Drop-Down For Adding Notes

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by woodychandler, Apr 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (12,542) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I am noticing a LOT of beers that have been added, but just that. No picture, no notes, nothing beyond the bare bones. Fair dinkum. Such is not required so why go above & beyond, right?

OTOH, I am a CANpletist, preferring to add a Photo and some Notes whenever possible.

That said, adding Notes should require some justification. I try to preface each submission, but it would be time-saving if there was a drop-down that could be selected to justify the submission without typing it in each time.

For instance:

"From the brewery's website"

and

"From sister site, Untappd"

as drop-down options, vice having to be typed in.

There may be other options, but I CANnot envision what they might be. "From my active imagination"? That seems dubious.

This would simply be a time-saver and perhaps one that would encourage others to fill out the entry when doing an "Add" od a beer.

2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,025) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I sometimes will say something similar to what you suggest, but mostly I just go all Joe Friday on it: Just the facts Ma'am.

jonphisher and muchloveforhops3 like this.
  3. WickedBeer

WickedBeer Poo-Bah (2,763) Sep 23, 2015 Alabama
    Society Trader

Much like you, I will always add notes for new listings as well as photo if I have a clear, straightforward photo of my own of the bottle / can where applicable. Adding to your suggestion, I feel as though when creating a listing, there should be a section after adding name, ABV, style, where there’s an optional section to put notes (as to save a couple extra steps, and save the mods some extra work). It would then be up to users to flag or report any scenarios where some idiot decided to put something stupid in the notes, or someone just made an honest mistake. Just some late night ramblings from an OCD beer geek.

4. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Poo-Bah (2,224) Apr 5, 2009 Montana
    Society

I couldn't agree with you more @WickedBeer . It would be so nice to not have to backtrack and add notes separately after adding the beer, plus it would save the mods that extra work. Additionally, I dont think it would hurt to revoke the existing minimum character requirement for notes either.

5. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,875) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

I’ve added many beers to the site and always wondered how to add the notes. I’ve seen other beers with notes like the hops that are used but when I add a beer, there was no place to do it so I just didn’t.

lucius10, BigIronH and woodychandler like this.
  6. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (2,169) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

I just add an edit after I’ve added the beer to the database. It’s not really ideal but it’s the only way to do it. I’d be all for a drop down menu or something like that.

7. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,454) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

That is something the mods wanted because people were submitting change requests that had little to no information. With that minimum character request, it forces people to explain a bit of what they are asking us to do.

BigIronH, REVZEB, jonphisher and 3 others like this.
  8. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Poo-Bah (2,224) Apr 5, 2009 Montana
    Society

Makes sense.

FBarber likes this.
  9. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,519) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yea I wish you could add the notes when you add the beer instead of having to "edit" to add the notes...

lucius10, REVZEB, guinness77 and 3 others like this.
  10. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

many of those ghost beers are added to the DB by the brewery and not the result of being rated/reviewed

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  11. woodychandler

Society Trader

But a) what is the minimum character request & b) couldn't the info being provided satisfy said request? I just want a drop-down for the source/justification of the request.

12. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,929) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

It would be cool if “notes” and “add photo” became part of the “add a beer” menu. Like you put the name, the abv, the style and then be able to add a photo and notes all right there and hit “add” and submit everything instead of having to add the beer and then go back and submit two edits to get your photo and notes on there.

With regards to the OP. I never preface my note submission unless it’s an edit of the current notes. If I add notes it’s either from the side of the can, the breweries website or their socials. I think the mods can read between the lines to understand and approve those accordingly, which they always do. Cheers.

13. woodychandler

Society Trader

This goes to my query. It requires that you go back in once you have added the beer(s) and "Report An Update".

I am okay with that since the mods may not want to relinquish their oversight of what appears in the "Notes", but I dislike having to type in my justification/source for the Notes that I am providing, i.e. where did they come from? It is generally only going to be one of two sources - 1) the brewery's website or 2) Untappd.

There may be other sources, but "the voices in my head" may not always (ever?) be reliable. The info being provided should satisfy the word/character count.

DrStiffington likes this.
  14. woodychandler

Society Trader

I had not thought of the side of the CAN or on a bottle's label. Both are also viable. Perhaps the mods CAN "read between the lines", but that is not stated explicitly. What is stated is "Details: To help our team, please provide evidence or additional notes to support your reportt [sic]."

Haha! I guess that I had thought of info on the CAN or bottle, as evidenced by this latest Update of mine, prefaced by: "Transcribed from the label on the reverse of the bottle in the approved pic:". I must have been laser-focused on the more common website or Untappd. Whoops!

BBThunderbolt and BigIronH like this.
  15. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,807) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

When I used to add beers, they were almost always draft, from the source, so a picture wasn’t practical.

BigIronH and PapaGoose03 like this.
  16. tekstr1der

tekstr1der Poo-Bah (1,572) Nov 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

As a data point... I'm not sure if this is etiquette on your part, or a requirement I've never seen mentioned, but I've entered several notes successfully without any extra verbiage. Never have I added any justification/source. Notes I've provided, copypasta from sources such as you've mentioned, have always been successfully added in a timely manner despite my possible ignorance on this topic.

17. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,816) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I've always used the suggest edit and add note thing, but I do state my source, usually the brewery website. I would upload pics if I knew how to do it. I've never thought twice about "citing" where the notes come from - figured the mods want to know its not something I made up. But the whole process could probably be easier and take fewer steps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.