Dryuary/Dry January (2022)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cavedave, Jan 1, 2022.

1. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,096) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Dryuary / Dry January 2022

I'm someone who always took a month off. I thought it was good to clear the palate and clean the body. I also thought it was good to know I could go a month without drinking alcohol, for all the obvious reasons. I have found all those things to be true. Herbal and fruit teas helped me to replace beer as comfort beverage is the first thing I'll share. My thought is this thread will be a way for us to encourage and share with each other.

--- In past discussions the main questions have been ---
    -What are your goals?
    -Why do you want to do this?
    -Are you/did you reach your goals?
    -Hardest part of it?
    -Best benefit from it?
    -Would you do it again?
    -What will be your first beer in February?

Those seem like worthy questions, but also let's make this an open and fun thing, where we can add our own questions to the mix, and give answers to questions not yet asked. :grin:

Cheers!

2. Brook82

Brook82 Initiate (190) Oct 21, 2018 Ohio

Not hard to do and if helps me lose Holiday lbs. Will drink Bell's Double Cream Stout some time in Feb as the year's first beer.

Jaycase, Bluecrow, Whyteboar and 5 others like this.
  3. BigIronH

BigIronH Meyvn (1,376) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Usually I would attempt something like this but my third child is due Monday and that calls for a beer.

I try to pretty much go 4 days out of every week without alcohol, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

I would like to go a whole month but the daily grind makes it an afterthought. The beer buzz that welcomes me with open arms on a Friday night is much appreciated and anticipated to a certain degree.

Overall, I’m not sure I’ll do a whole month dry. I do want to try a full week which would amount to about 11 days without. My main reason is basically to prove to myself I don’t need to drink every weekend, which in my heart of hearts I know will be difficult.

Cheers Dave, and all who choose to dry up this January or any month. No matter what your reason I support you.

4. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,213) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Good luck to all those celebrating Dryuary!

I won't be joining in the festivities but have fun everyone else!

Providence, laketang, gr8ful and 20 others like this.
  5. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,764) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

I like tea but I’m more a coffee guy. It’s a worthy replacement to beer and caffeine hardly prevents me to sleep anyway.

While I’m totally interested in attempting Dry January (Didn’t start off well if we count that past night…), I think I will rather self discipline and limit myself to maybe a couple of beers per week.

Main reasons are the same as you’ve stated: cleaning the body, palate and start over. Losing some few extra pounds too, which count as a nice benefit. I’d do it again and even on lengthier periods.

Being totally honest here, but last October until up to mid November I managed to be sober for over three weeks. The weight loss was quick and near incredible along a better diet. Totally worthy.

VABA, SABERG, TCgenny and 17 others like this.
  6. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,733) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I don't do a dry month, but I always seem to not drink at least a couple days a week. Last June I started No Beer Mondays (Monday seemed to be a day I didn't drink much anyway) and No Calorie Tuesday (nothing but water, and maybe a diet Dr. Pepper if I need something with flavor. Water is boring.) I dropped about 30lbs over the summer, but as the days shortened, and it got chillier, I've been slipping a bit. Need to refocus.

7. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,213) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

There are days where I don't drink any alcohol and even when I do, I'm usually a one and done.
    It's rare that I have multiple drinks in a night.

8. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,325) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I’m attempting dry January- cutting out alcohol, sugared beverages, and hopefully coffee. I’m sure one bad day at the office will derail all these.

9. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Devotee (467) Aug 24, 2020 California

The whole timing of this just sucks hugely, IMO. I have a fridge full of really nice beers that I collected and ended up not sharing as much as planned over the holidays, plus a kitchen full of high-calorie treats that did not get finished over the holidays. I thought I saw light at the end of the tunnel, but yesterday a most excellent pecan pie from TX showed up on my doorstep courtesy of a client. I'll be damned if I'm going to give this stuff away or put it in storage for a month. I plan to reduce the beers to a couple a week and up the amount of exercise and reduce carbs, and eat more chicken/fish/veggies and less of that holiday beef+potatoes+bread stuff. Rather than a radical month, I figure it will be more like a 3-4 month modification of lifestyle with a target of 2-3 lbs/month

TCgenny, Bluecrow, Whyteboar and 14 others like this.
  10. cavedave

Society Trader

Always easier to do things with friends. I always consider any BA a friend. (Heck, I was that guy who would walk into a craft beer bar in a new city and just shout out, "Any BA's here?" to most easily find the friendliest folks who had best info about where to enjoy the finest beer.) It would be great if this thread makes it like we're doing this all together!

11. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,380) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

12. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 Aspirant (269) Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania
    Society

I don’t do dry Januarys. I drink Friday and Saturday evenings. Occasionally a Sunday afternoon, maybe once a month. Since I have a physically demanding job I have to be clear headed Monday-Friday. Being a UPS driver has me burning a lot of calories 5 days a week (6 days/ week November and December)

13. BigIronH

Society Trader

On weeknights, I’m right there with you. Come weekends though I will usually have several drinks between beer and bourbon or cocktails and other shots.

Shanex, TCgenny, JohnnyHopps and 4 others like this.
  14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,479) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I was hoping to go dry for January but my beer management is poor and I ended up with too many hoppy beers in the fridge that I don't want to age any longer. I've been drinking NA beers about every third beer (an excuse for my faulty beer management) and will continue drinking them, but after the beer fridge is cleared I'll try to give it all up for 30 days. Or maybe I'll do it in February when I can get away with 28 days. :wink:

15. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (396) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Not to discourage anyone because resets are good and one did me wonders but unless you are a heavy drinker don't expect to see/feel many benefits from only 30 days. I am throwing this out there because I have seen people get discouraged at the end of it because they didn't get the results they expected and feel as if it wasn't worth it, which can discourage them from trying it again. It is always worth it, as alcohol is a poison and empty calories after all, but it's good to know the facts going into it.

Some useful info and "sober curious" was funny to me ha ha:

https://www-yahoo-com.cdn.ampprojec...appens-without-alcohol-30-days-140043535.html

Jaycase, Bluecrow, Whyteboar and 12 others like this.
  16. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,401) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I’m in for DryJanuary!

I have done a dry January for the past few years. It “resets the clock” and starts the year off in a fresh new direction. I am doing it in part for my new year’s health resolution, I want to reduce my carbohydrate, sugar and alcohol consumption. I will combine it with more exercise. My plan is to lose 10% of my current body weight and not drinking beer will make that goal easier to reach.

A year ago I wiped out on the ski slopes which led to a May shoulder surgery followed by months of recovery and rehabilitation. The surgery was successful and my physical therapist is using me as a case study for her doctoral thesis on recovery methods. I want to push myself to see how far it can get my range of motion and strength back. I would like to get back on the soccer field as a player and not only as a referee.

I always focus on beer quality over quantity in my beer consumption. The variety of beers from new locales also appeals to me. Thanks to the BIF’s, I get a great assortment. My business travels allow me to sample new local beers.

1) What are your goals? Lose 10% of my body weight by the traditional start of the outdoor soccer season in April. Started today with 1/2 spin peloton class where I finished in the top 10% and have embarked on a 6 week weight training / stretching program. Want to et more sleep each night. Plan to drink at least 100oz of water / day.

2) Why do you want to do this? Health and to reset my palate. I enjoy a really crisp, NEIPA and smooth flavoraful stout ( had a Ralphius last night, delicious).

3) Are you/did you reach your goals? Not yet but I am only 1 day into this plan.

4) Hardest part of it? Dry January really isn’t that hard, it is a conscious decision. The hardest part will be reducing my sugar consumption and drinking the water. I have a sweet tooth and my wife is a great baker. Fresh baked cookies everyday and she makes some pretty amazing scones, too. Drinking 100 ounces of water will be the single hardest part. I drink liquids for flavor and pure, simple water never really appealed to me ( prefer coconut water, body armor, etc.). Gonna imitate a race horse if you catch my drift.

5) Best benefit from it? I feel great after today’s hour workout. Have the northeast regional futsal tournament on MLK weekend and this should be great preparation for this tourney as well. Excuse me while a visit the restroom…

6) Would you do it again? Absolutely

7) What will be your first beer in February? Hmm..I have a great “stable” of beers received thru BIF’s from some tremendous beer nerds this past year ( @snaotheus , @Whyteboar , @ovaltine , @colts9016 , @FBarber , @foundersasap , @Roguer , @JayORear @BBThunderbolt et. Al. ). I have some Fremont’s, Hop Butcher’s, treehouse, transient, Barrique, et.al. Chilling in the fridge…let’s see what appeals to me in February. :wink:

Prosit! ….nur mit wasser….!!!!

#16 WunderLlama, Jan 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    SABERG, Jaycase, Bluecrow and 16 others like this.
  17. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,105) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

After this holiday weekend ends, I probably won't touch beer again for at least a month. I may have some for my birthday in February, or I may not. I may partake again around St Patrick's Day, or I may not. All depends on how my fitness goals are progressing, and if I can't afford many extra calories or the testosterone production and sleep quality hit any alcohol consumption provides, welp.

It's largely around major holidays or favorite beer seasons (mmm, marzen) that I partake these days.

TCgenny, Bluecrow, Whyteboar and 5 others like this.
  18. stosh66

stosh66 Initiate (126) Jan 7, 2013 Pennsylvania

Good Luck to all the Dry January participants!

19. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,219) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Congrats on the coming arrival of your third @BigIronH

Jaycase, Bluecrow, Whyteboar and 6 others like this.
  20. eagles22

eagles22 Devotee (442) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Same

Whyteboar, beerjerk666 and BigIronH like this.
  21. eagles22

eagles22 Devotee (442) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I got a 12 pack of fresh Pliny coming on the 4th ..so you know what my answer will be

22. BigIronH

Society Trader

Thanks brother. If you have a barleywine on hand, I’m thinking 2 pm on Monday I’m gonna go ahead and swig a B5K, you’re more than welcome to join me if you wouldn’t mind. Cheers, Jon.

JHDStein, Jaycase, Whyteboar and 7 others like this.
  23. Steve555

Steve555 Disciple (342) Jun 8, 2020 Wales

If I go six days without a beer I make sure to tell people. Seriously, a whole month!

Then again the missus gave me the eyes today as I once again reached for the freezer to speed cool another beer. I keep telling her to compensate me in other ways if I go easy on the suds but that doesn't seem to work.

I'm doing okay in the gym but the poundage doesn't shift so I may try a dry half month as a compromise. I will start on the 16th January.

24. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,479) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Hmmm, the origins of a forced nap. You may be needing all the sleep that you can get. Congrats ahead of time. :slight_smile:

25. mushroomcloud

mushroomcloud Poo-Bah (3,188) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Society

Good luck to all,
    @cavedave Hope you are well!

Whyteboar, eppCOS, Shanex and 3 others like this.
  26. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,120) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Oooooo! Less competition at the beer store for me! Sweet!! Be safe! Be well!

27. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,028) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I'm not doing dry January, but that being said I try to drink minimally these days. In lieu of beer I have enjoyed NA beers as an alternative, but the sugar content is a bit much. I sub in LA croix or liquid death a lot as well. Why do I keep my drinking to a minimum? So I don't wind up with the DT's in a drunk tank. So I don't wreck my liver. So my kids can learn that drinking isn't an answer to problems. If I'm having a shitty day, no beer. If I am in any mood except happy, no beer. I know my habits and mental limitations, and avoid pushing the limits as a result.

28. cavedave

Society Trader

Cool! I hope people feel free to join in at any time and for how long they want to do. Honestly,, I view just getting people to think about if/why they do or don't want to take a break for a month is a positive thing. BTW, very familiar with "the eye", ex no. 2 had one that could be scary.

I am forced by health to basically do dry January every month, and there is NOTHING like the taste of that one beer a month. What is more natural than doing it with you guys for January? February 1 beers are gonna be enjoyed by folks here with fresh palate, kicked back tolerance to alcohol, and great relief. That right there makes it (almost?) worthwhile :wink:

29. Steve555

Steve555 Disciple (342) Jun 8, 2020 Wales

Sorry ti hear
    Sorry to hear about your health problems.

I tell myself I'm not so bad but I guess the thousands of beers I've had in my time all add up. No binges for me anymore but the government tells me just 14 units a week! That's hardly anything. I think I will cut down though as a result of your post.

Bluecrow, Whyteboar, Shanex and 3 others like this.
  30. Junior

Junior Champion (845) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I’ll be doing a dry January. I’m cheating a bit and starting tomorrow. I’ve tried this the last two years with mixed results. The first year I made it 25 days, had a few beers on Saturday and then took two more weeks off. It really helped reset things and I lost a few things. Things did not go as well last year.

31. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,779) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I’ve been doing dry January for quite a while now and I’ll begin for me tomorrow as the 2 Days of Christmas BIF, run here on BA goes through today. I do have two more IPAs I need to finish off tonight as well.

Good luck to those participating. my main reason is to make sure I can go a month without alcohol and how good that first beer on February 1st tastes. It’s something you can’t explain, you have to taste.

SABERG, Bluecrow, Whyteboar and 5 others like this.
  32. beer_beer

beer_beer Zealot (596) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Good luck to you all! My "dry January" has lasted four years, but it is filled with good NA. Just came to think about it, if here is anybody who has cut out alcohol altogether, please tell. Regular posters, lurkers, everybody!

desint, JHDStein, SFACRKnight and 9 others like this.
  33. foundersasap

foundersasap Disciple (348) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I’ve wanted to try this for many years but never did. This year I’m all in. Have not been sober for a month since I was 13 lol. Picked up a few NA six packs and they are “not bad”. Day 1 benefit, slept like a rock last night!

34. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,481) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I'm booze free 5/7 days of the week for the most part

PS - why do folks always do dry January vs other months of the year? Just curious?

August not good enough?

SFACRKnight, Whyteboar and eppCOS like this.
  35. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,953) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

I'm pledging to do a dryER January, but not completely dry. Wife's birthday falls in this month, multiple social occasions with friends delayed but impending, etc. So it'll be some dry days, and for those who know, I love me some N/A action almost every day.... so I'll be stocking up on my favorite placebos. Cheers, and good luck!

36. BillAfromSoCal

I assume it is for the same reason Jan. is full of dieters and people doing New Years resolutions; i.e., to compensate for holiday behavior that is not sustainable and to take advantage of that somewhat made-up designation of a "new" year. Personally, Feb is my month to start making big changes. Too hard to diet with the kitchen counter still full of mega-calorie treats.

37. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (134) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

Not January, I try to stay dry from the Monday after the Super Bowl until the Yankees season opener. There is one exception my birthday in early March.

38. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Defender (661) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

This is a good rule and one I need to work on. I find myself making plans to drink during the middle of shitty days. It turns my mood around. Maybe I subconsciously manufacture them? Maybe I should be talking to a therapist instead of keyboard-rambling on a message board?

I've been thinking of adding dry July every year. That gives a dry stretch every six months and July is enough of a dehydrated hellscape on it's own. No need to throw hangover atop the misery pile.

39. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (396) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Another thing to throw out there: if you make it through dry Jan. successfully do not use it as an excuse to drink heavily again starting in Feb. There's data that showed that 11% of people actually drank more once they did the six month lookback after their dry Jan. I used to fall into this mentality trap too: hey I worked out hard, I can treat myself (and part of that was because my body was screaming for fuel after an intense workout). Not paying close enough attention, I added back all and sometimes more calories than I had just worked off!

This benefit is huge for me. If I drink just the right amount I usually don't have issues sleeping but if I go over that delicate balance even slightly I am screwed.

From what I have seen it is because of the new year and for a reset after the holidays and when people can overindulge. I don't think that it's a good month to use, though, as some folks have things that carry over into Jan., if you are Orthodox your Christmas is in Jan., it can be a shock to the system which can impact success... Feb. is a shorter month of course but I think that one or another one would have been a better choice.

40. BillAfromSoCal

Oh don't do that! I'm sure that lots of BA members would be happy to tell you what is wrong with you for no cost at all!

cavedave and Whyteboar like this.