Driving from Florida to Lafayette, LA (Mobile, Biloxi, etc)

Discussion in 'South' started by jmm380, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmm380

jmm380 Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'll be arriving in Lafayette on Thanksgiving and leaving Sunday. Are there any area breweries that bottle Imperial Stout's or Barleywines? I see that Parish Brewing is releasing their Grand Reserve, but that wont be till December. Are their any area bottle shops I should check out when in town? I'll be taking I-10 so passing thru Mobile and Biloxi as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. DizzleFizzle32

DizzleFizzle32 Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2013 Louisiana

There's a pretty good bottle ship in mobile about 20 minutes or so off the interstate called cottage hill package store

jmm380 likes this.
  3. jmm380

Beer Trader

Great thanks!

4. tbryan5

tbryan5 Meyvn (1,200) Sep 22, 2012 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

I'm pretty sure Parish's Grand Reserve comes out this week or next. Could be mistaken though

5. mdeluna

mdeluna Disciple (333) Mar 6, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I believe it's on the 30th of Nov.

Definitely go to Philipe's (sp) When in Lafayette, he has some decent selection, definitely the only place you'll find decent beer lol.

Also, check the dates on some of the brews, I actually saw a year old IPA there once.. with that said, he also has some other aged brews like Peche Mortel (im pretty sure it was aged) and lots of Jolly Pumpkin.

6. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (837) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Abita's new Macchiato Stout is surprisingly solid. It's draft only but a growler would not be ill advised. Also, be sure to get some cans of Tin Roof's Parade Ground porter. Just came out in cans and it is awesome!

7. jmm380

Beer Trader

On the Parish FB page mid December keeps being mentioned for Grand Reserve. Phillipes is on my list. Keep them coming. I appreciate the info.

8. Fister

Fister Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

I find Phillipe's has a ton of outdated things but they do get a small quantity of stuff that the others shops don't get. I would recommend Marcellos on Johnston St. Also, Ambassador Wine and Spirits.
    Check out Parish Brewery if you can. The people there are pretty cool. Tours are on Saturdays
    Feel free to bring some Jai Lai or a case of Yuengling!

jmm380 likes this.
  9. mdeluna

mdeluna Disciple (333) Mar 6, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

This, if you're going to be there, make sure to go check out Parish.. I took a Salado Kriek by Freetail, and they let me have some Grand Reserve on draft last month.. It was great. (OFC, don't ask for this.. lol)

jmm380 likes this.
  10. jmm380

Beer Trader

Hell I hadn't thought of bringing anything...

11. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2009 Louisiana

I reckon you'll briefly pass through Baton Rough, so a stop in at Calandros on Perkins, which isn't far off the Interstate, would be a worthy stop, that is if you don't hit up Steins while going through Nola.

jmm380 likes this.
  12. jmm380

Beer Trader

We will be spending Saturday in NOLA and Steins will be our first stop

13. HeadyTheElder

HeadyTheElder Disciple (382) Nov 3, 2012 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

Calandro's would be a worthy stop in Baton Rouge. They break a lot of stuff into singles, which is great for trying new stuff without committing to a pack. Their import selection is pretty good.

jmm380 likes this.
  14. tbryan5

Beer Trader

You have to go to the backroom when you go to Stein's. Not all of their selection is out front. Just ask to walk back there if its locked...

15. jmm380

Beer Trader

Thanks for the heads up. That's where I'm planning to spend most of my beer wad.

I'll add it to the list. Out of the way stops will be based on time. The wife wants to stop at The Shed in Mississippi on the way back so that will take priority.

16. jmm380

Beer Trader

FYI Grand Reserve will be released on 12/14. Spoke with the brewery earlier today.

tbryan5 likes this.
  17. tbryan5

Beer Trader

Thanks. I just have to wait a little longer now...ha. I appreciate the info

jmm380 likes this.
  18. jmm380

Beer Trader

sure thing.

19. Adavar

Adavar Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Alabama
    Beer Trader

If/When you come into Cottagehill Package ask for Kitzmann or John. We've got some pretty inserting barley wine from JW Lees; a 2010 aged in port barrels as well as a 2012 aged in Lagavulin barrels. We also have a local coffee stout aged in bourbon barrels from Blue Pants in Madison, Al. Lots of what you're looking for I feel like. Come see us!

jmm380 likes this.
  20. wiltznucs

wiltznucs Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2013 Florida

Stopped by Cottage Hill yesterday en route to LA. Good selection of Westbrook, Evil Twin, local brews and some imports.

jmm380 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe