Easy way to check what is distributed to your state?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by emount91, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emount91

emount91 Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

I tried a search of the forum and didn't find exactly what I am looking for.

I was wondering if there is a website, system, compilation list, or anything of that matter to easily find out which breweries distribute to which states (i know you can somewhat figure it out by checking reviews of certain beers and where the BA is located, but that has its obvious pitfalls)? I know that a lot of breweries take it upon themselves to let their customers know where they can find their beer (like Stone), but a lot do not and you are left walking into liquor stores and asking for beers from brewing companies that the store probably has never even heard of.

for example, when I see a brew on social media that I am curious to try, I want to be able to look up if it is even distributed to my state or if I will have to travel or trade for it.

Anyone know of anything that makes that easy or do we just continue to guess and get odd looks from liquor store employees?

2. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

3. emount91

PERFECT! that is exactly the type of thing I was looking for, do you know how up-to-date it is kept? I can already see that Knee Deep is not on the list for CT, yet they just started distributing to some liquor stores here. same with Alpine.

4. papat444

It says Jan 25th so should be pretty accurate. I use it whenever i travel. Know if it could just cross reference with store inventories lol

hoptheology and emount91 like this.
  5. von_kaiser

von_kaiser Crusader (754) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

i've found it's usually 1-2 months off.....sometimes even greater (CIP alpine in CT). but for the most part it's pretty accurate.

emount91 likes this.
  6. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (515) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

As a counterpoint to Seekabrew- It's not very accurate. It can give you a rough idea but there have been plenty of places that get stuff that shouldn't, or don't that should. I know there ~5 breweries we get in Colorado not on the list, and 5-10 that we don't get that are on the list.

It also won't tell you that certain beers only get distributed to only a few shops or only to one or two cities. For example if you say "oh Georgia gets Creature Comforts" that's not a very accurate picture of the situation. Or "New York gets Other Half"

7. emount91

exactly, just like CT gets Lawson's, BUT only cans of Sip of Sunshine and Super Session. I think next to Lawson's on the CT list it says "Limited" though, still not much help.

8. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,189) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I highly recommend contacting John using the About page to update what is not current. I did this a while back and the information was added within a week.

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,556) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

The seekabrew website is only as accurate as the folks providing feedback. I have contacted them to make additions and they did so on the next update.

@Dan_K, I would encourage you to contact them with the additions that you are aware of.

The beer scene in the US is very dynamic with distribution changes happening on a regular (daily?) basis.

Cheers!

10. That_Bearded_Guy

That_Bearded_Guy Disciple (346) Jan 25, 2016 California
    Trader

This may seem obvious but, if I'm looking for something particular I almost always call the store to see if they have it before I leave the house. Not worth my time to drive somewhere just to ask somebody something I can ask over the phone. A lot of the time if they don't have it in stock they can give you a good idea on when they should have it or where the nearest location is that does. Of course this works better if you have good bottle shops in your area with knowledgable employees and not just some random guy at the local grocery store.

hoptheology, emount91 and donspublic like this.
  11. emount91

I do that too for whalez, since they like to hide them in CT. but I was looking for something that I could check during my free couple of minutes so I know what possibly COULD be at the store.

That_Bearded_Guy likes this.
  12. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

I go to the local packy?

13. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,380) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Actually, they do have a 3-tier system :wink:... Full distribution, Limited distribution, or Draft-only distribution.

14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,561) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I believe Seekabrew relies on updates from us, so anytime that anyone notices that info is out of date or missing, follow the instructions that accompany the website. This helps all of us in the long run who rely on this site.

emount91 likes this.
  15. poetpowr

poetpowr Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2014 Minnesota

just contact the site.

16. deleted_user_950283

deleted_user_950283 Crusader (796) Feb 25, 2015
    Trader

By state doesn't work well for Montana... different regions with different beers that are as far apart as other states in parts of the country... also not a complete list as far as the two cities I do most of my shopping in

17. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (2,101) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

This pretty much nails it on the head.

I've gone to Virginia and Florida within the last year, used seekabrew to get an idea of what I can look for and then, of course, went to the good folks here and started threads in those sub-forums on where's best to look and what local beers I should be looking for.

18. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (275) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

I sent them some updated info for NM back in October (about 15 changes/additions). It still hasn't been updated. Has anyone not seen their info get added?

19. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

One source of information you might check out is your state's liquor control commision web site. In PA there's a web link I can use to search the LCB database of beers registered for distribution into PA. While not perfect the list is pretty much up to date for most stuff.

emount91 likes this.
  20. seth27

seth27 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

Care to post that link? I'm from PA and never know such a thing existed

emount91 likes this.
  21. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Sure, here you go:

https://plcbplus.pa.gov/pub/Default.aspx?PossePresentation=RegisteredBrandSearch

It doesn't require any registration, etc. You can just start using it.

Enjoy!

PS--I have at least one beer distributor who's willing to go out of his way to find me a case of anything that comes bottled/canned and so far, when I'm willing to buy the whole case, he's come through, even on some hard to find stuff.

seth27 and emount91 like this.
  22. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (356) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

It's only as good as the info provided to the hosts. There's surely somewhere on that site you can report new distributions to.

23. BWood

BWood Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2015 California

What's a packy?

emount91 likes this.
  24. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,380) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

25. rmank

rmank Aspirant (281) Mar 26, 2012 South Carolina

I'm assuming it's short for "package store" the stores in which you purchase beer/liquor/wine. Every state calls them something different and if you're really lucky, some states allow you to buy all 3 in the grocery store.

26. BWood

BWood Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2015 California

California does all 3 .

27. RBowers

RBowers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Virginia

Can anyone tell me if there's a site that can give me directions to different places? Nevermind, I just used this thing called Google and discovered mapquest.

28. rmank

rmank Aspirant (281) Mar 26, 2012 South Carolina

SPOILED!

29. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,098) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

That's a great site. Is there any other site you could recommend to check beer freshness dating info?

emount91 and papat444 like this.
  30. papat444

Yep, check the link in my profile :slight_smile:

emount91 and cavedave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.