"Dry January is pure evil to bars reeling from COVID"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,634) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

According to Johnny Oleksinski at the New York Post, participating in Dry January is now a "wholly selfish endeavor." :grimacing: What's your take?

NY Post. I know. I'll save you a click:
    https://nypost.com/2022/01/18/dry-january-is-pure-evil-to-bars-reeling-from-covid/

2. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,731) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I think I know Pabst's take.

3. beer_beer

beer_beer Zealot (596) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

They could have better supply of NA beers. They are selfish.

BuffaloBill12, IKR, JMN44 and 10 others like this.
  4. DokiDokiLitFam

DokiDokiLitFam Devotee (467) Jun 3, 2019 New Jersey

Self-righteous sobriety? Are there people who actually do Dry January just for the bragging rights?

Singlefinpin, Raime, Bshaw22 and 12 others like this.
  5. beer_beer

Society

Maybe they want it to be extended to February?

IKR, carolinabeerguy, micada and 4 others like this.
  6. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,765) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

If I was closely following dry January, which I am not, it’d be for health related reasons, after the Holidays season which are never sober.

For some other reason, I am mostly drinking at home during rough winter days. Don’t blame me for not going out in the cold, we have spring and summer to make up for the bars and pubs.

7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,883) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Would you go to a bar and spend the same amount of money on a NA beer as a regular one?

And are people going to order the same amount of NA beers as they do regular beers when they're out?

What if you're a wine or cocktail drinker? Whiskey person?

I'm not saying people are selfish who do dry January. But I don't think bars having more NA beers would solve the problem. Also, what are they doing with all that stock come February 1st? Should they change their inventory just for one month?

Most of my bars do carry Athletic for what it's worth.

8. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Poo-Bah (3,033) Dec 7, 2010 Idaho
    Society Trader

I was drinking around 10-12 beers a week from November through December and the holidays. Something like an extra 4000-4500 calories by my simple math. Dry January is a needed reset for me. Has nothing to do with me holding it over anyone's head.

Drinking so much that I become physically and mentally unhealthy seems like more of a selfish endeavor to me but whatever.

9. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,815) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Well, there is always the option for people to remain on the wagon for good come Feb 1st. This would then get rid of his mild annoyance and also help, oh wait,...

10. beer_beer

Society

Yes, they could adapt. There are NA whisky/rum/gin alternatives too, especially for cocktails. And of course NA wine, plenty. Could make a lot of money too, if using some smart marketing strategy.

11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,438) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Maybe BA can start a 'movement' to change the dry month from January to February? :thinking_face:

Because choosing the shortest month would be better! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

12. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,261) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I guess Sober October is not attended well enough to get an article, or are things just that slow for news in NYC? Maybe he should have a pint to relax? Certainly sounds like he could find a good seat.

To be fair, I don't think Dry January has ever had any significant amount of "holier than thou" vibe. Certainly some people could present it that way, but it's the same with other health related decisions, i.e. nutrition choices, exercise regiments, rules on when to consume, etc. etc.. Regardless, there will always be others who are upset when you make decisions in your own best interest, so ultimately, do what is right for you.

13. Resistance88

Resistance88 Disciple (367) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

That guys an asshole .
    What a pointless self righteous article :sunglasses:

People who worry or whine about what other people do are cowards and can fuck off.
    So you aren't profiting from your marked up beer that you sell. Deal with it.
    Here's a headline : Business owner sad people are doing stuff

14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,429) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Have you ever read a BeerAdvocate thread about beer and weight loss or fitness? Some have even featured "beefcake" style photos...:astonished:

15. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,765) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

You have me worried about the term « beefcake » and I’d rather not Google it, what does it mean in a few words instead of a photo?

16. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (345) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't think I would call anyone making a decision not to drink for any reason selfish.

17. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,479) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I would think there might be an element of curiosity that could exist that would get customers into the bars to experience these NA beverages if the bars did a little promoting of it. The trend is for many people to have a healthier lifestyle, so this might be a way for the bars to embrace the situation and join in (and profit from it).

18. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,120) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

With the exception of music work I personally have not been going to bars/restaurants for months now due to the high transmission of the covid/omicron virus but my wife & I order food for pick up from local places. We don't feel safe now sitting there drinking. However I do support liquor stores by masking up & going beer shopping fairly regularly and I'm gonna continue to do it. If I need to 'dry out' it will happen when it needs to happen and not when a shower of people do it. IMHO Dry January is lame and it seems rather queer to schedule a dry out. (No offense to folks doing it. It's just not for me.) I feel sorry for struggling businesses and would agree that an observed Dry January, especially now, is causing further economic damage to them and others within the food/bev/entertainment industries. The days will come soon when bars are packed but for some not soon enough. Time for a beer now!

Singlefinpin, DIM, meanmutt and 2 others like this.
  19. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,479) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Picture the Chippendales and you got it. (The men, not the furniture.:wink:)

20. jesskidden

Society Trader

The male version of "cheesecake" pics - the latter being 'G' (maybe into 'PG') photos of attractive young women in skimpy outfits or bathing suits, the sort that might decorate the calendar in a barber shop or the front office of the local gas station. (So, not the same calendar one might find in the employees-only Men's room or the inside lid of the mechanic's Kennedy box).

Heck, since we're discussing the New York Post do they still have Page Six girls? (Haven't picked or thrown down in disgust a copy of The Post since I retired - there was always a issue bouncing around the shop.)
    Not the Disney chipmunks, either.:grin:

21. budsNpils

budsNpils Initiate (118) Aug 6, 2021 Texas
    Trader

1 of my theories here but I would think that after a month of sobriety people would be hitting the bars/pubs and restaurants to do some catching up. Might be slow January but I would think it would pick back up in February. Not to mention people were just super active/busy for Christmas/new years . As much as I'd like to we can't be going balls to the wall 24/7, sometimes life calls for a break.
    I do feel for local and small businesses on their last leg tho. If dry January was going to make or break your business I'd be reevaluating my business plan.

22. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (396) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I would expect a drug dealer to be upset when their users dry up (pun intended) so no surprise here.

Any goal one is aiming for is scheduled, not sure why this would need to be any different.

rozzom, SP23, BigIronH and 6 others like this.
  23. kp7

kp7 Initiate (90) Feb 8, 2021 Massachusetts

Seems like just another bizarre perception of how our bodies work. "I was binge drinking for 4 weeks so I'm going to stay sober for 4 weeks to offset it." Um... Pretty sure it doesn't work that way. If these "mostly young people" as the article says spent some more time on the wagon of moderation I bet they would be happier as they could drink without regret the year around...and probably remember more of the holidays as well.

On a side note, if the breweries/bars are feeling the impact of the capriciousness of young drinkers, maybe they could brew/serve some more classic styles instead of going all in on the NEIPA/slush/desert stout craze.

And yes, I realize that this post is a self-righteous complaint against the self-righteous other.

Prager62, Scotchboy, SILVER and 6 others like this.
  24. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,092) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Seems to me that Mr. Oleksinski's article is a smashing success. People are talking about it.

25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,028) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I suppose I could just go xSTRAIGHTEDGEx and really make some change.

Scotchboy, Urk1127, Rug and 2 others like this.
  26. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,957) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Depends on how hard one binge drinks but if you binged for the buzz then just drank 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off will be good for you.

Being overweight is far more unhealthy than drinking beer everyday.

Junior, Urk1127, BigIronH and 3 others like this.
  27. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,733) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

January is always the slow month. Folks have all the holiday gatherings to go to, and all the bills to pay. Having a quasi-organized movement like this just hurts more.

I guess folks don't want to do it in February, cuz ya need drinks for the Superb Owl. Can't do it in March cuz St. Paddy's. April is tax day, so folks gotta drink then. May, you're into Summer drinking season........

28. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,120) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Most of my goals have no schedule. I can't speak for anyone else but myself. Cheers!

Singlefinpin and Shanex like this.
  29. Providence

Providence Crusader (793) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I will start drinking twice as much to help out.

30. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,040) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Not having a cocaine addiction is annoyingly self righteous in a normal year, but it's down right selfish in a year where covid and access to prescription stimulants has Bolivian peasant farmers reeling!

31. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Poo-Bah (1,800) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Society Trader

What?! I'll do whatever I want.

It's not my responsibility to keep someone else's establishment running.

Squire, burp2021, Ozzylizard and 10 others like this.
  32. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (134) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

Doesn't have to be a month, just a period of time. Like say the day after the Super Bowl until the 1st day of the baseball season. I try that every year, without much sucess! :confused:

ilikebeer03, PapaGoose03 and Junior like this.
  33. cid71

cid71 Initiate (141) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Hes nothing but a troll

BrewmanCapote and VABA like this.
  34. o29

o29 Disciple (342) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

But wait, he's right! Taking care of yourself is selfish. How self-obsessed does one need to be to actively take precautions to preserve one's own long-term health? Very selfish, indeed!

I suppose we should all be encouraging others not to drink since that is a selfless goal still aimed at improving health. I bet Johnny would really get behind that goal.

35. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,438) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

36. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,393) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Meh.

Hoss' steak house says the same about folks who go Vegan. Frito Lay says the same about folks who join weight watchers. Exxon says the same about Tesla drivers yadda yadda yadda...

37. jesskidden

Society Trader

Farriers said the same thing about the automobile... Oh, wait.

38. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,393) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

lol

Not gonna lie, had to look that one up.

39. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,012) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I’d like to assume it’s some type of tongue in cheek thing but if it’s not some sort of trolling of very dry humor, I can not imagine taking time off alcohol for a “cleanse” or any health reason to be selfish lol. Plus covid is still a very real thing. But I’m the outlier introvert who prefers to stay home.

40. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,012) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I have a straight edge tattoo on my hand lmfao. The irony of it all