Dry January...again.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by flaskman, Jan 2, 2020.

1. flaskman

flaskman Aspirant (289) Aug 3, 2015 New York

Well beer fans it is a New Year and another dry January for me. The IPA's have been consumed and the big beers are in storage. I did it last year and found that it helped me keep the enjoyment of craft beer within reasonable limits. The result was drinking less beer and enjoying them even more. I have lost 73 pounds since March and I miss my beer already. If I did it last January I can do it again. Happy New Year and Cheers!

2. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (2,046) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

Such an exercise in personal discipline deserves to be lauded. The time will pass quickly. Good luck!

3. DrewLS

DrewLS Initiate (139) Oct 7, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm doing Dry January, too. Did it last year and it was great. I'm thinking it's an annual thing for me.

I think it's always important to reevaluate your relationship with alcohol, especially for me and anyone else who considers beer to be a hobby. Time for pause reminds me it's exactly that and makes me enjoy the eleven other months in the year all the more.

fehrminator, KRug, mickyge and 18 others like this.
  4. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,474) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Good on everybody looking for improvement but truth be told I’m not doing it and self-discipline isn’t my forte to say the least.

I take a week or, at least 4-5 days off any alcohol every month. A whole month off would be a no-no unless dealing with a medical issue and having to take critical meds.

5. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (330) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I saw Victory posted on facebook pushing NoDryJanuary. I'd be surprised if that doesn't bite them in the ass. I understand anybody taking a DryJanuary has the ability to hurt sales but the negative public backlash does more.

Junior, vabeerguy, Yabu and 2 others like this.
  6. MLDucky

MLDucky Defender (613) Oct 12, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Kudos to everyone doing that. I tend to have dry M-Thursdays (doesn't always work, lol) and find the most difficult day usually being Thursday or any day that I'm grilling. Living in central Texas, cooking outside is pretty much year round. However, every so often I like to just do 2 weeks off from drinking. I find it resets my palate just enough and I appreciate certain styles even more doing this.

7. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Crusader (764) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good for you! Let us know how it goes :sunglasses:

Junior, vabeerguy and VoxRationis like this.
  8. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Kudos! I’ve done dry January before. It’s great for a break/re-evaluation. And also to reset the palate.

This year however, I’m committing to an extra dry day per week (usually 1-2, now I’m committing to a reliable 3).

9. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (525) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

While not dry, I cut way back in October last year. I dubbed it Oc-sober.

Bshaw22, mickyge, zeff80 and 4 others like this.
  10. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,913) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I haven't had a beer ALL DAY! (yet)

11. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (3,778) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

A great topic for a thread. I seriously considered a hard stop during January; and went back and forth on it almost to New Year's Eve. Several years ago I lost over 40 lbs., and have done a pretty good job of keeping the weight off but the last couple of months have been difficult. My concern with a totally dry January is that I might feel entitled to resume drinking a lot in February. So I decided to cut back significantly while allowing for a couple of beers on weekends and occasionally on a weeknight. I'm off this week and will limit myself to one per day. I think, for me, practicing moderation may be better than being "on" and "off." We'll see how it goes. Best wishes to everyone taking January off!

Mrstiffington, KRug, Bshaw22 and 16 others like this.
  12. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (39) Dec 5, 2019

Listen closely....it's the sound of weed sales blasting through the roof

Cashbail, deanzaZZR, KRug and 8 others like this.
  13. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (797) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

I plan to cut out two days or so a month drinking… I drink 3 days a week (Wed, Sat and Sun) but I’d like to start skipping every other Saturday to reduce consumption down a bit more than that. I’d rather curb my consumption and habits as a whole versus just one month.

Also continue to brew, buy and drink lower ABV beers.

14. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (39) Dec 5, 2019

I abstain from drinking Monday thru Friday 6pm....all year, with little deviation apart from the holiday season and vacations. Dry January doesn't make sense for me, and besides, I fucking loathe the idea of doing something purely based on trend. That being said, I need to focus on reducing the number of beers I consumer in a session/evening. This is challenging in the winter months (and summer too !!). I thought vaping THC would ease my desire for over-consuming, but all it really does is give me blackouts.

I will continue to try and self-improve, and for those who get that done via Dry January, best of luck. Me, I need to focus on the problem...not the month.

15. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,008) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I'm probably on a Dry January myself, also.

I've come down with a cold, and don't drink when sick. Since they last 3 weeks, or so with me, might as well be dry after I'm feeling better.

Shanex and vabeerguy like this.
  16. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,103) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I am doing it again this year. Well, until the 26th of January. Then I’ll be focused on eliminating consumption during the week and moderation on weekends. Doing so will have a positive impact on a number of other health considerations on which I really need to focus (weight loss, acid reflux and better sleeping).

It’s not really that hard, but if I have a challenge with committing I’ll just take up THC vaping to cope.

17. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (704) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I receive too much time-sensitive beer for Christmas, so instead of Dryuary I cut back until I've lost the 8-12 pounds that I've gained since Thanksgiving.

If I do take a month off, I prefer Feb after the Super Bowl. Hard to not throw some back during the playoff games.

18. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (24) Nov 5, 2019

I am cutting way back in January for two reasons. Mid to late 2019 led to a dramatic increase in stress related drinking due to the death of my mother-in-law and the severe deterioration of my mother’s health and her eventual nursing home placement due to Lewy Body Dementia. Second, à much needed break to Portugal and Spain for seventeen days in February will undoubtedly lead to a lot of wine consumption.

19. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Crusader (764) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Society Trader

I had a (distant) great uncle with Lewy Body, it was a really strange thing I'd never even heard of.

And Spain/Portugal is a great time. I never found much for beer, but the wine was okay :wink:

Junior, JayORear and vabeerguy like this.
  20. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (947) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I try to go dry for about 30 days after the Super Bowl. Doubt I could make to opening day of the baseball season.

21. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (24) Nov 5, 2019

I wouldn’t wish Lewy Body on anyone. A horrible disease that has eliminated my mother while keeping her alive. Second time for the Portugal/Spain thing. Good beer is not falling out of the trees but wine is abundant, cheap and generally of good quality.

Junior, NickTheGreat and vabeerguy like this.
  22. johnjohnbeer

johnjohnbeer Initiate (159) Oct 27, 2012 Ohio

I'm here with you. Doing Whole30 for January (which makes it a dry January). Usually do it twice a year to reset.

23. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (256) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I am not doing a dry January but I am doing a cut way back month and overall will probably go at least one week total without touching anything. I did very good over the holidays with food intake and avoided excess weight (actually lost a little) and the empty beer calories and carbs are the roadblock for right now.

How much were you drinking? I am always curious as to what intake is for folks.

Meh they are in the business of alcohol during a month that a trend can put a damper on their sales, no different to me than Chick Fil A saying eat more of their fast food chicken vs beef.

Junior and vabeerguy like this.
  24. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,567) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Trader

January is the slowest sales month across the industry, so they're just trying to minimize that impact.

Junior, vabeerguy and ESHBG like this.
  25. Glider

Glider Zealot (548) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Not doing dry January, although I was thinking about it. I usually try to avoid drinking two or three days a week and occasionally take a whole week off. Also try to limit myself to 3 drink equivalents (so usually max 2 beers) most nights.

5 or 6 drink equivalents is my limit even on bigger drinking days, as after that I am liable to wake up with bad anxiety in the middle of the night and feel crappy for a day or two.

Getting older is rough, I didn’t really have to worry about this stuff in my 20s and 30s.

26. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

My THC consumption is high (sorry) but doesn’t seem to have a positive impact on my beer consumption

Number1Framer, beerwego and vabeerguy like this.
  27. ESHBG

Same. And for me if they were all or mostly hoppy beers I get a headache/sinus type of feeling thing along with it.

And you are not kidding about the aging thing, I look back and wonder how I was able to consume so much AND still be functional the next day :grimacing:

VABA, LittleGus and vabeerguy like this.
  28. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (2,627) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

I started to post a history of my waxing and waning drinking habits from age 16 to now (age 68 this month) but realized that this was not the intended purpose of this thread. So I deleted it.

29. TheGent

Society Trader

My comment was tongue-in-cheek. You wouldn’t have know that though.

Junior and vabeerguy like this.
  30. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Initiate (34) Jan 20, 2019 Belgium
    Trader

I have a long history of alcoholism in my family. It has ruined many lives and negativity affected more. I abstained for the longest time, but after being in the military for a while, I started to enjoy a few beverages. To ensure I didn’t end up like many in my family, I decided to have a dry month twice a year. I love beer (and whiskey more), but I don’t need it. I use that month to make sure I continue to not “need” it.

31. Oconomowocian

Oconomowocian Initiate (130) Mar 25, 2018 Wisconsin
    Trader

I did 5 dry weeks after the taking the wife to Vegas for her birthday in late January last year. Dry Vegas had no appeal to me whatsoever. I freaking gained weight (?!?!?!) but I slept MUCH better. I was so pissed that about the weight gain but the sleep benefit was real. I'll do it again this year just not sure when I will start.

Junior and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  32. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,612) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Woowww a thread I can post in without feeling strange. I have been a dry January advocate for many years. I always felt this was a way to reset my body a little bit, as well as a "check-up" whether I have become an addictive drinker. It always felt excellent to take off a bit of weight, and find out I can stop drinking without great difficulty and withdrawal symptoms for a month, as well as temporarily resetting my alcohol tolerance.

Well, I am on a dry for the rest of my life track right now unless I can find a way to undo all the damage a life of excess and reckless disregard of my health has caused. Going on five months now of quitting almost everything I enjoy to consume. Found out I was wrong, I am addicted to alcohol. Though I didn't experience DT's there were plenty of other physical and mental effects that took almost three months to overcome completely. Giving up alcohol as well as caffeine, meat, cigars salt, sugar, all fats but olive oil, and all highly processed grains has done a number on me. The good of it is 45 pounds taken off and greatly improved physical endurance and overall health. The bad of it is my body is already very ruined and it is only sobriety that has allowed me to realize it. The complete change of lifestyle has put additional stress on my body that only now going on five months has begun to ease up as my changed up microbiome crew becomes accustomed to the new SOP's.

Good luck to all the dry January folks. You are doing more good for your minds and bodies than you probably are capable to realize. Cheers!

DIM, kjlcm, beertrip and 27 others like this.
  33. TheGent

Society Trader

I’m pretty confident I have been drinking enough beer lately that I will lose some weight! Sleep is one thing I am looking forward to improving. Instead of bouncing around the first couple stages of sleep I’ll get some REM.

Txex06, Junior, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  34. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (341) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

People who don't drink during January will punish Victory by... not buying Victory (or any other beer) in January?

I get what you're saying about the whompers and social justice warriors on twitter and whatnot but I don't think what you're saying really makes a lot of sense in the grand scheme of a large regional brewery

Singlefinpin and ESHBG like this.
  35. ESHBG

Were you working out more? Eating more and replacing the calories from not drinking?

Do you think that still lurking around here and posting can potentially derail your goals? How much were you drinking that led to your issues? I'm sorry to hear but happy that you are starting to feel better!

Singlefinpin and Junior like this.
  36. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (398) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

hangxiety is very real, and is easily the worst symptom of hangovers for me. I don’t get headaches or nauseous unless I really over-served myself, but even a normal night of consumption will disrupt my sleep and make my brain a living nightmare the next day.

I did dry January last year to see if it would ease my tinnitus (it didn’t affect it at all), but I felt like the best, clear-headed, and well-rested version of myself. Not to mention my bank account was looking handsome as well too!

37. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,612) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

I did at first think I wouldn't want to stay in touch, but now I find I get my drinking done vicariously through you guys by reading. I am also still active in the myco community even though there is no guarantee I will be able to get back into the deep woods ever again. These hobbies are integral to me, and it will be sad to distance myself completely.

And I am such a big mouth, I can't help but post occasionally when I read something that moves me to speak :grin:

38. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (3,253) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I could do a dry January, easy. Wait - you're talking beer? I thought you were talking...:wink:

I could do a dryish January. When are we starting?

Singlefinpin likes this.
  39. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,019) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’m going dry once the Eagles are done, whether it’s Monday or on SB Sunday. Back to the gym, no booze for 3 months, then only on a Sat night.

Everyone needs a break and football season ups my consumption by a lot.

Victory_Sabre1973 and cavedave like this.
  40. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Aspirant (281) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina

"All things in moderation, except for moderation."
    In

flaskman, Junior and nc41 like this.