Dropoff in Nugget Nectar?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hornsup, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hornsup

hornsup Nov 29, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I had NN for the first time this season back in mid Feb with an early Feb bottled on date. Fantastic, top five. Local store just got some more NN in today bottle dated 1/25/13 and I'll be damned if it hasn't dropped off substantially IMHO. I understand the fresher the better, wondering at what age you've found it to go from f'n fantastic to a little stale/less flavorful..still good though
  2. Dools9

Dools9 Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

I noticed a big difference between a two week old six pack and a 2 month old six pack which should be no surprise. Still good, but it lost a lot in the nose and some of its hop bite compared to the fresher ones.
  3. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

Chase the dragon.
    YogiBeer, ressling, 4kbrianb and 2 others like this.
  4. dar482

dar482 Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

I had issues with my six pack. Didn't have the pop that I remember, despite being only 2-3 weeks old. It was mild crystal malt bomb. Still a great beer, just not world class as I remember. Maybe I should've searched it out on tap or something.
    KhakCane likes this.
  5. Jake1605

Jake1605 Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

Why do so many people LOVE this beer?
    fredmugs and KhakCane like this.
  6. phooky

phooky Jan 23, 2010 New York

Because it's delicious.
    smutty33, cjoc83, YogiBeer and 17 others like this.
  7. jbertsch

jbertsch Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Your store just received 10-week old NN now? Ouch.
    BrettHead, ressling and dar482 like this.
  8. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I haven't had any that wasn't pretty fresh, so I can't say. The case I recently bought was bottled on April 2nd, so it's only a week old.
  9. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

I've had it fresh and had an older bottle one of my friends got from his brother in New York, and the drop-off was noticeable. Similar to how the 6-pack of Zombie Dust I got had faded a bit when I had the last bottle about one month after the first.
  10. GodlessWatermelon

GodlessWatermelon Apr 12, 2012 Maryland

Nugget Nectar is the most overrated beer I've ever had in my life.

To get on topic, I had a fresh bottle at the local watering hole and it was pretty tasty, never had an old bottle.
    KevinMc79 and fredmugs like this.
  11. ShanePB

ShanePB Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Nugget Nectar certainly drops off big time, and rather quickly in my opinion. When it's fresh, it can't be beat. Delicious.
  12. fredmugs

fredmugs Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Agreed. #17 on the Beers of Fame is ridiculous. It's probably better than Fat Tire but that's about as far as I'm willing to go.
  13. jmmy3

jmmy3 Nov 30, 2010 Massachusetts

I picked a six pack up right after it was bottled and it was really great. Had it on tap recently and I thought it was missing something.
  14. GotWad629

GotWad629 Sep 14, 2010 New York

Most hop bombs usually lose their initial hop freshness and punch after a few weeks. Fresh nugget is delicious, after a few weeks its still damn tasty but definitely becomes more malt forward.
    hornsup likes this.
  15. schmelby

schmelby May 13, 2012 Virginia

I've had lots of NN this year, bottles dated in Jan and Feb, all were outstanding. Had it on tap a couple times as well, even better. Troegs really should produce that deliciousness year round. I'd always have some in my fridge if they did.
    dan027 likes this.
  16. ressling

ressling Oct 26, 2011 Georgia

Got 3 bottles in my beer fridge right now from a few months back. Sounds like it's high time I finish them off!
  17. Hastur23

Hastur23 Mar 3, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I was wondering the exact same thing. (Typically I drink this stuff just as fast as I can get my hands on it.)

As far as trading and BIFs are concerned, how old is too old for NN and other hop-heavy beers?
    I have some bottled 3/11. Would a trader be offeneded if the received a bottle that is, say, a month old? What about 2 months?
    DonSaleen747 likes this.
  18. BushDoctor

BushDoctor Oct 27, 2007 New York

... so is the tragedy of dry-hopping, imho.
  19. dan027

dan027 Mar 28, 2011 Pennsylvania

I had plenty this year and thought it was pretty great but it was all really fresh and it's probably my all time favorite beer so maybe I'm a bit biased.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

We get it less than a week old to start, then we get little dribbles from the destributor over time for some reason, not sure why they hold it back. Actually happens every year it seems.
    hornsup likes this.
  21. hagbergl

hagbergl Aug 27, 2009 Maryland

I have also noticed a big drop off in the flavor department after just a month on the shelf. It definitely is much better when very fresh (duh) and does seem to quickly degrade when many other hoppy beers of its kind are still kicking. It's too bad. Wish I could get some of the Nectar out here in Chicago.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!