Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Duluth: Memorial day Weekend

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by ZAP, May 20, 2013.

1. ZAP

ZAP

Anything of note going on in Dulute(Duluth) Memorial Day weekend? Going to spend the weekend there with my wife.

On the agenda:

-Fitger's..lunch and beers and stock up on some growlers
    -Pizza at Thirsty Pagean..probably have a beer or two but not real impressed with their beer...Pizza is a different story
    -Pick up a few growlers from Canal Park since they fill any growlers and my first impression of their beer was good.. Maybe have a pint or two there as well.
    -Maybe an Anchor Bar burger although the wife seems lukewarm on that idea

-I heard Bent Paddle is now open....not sure if it is a tap room or brew pub or what but might try to hit that..

**Anything else anyone would suggest or any events, etc?

2. minnesotaryan

canal park fills any growlers?

3. dc55110

Beer Trader

If your willing to go to Superior for Pizza and don't care too much about the beer, you need to do yourself a favor and to Shamrock Bar & Pizza. They make the quintessential Midwest style pizza: thin cracker crust, cut into squares, loaded with cheese and heaped with toppings. Their smoked pepperoni is beyond description; they make the best taco, cheeseburger, mexican pizzas ever. The beer is mostly BMC, but they usually have Summit or New Glarus ontap. They are located on the far south side of Superior, past the airport on Tower Ave (5825 Tower Ave), you'll feel like you've gone too far but you haven't.

4. DoctorRock

Beer Trader

Bent Paddle is open, with a taproom & worth checking out.

5. Hopsiam14

Beer Trader

100% correct about shamrock.

6. ZAP

ZAP

You guys think it's better than Thirsty Pagean Pizza? Different styles it sounds like.

7. ZAP

ZAP

Yes they do. So does Barley John's.... Funny how they can do it and have no problem doing it but all the other places say you have to buy their glass too.

8. dc55110

Beer Trader

It is the best pizza for many miles around. As I said, I feel it defines the "Midwest" style pizza. It's better than Red Savoy's, which otherwise is the gold standard for the style.

Hopsiam14 and Chaz like this.
  9. incutrav

Interesting. I know in the past folks have noted that Granite City will fill others on occasion, that is probably more due to training issues.

Their must be a loophole that Barley Johns /Canal Park are implementing? Will they take any growler in exchange for one of thiers, or do they fill the actual growler you bring in? Vine Park in St. Paul does the former.

10. MNPikey

Beer Trader

I would hit up Burrito Union (owned by Fitgers and similiar to Chipotle....only better).

Also, hit up Warehouse Liquors and pick up some Borealis Fermentery beers.

Check out Bent Paddle and even take a drive a bit farther north and stop at Castle Danger for a growler.

djschnabel likes this.
  11. ZAP

ZAP

I honestly don't think the law states you have to use growlers with your brew pubs name on it. I think so many have said that for so many years it has been something that is taken as fact when it may not be. I think some places just want to use their own glassware and use it as an excuse. For some it makes sense like Fitger's and Town Hall where they pre-fill their growlers. And others may make that business decision for a different reason but I honestly do not think the law is that strict otherwise how can these two fill others growlers.

I went to Canal Park and had a Fitger's growler filled. I went to Barley John's and had a Rock Bottom growler filled.

Other places at times will do a growler trade in for one with their name on it. That is cool too. The new places that do neither lose my growler business because I am not adding anymore to my vast collection filling up my shelf. I'm just done trying to have a growler with every breweries name on it so I can buy their beer. I have a ton from Fitger's and Town Hall and many other misc. ones that I will fill at places that fill other growlers.

gatornation and incutrav like this.
  12. mnbrewery

It is actually illegal in MN to do so. Don't like the law, but it is the law.

13. ZAP

ZAP

I think it is how you interpret the law. That's what I was told. How do these other places do it if it is illegal? Do you have the exact verbiage of what the law states by chance?

14. mnbrewery

The containers shall be identified as malt liquor, contain the name of the malt liquor, bear the name and address of the brewer selling the malt liquor, and shall be considered intoxicating liquor unless the alcoholic content is labeled as otherwise in accordance with the provisions of Minnesota Rules, part 7515.1100.

15. Chaz

Beer Trader

16. Chaz

Beer Trader

If they still offer their 'Green Chili' -and they even make a pizza with it- give it a try. :cool:

17. ZAP

ZAP

Cool. Thanks. I guess they must be getting by slapping a paper label on it with the the name of the malt liquor, and the name and address of the brewer? It does not say it has to be their own glass growler I guess if you read it that way. Not sure.

Something that should be changed either way to allow for better sales for these breweries/brew pubs in my opinion. I think the brewery/pub should decide how they want to do it. Fitger's/Town Hall pre-fill and it makes sense to just use their own although who knows perhaps they would allow it too in some cases....not sure.

I'm just at the point where I have my growlers for my key places like Fitger's and Town Hall (I've got about six of each of theirs) and that's good enough for me. I'll just get beer from those places since they are the best of the best anyhow but any new upstarts lose my growler cash since I will not buy any more. If they fill other growlers then it is a different story like I said.

18. 46and2

This is some good info on Duluth, thanks guys :) I'm in Sandstone (50 miles south of Duluth, between the cities and ZERO good restaurants or beer places around here) and the wife and I pilgrimage up to Fitger's once a month on cheat day or so, now we need to try some other stuff!

In other news, the water was so cold still last (my) weekend that we were catching coho off the shore in Canal Park! ZAP likes his protein obviously and I coolered about 24lbs of fillets for $0 cost ;) Going through it quick at 230g protein per day though!

ZAP and Hopsiam14 like this.
  19. nogophers

Paper/sticky label. I have a generic stoneware growler received as a gift from my trophy wife (she gives the gift of beer!). No problem getting it filled yet.

20. maDUECEgunner

Beer Trader

My favorite place to grab a beer is definitely Dubh Lynn's Irish Pub on Superior St. You can never go wrong with Fitger's and Burrito Union. Haven't heard of any events for the weekend yet

21. ZAP

ZAP

Do they brew there at Dubh Lynn and if so any recommendations? Thanks..Is that the one close to the head shop there...if so I think I was there a few years ago...

22. jera1350

I believe they brew their own beer there. It's literally a block down from Fitgers.

Last year I had a mint stout, a cinnamon beer and a potato stout. All three were solid. I like that they were pretty unique beers. Prices were reasonable also. Worth checking out if you are going to be at Fitgers anyways.

23. incutrav

Carmody Pub brews as well, decent stuff. Three brewpubs within walking distance of each other!

24. mnbrewery

Dubh Lynn is on Superior St., but downtown. Carmody is a block down from Fitger's. Also, I have heard different things about Dubh Lynn....I mostly hear that nobody has ever seen their brewery, they don't give tours and the other thing I have heard is that South Shore brews their beer....just sayin'.

25. jera1350

Crap, I was talking about Carmody, got them mixed up.

Been to Dubh Lynn too (downtown) and the beer was good, not great. Last year, their website said they brewed their own beer, but when we got there, neither our waitress nor our menu could tell us whether the beer was brewed on site or not. No visual evidence that it was. Seems like the South Shore rumor is the more likely source.

26. maDUECEgunner

Beer Trader

There is a list on a giant chalkboard of their brews at Dubh Lynn's. I tried their Potato Stout and and a few others. I was pissed that they were out of the the Maple ale, because it was recommended by a lot of people. I might hit up Canal Park Brewing Company (in Canal Park of course) this weekend to see how they are.

27. jera1350

You mean at Carmody, right?

28. maDUECEgunner

Beer Trader

No, I had a potato stout at Dubh Lynn's on St. Patty's day weekend

29. jera1350

Thought maybe you got the two mixed up like I did. I'm just confusing myself now.

30. maDUECEgunner

Beer Trader

It
    It's all good. I just realized that I have been spelling Dubh Linn's wrong the whole time. I kinda want to go there this weekend and question them more about where their beer is brewed. I doubt it's on site.

31. derekpk

Damn. Why didn't I think of that while I was there last weekend. I was there with the girlfriend's family so I didn't have time for taprooms. Also, if you go as far north as Grand Marais, the Gunflint Tavern has decent tap selection and the menu was looking pretty tasty.

32. jera1350

Kind of doubt it too. Curious to know as well. Maybe they have the wort shipped in and ferment it there like Staple Mills :eek:.

33. Tamarack22

Fitgers has a tremendous DIPA on tap & growler right now; The Mayor. Dare I say the best tap in Duluth this fine weekend. Bent Paddle & Canal Park are worth a visit. But if you only have time for one, I'd recommend The Mayor.

mnbrewery likes this.
  34. stinsonwbs

Recommend the Gose and DIPA at Fitgers and definitely spend some time at Bent Paddle! They open at 1.

35. mjryan

Stopped at Canal Park and Fitgers on my way to Tettaguche. Canal Park was pretty cool, nice looking place with great beer. The Mayor is a damn fine beer, bought two growlers. I think they were $18 each though haha. Also grabbed a growler of Duluth Pale Ale, hoppy lower abv beer, I think I liked it even more than the Mayor.

36. ZAP

ZAP

Just got back...some great advice on this thread so thanks to everyone..

Quick summary:

Bent Paddle: Excellent IPA. It will be in cans this summer and will be well worth seeking out. I did not try the dark ale as it is just not my thing really.

Canal Park: Very good hefe. Stoned Surf IPA is also very good. Darker in color than most. ESB was solid. Got a growler of the Stoned Surf the first night and a growler of the hefe to take back. They do NOT fill any growler any more. Bartender thought it was a business decision rather than a law they had to follow. Anyhow their customer service was top notch in regards to this and I left happy and will be heading back many times with my Canal Park growler. They are also not validating parking in the summer I guess. Don't blame them that is a $3 hit on their bottom line every time someone walks in. In the Twin Cities you expect to have to pay parking at some places (Town Hall, Rock Bottom) but in outstate MN this is different but not much you can do about it.

Fitgers: They had just run out of the Governor when I got there. Had half a pitcher of it still so I got a pint off that. It was good. I picked up two growlers today and am drinking it right now and it is more than good. Top notch. I agree with the thoughts comparing it to Abrasive...right in that neighborhood. Had Superior Trail IPA on cask which was solid and their oatmeal stout aged on coffee and vanilla beans which was good. Solid burger and kickass beer fries.

Castle Danger: Found this at a pub on the northshore and then later again at 7West in Duluth. Nice tasty, malty ale. Not a pale ale by any stretch of the imagination...more of a hyrbid ale of some sort...ESBish if anything...

7West: Decent beer bar that reminds of JL Beers in Fargo/Grand Forks, etc. Nice selection of the locals. Had another Bent Paddle here as well as Castle Danger. Guess they have Borealis Fermentery beers on tap at times but just the bottles and I did not try. Figured it was way marked up at $17 a bottle and I'd just get a bottle or two at Warehouse on the way out of town (which I did) but they had it at $13 so the markup was reasonable.

Tycoons: Walked down past the squad cars at "Last Place left on earth"..resisted the urge to browse their urine cleaner and synthetic pot selection (I am kidding) and got to Tycoons unscathed. Wife wondered why such a nice place would be located next to a hole like that and I wasn't sure what to tell her....Liked Tycoons. Fitger's beers...classy feel...quiet..elegant......I usually like music like GNR, Metellica, Pearl Jam, etc but took a liking to their oldies selections playing overhead...nice relaxing stop...

Shamrocks Pizza: The buzz was right...one of the better pizza's I've had....I'd read negatives on their service and decor but I thought the service was good...decor, etc was better than some pizza joints I've been in....reasonable prices...had the bacon cheeseburger pizza and really liked it but almost wish I would have gone straight sausage or pepperoni to better compare it to others (that is what I usually order)...beer selection was as expected not very good...went with a Leinie Red...they also had summit pale ale but I worried on the age on that beer at a place like this that offered up Schlitz and Old Mil on their menu...probably should have gone Schlitz in retrospect.

Thirsty Pagean: Stopped to get a growler fill and a pint and was surprised to see the new look bar. Much improved set-up. Cool band was playing doing Neal Young and Tom Petty etc...and then I watched deep dish after deep dish pizza come past me...despite just eating pizza at Shamrocks I found myself lusting after these pizzas as they came past me. Couldn't talk the wife into ordering another pizza though so my one regret is not working this into the mix somehow as well this weekend....place had a nice buzz....beer was improved in my opinion...clean...nothing off....took home a growler of their anniversary ale which had a nice sweetish maltiness and some a pretty cool hop bill including falconer's flight and a couple others I can't remember...

Warehouse Liqours: Finally stopped here to get Borealis Fermentery beers. Cool place. A lot of beers and good customer service...prices are about $2-4 more than at other places (not Duluth) for the most part. Sulry Bender 11.99...Tyranena 10.99 I think.....whatever...people must pay it but I ended up just getting a bottle of Borealis Fermentery beer and using my money on growlers on the trip...

That's it..thanks to all...

HoistinBrews and Chaz like this.
  37. dc55110

Beer Trader

I should have emphasized the peperoni more. They use a smoke peperoni that just takes the pizza over the top. Glad you enjoyed it. The beer selections is a their biggest down side.

38. hamham

is warehouse the only place that consistently stocks borealis? or are there other places in town i can check? we're heading up for a couple days this weekend and i wanted to find some to bring home.

39. ItGose

We will be pouring soured Edmund Imperial Stout aged on tart cherries at the Brewhouse for the holiday weekend. One keg only. FYI

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe