Driving through Cleveland....

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by tbaiza, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbaiza

tbaiza Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2009 Illinois

Ok Cleveland locals and surrounding area. I am driving through your area from Chicago to Geneva on the lake for a little weekend getaway with the lady friend. I will be in Cleveland around 12 on Friday in a few weeks and would just like your suggestions on where to stop and enjoy some delicious brews and get some food. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. output01x

output01x Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2011 Ohio

Great Lakes Brewing Company (Cleveland, OH)
    Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon (North Olmsted, OH)
    The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse (Strongsville, OH)
    Buckeye Beer Engine (Lakewood, OH)

All have good beer and good food. GLBC, TBK, and Buckeye all have updated taplists on their respective websites. TBK & Buckeye both have an awesome amount of guest taps. As far as food, I'm partial to TBK. Their dry rub wings, brewmaster's steak, pulled pork sandwich, and fish & chips have all been great.

Blueribbon666 and pudgym29 like this.
  3. jampics2

jampics2 Meyvn (1,478) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Trader

Fat Heads is your first stop and your "must hit" - stop there for lunch, it's right on your route, like 8 miles after you get off the OH turnpike and hit I-480. If for some reason you're not digging Fat Heads, the Brew Kettle is less than 10 miles away from it and is also great. After that, I would either head up I-71 to Lakewood for a stop at Rozi's or along I-480 to Bedford Heights for a stop at Lizardville for some bottle shopping. Finally, on your way out of town on I-90 towards Geneva on the Lake, you could swing by Willoughby Brewing and grab a growler of Peanut Butter Coffee Porter for your sipping pleasure. Have fun!!

Blackwing17 and bbarak like this.
  4. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Search MELT Bar and Grill, and if there's one along your route, GO THERE!

Pretty nice beer list (the one time I went there was nothing crazy rare or anything, but it was a solid list), but the food was incredible! Their specialty is grilled cheese melts (I know, it sounds kinda weird), but they have like 40 different options and each sounds just as amazing as the next. When I went, I got the Buffalo Chicken melt and it was phenomenal!

The22Lou likes this.
  5. miketd

miketd Zealot (527) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Trader

If I could only do one place along that route, it would be Fat Head's. Brew Kettle, GLBC and Beer Engine would be more convenient, but I would still go to FH's.

Edit - after looking at a map, I guess FH's is the most convenient. Makes the choice easy.

6. beckard13

beckard13 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2011 North Carolina

Lizardville is awesome. Bottle shop, whiskey bar. 8 taps. Small food menu, but good.

smarks2327 and gamwich like this.
  7. tbaiza

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it!

8. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

If you go to Rozi's in lakewood, you can have a few drinks before your short walk (100 Yards) to Melt after you put your name in to wait for a table.

This is our "Go-to" strategy.... Put name in, walk to Rozi's, have a beer, shop for bottles to take home, go to Melt, go home and have one of our newly acquired beers from Rozi's, then slip into food coma.

9. MarkIntihar

I still need to make it over to Rozi's some time. Too bad it's not quite on my route to/from Chicago :slight_frown:

10. Axic10

Axic10 Defender (629) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Does anybody know if the Brew Kettle fills growlers? I can't remember from when I used to live out in OH 4 years ago. I'm hoping to get some White Rajah to go.

11. MarkIntihar

Yes they do. I think the White Rajah growler is about $17 with the purchase of the glass.

12. Axic10

Trader

Do they fill outside growlers?

13. MarkIntihar

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

14. Jparkanzky

Brew Kettle will ONLY sell growler-fills (you can bring in out-side glass) of THEIR beers... and often it won't include their BA or specialty beers, so typically you're looking at White-Rajah, 4-C's, etc... usually about 4-5 beers to choose from (from the 20 or so they'll have on tap)

15. Axic10

Trader

Thanks Jparkanzky, I think that White Rajah was what I'm looking at getting. Might have to order some BBQ spaghetti and a few pints while I'm there so it's just like old times!

16. output01x

I forgot about the BBQ Spaghetti. It is fantastic and goes great with 4 C's. Since they started bottling, White Rajah has been on tap pretty regularly so you shouldn't have much trouble getting it. They also sell their bottled beers at the pub so be sure to ask for a 6pack on your way out. If they are out at TBK, often it is available at one of the local Heinen's, so call around if you are looking for it.

But please don't pidgeon hole TBK as only having White Rajah. Their Jackhammer Barleywine, One-Eyed Jack Porter, Dark Helmet Imperial Schwarzbier, and Four C's American Pale Ale are all top notch. Too often people only associate a brewery with one of their beers and miss out on all of their other fantastic offerings.

17. Axic10

Trader

I'm not pigeon holing them at all. I used to go there for about 5 years and have brewed on premise numerous times. I have some buddies back here that are wanting to try White Rajah, so I figured I'd try to kill that bird with as little effort as possible. I really miss Dark Helmet, probably my favorite beer from them!

18. output01x

Well then I have good news for you, sir. TBK has recently started bottling their beers in 12 oz. format. Look for White Rajah, Four C's, and One-Eyed Jack (formerly Black Jack) in 6packs and Dark Helmet and Old 21 in 4packs. Like I said previously, be sure to call around the local shops for White Rajah because its flying off the shelf faster than TBK can make it. But their other offerings are much easier to find in the local stores.

I didn't see you mention in your previous posts when you were planning on stopping by Cleveland. But when you are in the area, feel free to BM me. I do contract work for multiple Heinen's around Cleveland and could probably track down a 6pack for ya if you need it.

19. Axic10

Trader

I had started another thread (sorry OP for hijacking this thread). I'm going be in Cleveland this coming Monday to visit family and friends and was going to hit up some of my old joints.

That is great news about TBK's beers in bottles. I've always been a fan of those guys.

Also any places that you know have any Columbus IPA or 3 Floyds bottles? I plan on stopping at Vintage Estate on my way to Cleveland, but figured I'd check and see if those were around the Cleveland area.

20. miketd

Trader

No Columbus bottles in Cleveland yet, but you might find it on draft somewhere. I have only seen the FFF Irish Ale recently, although I haven't really been looking.

Edit - I think there was some Behemoth at Mini Mart a couple weeks ago as well.

21. output01x

Yeah, no Columbus IPA in bottles in Cleveland. Three Floyds Behemoth and Brian Baru can be found here and there at different shops. We aren't getting 6packs yet.

I am off work Monday so if you need any help tracking anything down, feel free to let me know.

22. pudgym29

pudgym29 Initiate (73) Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

I've “liked” one reply above. This past weekend, I was in Cleveland for Cinema Wasteland. I hadn't been to GLBC in four years.:flushed: If you do go there, leave time to go across the street to Market Garden Brewery. I especially enjoyed its Progress Pilsner. :slight_smile:
    On Sunday night, after Cinema Wasteland ended, and since my Megabus back to Chicago wasn't until 1:00 am, I managed to get to Buckeye Beer Engine. It is a superb place. I got to have its Porter on handpump. I had four Buckeye Beers, and Stoudt's Karnival Kölsch. One of the other guest taps was from Two Brothers, but I forgot which it was.

23. lftwng4

lftwng4 Initiate (148) Oct 12, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

To the OP: I would also mention, if the weather is nice, nothing beats sitting outside Great Lakes on their patio area, people watching, etc. It's a very cool part of town, and you're 30 seconds from the Farmer's Market, which is great, and that Garden Market Brewery is next door.
    I repeat: Contingent on nice weather, nothing's gonna beat it.

24. bbarak

bbarak Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2011 Ohio

Depending on the friday you are rolling through Cleveland you might find White Rajah on tap at Rozis...they are having a tasting on April 19th and The Brew Kettle is taking over all 8 taps which will include White Rajah...it should still be on tap the days following the event and will be available for growler purchase

25. tbaiza

Once again I wanted to say thank you to everyone for their suggestions. I will be rolling through Cleveland tomorrow afternoon. I think I am going to Stop at Fatheads around noon if anybody wants to grab a pint. Also, I plan on stopping at melt on the way home and hitting up Rozi's to hopefully pick up some White Rajah and other tasty bottles. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

26. HoosierInOhio

HoosierInOhio Initiate (121) Apr 2, 2011 Ohio

FYI, plan on a decent wait at Melt, but Rozis won't disappoint.

27. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (511) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Cellar Rats Brewery is up in Madison, Ohio which isn't far from Geneva, Oh. 7743 Doty Rd. Madison, Ohio 44057 to be exact & @ www.ratbrew.com they are part of Debonne Vineyards. Really enjoyed their Black Rat Imperial Stout and am hoping to visit their soon, hope this info isn't too late...

28. miketd

Trader

I saw tbaiza at Fat Head's yesterday and mentioned Cellar Rats, but didn't know exactly how far it was from Geneva on the Lake. I also forgot it was part of a winery.

29. cratez

cratez Meyvn (1,279) Sep 23, 2005 Ontario (Canada)
    Society

Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd revive this one. Hoping to do a long weekend beercation this month and currently eyeing Cleveland as a potential destination. Wanted to ask the local BAs a few things:

1) What are the top must-visit beer destinations in the city? We'll be in town Friday night, Sat & Sun in the day, and Monday until lunch.

2) Is it better to stay downtown (hotels seem sparse) or in the suburbs (like Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights or Beachwood). I ask because some of the places that interest me - Cave du Vin, Melt, Winking Lizard, B Spot - are in the eastern burbs. And I've found a few decent hotels out that way.

3) What would you recommend for daytime tourist attractions? Right now the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Museum of Art, and an Indians/Marlins game look tempting, but I'm open to suggestions.

4) Is it safe to walk anywhere downtown and in Cleveland Heights at night? Or is it better to cab places? Anything that two white Canadian tourists should keep in mind?

5) Curious about bars to avoid, such as dumpy/divey joints and spots that mostly to cater locals (i.e. "outsiders" aren't welcome).

Your help is very much appreciated. Cheers!

30. Jparkanzky

1) GLBC (across the street is Market Brewery and around the corner is Bier Markt) , Fatheads, Brew Kettle, Tremont Tap-house, Lizardville, Beer Engine, Melt Bar and Grilled, Cave Du Vin.

2) Stay west/central, you'll have easy access to Brew Kettle, Fatheads, GLBC, and pretty much everything (other than Lizardville/ Cave Du Vin) I listed, and even those will only be 30 minutes tops.

3) Baseball of course..... The Indians play some loosely interpreted form of the sport..... Don't miss the West Side Market (a short walk from GLBC also)

4) It's dependent on micro-sections of each area, but anywhere that any establishment you'd want to visit would be, will be safe to walk. Either way, you're Canadian so what do you have to lose right?

5) I wouldn't avoid any..... you walk into a place, you don't like it, just leave.... the places listed above are the ones to make special accommodations to visit.... aside from those, just check out what is in the same area as you.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  31. cratez

Society

Thanks dude, that's really helpful. Would I be correct in assuming that the hotels near the airport are the best places to stay? Mapquest claims the Marriot on W. 150th is 7-15 minutes away from all the good spots in Lakewood, N. Olmsted, and downtown Cleveland.

LOL!

32. cg123

cg123 Initiate (93) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

The Marriott would at 150th would be good. Easy to get on 71 and 480 from there and a 5 minute car ride up 150th to Lakewood (Beer Engine, Rozi's, Melt, etc).

cratez likes this.
  33. cratez

Society

Well, Ian Hunter was right - Cleveland rocks! The lady and I had an amazing time and everyone was extremely friendly. Ohio seems to gets a bunch of taps that I haven't seen in Michigan, Illinois, and New York, so it was nice to sample some draughts that are rare to this Canuck. And all of the bars have great atmospheres. A definite highlight was watching the AMP 150 bartender do magic tricks while Rare Earth's "Get Ready" blared in the background. Really fun spot.

Ended up going to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on Saturday and the Indians/Marlins game Sunday afternoon. We wanted to hit the Museum of Art but it was kinda far from our hotel so we drank more booze instead. Went to Melt Bar & Grilled on Friday, Buckeye Beer Engine, Great Lakes Brewing, and Market Garden Brewery Saturday night, Lolita and Tremont Tap House on Sunday, and Rozi's Wine House for lunch and a bottle shop yesterday. I wouldn't rate any of them below 80.

In terms of taps and bottles, I ran through the following over ~four days:
    Buckeye Cleveland IPA (draught)
    Victory Throwback Lager (draught)
    21st Amendment Back in Black IPA (can)
    Heavy Seas Loose Cannon American Hop3 Ale (bottle)
    Stoudts Pils (draught)
    North Coast Red Seal Ale (draught)
    Great Lakes Holy Moses White Ale (draught)
    Great Lakes The Wright Pils (draught)
    Market Garden Spring Porter (draught)
    Victory Headwaters Pale Ale (draught)
    Southern Tier Eurotrash Pilz (bottle)
    Anderson Valley Imperial IPA (bottle)
    Bear Republic NorCal California Style Bitter (draught)
    Sierra Nevada Hoptimum (draught)
    Bockor Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge (draught)
    Southern Tier 2X Stout (draught)
    Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale (bottle)
    Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA (draught)

Several draughts from Sixpoint, Troegs, 3Floyds, Two Brothers, and some harder-to-find DFH and Belgian brews were also pouring, but I had already sampled a few of them. Standouts were the Jacobins Rouge, Hoptimum, Spring Porter, Stoudts, and Cleveland IPA.

On the way back we stopped by Rozi's Wine House in Lakewood. Had an excellent chicken salad sandwich, washed it down with a Finest Kind, then browsed their robust bottle selection. Grabbed a Victory/DFH/Stone Saison du Buff, a Samuel Adams Dark Depths, and a sixer each of Ballast Point Big Eye IPA and Founders Double Trouble. No questions crossing the border.

Overall, I'd say Cleveland was well worth the trek. From what I can tell there's plenty to do and see downtown, in Tremont, and the west end, the people are very welcoming, and the beer scene is thriving. Plus the brief drive through Pennsylvania along the lake is quite beautiful. Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.