 1, otherwise you are better off just waiting and going to the original Portland location.

JrGtr likes this.
  9. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (5,080) Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Society

Thanks, everyone - good tips.

10. gregstrong

gregstrong Initiate (79) Oct 9, 2010 Massachusetts

If you’re looking for a food and beer combo, York River Landing is top notch.

Newport_beerguy and HopsDubosc like this.
  11. mvogt

mvogt Aspirant (200) Sep 10, 2021 Massachusetts

Oh hey, that does look pretty great. I will always suggest When Pigs Fly Pizzeria in Kittery, ever since I stumbled upon a fresh keg of Hill Farmstead Edward there.

Newport_beerguy and JrGtr like this.
  12. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (178) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Just stopped there on the way back from a weekend in Maine, and wow! Great tap list with Bissel Bros and Belleflower options and an awesome plate of fish and chips. The screened-in dining room out back overlooking the river was very nice. Adding this stop to future trips for sure.

Newport_beerguy and mvogt like this.
  13. hopley

hopley Poo-Bah (1,905) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I’ve made this trip about 100,000 times and counting, and I’d gander to say this is the most correct statement I’m seeing, unless you happen to be doing it on one particular day each fall and spring when Mott the Lessor is released at Tributary. Other than that check the Portland threads and have at it...btw, Barreled Souls in Saco isn’t really a “stop on the way” - that’s Portland area and will be mentioned in those threads as well. Cheers!

14. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (369) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Anyone who knows about York River Landings Black Friday knows how sick this place can be. It’s a great stop anytime heading up. NH doesn’t necessarily have the best distro/tap lists so it’s nice we can pop over the river for other options in Maine or also MA. Nick when they first opened worked hard to get a solid list.

15. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (646) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Black Friday at YRL is a Tradition Unlike any Other (TM), sorry Augusta National.