Driving my carboy across country

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ironchefmiyagi13, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Tennessee

Ok, so I am in the process of moving from my parents house in NY to TN in the next few weeks to start my own business. I have a Saison with Brett and Pedio that I plan to age for a while, and don't know when the next time I will be back to NY.

I was going to leave it, but would rather have it with me so I can keep an eye on it.

In terms of driving, is it relatively safe for the beer to be in a carboy driving on the highway and in a start that is constantly starting and stopping.

Has anyone ever transported a beer long distances in fermentation vessels?

I'd love as much feedback as possible.

Cheers,

Kirby

2. wspscott

wspscott Champion (853) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

How long has it been in the carboy? Any chance you could bottle it now?

I would think that the biggest issue is the sloshing would potentially add oxygen, but if you purge with co2 and use a rubber stopper you could prevent that problem. Then you just need to worry about a full carboy rolling around in the back of the car :slight_smile: I would suggest something like a milk crate to prevent that problem.

In general, I would think that there would not be too many problems, try to keep the beer from freezing, i.e. don't leave it in the car overnight. Good luck.

3. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Tennessee

It has been in primary for over 2 months. I started with a two-step starter of Brett Trois WLP644. Then, added another vial about 2 weeks ago to push it past 1.010 gravity to about 1.006.

Then, I took dregs from 2 bottles of Hill Farmstead Arthur and added them right to the carboy.

So far, it's been in the fermenter for about 10 weeks.

@wspscott

4. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,253) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

5. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,247) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

Honestly, but a keg, rack it, pressurize it, then transport it . I wouldn't move a carboy across that many states. Across town, yes, but not that far. Go with the keg.

Tebuken and InVinoVeritas like this.
  6. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (863) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Keg it, or leave it there.. Might would make for a fun beer to come back to. No chance you'll end up sampling it to death or playing with it. :wink:

Seriously though- I'd probably keg it, and purge it and call it good. IF you have to do the carboy, then I'd purge it well, pack it tight, and use a solid stopper in the carboy. Probably not ideal, but if you want to take it, then you have those options.

Tebuken, InVinoVeritas and skivtjerry like this.
  7. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (508) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

As noted above, if you have any kegging equipment, that's the way to go.

8. APreacher

APreacher Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 California

Recent relocation had me do a big cleanout of materials making 3 batches before departue...all of which I transferred to keg for transport. I dryhopped one, fruit/spice another and blended some sours...and into keg for 600 mile trip. Vented every day or two upon arrival and tapped within 5 days of hooking back up. No issues here what-so-ever. I even managed to dose a remaining sour blend with 3 lbs fresh passion fruit that traveled in a better bottle.....fermenting right along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.